Polara Golf Ball Testing Review Thread

XMas10Hawaii413.jpg

XMas10Hawaii406.jpg
[/IMG]
XMas10Hawaii413.jpg
[/IMG]

Wanted to show us those clubs real bad huh? Hahaha

Wanted to show us those clubs real bad huh? Hahaha

HAHA. I was cleaning my clubs on Saturday morning when the balls came in the mail. They were out and clean so I took a few pics with them.

HAHA. I was cleaning my clubs on Saturday morning when the balls came in the mail. They were out and clean so I took a few pics with them.

nothing wrong with that man, clean clubs and pics go well together lol

Well, I had the chance to get a round of golf in today and I decided to put the Polara's in play. My initial in hand thoughts were that these balls don't feel all that different from other golf balls, and they certainly look like most other golf balls, they just come with a little different dimple pattern.

I tee'd up on hole #1 and decided to go with the 2 piece ball. I also have a 9* driver and the instructions that came with the balls recommended not hitting these balls with a driver with that launch so I didn't. Instead, I lined up with my trusty Superfast and let rip.

A couple of things: the ball flew straight as a string. It took off nice and low, quickly rose, and then it looked like someone shot it out of the air. It didn't feel too harsh to me, it didn't sound different to me, and while it did go straight, it was not near where I wanted it to be for distance. I tee'd up another ball (my gamer for the day), let rip, and was easily a good 20-25 yards further with this ball than the Polara.

I play the ball down, unless I have a plugged ball or a mud ball, so I just played the Polara's as they were. Off the irons, these balls perform just like any other golf ball I play. They flight similarly, and I didn't notice much of a decrease in distance. It's with these balls off the irons where I can feel their "firmness" if you will. They did feel a tad denser than my regular gamer but nothing that would turn me off.

Off the wedges, same thing as the irons, similar ball flight, similar distances, but ZERO spin. So, I try the 3 piece ball, and while it doesn't feel as dense, I still didn't see spin characteristics that I am use to. For greenside shots, I'm not the type of golfer that will sit here and tell you how I aggressively throw balls at the hole or the flag and expect them to one hop n' stop, or to suck back on a string. I play for most everything to roll out a bit and these performed similarly to what I'm use to. They are also extremely durable.

I also am not the golfer that can tell a discernible difference between golf balls off of the putter. Perhaps it's b/c I have been a long time insert user with my putters, I don't really know. But the ball rolls true, holds the line I putt it on and works just as well as many other golf balls I've ever putt with.

This ball is intriguing to me. You line it up, point it where you want it to go, and it pretty much goes straight. It's quite shocking to be honest. I absolutely flailed at this ball a few times and it sure as anything goes straight. However, for me, it was much shorter off the tee than I care for. I couldn't help but think about the testing going on with the TP irons that's going on right now. The one question that I kept asking myself over and over was: would I be willing to sacrifice distance in exchange for accuracy?

For me, the answer is no. I see where this golf ball could be highly beneficial to many golfers, I'm just not sure if it's the golf ball for me.

Polara has done something remarkable with this golf ball and I believe that they'll be very successful for many golfers. Thanks for allowing me to test your product and thanks to THP for putting these in my hands.

Very nice double pos--I mean review TC. I know what you mean. Heck, I found a way to hit them the same as my normal drive, but then I noticed I was still losing out like crazy compared to a a normal ball hit the same way. It just ain't worth it.

Very nice double pos--I mean review TC. I know what you mean. Heck, I found a way to hit them the same as my normal drive, but then I noticed I was still losing out like crazy compared to a a normal ball hit the same way. It just ain't worth it.

Yeah, I'm having some serious connection issues or something, sorry. I'm trying to delete one of them but every time I do, my session gets timed out. How annoying.

It all boils down to being longer or in the fairway I guess. I need the extra length for my game.

First off, I admit I was a little disappointed to hear these balls were not only from a brand I've never heard of, but that they were non-conforming. As a beginner golfer with less than two years experience, I'm still looking for the "right way" to do things. Sure, nonconforming equipment might give a bit of an edge in the short term, but it could hurt in the long run if I ever evolve as a golfer to use better, more "pro" equipment. I'm not knocking these balls in any way- I have the same moral qualms about using SGI clubs but I use them. Therefore, I will approach this test with an open mind....

PART ONE- DELIVERY/UNBOXING

Received these balls this afternoon in the mail. Two sleeves of the 2-piece, two sleeves of the 3-piece, and the instructions. Never had balls that came with an instruction manual before. I do like the sleeves' packaging, remind me of Nike Power Distance balls. Opening the packaging, I notice I got all 3s and 4s, my favorite numbers (don't ask me why). Both balls' covers have a hard feel to them, and a finish somewhat duller than usual. Compression was fair, squeezing them in between my hands barely compressed either one, but the 2-piece was a little bit softer.

Since I'll be using these balls on a simulator, I'll test the short game here at home in the living room.

Putting with these balls was average- no better, no worse than usual. From the end of my living room to the end of the hallway is about 19 feet. From this distance I usually sink about 1 in 5 putts on carpet. Hit each sleeve twice- 6 balls of the 2-piece, 6 with the 3-piece and sank 3 putts total, and the ones that didn't go in all landing within 4 feet of my practice cup.

Chipping is where the difference between the 2 balls became more apparent. Using a light chip swing with a 52* gap wedge, I hit 6 shots with 3 different balls, two of the 2-piece, 2 of the 3-piece, and 2 with the Z-Stars I normally play. The 3-piece balls stopped much better- similar to the Z-Stars, with the 2-piece balls rolling out more. The picture tells the story here...

100_0069.jpg

PART TWO- SIMULATOR TEST

Finally made it out this afternoon to the Golf Dome, an indoor driving range with 2 simulators. Opened up each sleeve of #4s and started off light like I normally do at an "open" driving range. Started off with a few wedge shots, then every other club until driver (LW, GW, 9i, 7i, 5h, 3h, 3w, then driver). With the irons, I didn't use the alignment stamp at all, just dropped and hit, similar to if I were playing these on a course and would have to play them as they lie. Not one of my better days with control, but they did all stay within a 45-degree radius of each other with the exception of a few 'hosel rockets' which technology still hasn't found a way to correct (maybe a built-in parachute that pops out to prevent them from getting too far gone?). Distances were about average with a few minor miscalculations from the simulator (there is NO WAY IN HELL I hit a 9i for 154 yds!). Hitting the hybrids and 3w I used the stubby tee and the alignment stamp. This is where the ball, while it did hit straighter, didn't hit as far- especially with the 3w. Normal distance with the 3w for me is about 175-190 yds., and I was only seeing 178 on my best shot. Driver was a massive fail- my averages are between 185-210, and I was ranging between 166-192. Again though, they did as they advertise to do- they did stay straighter than normal. A few went right down the middle of the "fairway", and the ones that went left all stayed within a 45-degree range.

Would I buy these balls? Probably not. Biggest reason wasn't the loss of distance or lack of feel, though. The main reason is the fact that they're nonconforming. Could I use something that helps me hit straighter? Absolutely. But I'd prefer something a little more legal. Second reason is the price. With an MSRP of $39.99 per dozen for the 3-piece, I don't think asking for a ball with a more durable urethane cover is asking too much.

While I appreciate the efforts of THP and Polara Golf for letting me try these, I don't think these will find their way into my bag anytime soon.

Last edited:
I'm not knocking these balls in any way- I have the same moral qualms about using SGI clubs but I use them. Therefore, I will approach this test with an open mind....

Okay, I have to ask despite this being the Polara thread. You have a moral dilemma with Super Game Improvement irons? You do realize they are legal to use right? Do you have a moral dilemma with hybrids? Technically, in many cases, a SGI is nothing more than a hybrid further up the irons. A 5 or 6 hybrid is a SGI is it not?

Okay, I have to ask despite this being the Polara thread. You have a moral dilemma with Super Game Improvement irons? You do realize they are legal to use right? Do you have a moral dilemma with hybrids? Technically, in many cases, a SGI is nothing more than a hybrid further up the irons. A 5 or 6 hybrid is a SGI is it not?

Easiest thing I can think of to campare to is driving a car with one of those "autosticks". Sure, I could get really good at shifting at the right time, but once I decide to move up to the next level- a car with a clutch, I'd be stalling it like crazy.

Who says you have to move up to a car with a clutch?

Easiest thing I can think of to campare to is driving a car with one of those "autosticks". Sure, I could get really good at shifting at the right time, but once I decide to move up to the next level- a car with a clutch, I'd be stalling it like crazy.

So you do have a moral issue with SGI irons and hybrids? Or you just dont care for them? Im really confused.

First off, I admit I was a little disappointed to hear these balls were not only from a brand I've never heard of, but that they were non-conforming. As a beginner golfer with less than two years experience, I'm still looking for the "right way" to do things. Sure, nonconforming equipment might give a bit of an edge in the short term, but it could hurt in the long run if I ever evolve as a golfer to use better, more "pro" equipment. I'm not knocking these balls in any way- I have the same moral qualms about using SGI clubs but I use them. Therefore, I will approach this test with an open mind....

PART ONE- DELIVERY/UNBOXING

Received these balls this afternoon in the mail. Two sleeves of the 2-piece, two sleeves of the 3-piece, and the instructions. Never had balls that came with an instruction manual before. I do like the sleeves' packaging, remind me of Nike Power Distance balls. Opening the packaging, I notice I got all 3s and 4s, my favorite numbers (don't ask me why). Both balls' covers have a hard feel to them, and a finish somewhat duller than usual. Compression was fair, squeezing them in between my hands barely compressed either one, but the 2-piece was a little bit softer.

Since I'll be using these balls on a simulator, I'll test the short game here at home in the living room.

Putting with these balls was average- no better, no worse than usual. From the end of my living room to the end of the hallway is about 19 feet. From this distance I usually sink about 1 in 5 putts on carpet. Hit each sleeve twice- 6 balls of the 2-piece, 6 with the 3-piece and sank 3 putts total, and the ones that didn't go in all landing within 4 feet of my practice cup.

Chipping is where the difference between the 2 balls became more apparent. Using a light chip swing with a 52* gap wedge, I hit 6 shots with 3 different balls, two of the 2-piece, 2 of the 3-piece, and 2 with the Z-Stars I normally play. The 3-piece balls stopped much better- similar to the Z-Stars, with the 2-piece balls rolling out more. The picture tells the story here...

100_0069.jpg

PART TWO- SIMULATOR TEST

Finally made it out this afternoon to the Golf Dome, an indoor driving range with 2 simulators. Opened up each sleeve of #4s and started off light like I normally do at an "open" driving range. Started off with a few wedge shots, then every other club until driver (LW, GW, 9i, 7i, 5h, 3h, 3w, then driver). With the irons, I didn't use the alignment stamp at all, just dropped and hit, similar to if I were playing these on a course and would have to play them as they lie. Not one of my better days with control, but they did all stay within a 45-degree radius of each other with the exception of a few 'hosel rockets' which technology still hasn't found a way to correct (maybe a built-in parachute that pops out to prevent them from getting too far gone?). Distances were about average with a few minor miscalculations from the simulator (there is NO WAY IN HELL I hit a 9i for 154 yds!). Hitting the hybrids and 3w I used the stubby tee and the alignment stamp. This is where the ball, while it did hit straighter, didn't hit as far- especially with the 3w. Normal distance with the 3w for me is about 175-190 yds., and I was only seeing 178 on my best shot. Driver was a massive fail- my averages are between 185-210, and I was ranging between 166-192. Again though, they did as they advertise to do- they did stay straighter than normal. A few went right down the middle of the "fairway", and the ones that went left all stayed within a 45-degree range.

Would I buy these balls? Probably not. Biggest reason wasn't the loss of distance or lack of feel, though. The main reason is the fact that they're nonconforming. Could I use something that helps me hit straighter? Absolutely. But I'd prefer something a little more legal. Second reason is the price. With an MSRP of $39.99 per dozen for the 3-piece, I don't think asking for a ball with a more durable urethane cover is asking too much.

While I appreciate the efforts of THP and Polara Golf for letting me try these, I don't think these will find their way into my bag anytime soon.

uhhhh these Polara's are one of the most durable balls i have ever played, also urethane is softer so it will scratch up easier. None of my urethane balls are this durable

I think that's the wrong way to look at SGI clubs. They are a tool to help you make better contact, and once you are making consistent contact you can move up to GI or GE irons to further work on improving your ball striking. If you want to compare SGI's to something, I'd almost want to go with a training wheels analogy because as you get better you no longer need the extra support they offer.

Id compare it to a hammer. Some have bigger hitting spots, some have smaller. Rookies find it easier with the big hammer, Pros find the smaller head better for speed and lightweight use. We all have different needs, but the ball needs to go in the same hole.

Id compare it to a hammer. Some have bigger hitting spots, some have smaller. Rookies find it easier with the big hammer, Pros find the smaller head better for speed and lightweight use. We all have different needs, but the ball needs to go in the same hole.

Thats a good analogy.

That's a perfect comparison Thainer!

Just got my golf balls today. Our mailman sucks. Anyway, i will be putting these in play starting wednesday so stay tuned for my review.

Just a quick update. I played a round with one of my sons friends yesterday that slices the crud out of the ball. We are talking 60 yard slices with his driver no problem. I gave him on of the Polara's to hit. Right down the middle. He could not believe it. It was amazing. I did not think that the ball could hold up to his swing but it did. AMAZING>

Just a quick update. I played a round with one of my sons friends yesterday that slices the crud out of the ball. We are talking 60 yard slices with his driver no problem. I gave him on of the Polara's to hit. Right down the middle. He could not believe it. It was amazing. I did not think that the ball could hold up to his swing but it did. AMAZING>

What kind of yardage was he getting. I am guessing that it was probaly the same if not longer if he normally has a 60 yard slice.

Wow, I guess "the proofs in the puddin" lol

Ok got these last week and have been able to put both the 2 piece and the 3 piece balls into play. The balls look a little different than most balls out their, but I think it is more to do with the different dimple pattern. Started the day off with the 2 piece ball and hitting 4 wood rather than driver on the 1st hole, the ball flew straight but looked like it was fluttering. It took off nice and high and then it looked like it just dropped out of the air. It didn't feel too hard to me, it didn't sound different, and while it did go straight, it was not near where I was expecting the distance to be. I tee'd up another ball (my B330-RXS for the day), and was easily a good 35 - 40 yards further with this ball than the Polara.

Off the irons, these balls required me to adjust my aim (I play a draw with my irons) they flight similarly, and I didn't notice much of a decrease in distance. One thing I did notice is that these balls had a little more roll out than what I’m used too. Really no spin, so the adjustment for me was playing everything about 5 yards shorter than normal.

To the wedges, same thing as the irons, similar ball flight, similar distances, but ZERO spin. So, after 7 holes I try the 3 piece ball, and while it doesn't feel any different than the 2 piece, I still didn't see spin characteristics that I want from a golf ball. For greenside shots, I'm the type of golfer that likes the ball to be thrown aggressively at the hole or the flag and expect them to one hop n' stop. Had to adjust how roll I was going to allow for most of my greenside shots.

On the putting green, it took me a few putts to get the feel of these balls down. I don’t have one ball that I play all the time ( Pro V1, Z-Star, B330-RSX ) so I make adjustments to my stroke ( longer stroke or shorter stroke ) on the practice green before the round starts. But the ball rolls true, holds the line I putt it on and works just as well as many other golf balls I've ever putt with.

The members that I played with both days were very interested in the ball and since I had put all 4 sleeves into the cart I was willing to see what they through of the balls also. For the other 6 players only 1 was amazed with the ball. He has a very bad slice and hits he’s irons about 1 club short on all approaches. He was not concerned that much about distance he just wanted to be in the fairway and all his shots into the green made the green and a few went past the hole.

Polara has something with this ball, its not a ball for low handicaps but for someone that has trouble keeping the ball in the fairway I think this is a great ball for them. Being a PGA professional and giving lessons and also seeing players practice with bad swings a ball that would help them hit it straighter without having to take lessons I think would make the game more enjoyable for them.

The member that I let hit these balls was so happy with the performance of these balls that he was willing to pay me $20 for the other sleeve that I had. Couldn’t take his money so I gave him 2 balls and said that as soon as the come on the market I will try and get a few in the shop.

Polara has done something remarkable with this golf ball and I believe that they'll be very successful for many golfers. Thanks for allowing me to test your product and thanks to THP for putting these in my hands.

Ps: Got an email last night from the member and his wife would like to try these balls the next time she plays. Her husband would not give up the two that I had given him so she was wondering if I had one that she could try.

Last edited:
I played with these a bit on Saturday and messed around the short game area with them as well. The ball is definitely on the harder side and most certainly rolls out a lot around the greens. It's firm off the putter as well. Ball flight is considerably shorter than other balls I've played and I didn't find the ball flight to be particularly high at all. It was definitely a medium to low medium ball flight with almost a 'knuckle ball' kind of flight path. However the ball was almost always going straight-ish and pretty much went where you wanted it to go as long as the arrow was positioned at the top but if you block it or hook it it won't correct that type of swing/ball strike. Holding it in your hands it doesn't feel different than any ohter golf ball and the dimple pattern is definitely a unique design. I think this ball would be a perfect ball for someone who doesn't play more than a handful of times a year, is just getting started and doesn't want to be discouraged right away, or someone who doesn't play but wants to have a go in their co's annual golf tourney.

Watching others hit this ball on Sunday I saw the same kind of effects (knuckle-ball, straight-ish ball flight, lower trajectory). These are definitely an option for someone who has to play in windy conditions too.

I got a really good practice round in yesterday - took all 12 balls out on the tee box of one hole - and put them up against 2 sleeves of e-6. I hit my first tee shot that i was playing on the hole, then i hit 1 sleeve of each - and marked off the avergae distances, patterns. Im going to put a thorough review in later - but im focused on somethine else until 2 pm. My in depth analysis should be up tonight.

I got a really good practice round in yesterday - took all 12 balls out on the tee box of one hole - and put them up against 2 sleeves of e-6. I hit my first tee shot that i was playing on the hole, then i hit 1 sleeve of each - and marked off the avergae distances, patterns. Im going to put a thorough review in later - but im focused on somethine else until 2 pm. My in depth analysis should be up tonight.

nice testing, I hit mine against the e6 on Saturday. Can't wait to see your results on that one.

nice testing, I hit mine against the e6 on Saturday. Can't wait to see your results on that one.

+1 - that's what I tested them against too.

I still think these would be great for people who are learning the game. This will not only help them have fun, but should speed up play too. I really feel sorry for the new guys out there that are trying to enjoy the game, but it takes them forever, and they're holding up the field. I think we've all been there when we first started too.

Back