Come on Titleist, for real?

INgolfer

Internet Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
pending
I have recently been looking in to some new hybrids because mine is old and getting cracks in it. I may not be able to get one for a couple of months because I have to save up, but I'm starting to shop early. Anyway...I was looking into the Titleist 910h, the TM r11 rescue, and the TM superfast rescue. I have heard good things about the Titleist and the only thing holding me back a little was the price if $230. Other top hybrids are $50+ cheaper. So anyway, after looking in to it I even found out that the surefit hosel tool does not even come with the hybrids or woods! So after checking into the tool and found out that it costs $30 for the tool, that brings the total to $260+ for a Titleist hybrid. Now, we all know Titleist is a good brand and they make good equipment, even if most of it is for mid-low handicappers (this year they have made some more forgiving drivers), but they seem to think they should get top dollar for everything even if there is other comparable and even better equipment out there. Their AP2 irons that have been out for almost 2 years are still $900, and they always exclude their items from sales on big golf websites. Now they charge an extra $50 on top of other golf brands for a hybrid and don't even include the tool you need in order to take advantage of the adjustable hosel that they advertise so much for. Taylormade, this bumps you up another several notches in my book for not trying to take advantage of your loyal customers like that! Anyone else think that is kind of a ripoff?

It is a bit pricey but it is Titleist. They make good clubs and they charge a lot for them. I don't know if there is alot more to say.

A couple of things:

1. I think Titleist makes overrated products
2. They have a ridiculous stance on why they can't have their products out at demo days without a fitter
3. They make a ton of money and sell products based on their marketing alone, which is quite admirable.
4. I always struggle spelling it, i have to remind myself "i before e except after c, and Titleist of course"

While I DO agree with you. I'm pretty sure none of the other company's provide the hosel tool with hybrids either.
Not trying to argue with you, I'm with you.

yea, I think they charge more because they can.

A couple of things:

2. They have a ridiculous stance on why they can't have their products out at demo days without a fitter
3. They make a ton of money and sell products based on their marketing alone, which is quite admirable.
4. I always struggle spelling it, i have to remind myself "i before e except after c, and Titleist of course"

My brother and sister both teach english in middle school. They are going to LOVE that.

A couple of things:

TC what is that stance? I know we've talked about it at THP a couple of times but I've never personally heard it.

Ive always known the TM Hybrid to come with the wrench.
While I DO agree with you. I'm pretty sure none of the other company's provide the hosel tool with hybrids either.
Not trying to argue with you, I'm with you.

yea, I think they charge more because they can.

+1

This made me laugh.

I took titleist off the table when considering new sticks. They just cost too much for me to wrap my head around.

TC what is that stance? I know we've talked about it at THP a couple of times but I've never personally heard it.

They hesitate to send things to the THP demo day b/c they can't have a rep present. Ridiculous, but it's their policy. It makes you wonder why though doesn't it?

They hesitate to send things to the THP demo day b/c they can't have a rep present. Ridiculous, but it's their policy. It makes you wonder why though doesn't it?

Ya it does. There is no doubt Titleist makes good products but my guess would be that they think if they don't have a rep there, their products could possibly be overshadowed or beaten out by another companies, and without a rep there, they would have no one to "explain" how their product got beat and how you could fix that.

First of all the Titleist 910h is a great hybrid. I bought one a while back and I've been really impressed with its performance. That said, it's ludicrous that Titleist don't include the wrench with it, especially given that it's one of the pricier hybrids. The guy at the pro shop from where I bought the club was actually kind enough to thrown it in for free.

Real cheap on Titleist's part though...

A couple of things:

1. Strongly disagree. They wouldn't have the presence on tour that they have if this were true. While one could argue that tour players are paid to play the sticks they play, most players would not use an inferior product, thereby costing themselves shots each round. By doing that they would not finish as high in their tournaments, which would cost them money on the next contract, if that next contract was even an option, depending on how bad they played the previous year.

2. Agreed. Titleist marketing is completely outta-whack. Their old school thinking, has them believing they can still push the little guys around. That is no longer the case. The little guy doesn't need Titleist. There are too many other relevant competitors now (ie, TM, Callaway, etc)
3. Agree with first half (...making a ton of money). 2nd half (marketing alone) is related to #1
4. GREATNESS!!!!

It all boils down to Supply and Demand and whatever that Curve is called in Econ 101.

Ive always known the TM Hybrid to come with the wrench.

i'm man enought to admit when i'm wrong. So... I was wrong I'll take it back. I'm sorry.

As for their stance on Demo Days. They are just like Ferrari. When a 3rd party company wants to test out their car. They send not one but TWO cars. One is specifcally geared and tuned for the 0-60 test times. and the other is Specifcally tuned for whatever Test track that ferrari must approve before it's been driven. So in other words, the reviewers will NOT be reviewing the same car that will be available to the general public. And that they're terrified of negative reviews. Here's a link to their sad insecurities despite they are one of the best sports car manufacturers out there. In restrospect it's very similar to Titleist's PR Problem.

http://jalopnik.com/#!5760248/how-ferrari-spins

i'm man enought to admit when i'm wrong. So... I was wrong I'll take it back. I'm sorry.

As for their stance on Demo Days. They are just like Ferrari. When a 3rd party company wants to test out their car. They send not one but TWO cars. One is specifcally geared and tuned for the 0-60 test times. and the other is Specifcally tuned for whatever Test track that ferrari must approve before it's been driven. So in other words, the reviewers will NOT be reviewing the same car that will be available to the general public. And that they're terrified of negative reviews. Here's a link to their sad insecurities despite they are one of the best sports car manufacturers out there. In restrospect it's very similar to Titleist's PR Problem.

http://jalopnik.com/#!5760248/how-ferrari-spins

Very similar but very opposite. Ferrari sends 2 cars, Titleist sends none.

Thats like Titleist shaving the face of a driver and sending it to THP for testing. If they dont get found out, its a genius move. When they do, uh-freaking-oh.

Very similar but very opposite. Ferrari sends 2 cars, Titleist sends none.

Thats like Titleist shaving the face of a driver and sending it to THP for testing. If they dont get found out, its a genius move. When they do, uh-freaking-oh.

I don't agree sorry. Titeist has been said to be very demanding on Golf Magazine's and other club review sites. THP outing is the only demo day I've ever heard of where they don't send a rep.

They dont send a rep because they dont send a club!
I don't agree sorry. Titeist has been said to be very demanding on Golf Magazine's and other club review sites. THP outing is the only demo day I've ever heard of where they don't send a rep.

Not true! They did send a club and we do NOT allow reps.

JB out of curiousity. how much flac/pressure did you guys recieve from Titleist for your NO Reps policy? If you didn't get any then I'll admit my error and re-think my Ferrari analogy.

JB out of curiousity. how much flac/pressure did you guys recieve from Titleist for your NO Reps policy? If you didn't get any then I'll admit my error and re-think my Ferrari analogy.

We do not discuss that kind of thing, sorry. We must keep our dealings with companies separate from our time and public personas on the forum.

We do not discuss that kind of thing, sorry. We must keep our dealings with companies separate from our time and public personas on the forum.

you're right sorry. Good or bad, you might alienate someone.

I dont doubt Titleists ability to make great clubs. I would not have considered their hybrid if I didn't think they make good clubs. I was considering their AP2 irons as well this year, but I was waiting since last year for them because I thought they price might drop at least a little. However, the club is 2 years old and still holds a $900 price tag. No other company does that. The Prov1 balls are also like the only ones that you NEVER see go on sale. They only get marked down to $40 after the next model comes out. Anyway, they make great equipment, but I don't think they care too much about the consumer's wallet, especially in a down economy. They still want to Nickel and Dime everyone as much as they can. That being said, I just think that Titleist has some stiff competition out there now and a lot of companies are really stepping up their game, so I'm surprised they went with this move.

I also think thats a good idea to not allow reps at the demo day. I love demo days and being able to try out clubs, but I just want to be able to try them out myself without the rep hounding me telling me why I should by their product. Every manufacturer has a reason as to why their product is better than the other, but just like they are all different, all golfers are different as well. And while one technology may work well for one person, it may not work well for another. So I like just being able to go through and try out the clubs without anyone bothering me, and just being able to decide for myself which clubs feel the best and fit my game the best. You've got the right idea THP!

Back