TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

Hooray for the spring thaw! Hit 'em well P4B!

Well I got to hit off some grass today, that was a pleasant surprise indeed. I started with a 9 iron and immediately started feeling it and loving the MB irons. I was getting the ball to fly nice straight and pretty high. I worked my way around to different clubs and got the 7 iron out and had the same results, good and straight and pretty high. The club does indeed cut through the grass pretty well, it doesn't like to be hit fat and that's my biggest miss out on the course. I'm definitely going to need to get that miss fixed to be able to have success with these in my bag. Here's where things sort of soured on me. After stroking some solid 7i shots I went to a 5i and suddenly things weren't going so great anymore. Indoors on the mats I didn't have any issues hitting the 4 or 5 irons but outside on grass I just struggled mightily. I kept at it and I managed to pull a few good shots off but even the good shots weren't great. I will have to do some serious swing tuning to feel confident with this in my hand with a shot of 185 yards, especially if there's trouble between me and the hole. To be sure my swing didn't go to garbage I dropped back down first to a PW to hit some balls at the 100yd sign and things immediately went back to good. High and right online, flying over the 100 yd sign by about 15 to 20 yards just like I'd expect. I worked my way back to the 7 iron and there I was again able to land the balls right online with the 150 and going 10 yards or so past it, just like I'd expect out of a 7 iron. I wanted to end my range session well so I left it at that and didn't dig a long iron out again. Now that I've finally gotten these outside I am not quite as excited as I was before, I must have really been getting a lot of help with the mats I had been hitting off, which I suppose I should have expected. I'll be out there again this weekend working these over so I'll be sure to report back how things go. It's worth mentioning that the grass was not in very good shape at all, it was long and wet so I'm not ready to say that I can't hit these long irons until I get on some good turf. I'll get that this weekend and report back.

Thanks for reading!

Great update P4B. Long irons are my bugaboo right now as well. I guess that is why they make Mashies!

Great feedback P4B. Matts definitely can impact how a session goes I believe. Hopefully you'll find the magic again soon though.

Have you tried the other irons out on the grass P4B? Does the problem get worse as you work your way into the long irons?

good stuff p4b!

Have you tried the other irons out on the grass P4B? Does the problem get worse as you work your way into the long irons?
Well it was weird, I was hitting first the 9i, then the 7i before going to the 5. I noticed a couple shots with the 7 didn't go great but I figured that was more my swing that time. Then I got to the 5 and suddenly nothing was going well. So yeah I had them all on grass. I did hit probably 2 balls that would have worked with the 5 iron, but 2 good out of probably 20 balls isn't a good average. I am really looking forward to hitting them again and soon, this will not sit well with me and I'll have to know what the cause was so expect another update this weekend.

P4B I am sure you are going to kill these things! You have a great swing and these will respond to that swing very well!

Good write up Jake. Nothing wrong with not being able to be as precise with these long irons. That's probably why most touring professionals like to bag long irons that have more forgiveness. Keep up the good work though buddy.

Well it was weird, I was hitting first the 9i, then the 7i before going to the 5. I noticed a couple shots with the 7 didn't go great but I figured that was more my swing that time. Then I got to the 5 and suddenly nothing was going well. So yeah I had them all on grass. I did hit probably 2 balls that would have worked with the 5 iron, but 2 good out of probably 20 balls isn't a good average. I am really looking forward to hitting them again and soon, this will not sit well with me and I'll have to know what the cause was so expect another update this weekend.

I'm sure you'll find more of a groove with these as time goes on. I look forward to reading your progress!

I got out to the range with these today, I had much MUCH better turf than what I was really struggling off of on Thursday. As always I started off with some 9 iron shots and I was very happy with my ball flight and the distance I was getting. Hitting into a fairly stiff breeze I hit a lot of lower shots and found the trajectory manipulation to be just as easy as I thought it was off the mats I had been hitting off of. I really like that aspect of these irons in comparison to the GI Burner 2.0 irons I've been playing, sure I can keep those low but they really want to just launch the ball so high it isn't nearly as easy. 7 iron was next and here I tried a little harder to hit some shots harder to try to get a better sense of my yardages figured out. I really like how the ball cuts through the turf, the edges are sharp and it really makes a nice clean divot. Hitting the 7 iron I found that shots not hit in the center do a.) sting and b.) come up well short of the target. Alright now it's on to the long irons, my real killer the other day. Today my swing felt much better and that plus the better grass to hit off of really made a difference in the long irons. I have been working harder at getting my club face more square at impact and getting my divot to point in the same direction as my intended ball flight. I had gotten into a weird thing of my divots pointing well left of target and my club being open at impact, that would spell disaster hitting these irons but today things were really working well and I hit some pretty solid long iron shots. Because things went so well with the 5 iron I decided to hit some 4i shots as well. Starting off I hit a few off a tee to emulate a long iron shot on a par 3 and here even more so than the 7 iron I found that missed shots really come up well short. I hit a couple just perfect on the button and man I gotta tell you, there's no feeling like it! On Thursday I couldn't hit these long irons out of my shadow, today I'm hit much better and have regained some of that confidence I had early on. Next step is playing a round, my course opens Monday so I probably better head out there after work for a quick 9 at least. At my course most of my iron shots on par 4s and par 5s will be with something 7 iron on down but we do have 3 par 3 holes that I'll really need to be able to count on my 4 and 5 irons, one of them you have to clear a lot of water and believe me, that pond loves pulling in shots that are not struck very well, the other 2 have bunkers short so you definitely want to be able to hit an iron shot 180 to 200 yards on those 3 holes, that'll be the big test for me. I'll report back what I find, stay tuned!

I'll tell you one cool thing about playing these irons....seeing guys like this playing them too! Justin Rose at Transitions...

roseT1.jpg

Taking these out again today after the Morgan Cup entry, gonna focus on the scoring irons. Pretty excited!

Any updates?

great write up P4B! sounds like you and the 4i are becoming fast friends!

I got out to the range with these today, I had much MUCH better turf than what I was really struggling off of on Thursday. As always I started off with some 9 iron shots and I was very happy with my ball flight and the distance I was getting. Hitting into a fairly stiff breeze I hit a lot of lower shots and found the trajectory manipulation to be just as easy as I thought it was off the mats I had been hitting off of. I really like that aspect of these irons in comparison to the GI Burner 2.0 irons I've been playing, sure I can keep those low but they really want to just launch the ball so high it isn't nearly as easy. 7 iron was next and here I tried a little harder to hit some shots harder to try to get a better sense of my yardages figured out. I really like how the ball cuts through the turf, the edges are sharp and it really makes a nice clean divot. Hitting the 7 iron I found that shots not hit in the center do a.) sting and b.) come up well short of the target. Alright now it's on to the long irons, my real killer the other day. Today my swing felt much better and that plus the better grass to hit off of really made a difference in the long irons. I have been working harder at getting my club face more square at impact and getting my divot to point in the same direction as my intended ball flight. I had gotten into a weird thing of my divots pointing well left of target and my club being open at impact, that would spell disaster hitting these irons but today things were really working well and I hit some pretty solid long iron shots. Because things went so well with the 5 iron I decided to hit some 4i shots as well. Starting off I hit a few off a tee to emulate a long iron shot on a par 3 and here even more so than the 7 iron I found that missed shots really come up well short. I hit a couple just perfect on the button and man I gotta tell you, there's no feeling like it! On Thursday I couldn't hit these long irons out of my shadow, today I'm hit much better and have regained some of that confidence I had early on. Next step is playing a round, my course opens Monday so I probably better head out there after work for a quick 9 at least. At my course most of my iron shots on par 4s and par 5s will be with something 7 iron on down but we do have 3 par 3 holes that I'll really need to be able to count on my 4 and 5 irons, one of them you have to clear a lot of water and believe me, that pond loves pulling in shots that are not struck very well, the other 2 have bunkers short so you definitely want to be able to hit an iron shot 180 to 200 yards on those 3 holes, that'll be the big test for me. I'll report back what I find, stay tuned!

I'll tell you one cool thing about playing these irons....seeing guys like this playing them too! Justin Rose at Transitions...

roseT1.jpg

I bet you hit them just like he does too, eh?

They are some attractive irons, that's for sure. I'd love to have the 7-PW, but that's about it for me, lol

I bet you hit them just like he does too, eh?

They are some attractive irons, that's for sure. I'd love to have the 7-PW, but that's about it for me, lol
The way he played Sunday at Transitions I may have been able to hit them like he does....ok, not even close. I still can't say that the added feel of these is worth giving up so much forgiveness. I'm dedicating the month of April to comparing the Burner 2.0 and these side by side as often as I can to determine which set gets the spot in my bag the last week of April (official start of Men's league at my club).

The way he played Sunday at Transitions I may have been able to hit them like he does....ok, not even close. I still can't say that the added feel of these is worth giving up so much forgiveness. I'm dedicating the month of April to comparing the Burner 2.0 and these side by side as often as I can to determine which set gets the spot in my bag the last week of April (official start of Men's league at my club).

Then you will figure out which ones get in your bag and BOOM, Callaway irons to get used to.

Any updates?

Yep I was out yesterday and have some more thoughts after work I would like to share. Had a mini crisis yesterday after the round so I was extremely busy. My dishwasher blew up. :angry: Never did make it out after the Morgan Cup entry day I was so excited I stayed home and THP'd all day!

These clubs are going to be available this week. Are any THP'ers pondering the MBs at all?

I'll say this about these clubs, if you've got the swing and the ball striking for a blade iron I think you'd really be doing yourself a major disservice if you did not add these to your list of irons to demo if/when you're in the market for a new set. If you're a solid ball striker and even if you've never gamed a blade iron before you should still try these because I think you would be surprised at just how playable these clubs are. What I keep coming back to on these is that they feel and remind me a lot of the Mizuno MP-57 irons in terms of playability only they definitely feel better when you hit them on the button.

These irons are definitely for a serious player who really strikes the golf ball solidly, if that's you then you really should get out and try these.

I got them ordered 3-6 MC 7-pw MB can't wait to get them. I originally was going to get the CB's and MC's but i got a chance to hit these at a golf expo where i live. I really like the feel and the look of the MB and switched my order.

These clubs are going to be available this week. Are any THP'ers pondering the MBs at all?

I'll say this about these clubs, if you've got the swing and the ball striking for a blade iron I think you'd really be doing yourself a major disservice if you did not add these to your list of irons to demo if/when you're in the market for a new set. If you're a solid ball striker and even if you've never gamed a blade iron before you should still try these because I think you would be surprised at just how playable these clubs are. What I keep coming back to on these is that they feel and remind me a lot of the Mizuno MP-57 irons in terms of playability only they definitely feel better when you hit them on the button.

These irons are definitely for a serious player who really strikes the golf ball solidly, if that's you then you really should get out and try these.

I got them ordered 3-6 MC 7-pw MB can't wait to get them. I originally was going to get the CB's and MC's but i got a chance to hit these at a golf expo where i live. I really like the feel and the look of the MB and switched my order.

awesome I can't wait to hear your thoughts on both MCs and MBs

Dude that is a sweet setup! We're going to have to hook up being that you live like 15 minutes from me. We'll play this season, keep in touch!

Took these out again yesterday with forum members Hawk and DonW. We were playing in a steady rain with an ambient temp of 46 degrees with winds approaching 20 MPH, is it was anything but optimal conditions. such is the life of living in the midwest. we only ended up playing 9 holes as the steady rain became a deluge with lightning strikes nearing.

Once again the irons didn't disappoint. Distances were VERY hard to gauge as winds were swirling unbelievably. I was striking the ball extremely well but had some trouble on the distances due to some very inclimate weather and unfamiliaraty with the clubs themselves. The one thing I can say with 100% accuracy is the beauty of the turf interaction with these clubs. I've said it before but I am very impressed with the way these clubs muscle through the rough. It's like gliding through the thick stuff. I'm am very fond of how easy it is to hit a straight ball with these clubs....especially in the longer irons. I was never able to hit a straight ball with my previous irons, only a 10-15 yard draw or fade.

I'll be out tommorrow weather permitting and again on Sunday as Hawk and I, along with DonW now have a standing tee time. More info to come!

Back