TaylorMade Speed Stik Preview

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This interesting product arrived today at the THP's IL office. It's a swing aid that looks pretty simple, but has a bunch going on.

It comes in a pretty nice carrying case
DSC00703.jpg

As you can see, there are two pieces.
DSC00704.jpg

When assembled, it looks like a really long, but skinny, baseball bat with a golf grip at the end.
DSC00710.jpg

Surprise! There is a swing speed meter on the end of it.
DSC00705.jpg

Against my better judgement (sore shoulder), I took a few practice swings and it is actually accurate to what my normal driver swing is.

This is designed to help a golfer stretch out, increase swing speed by building up muscles and honing technique, and encourage a flatter plane (so your swing comes in-out rather than OTT).

I'll be playing around with this in the coming weeks and you can expect a review after I put it through the paces. Any questions, let me know.

That looks really cool!

I was just trying to find a review of these last night. Can't wait to hear your thoughts Hawk.

This looks like it could be really useful. Looking forward to it Hawk.

I used one of these at Bandon Dunes last year before they got released to the public and really liked it. It just seemed to work.

Is it the weighting that forces you to keep a better plane?

Is it the weighting that forces you to keep a better plane?

I was wondering about this as well. How does it prevent you from going OTT?

• Staff
Really, I believe it's not going to absolutely prevent you from going OTT. From what I've read/watched, the length and a some drills are what will help you learn to come inside out. They advocate a baseball type swing (around the body) and then just lowering the Speed Stik into your normal stance.

It also makes a sound when you are at your peak speed and you can figure out if you are casting or releasing too soon depending on when you hear the sound. It's a very cool device.

That makes sense Hawk. Because it would seem if you swinging a longer "club" and coming over the top, it's gotta give you a lot of feedback throughout the swing. I'm really looking forward to your feedback my friend.

Really, I believe it's not going to absolutely prevent you from going OTT. From what I've read/watched, the length and a some drills are what will help you learn to come inside out. They advocate a baseball type swing (around the body) and then just lowering the Speed Stik into your normal stance.

This is a great tool. I use it every day and feel that it's really helped my game.

This is a great tool. I use it every day and feel that it's really helped my game.

did you pay full retail for it ($160ish)? I think this thing would have to review VERY well to warrant me dropping that kind of cash.

I want one

It does look like a baseball bat with a grip! I could use a faster swing speed. I can't wait to see how it affects you. If it does what you say it does, of course it will it's a TM... I know I'm :deadhorse: with the TM gear but what can I say... it would definitely be worth it for the faster swing speed in my opinon. Even though I'm still a rookie who happens to have good eye hand coordination.

Looks like an interesting swing tool , but way over priced for my blood , I would take that money and spend it on lessons or a club .
Even though I swing my irons wonderful , just my pesky driver swing is giving me fits !

I've used somethign exactly like this before but it was not made by TM. Those things are pretty accurate but obviously can't give you numbers right dead on.

I found the speedstick in a proshop in Vegas a few weeks ago and tried it. It appeared to be spot on for my SS showing about 100 mph. Kind of a cool toy/swing aid.

Looking forwaed to your thoughts Hawk. I saw these at Dick's the other day and wondered how well they worked.

I have seen these and wonder if they really work....would be looking forward to your review and thoughts.

This does look pretty interesting, I think I would probably get annoyed because it would click way to early! lol

It also makes a sound when you are at your peak speed and you can figure out if you are casting or releasing too soon depending on when you hear the sound. It's a very cool device.

This might be the most helpful feature. Looking forward to hearing more.

The only thing I"ll say in regards to price right now is that I see this as something that could be used almost every round. The need to warm up/stretch out is always there.

That looks sweet! I've seen them in the golf stores. I wonder how accurately the mechanical swingspeed meter works compared to an electronic one...

Is it short enough to swing indoors? Or do you have to brave the QC weather ;)

Back