Kimeran

Play for fun, not anger
Reaction score
Handicap
~15-17
Who here is an audiophile? I cannot count the number of times I have played with my speaker placement and the way I have them tuned to get the best sound possible. Drives my fiancee NUTS!

I like listening to all kinds of music but i stay away from pop and rap. I do have some hip hop though. However, I listen to the beatles more than anything.

One thing that is a pleasure to listen to the though is "Nothing Else Matters" by Appocalytica's Inquisition Symphony. When I have it turned up loud and the speakers are all tuned right it is like I have an orchastra infront of me and I can tell you were the individual instruments are at.

Not an audiophile but I am an HT junkie. Quick example... I have a 4/3.5 house and I have 7.1 surround in 3 rooms and speakers even in the bathrooms all designed by yours truly (it's what happens when you used to work in the CE industry). Not up to speed like I used to be but I have my sources.

I'm a Vinyl Record freak.

I love the sound of vinyl SO much more than anything else. My collection is so large it has spread to the walls of my "man cave" in frames...add to that the fact you can get new music on vinyl you have another hobby that drives my wife crazy haha!

I have always been interested in DIY speakers as I have been told that if you do it right you can make speakers that sound as good as the most expensive you can find for a fraction of the price. However, I am not good with wood work so I may have to find someone who is. I would love to build a subwoofer with the Audio Pulse 18" woofer that is designes specificaly for linearity.

My entire 3.1 setup now is SVS which is an internet direct company that makes great products that outperforms competition that is sometimes even twice as expensive. One day I also hope to own some JTR speakers!

im not exactly an audiophile as i dont spend thousands of dollars on speaker cables, or even on speakers. but i do love music and have a killer sound system, 6 floor speakers from about the early 80s with 10" subs in them haha and 4 bookshelf speaks and a center, and a pa system my grandpa gave me from his church and 2 amps to power it all. btw this is all in my bedroom, i still live with my parents :p its still decent quality but the bass is too much, you can hear it perfectly upstairs from the vibrations

I have worked in the audio/video industry on and off for the last 18 years. I have been a system designer, sales manager and project manager with multiple custom integration firms. I am a card carrying audiophile and have had several nice systems in the past. Currently I own Vienna Acoustics speakers with Sunfire & Marantz electronics. I love vinyl and especially SACD. But I am just in love with the new Sunfire ribbon speakers. Its mind blowing that something so small can sound so amazing...

I'm am a music teacher. I don't have the best equipment, but I do appreciategreat music of all genres!!

i don't think i qualify but i have 6 sets of old school speakers(4 JBL L100,2 Dahquist DQ10,2 Klipsch kg4.2 JBL L50,2 JBL j350)and 4 amps (3 yamaha,1 crown)shak'n the foundation when i rock out

I have earned a living either selling, or installing audio equipment for almost 25 years... I also have a degree in Audio Engineering, and have worked as a mixing/recording engineer for a number of years... So I think I fit the description.
I am currently a sales rep in the CE channel, so I am lucky enough to not have to actually buy most of my gear. The only thing I really have to buy (besides a display device), is a preamplifier and amplifier (I use Anthem Statement products)... I am not going to keep disconnecting those things! However, speakers, and subwoofers are always changing. Currently, I am using a Paradigm Reference Studio Series speakers (5.1), with a pair of JL Audio "Fathom" F113 subwoofers. Plenty of room treatments help keep the neighbors from complaining. :)
I also use a NuVo Grand Concerto for whole home audio, piggybacked on a Control 4 system for home automation duties.

Last edited:
Absolutely. After a stint working for Circuit City right after I graduated college, I got the bug. Just moved last January to a house with a full basement and got to sell all of my old stuff and buy all new stuff. It was so fun it should be criminal.

I almost went with SVS stuff but at the 11th hour I found a closeout deal on a Mirage OMD5 system and paired them with an AV123 MFW-15 subwoofer, Pioneer Elite Receiver & Amp.

My friends can't believe the sound stage that the Mirages produce. The omnipolar technology is the real deal. BTW, the MFW-15 lived up the hype too. That thing became legendary on sites like Audioholics and AVS Forums but the company that makes it has terrible quality control, so it was like buying a Harley Davidson in that it was a great machine but might require tweaking to get it right. But the design is great and it flat performs.

Currently addicted to watching the blu ray of "The Band: The Last Waltz" by Martin Scorsese. Great demo disc for music and showing off the sound stage. Dave Matthews & Time Reynolds at Radio City Music Hall is sonically the best I have found.

Kinda an audiophile in training here. Headphones are my thing. Looking to upgrade from my Klipsch buds (s3?) to a full headset. Listened to some Beats, loved the bass and fit, but not the rice. Wasnt impressed with the Bose QC15s I tried, Great highs but dissapointing bass and awful fit. Any suggestions?

Who here is an audiophile? I cannot count the number of times I have played with my speaker placement and the way I have them tuned to get the best sound possible. Drives my fiancee NUTS!

I like listening to all kinds of music but i stay away from pop and rap. I do have some hip hop though. However, I listen to the beatles more than anything.

One thing that is a pleasure to listen to the though is "Nothing Else Matters" by Appocalytica's Inquisition Symphony. When I have it turned up loud and the speakers are all tuned right it is like I have an orchastra infront of me and I can tell you were the individual instruments are at.

I find "One" by Apocalyptica to be the best test of a stereo for me, but I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means. I have 2 Definitive Technologies towers with the powered subs. I love them.

I am a professional photographer and formally a professional musician. A curse for sure. The sound and the picture must be perfect.

I can barely plug my guitar cord into the amp without help so I had the local high end Audio place, The Little Guys install EVERYTHING. (The Little Guys Supply most of the flat screens and audio equipment for many PGA events)

My set up: Paradigm Studio 100s for the front speakers, Paradigm 15" Sub woofer, Paradigm Center speaker, and JBL 12 inch 3 ways for rear speakers. B&K Reference 50 preamp, B&K 200.7 amp, Integra DVD player, Sony Blue Ray, Techniques turn table, MX 3000 Remote. All set up by The Little Guys. I have no clue how any of it works.

The Little Guys EQed the system for my Bogner Shiva Combo amp so I when I play music DVDs, I can be on stage and jam with whoever is playing.

BTW, my wife could care less and would be happier with a Sony Wave Machine. She cannot tell the difference and THAT IS LUCKY!

Moral of the story, if you like it, it's quality.

I am a professional photographer and formally a professional musician. A curse for sure. The sound and the picture must be perfect.

I can barely plug my guitar cord into the amp without help so I had the local high end Audio place, The Little Guys install EVERYTHING. (The Little Guys Supply most of the flat screens and audio equipment for many PGA events)

My set up: Paradigm Studio 100s for the front speakers, Paradigm 15" Sub woofer, Paradigm Center speaker, and JBL 12 inch 3 ways for rear speakers. B&K Reference 50 preamp, B&K 200.7 amp, Integra DVD player, Sony Blue Ray, Techniques turn table, MX 3000 Remote. All set up by The Little Guys. I have no clue how any of it works.

The Little Guys EQed the system for my Bogner Shiva Combo amp so I when I play music DVDs, I can be on stage and jam with whoever is playing.

BTW, my wife could care less and would be happier with a Sony Wave Machine. She cannot tell the difference and THAT IS LUCKY!

Moral of the story, if you like it, it's quality.

Nice..

I wish I had the home audio bug...mine has always been in the automotive enviroment. Competed in sound quality car audio events since the late 80's with a large variety of product over the years. Of course it helps if you work in the industry like I do and for a company that still makes some of the best sounding car audio products out there!

Well, I am sad to say that my audio bug has evolved now. I am looking to BUILD my first subwoofer in the coming months. It is going to be a Tapped horn sub with a 10" driver. It is going to be flat from 30-100hz and still be plenty loud at 23hz. It is 95db at 1w/1m so I cant wait to build it. I am powering it with a BEHringer a500 and I am also getting a minidsp to use as a highpass filter.

Total cost for this build is going to be around 550 bucks but will kick the pants off anything that can be had at around 1500-2000 dollars. SOMe argue that you need to go lower the 20hz for a true movie experience but they do not realize that most movie theaters do not go below 30hz...they just do 30hz LOUD!

Kinda an audiophile in training here. Headphones are my thing. Looking to upgrade from my Klipsch buds (s3?) to a full headset. Listened to some Beats, loved the bass and fit, but not the rice. Wasnt impressed with the Bose QC15s I tried, Great highs but dissapointing bass and awful fit. Any suggestions?

May I suggest that you look at some AKG headphones?

I have a pair of their cans that are sealed backs and LOVE them. they do not go really deep but headphones have a hard time getting deep because of the minimal amount of air that are capable of moving. The only reason that bose go so deep is actually because they actually amplify the midbass to give the effect of bass extension.

May I suggest that you look at some AKG headphones?

I have a pair of their cans that are sealed backs and LOVE them. they do not go really deep but headphones have a hard time getting deep because of the minimal amount of air that are capable of moving. The only reason that bose go so deep is actually because they actually amplify the midbass to give the effect of bass extension.

MaryC recommended some of those. I am gonna check them out.

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,1064,pid,1064,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html

these are what I have and when i got them I read multiple times that what really brings them to life is when you have a headphone amplifier. BUT as you can imagine I am more focused on buying bigger amplifiers.

I will say though that they still do sound GREAT with just an ipod or your computer jack.

I may look at doing a bottlehead build in the future for their headphone tube amp.

I'm into DVD-A and SACD pretty heavy as of late. Bought a new Denon AVR last Aug but have been eying one of the new Pioneers.

Well, I am sad to say that my audio bug has evolved now. I am looking to BUILD my first subwoofer in the coming months. It is going to be a Tapped horn sub with a 10" driver. It is going to be flat from 30-100hz and still be plenty loud at 23hz. It is 95db at 1w/1m so I cant wait to build it. I am powering it with a BEHringer a500 and I am also getting a minidsp to use as a highpass filter.

Total cost for this build is going to be around 550 bucks but will kick the pants off anything that can be had at around 1500-2000 dollars. SOMe argue that you need to go lower the 20hz for a true movie experience but they do not realize that most movie theaters do not go below 30hz...they just do 30hz LOUD!

As someone who has spent the last 26+ years in the pro audio business working for loudspeaker manufacturers, etc. (and not as a "marketing/sales" person either...he-he) will be following your endeavour. May I suggest you try and get a hold of a copy of Voice Coil magazine. They are a trade rag that is specific to the parts and pieces that go into loudspeaker manufacturering and have classified in the back you can tap into for this project, especially the woofer portion (Eighteen Sound, Beyma, Celestion, RCF, the usual suspects and some not so usual).

MaryC,
I may have to look into that magazine in the future as my next endeavor is going to make a set of LCR speakers that will be 2 or 2.5 way designs that will have to go down to atleast around 100hz(obviously).

An old thread I know but as a new user I though I could move it up a bit. Sadly I'm not allowed to post links or pics yet. Not sure how many posts I need to be able to post pics. but when I have enough I'll come back & stick some system pics in. I have been a HiFi nut for many many years and not sure which gives me more please hacking around a golf course or relaxing with a glass of vino and some good music.

An old thread I know but as a new user I though I could move it up a bit. Sadly I'm not allowed to post links or pics yet. Not sure how many posts I need to be able to post pics. but when I have enough I'll come back & stick some system pics in. I have been a HiFi nut for many many years and not sure which gives me more please hacking around a golf course or relaxing with a glass of vino and some good music.
You need ten posts until you are able to post links and pics.

I've always been into systems from back in the day with my dual 12in Pioneer sub box for my hatchback Celica to my current home setup

2ch
Magnepan 1.6
Placette passive
Threshold 350a
Acoustic Zen cables
Squeezebox with CI power supply
Lector Dac

HT
Magnepan center and rear
NAD receiver
Adcom 3ch amp
2ch speaker and amp running in bypass mode to integrate
Oppo DVD (yes, dvd)
40in Mitsubishi tube tv

Haven't upgraded tv since we are waiting for it to break but those CRT's are tough. It's even incases I n an armoire with not much ventilation but it just keeps on ticking.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Back