Where's the proper place to stand while others are teeing off?

TheProfessor

Reaction score
Handicap
I remember seeing a cover of a golf digest magazine several years back that included an article on this (i.e., where to stand while others in your group are teeing off), but I never picked up a copy.

I ask because I see tour players and their caddies often on the far side of the tee box (i.e., in sight of the player on the tee for right handers), while it's not unusual for it to be the other way around on many of the golf outings I've played. Sometimes folks will stand directly behind my line of play -- if it's someone that I play with frequently, it unsettles me less than someone who is not a regular....just one of those quirks I guess.

I just wondered, is there etiquette on where to stand when another player in your group has the tee box?

I just use the guideline to make sure I am out of his vision, making sure my shadow isn't anywhere near him, and usually not behind him. Sometimes the sense of someone behind you can kind of mess you up. Like you said off to the side is perfect.

For me I don't mind where someone stands as long as it is out of my line of sight.

My playing partners and I usually stand to the back left of the person teeing off. We are out of his sightline, and usually are not casting shadows.

I don't like people behind me. Probably because I can see them out of the corner of my eye? I stand to the side and try to make sure I am not in the sight line, but where I can see where the ball goes.
By behind I mean to my right. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
As long as you don't move, I don't care where you stand. I actually like people to stand on my line at the back of the tee box; I think it's easier to see the ball from there.

Dont stand anywhere in front of the person swinging. Just this past week I was playing from the middle tees and the rest of the group was from the back. I was standing far right from the golfer on the box but still ahead. I actually thought I should probably move back, but then I said this guys has been striking the ball straight down the middle all day so I should be ok. As soon as I said that he swung and left the club face open. Worst shot he hit all day and it coming in hot and hit my bag which was about 4 feet in front me. I really could have been severly hurt and that cured me right then and there. Regardless fo the tees I am playing from, I will always let the farthest tee's tee off before I even begin to move towards my set of tees. The guy was very aplogetic, but it was clearly my fault.

There was absolutely NO reason for me to be standing where I was. Also, ALWAYS listen to that voice inside of you. I didnt, but just got luck this time.

SMG

I stand where they player cannot see me or my shadow. I don't like people standing to my right when I am swinging. For some reason it takes my concentration away from swinging and I usually hit a big fade.

As long as you don't move, I don't care where you stand. I actually like people to stand on my line at the back of the tee box; I think it's easier to see the ball from there.

I play with some people who like to stand there so they can see the ball. It probably shouldn't bother me.

Thats me as well Smally. As long as they don't wiggle around I don't care were they stand, other than I do like them to help keep an eye on my ball as I will for them.

I just use the guideline to make sure I am out of his vision, making sure my shadow isn't anywhere near him, and usually not behind him. Sometimes the sense of someone behind you can kind of mess you up. Like you said off to the side is perfect.

This is me as well, minus the standing behind part. The course i golfed league at this past year had a few holes that were directly into the sun in the late afternoon, so often guys, including myself, would get in the habbit of standing behind them on the tee box just so you could help see the ball. I'm not really bothered by anyone standing anywhere except to far out in front of me.
Speaking in regard to where to stand, i always try to make sure i always try to stand out of the field of vision behind the person putting. I don't know why, i just think it's courteous.

That's me, too! And I'll stand wherever you want me to stand. However, if you want me to watch your ball, I can only follow it from behind you. I can't always follow a ball when I stand to the side.

I believe it was in the Golf Digest article your talking about, but Arnold Palmer says as long as you can some part of the persons back you're fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as they stand still, remain relatively quiet, anywhere out of range of my back swing is fine with me.

The only real etiquette that apply's to this situation is to stand still and be quiet. Because if you put yourself in a pro's shoes they have people on all sides except in the path of the shot.

Behind is great so they can track your ball, its harder to see from the side.

I really avoid standing anywhere near anyone when they are teeing off, often standing far off and in an area where there is no possible way they could be distracted.

As long as they stand still, remain relatively quiet, anywhere out of range of my back swing is fine with me.
The only real etiquette that apply's to this situation is to stand still and be quiet. Because if you put yourself in a pro's shoes they have people on all sides except in the path of the shot.

I don't really care if you are quiet or not. In fact I would rather you talk normally rather than whisper (I'll want to strain to hear what you are saying!) Just don't start or stop talking when I'm swinging! Quiet would be best, but it's not that big a deal if it's not a sudden noise or a sudden stopping of the noise.

For me I don't mind where someone stands as long as it is out of my line of sight.

Exactly, if I can't see them, I just don't care where they stand. I find many people want to stand behind me in my line of sight on any shot, and especially when putting, folks just don't seem to understand line of sight. I ask people to move the 1st time it happens after that if they persist I try to focus harder and ignore them, but that can be hard if not down right impossible to do at times.

I try to stand out of sight/no shadow unless specifically requested to stand behind. I also request my friends sometimes to stand behind me on the target line, so they can track where the hell the ball is going, if I am hitting into the sun or it is starting to get dark.

I'll usually stand close to line of play but at the back of the tee box giving them plenty of space. I like to try to keep an eye on the shot for others - lord knows I need help keeping an eye on mine sometimes!

I vaguely remember reading that article and I may be wrong, but I think it said the right place was with the player's back facing you. So, figure the far left side of the tee box for a right handed player.

My regular playing partners aren't particular with where others stand as long as we're quiet and still. When I play with others I try to stay where their back's facing me as much as possible in order to completely remove myself from their field of vision. As for my preference, anywhere but in front of my tee'd ball is fine with me. Talking will not affect me but anything moving within my field of vision will.

During my volunteer marshalling for several tournaments, most Pros and caddies prefer being on their right quarter -usually the far side of the tee box. Watch where their caddies go before they hit their shot.

I try to stay on the path either behind or in front of the golfer and well off the teebox. It's his teebox till he is done. If the ball is in front at 12:00 oclock I don't like it when guys stand at 3:00 directly on my ball flight line to help watch the ball. It always freaks me out when I'm in my backswing and there is some guy who wasn't there when I was setting up. I'll ask them to stay off the box but some guys have habits. I'll just let them hit first from there on. If they have already hit they never seem to crowd me then. Yeah I've played with guys that always seemed to be walking in my line of sight right in my backswing.

Last edited:
The only place I don't like people to stand is where I feel like I am going to hit them on my backswing. Other than that feel free to stand whereever.

Back