Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

I noticed when I was cutting off the stock grip that it seemed very thin. It was probably the easier grip I've ever cut off in my life because it was so thin.

Yup it was the easiest to cut through, here's the shocker... there was actually 2 layers of tape underneath that they used. And it was still that skinny.

First time on the course yesterday and my first time hitting the Mashie. I agree with the previous post about teeing the ball low. You definitely get the most out of the club that way. I just love the feel of this club when you make solid contact off the tee or off the fairway, but lets me honest I don't spend much time in the fairway.

I can't wait to keep using this club. The golf courses in SW Wisconsin have some perfect holes that I think the Mashie will definitely help me with.

used the m1 off the tee 3 times today and hit good shots with it. Also hit it from the fairway on the first par 5 and GPS'd it at 227 which is good for me. I only took one swing with the M4 and that was on a par 5 from 200 out(with wind at my back). The ball hit on the green and just rolled off(which led to a Niblick and a tap in birdie). I really loved the mashie today.

used the m1 off the tee 3 times today and hit good shots with it. Also hit it from the fairway on the first par 5 and GPS'd it at 227 which is good for me. I only took one swing with the M4 and that was on a par 5 from 200 out(with wind at my back). The ball hit on the green and just rolled off(which led to a Niblick and a tap in birdie). I really loved the mashie today.

I've been looking into getting the M1 to replace my existing FW which is now in timeout. Ddec, do you prefer the M1 for more off the tee or in the FW or both? I'm really looking for a hybrid with forgiveness and consistency and after following this thread for quite sometime I think the mashie is a great option. I'm going to a cleveland demo day soon.

I am consistently hitting my Mashie 4 and 5 hybrids really well. Today I had a 135 yd downhill shot. I was pondering what to hit so I decided to try something new. I pulled out my Mashie 5 and hit an easy punch and run. It worked perfectly and I ended up about 10' to the right of the flag on the green. I have never considered that shot before but I will certainly consider it in the future, especially when I am not feeling so confident with my irons.

nice imagination KB

Picked up the Mashie M3 today. Had to work tonight so no range time. I'll be playing tomorrow, so the Mashie will be getting christened on the course without range time. I hope all goes well with her.

I've tried skimming this LONG thread.

Any on course experiences with the "tour" version yet?

I had the worst day ever with the Mashies. Since getting the M2, I don't think I've hit the damn thing straight once. I can't figure it out either. It's going a long way, and it feels and sounds fantastic, but I cannot for the life of me stop it from drawing. It's not a snap hook, but a good 20-30 yard draw. I swear I needed a thicker grip on it, but I'm terrified of jacking up the swing weight. Perhaps I'm putting too much thought into it?

I had the worst day ever with the Mashies. Since getting the M2, I don't think I've hit the damn thing straight once. I can't figure it out either. It's going a long way, and it feels and sounds fantastic, but I cannot for the life of me stop it from drawing. It's not a snap hook, but a good 20-30 yard draw. I swear I needed a thicker grip on it, but I'm terrified of jacking up the swing weight. Perhaps I'm putting too much thought into it?

Have you been using the M2 off the tee as well? Is the same thing happening?

Have you been using the M2 off the tee as well? Is the same thing happening?

Yeah, it is for me, the draws are a bit less pronounced off the deck than off the tee. I have to be honest, it's starting to annoy me. I just don't hit draws, never have. The funny thing is, this problem is mostly on the range. Once I get the Mashies on the golf course, it seems to settle itself down.

that's a problem I have when I make any kind of changes to a club. I get too numbers conscience, thinking of swing weight and club weight. The good thing is TC, if you change the grip and you find that it messes with the club too much for your liking, it's an easy fix to get it back the way it was.

You might be dude. You gave me this advice once, if it's breezy, swing easy. I use this on all my mashie shots. I dont know, maybe itll help to have that thought?

That is weird. I have had more draw problems with the M3 over the M1. I can even get a nice fade with the M1 sometimes. It seems like the M2 would have less of a draw than the M3. I would double check your ball position. That makes a difference with the Mashie ball flight for me. One last thing, do you think you are sweeping the M2 more than the M3. I think even thought it has a lower loft you still need to hit it like an iron.

Keep with it, it will come around soon.

I think I'm putting a new grip on them stat. ddec's right, if it effs up even more, it's easy to go back.

Also TC if it is not happening as much on the course as it is on the range then I would not let it trouble you so much. If the situation were reversed then i would be concerned.

I got a chance to hit the M1 and M2 yesterday and this hyrid is great. It was great off the tee and the M1 was suprinsingly smooth off the matt. I hear a lot of great things about this club out of the rough from this forum so I'm excited to hit this club from the grass as well. The M1 might also be a viable replacement for the 3W as I was getting excellent distance with it.

I think I'm putting a new grip on them stat. ddec's right, if it effs up even more, it's easy to go back.

I don't hear that often, but when I do it sounds great!

I've tried skimming this LONG thread.

Any on course experiences with the "tour" version yet?

PM received and reply sent! Hope I can help.

Yeah, it is for me, the draws are a bit less pronounced off the deck than off the tee. I have to be honest, it's starting to annoy me. I just don't hit draws, never have. The funny thing is, this problem is mostly on the range. Once I get the Mashies on the golf course, it seems to settle itself down.

I have seen you when you occasionally put a draw on the ball and I know how much it annoys you. I hope you can get it sorted out man. Maybe you can contact cleveland and get the weight of the grip and find a aftermarket grip in midsize that will match.

PM received and reply sent! Hope I can help.

I have seen you when you occasionally put a draw on the ball and I know how much it annoys you. I hope you can get it sorted out man. Maybe you can contact cleveland and get the weight of the grip and find a aftermarket grip in midsize that will match.

The weight should be at the butt of the grip. The 2011 Cleveland woods and hybrids have that.

TC, I put a Winn lite midsize on my M3 and it works great and doesn't change the swing weight at all. It wasn't fun but I got it on there.

TC, I put a Winn lite midsize on my M3 and it works great and doesn't change the swing weight at all. It wasn't fun but I got it on there.

Thanks dude, but I'm not too fond of the Winn's myself. They aren't durable enough for me. I think I'm just gonna do my thing and slap some VDR's on them and see what happens.

TC, have you changed your set up much with the M2? I know that Jrod was not happy about the same thing (big draw) and he stepped up a bit closer to the ball and it went away. He was smoking that thing very straight last weekend.

Anyway, I forgot to stop back in to say thanks for the tip on the arrows on the grip. No lefties last weekend with the Mashie. Straight or fade, which is what I'm looking for.

Back