Future of Product Testing on THP

I don't know how testers are chosen. I've been a member since September 2009, have more than 4000 posts, and I've never been chosen to test equipment. There are no favorites.
Favorites for testing, that is the implication when the question of "who do you want to see reviews from?" was put out there.

I think THP is pretty good about spreading the love around to all hcp'ers, that's clear with the current staff of testers. I wouldn't worry about that too much.
Since the vast majority of golfers are mid to high-handicappers that's who would probably give the "best" reviews, if you catch my meaning.

Real quick addition to my post, I haven't entered most of the testing threads because I don't feel like I can commit to the time it takes to do the testing because of the job I have. Which is why I didn't apply to be a tester when that was done a while back. People who test, need to take it seriously and be able to dedicate some time to actually test. Testing is a privilege, not a right. I figured people got disappointed at not being picked, but I am surprised it merited a thread on the matter. And for what it's worth, I've never been a tester.

P.S. and it ups to 22 pages, there were 4 more pages as I made my earlier post! I amstill trying to get through the whole thing!

To me a review is a review is a review as far as equipment is concerned.

You are in the minority in this. There is a reason that TM does not have Paula & Natalie selling R11 drivers or SuperTris.

Not necessarily all scratch golfers, but there will be less on staff who are 25+ HC to demo the equipment best for beginners and play the equipment like a beginner.

Check our staff page again. We are about EVERY golfer, not scratch golfers. In fact we only have one scratch golfer on staff and that is our teaching pro. We have a couple of low indexes and some high indexes. We are all about every type of golfer and if you check through our forum testing, we make sure a good mix is represented every time.

I don't know how testers are chosen. I've been a member since September 2009, have more than 4000 posts, and I've never been chosen to test equipment. There are no favorites.

To be fair, you have backed out of a few after entering.

I read very quickly and this thread grew faster than I could read. I was going to respond to a number of posts but as I read on, someone else voiced my sentiments. I too came to this forum by way of reading reviews. I was intrigued by the way this forum has been operated. I have owned a couple of forums over the last 15 years and one of those boasted over 100,000 members, so I can appreciate what the powers that be have to deal with.
I love this place, I have strong feelings for a lot of the members here. I dislike a few as well. This is the way it is in life.
There is one solution that has not been mentioned, so I will voice it now.
I hate whiners. I always have. I believe they are a waste of oxygen. Post their names and let the people deal with their whiny attitudes. Start a whiners forum and adjust their permissions so that is all they can see. It will not take long and they will get the message and go away.
JB, GG, THPStaff, you folks have an absolutely tremendous thing going here that serves it's community very well. You will never be able to appease everyone, so do not change things to try to. I like the idea of paying for shipping and I love the idea of "playing" it forward,(though I despise Haley Joel Osment, he is a whiner). I hope that there are not any big changes in this area as I really do believe it is fine as it is. Like they say," if it ain't broke, beat the snot out of those that whine about it"! Have a great day and SEMPER FI!

P.S. My anger management classes were canceled this week so my therapist could play some golf, go figger!

I think THP is pretty good about spreading the love around to all hcp'ers, that's clear with the current staff of testers. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Well, regardless of what happens, I do enjoy the reviews. Ill stay quiet now :D

Since the vast majority of golfers are mid to high-handicappers that's who would probably give the "best" reviews, if you catch my meaning.

It depends on the person, their activity level, their understanding of equipment and more. Its not just about a skill set, but an understanding of what people want to read and hear as well as what is important info.

oh, well then I will say something that has really bothered me. So, before the Morgan Cup, I had posted that I was nervous for the day of and getting in. Well, I recieved a PM pretty much stating that I should have no reason to be nervous having TC as a brother. He will be able to get me in and get me ALL the answers. Well, that was wrong and quite frankly pissed me off! Then they tried to turn it around as a joke and it obviously was not. I have not told anyone about this but needed to get it off my chest as I was pissed. I had to do exactly as everyone else did to get into the Morgan Cup. And FWIW, I have no advantage over anyone else to get anything just because he is my brother, I happen to think I spend a lot of time on here, I never complain, and I always try to do whats best for THP. So, if anyone wants to sound off on TC being my bro then please do so!

Love, Overton

awesome, I got negative rep for this comment that all PM's should remain private. I didnt throw any names out there and they didnt sign their negative rep but I have an idea who it was. Look, if I could have given negative rep for that PM than I would have. it was very uncalled for and left a sour taste in my mouth. so yes, all PM's should remain private, but when I get accused or my family members get accused of stuff then I dont take that well. Thanks for the negative rep, I needed a little red in there.

It depends on the person, their activity level, their understanding of equipment and more. Its not just about a skill set, but an understanding of what people want to read and hear as well as what is important info.
I agree. Sometimes the person doesn't know what they need to hear. Do you know what I mean? Not out of stupidity, but because they are uninformed. Hopefully forums like this can educate them so when it comes time to make a purchasing decision they can make an informed one.

awesome, I got negative rep for this comment that all PM's should remain private. I didnt throw any names out there and they didnt sign their negative rep but I have an idea who it was. Look, if I could have given negative rep for that PM than I would have. it was very uncalled for and left a sour taste in my mouth. so yes, all PM's should remain private, but when I get accused or my family members get accused of stuff then I dont take that well. Thanks for the negative rep, I needed a little red in there.

Lets remember to keep rep off the board. If you have an issue with it, contact GG or myself. Thanks.

To be 100% honest when I first signed up for this forum, it was definitely for the contests. The 19 days of Christmas if I recall properly. And when I was waiting for the announcement of winners I began poking around and found more and more extremely useful information to the point where I forgot I signed up originally for a contest. The testing forum to me is completely different. I didn't feel I won or subsequently lost anything nor did I hold any ill will for not being picked. Because its not a contest. As some people have mentioned it is definitely an obligation at that point unto which I was actually stressed out writing my first post on Polara golf balls! Silly I know but I wanted to be sure I provided my opinion in a coherent matter thinking others might make actually make a decision (yay or nay) based on my opinion.

Regardless, THP Testing Threads are almost the "Consumer Reports" of Golf in my opinion. You get truly unbiased commentary from the everyday golf to scratch. Whats could be better than that? I don't want to hear ONLY from a scratch golfer about a piece of equipment because thats not how I play. I also don't want to hear only from the average joe because he might not know how the product actually makes you better or worse.

So for what its worth I think the system is nearly perfect AS IS. The only thing I would understand that could/should change is to charge testers for shipping. That also seems to be a consensus. As someone else stated, winners of contests often pay for shipping AND tax on prizes.

I know myself I don't like to hear whining or complaining when not picked but seriously those users shouldn't be on this forum in my opinion.

Although its not a poll/vote but I would cast mine in the ballot of leaving it how it is with the addendum of charging for shipping.

Many thanks to THP. Where else would you be able to express your opinion in such a forum and not be flamed for toting or not toting the company line?

I like the way THP offers their forum members the chance to test products. The challenge that is now happening because of the growth of the site is trying to make everyone happy.

Some have put some great ideas forth that could solve problems but what usually happens is a new set of challenges emerge. I haven't taken the time to read everyone's input but I have noticed a couple of suggestions. I too thought about having a minimum number of post to qualify to be a tester. I wouldn't have a problem with that but I also think it may prompt people to reply to threads just for the sake of increasing their post count but not really contributing to the topic of the thread.

I personally don't like to respond to threads if I don't have something specific to contribute but I still like to read other people's thoughts on the topic. The problem I find in general in today's world is there is so much information coming at us it is hard to sift through what is relevant and what is not. I am sure JB dislikes having to get people to stay on the thread topic but it has to be done at times. This is one example of why having a minimum post count may not be the best idea.

Maybe there is a way (when the opportunity arises) that THP can get people involved even if their post counts are low, high and everywhere in between. I totally don't expect that this can happen all the time but this may change the perception of things.

I wouldn't want too much to change here on THP as I love the feedback about all things golf related but I totally understand that THP is growing and are experiencing challenges as all great communities do. I am sure THP will do what is right for their mission and as many have already stated, you can't always please everyone.

P.S. Thanks for being open with your members once again THP.

Neg rep -- honestly, big whoop right?

^

No disrespect at THP's rep system there though.

Lets remember to keep rep off the board. If you have an issue with it, contact GG or myself. Thanks.

sorry!!

To be 100% honest when I first signed up for this forum, it was definitely for the contests. The 19 days of Christmas if I recall properly. And when I was waiting for the announcement of winners I began poking around and found more and more extremely useful information to the point where I forgot I signed up originally for a contest. The testing forum to me is completely different. I didn't feel I won or subsequently lost anything nor did I hold any ill will for not being picked. Because its not a contest. As some people have mentioned it is definitely an obligation at that point unto which I was actually stressed out writing my first post on Polara golf balls! Silly I know but I wanted to be sure I provided my opinion in a coherent matter thinking others might make actually make a decision (yay or nay) based on my opinion.

Regardless, THP Testing Threads are almost the "Consumer Reports" of Golf in my opinion. You get truly unbiased commentary from the everyday golf to scratch. Whats could be better than that? I don't want to hear ONLY from a scratch golfer about a piece of equipment because thats not how I play. I also don't want to hear only from the average joe because he might not know how the product actually makes you better or worse.

So for what its worth I think the system is nearly perfect AS IS. The only thing I would understand that could/should change is to charge testers for shipping. That also seems to be a consensus. As someone else stated, winners of contests often pay for shipping AND tax on prizes.

I know myself I don't like to hear whining or complaining when not picked but seriously those users shouldn't be on this forum in my opinion.

Although its not a poll/vote but I would cast mine in the ballot of leaving it how it is with the addendum of charging for shipping.

Many thanks to THP. Where else would you be able to express your opinion in such a forum and not be flamed for toting or not toting the company line?

Thanks for being honest spaceman it's a great to see that our message we give out actually hits newer members and delivers. It's awesome to see you realized THP is more than just contests and there are great people here.

It's better you admitted to being here for the contests than most people do and just deny.

Wow! Lot's to read and plenty to digest. Plenty of sentiments that have been said already that I echo as well. Here's my .02 cents:

- I think it's unique that THP does its testing in such a format and I think that's what separates THP as a forum in that they trust that the reviewers chosen will put their best foot forward in doing a review. To that, don't change a thing. There will always be sour grapes and I'll be honest that I was a little disappointed that the Morgan Cup had a hdcp requirement that eliminated many of the members. Do I understand why they did it? Absolutely. Did I complain? Nope and if anything it just motivates me more to improve my game so I can make sure I qualify for the next one.

- Do not do a VIP type selection process. It just makes it look more elitist and one of the endearing qualities of THP that most folks on here like (judging from previous posts) is the fact that we treat each other very much like a family. It's like asking to choose which of three brothers/sisters is your favorite.

- I do agree that if chosen for any kind of testing or contest, the recipient should pay shipping. One, it keeps THP costs down and two, it opens it up to members overseas. I also agree with Overton's statement that the testers should keep the clubs to do as they wish. Call it a payment of sorts for writing up a review. Saying that though, I hope whoever gets chosen is responsible enough to a) write an honest review, b) if the item is not for their use then to do the appropriate thing (whatever that may be to that person), c) be open for feedback regardless if it's positive or negative (the caveat being that negative feedback be constructive and not just, "You suck!"). THP trusts you enough to let you write about a product they were entrusted by the manufacturers to review, do the right thing and if there's even a slight question about whether or not you can deliver then maybe you should pass on the opportunity (because as JB always says there will always be opportunities in the future).

- The growth of THP currently is astonishing and being a member for close to a year and a half now it's staggering the amount of product there is to test now as compared to when I first joined. It's a testament to the type of site THP is and how our voice, the voice of the common man/woman, do in fact count with the manufacturers. I just hope that the growth doesn't stop and hopefully we'll all consider this thread a part of the growing process.

Thanks for being honest spaceman it's a great to see that our message we give out actually hits newer members and delivers. It's awesome to see you realized THP is more than just contests and there are great people here.

It's better you admitted to being here for the contests than most people do and just deny.

I actually didn't know there was a contests forum until a month or so after I joined. I spent too much time lurking in the reviews and golf forums.

Wow, when I started looking at this thread there were 16 pages. Now it's up to 18 pages long. I am replying in the middle of page 4.

Here's my thoughts.

JB, leave the testing as you have been doing it. A VIP program I don't think will work, as it could alienate those who aren't VIP's as was mentioned earlier. And what exactly would a VIP be? Requiring donations could work, but then you would have the people who say, "I donated, why wasn't I picked?" Requiring people to send the product back could help some, but you know there would be people who wouldn't send the product back.

Someone suggested making a minimum 100 or 250 post count requirement for testing. We saw what happened with the Morgan Cup qualifying. Better than a post count only requirement, I'd suggest a tenure requirement with a post count requirement as well. Nothing crazy, but to see so many people's first post be "I'd love to test these out" gets to you after a while. A few months, maybe six months, with some kind of post requirement as well, such as 100 posts a month for however long you want to set the minimum tenure to be able to test to be. That would be 3 or 4 posts a day. I don't know how "active" that would actually be, but you don't want to tell people they have to make 10 posts a day either. If people want to be a true tester for THP, they can at least participate a little bit and not just show up at testing time. And how hard is it to make 3 or 4 posts a day? And if the tenure was three months but you've been here for six months, then it would be less than 2 posts a day. I don't think that's asking anyone to be too active.

If you make the minimum length 3 months, that's 300 posts. We have over 200 people with over 300 posts right now. Maybe 100 posts a month is too many (I don't think so!). Make it 50 posts a month. We have over 300 members with 150 posts right now. Either of those is a pretty deep testing pool. What I am NOT saying is to require 100 posts a month every month. I'm just saying if the minimum tenure is three months and 300 posts, then anyone who has been here longer than 3 months and has more than 300 posts, qualifies for testing. Even if you've been here 2 years and only have 301 posts. But if the key word is active, maybe you could add "with a minimum of 50 posts in the last 30 days" so someone who got a bunch of posts early and disappeared for a year or so couldn't just come in and be a tester.

The above was originally going to just be an idea, but after typing it all out, I like this idea a lot. I personally like the 6 month tenure with 600 posts before you would be allowed to test. Three months would possibly work too, but I still like the 100 posts per month reuirement (again just for the time it takes to get tenure). It may have already been brought up, but like I said, I am only on page 4.

Smalls, I know your love of THP, and I like the concept of your idea, but I've got to pick a small bone with you - 100 posts a month I think is high. There are only 219 members with 300+ posts (if I used the search tool right) and only 8 who joined after 12/20/10 and already have 300. I've been here 10 months and just passed 500. Some are more active for sure, but I certainly wouldn't consider myself inactive.

Anyway, I like the concept, just think the numbers need some downward tweaking.

3 months tenure and 150 posts to test anything.

6 months tenure and 300 posts to test clubs since they're more expensive and THP is taking a bigger risk on you.

It's just my opinion, but active to me is 10 posts a week I guess. That's 40/mo. and 520/year. To me that shows you're here routinely which is and should be a requirement.

Sure, I played bogey plus yesterday. I'd be a terrible choice to test a set of blades. That is where your prerequisites come in. I'd like to think I would be considered as a GI or SGI tester though.

just my opinion but that's barely more than 1/day. I don't think that's overly active at all

It's just my opinion, but active to me is 10 posts a week I guess. That's 40/mo. and 520/year. To me that shows you're here routinely which is and should be a requirement.

You and TC are brothers? ;) HAHA That is not a cool PM!

From a newcomer's stand point the fact that I want to participate in testing is a testament to how well things are run. I try to pitch in when I can and share my 30 years of golf experience. I would consider it an honor to test equipment, but not a dishonor if I never test equipment.

When the season ramps up I plan to share my experiences with some of the equipment I own and will own. Past that I will continue to enjoy reading everyone's take on all the new tools out there. And for what it's worth, I think a "VIP" club is poor idea. What attracts me to this site is the fellas that are testing are no more or less skilled or wired into the business than I am. This gives the reviews a bit more credibility as opposed to Golf Digest or some such outfit. I know this may not be true with a "VIP" club, but perception goes a long way.

just my opinion but that's barely more than 1/day. I don't think that's overly active at all

Agreed but it all depends on someones life style. Look at me for instance, I am done school everyday at around 11:00 and usually bang out close to 100 posts a day. That's just my style though because I am not busy at all. It's understandable for someone with a full time schedule to not post much. I hope I can be as active as I am now when I start work.

very true....but if you're going to come onto THP at any point in time of the day and with all the different threads, etc going on you're only going to make one post per day?

Agreed but it all depends on someones life style. Look at me for instance, I am done school everyday at around 11:00 and usually bang out close to 100 posts a day. That's just my style though because I am not busy at all. It's understandable for someone with a full time schedule to not post much. I hope I can be as active as I am now when I start work.

Back