TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Rock on buddy, that is awesome! I cannot wait to hit these in a few weeks, I really liked them for the short period of time I hit them at the Kingdom. I love the looks and I really liked hitting them too.

The do feel incredible. They are not as harhs as some may think. But, they do let you know when you miss the ball on the screws.

I toed a couple of balls when testing these clubs and the forgiveness helped with consistency but I obviously lost distance as discussed earlier. I really can't wait to get them. I'm almost as excited about the DGXP shafts than I am about the actual club.

........ I'm almost as excited about the DGXP shafts than I am about the actual club.

What exactly excites you about these particular shafts? Just curious.

What exactly excites you about these particular shafts? Just curious.

Well I'm excited because my current clubs are a uniflex and the DGXP's I got are a stiff. Over the past few years my swing speed has increased and my uniflex shafts are a little too "regular" for my liking. I think the S300's will help me with my ball flight and consistentcy. They also just feel really good and smooth.

Yeah, agree with the "good and smooth" description. I was thinking that was mostly the club head, but clearly the combination is a great one. I swung the KBS Tour stiff, DGXP Regular and Stiff, and Project X 5.5 at my demo day, all on a TP CB 6-iron. The Project X was the only shaft that really didn't impress me given my needs. Just didn't feel as lively. I thought the KBS Tour and DGXP shafts had similar flights and similar feel - smooth control, high-ish launch and soft landing. I was pushing the ball consistently about 8 to 10 degrees both the stiff shafts; and even the regular version of the KBS Tour shaft is rated for swing speeds a bit higher than mine. After some deep thoughts for about two days, I went with the Dynamic Gold XP in Regular, and think it will be a great fit for my swing.

Yeah, agree with the "good and smooth" description. I was thinking that was mostly the club head, but clearly the combination is a great one. I swung the KBS Tour stiff, DGXP Regular and Stiff, and Project X 5.5 at my demo day, all on a TP CB 6-iron. The Project X was the only shaft that really didn't impress me given my needs. Just didn't feel as lively. I thought the KBS Tour and DGXP shafts had similar flights and similar feel - smooth control, high-ish launch and soft landing. I was pushing the ball consistently about 8 to 10 degrees both the stiff shafts; and even the regular version of the KBS Tour shaft is rated for swing speeds a bit higher than mine. After some deep thoughts for about two days, I went with the Dynamic Gold XP in Regular, and think it will be a great fit for my swing.

very nice, I am guessing you were looking for a bit of a higher ball flight

One-T -

Yes, I was looking for a higher ball flight on my irons. I have Cleveland CG Gold irons right now - flighted shafts. Even on my very good shots, the flight path of the ball with the Cleveland irons is pretty much an arcing lob. I really enjoyed the CB irons in that the flight was steeper and straighter, and then just dropped fairly softly with a bit of roll. I felt like I had more control and the club was more consistent than what I'm used to. At least that's what I believe based on about 40 balls hit at the demo day.

The loft of the CB 3-6 irons is 1 degree stronger than my current irons. Drops to half a degree on the 7 iron, then the lofts are the same for the 8 and 9. Just throwing that in as an aside, as the CB's have been compared to the lofts on the Cleveland CG7 and other clubs.

I've been playing around with the TaylorMade Speed Sleeve which has really improved my iron play - in just a few days. I had a maddening push slice I couldn't figure out, and the Speed Sleeve cured it in one range session. I don't want to derail this thread, so if anyone is interested, check it out here:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?18907-TaylorMade-TR3-Speed-Sleeve-Training-Aid

One-T -

Yes, I was looking for a higher ball flight on my irons. I have Cleveland CG Gold irons right now - flighted shafts. Even on my very good shots, the flight path of the ball with the Cleveland irons is pretty much an arcing lob. I really enjoyed the CB irons in that the flight was steeper and straighter, and then just dropped fairly softly with a bit of roll. I felt like I had more control and the club was more consistent than what I'm used to. At least that's what I believe based on about 40 balls hit at the demo day.

The loft of the CB 3-6 irons is 1 degree stronger than my current irons. Drops to half a degree on the 7 iron, then the lofts are the same for the 8 and 9. Just throwing that in as an aside, as the CB's have been compared to the lofts on the Cleveland CG7 and other clubs.

I've been playing around with the TaylorMade Speed Sleeve which has really improved my iron play - in just a few days. I had a maddening push slice I couldn't figure out, and the Speed Sleeve cured it in one range session. I don't want to derail this thread, so if anyone is interested, check it out here:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?18907-TaylorMade-TR3-Speed-Sleeve-Training-Aid

you are spot on with the lofts as I am the one who compared them to the CG7's. I think you are going to really enjoy the CB's. But you will need to post some pics when you get them :)

Originally posted by One-T:
you are spot on with the lofts as I am the one who compared them to the CG7's. I think you are going to really enjoy the CB's. But you will need to post some pics when you get them :)

Oh undoubtedly! Plus it'll give anyone a fair shot at making fun of the left hander! (me)

I have the r9 in graphite. There is no comparison with cbs. I have ordered cbs as they are like butter to hit. Like r9s but just a bit longer per iron 2 metres but feel sublime

I have the r9 in graphite. There is no comparison with cbs. I have ordered cbs as they are like butter to hit. Like r9s but just a bit longer per iron 2 metres but feel sublime

Congratulations Bobbyboy. Did you choose the graphite or steel shafts in your CB's? I was looking seriously at the R9 last year, and decided to wait. I'm glad I did as the CBs seem perfect.

Nice!!! Glad you got you some new CB's and came in here to tell us. Welcome To THP!!

After much debate and going back and forth between these and the MC's I decided to pull the trigger on a set of CB's.

Heads bent 1* upright with Dynamic Gold XL S300's soft stepped.

The whole crew.
View attachment 2372

Most beautiful CB I've laid eyes on.
View attachment 2373

Top line and offset on par with the old MX-300's.
View attachment 2374

The whole bag. CB's just add to all the sexiness going on here!
View attachment 2375

Congrats on the new irons Colt. I thought you just got the MX-300s and they were as you put it fantastic for you. Is there a reason you changed?

Last edited:
Sweet irons! They sure looks pretty in your bag.

Thats awesome Colt, they look good in your bag!

Awesome Colt, enjoy the new sticks.

nice pick up colt....let us know how you like these as you get used to them

Thanks everyone.

JB, I love the MX-300's and they aren't going anywhere. But, I'm just one of those people that has to try out new stuff that interests me. It gets expensive, but I enjoy it. Both sets will still be getting play.

Colt. Im curious as to what made you choose the CB's? What was your initial thoughts when you first hit them? Just curious to hear your thoughts.

I hit the CB's at a demo day at a local military course. I really liked the way that the CB's flew a lot like my MX-300's and played a lot like them. I love the 300's and it seemed like to me that the CB's were identical in flight, distance, and accuracy. The CB's felt just as smooth with the same DG XP shafts I'm used to. The distance was also much more consistent when I put a couple a little off the toe or a little high on the face. Basically they almost felt like I was playing my beloved 300's but I could still hit these good on an off day.

The flight gets up in the air quick, but it's not lazy by any means. Really jets up but never balloons on you. The feel is purely forged like, which I really enjoy. I didn't feel like I was hitting a partially cast club. The bigger head seemed a little clumsy to me when I was swinging it, but I can deal with that. I also really appreciated the fact that they hid the cavity from view at address in all of the irons.

Last edited:
this is the first time I've heard 'clunky' used to describe these irons. personally I think they're anything but, especially at address
I hit the CB's at a demo day at a local military course. I really liked the way that the CB's flew a lot like my MX-300's and played a lot like them. I love the 300's and it seemed like to me that the CB's were identical in flight, distance, and accuracy. The CB's felt just as smooth with the same DG XP shafts I'm used to. The distance was also much more consistent when I put a couple a little off the toe or a little high on the face. Basically they almost felt like I was playing my beloved 300's but I could still hit these good on an off day.

The flight gets up in the air quick, but it's not lazy by any means. Really jets up but never balloons on you. The feel is purely forged like, which I really enjoy. I didn't feel like I was hitting a partially cast club. The bigger head seemed a little clumsy to me when I was swinging it, but I can deal with that. I also really appreciated the fact that they hid the cavity from view at address in all of the irons.

this is the first time I've heard 'clunky' used to describe these irons. personally I think they're anything but, especially at address

I said clumsy. Not clunky. I think that these are definately the most sleek CB's out there, but Im just not used to feeling the heavier head. And although the turf interaction is great with these they just don't quite cut through like I'm used to. Nothing that detracts from performance. Just different than what I'm used to.

Kind of like driving a Shelby Cobra as opposed to a Porche. Both great, but in their own right. Make sense?

The feel is purely forged like, which I really enjoy. I didn't feel like I was hitting a partially cast club.

You would like my laptop....Its forged and buttery soft.

The keyboard is so smooth. I just feel like I type better when I use it. Don't get me started on the display.

Back