Miyounggun

Reaction score
Handicap
WHat do you hunt where and with what?
I'm a bow hunter mainly big game whitetail black bear and elk. What to do some moose hunting soon. Hog when I go to my parent in Georgia.

In Texas, most of the land is privately owned, I've got a year-round hunting lease with a couple buddies. We've got free reign over 200 acres, plus another 200 across the road, and another 300 a few miles down the road, and another 640 a few miles the other direction. Kind of broken up, but it works for us.

Right now, it's mostly varmint eradication:
Raccoons are emptying out our feeders, so they're a constant target.
Hogs can get to be a big problem, and we're starting to see them, so they're getting thinned out.
Predators such as Coyote and Bobcat are always too many in our area as well. They're exciting to hunt, especially at night.

During season, we will go after deer, turkey, dove, quail. Spring turkey season is what I'm excited about right now, it starts April 3. I've been practicing my calls in preparation.

In college, I bowhunted pretty heavily (I worked in an archery shop, that was attached to the cabinet shop I also worked at). I learned my lesson about hunting pigs with a bow; never again without a sidearm. I spent 4 hours in a bois d' arc tree after I stuck a big sow. Never had a deer run, when shot with the bow. I've never had the chance to shoot a turkey with my bow (an old Jennings with wood limbs and magnesium riser; I need a new one, but haven't coughed up for the Matthews I want).

Nowadays, I mostly rifle hunt. My trusty old Marlin in .35 Remington never lets me down. For wingshooting, I usually use my old 20ga 870 Wingmaster. For turkey, I'll grab my brother's 870 Super Mag.

I'm saving up for a .204 for varminting (likely my next purchase) I also want a Rock River AR for plinking and some varmint hunting.

I like to hunt duck, goose, and pheasant up here. I used to big game hunt but I had too many hobbies that cost too much money so big game hunting went to the way side. I miss the quail and turkey hunting my brother and I did down in Texas growing up. Up here you have to draw for a turkey permit.

Re: Any hunter

I've been duck hunting before but I'm trying to get myself into stalking deer and turkey. I'm surrently carving my own longbows and hope to be using them this coming fall. I have plenty of friends that want them eliminaed because they have become pests.

Wow I couldn't even begin to think about carving a longbow...much less anything else.

Wow I couldn't even begin to think about carving a longbow...much less anything else.

Yea. It's been a long, drawn out year in the making because it always gets pushed to the backburner.

I use to hunt deer, elk, and birds. Got to a point real fast that it did not interest me any more. Bird hunting was the last to go, and was probably because my gun dog buddies got to old to retrieve. I left them at home once, and that was it. Never went again.

Weapons of choice back then was 30-06 Remington, and a very old 30-30 Winchester. For birds it was 12, and/or 20 ga Ithacas. My son in law has all my rifles now. I do keep a semi auto 30 cal carbine, and a couple of pistols around the house. One of the pistols is a Desert Eagle 50 cal. The other a Black Hawk .38/.357. That said, my present weapons of choice for game, and birds are now cameras. SLRs, digitals, and Videos :D

Well my shotgun is cleaned and put away for the season. Now its time to sight in the .223 WSM for the praire dogs.

I got my .17 HMR put together a couple weeks ago.

Got to do a little plinking with it this past weekend. Sighted it in at 50 yards, according to the ballistic charts it's only off 0.10" between 50 and 100 yards. Next trip, we clean out some raccoons.

I hunt in South Dakota and Iowa.

I hunt prairie dogs, doves, grouse, geese, snow geese, ducks, pheasants, antelope, and turkey in SD.

I deer hunt in Iowa.

When it's cold out you can find me in Southeast Alabama hunting whitetail deer. Family land. Also turkey hunt in March.

used to hunt quail,prairie chicken,pheasant,rabbits,squirrels,dove,and ducks.Been retired from it for 17 years now.Last thing I bagged other than a bunch of clay pigeons was a coyote with the 22/250 about 15 years ago .Been having a hanker'n to try and get back into duck hunting.....all in all it seems more work than it's worth at the moment.

Around SE Texas the best duck hunting is down by the coast and I'm partial to Port O'Conner. No one ever believes me when I try to describe the size of the flocks down there. Its not uncommon to see around 4000 to 5000 ducks a day out in the marsh. I've had as many as 50 land in my spread at once.

I have been in the woods since I could walk:clapp: I love it. I hunt turkeys, deer, coyotes, and crows (yes, crows). Got a spike with the gun opening day of NY season (first deer) and a doe the last day of muzzleloader (first with a muzzleloader) :banana: I also bow hunt, but haven't gotten anything with it yet:arrogant:

my name is hunter but im a vegetarian and could never hurt an animal

I would rather go hunting than play golf, if that tells you anything.
I hunt doves, squirrels, ducks, deer (archery, blackpowder and rifle), and turkey.
Of course I also like to do my fair share of fishing... but that's a whole new thread in itself.

I used to go deer hunting when I was small and got bored with that. Now its pests like squirrels and armadillos I go after.

Not so much anymore. I go on a couple hunting trips a year and thats about it these days.

I hunted deer, bear, pheasant and partridge in New Hampshire, Massachusettes and New York for many years.

I discovered it was the time with friends that meant the most and when they drifted away I stopped hunting too.

Still like to shoot and am looking forward to introducing my grandkids to the sport.

Archery season I chase the Elk around. Open rifle season is the time for Mule deer/Whitetail's. Then I cap off my hunting season with some Waterfoul.

When I lived in PA I hunted deer, bear, turkey, and small game. Then I moved to NC 2 years ago and haven't had a chance to hunt anything.

I hunt mushrooms & golf balls and every now and then I hunt my way home :confused2:

Back