TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Hanks/Hawk,

I know you guys have been testing a lot of clubs and I was wondering is there a huge adjustment period for these clubs? I hope I didn't skim that.

For these clubs, no. For other clubs that I've tried recently, yes. It took me about an hour or so to feel comfortable with them. In fact, once I hit the sim I was pretty surprised just how well I was striking the ball with them.

Thats great to hear. I know distance isn't everything but a big comfort factor is hitting a 7i instead of a 5i sometimes. I'm really itching to hit these in a bad way haha.

good question buddy! I have not noticed a distance loss, they are pretty spot on with my CG7's. I think the major difference that I have seen in the change is that the CB's are just a little less forgiving but it is much easier to produce good results. I have slowed my swing down, focused on good contact and the club is getting the ball to the spot I am aiming at.

Par 3, I think it was playing 180-185, JB or TC can correct me if I am wrong, I took a 6 iron and landed my ball about 10 feet in front of the flag. The greens were hard and not accepting golf balls very well, so I ended up on the back of the green. So, I was VERY pleased with where the ball landed, but not the outcome

Even better news. Especially for those of us that can't put the time in we want too. I hate the readjustment period after even a short time off from swinging.

For these clubs, no. For other clubs that I've tried recently, yes. It took me about an hour or so to feel comfortable with them. In fact, once I hit the sim I was pretty surprised just how well I was striking the ball with them.

Thats great to hear. I know distance isn't everything but a big comfort factor is hitting a 7i instead of a 5i sometimes. I'm really itching to hit these in a bad way haha.

Even better news. Especially for those of us that can't put the time in we want too. I hate the readjustment period after even a short time off from swinging.

well, you were one of the first people I thought about that would enjoy these, I know you are having some wrist issues so I think the light shaft paired with the light head will help. also, being able to slow thingsdown will also be good for you.

Thats ok bro I didnt good morning everyone either and I never do. It will be a good morning when I wake up and see green grass and its warm outside. Anyway, looking like Saturday is indoor range time with Hanks and golf4life. I plan on sneaking some swings in with these again.

Geez if it was outdoor course time I'd make the trek down!!! Perhaps next weekend, we can have an iron testers round

for these in particular no. these felt right as rain from jump, the only thing I had to adjust to initially was the workability factor. I'm not a big worker of the ball but these clubs allow you to do that. at least for me so far.
Hanks/Hawk,

I know you guys have been testing a lot of clubs and I was wondering is there a huge adjustment period for these clubs? I hope I didn't skim that.

One T, I apologize if I missed this but going from the CG7's to the CB's are you noticing a distance change? I know I read in the MC thread there was some distance loss (not a bad thing).

Ed Zackary my friend. When I read the shafts you all had in there, I was thinking these could be part of my wolfpack.

I don't like heavy anymore. I'm definitely follow these threads as close as I can.

well, you were one of the first people I thought about that would enjoy these, I know you are having some wrist issues so I think the light shaft paired with the light head will help. also, being able to slow thingsdown will also be good for you.

Did you feel it would work the ball more than you thought it would?

for these in particular no. these felt right as rain from jump, the only thing I had to adjust to initially was the workability factor. I'm not a big worker of the ball but these clubs allow you to do that. at least for me so far.

you being for real? not being rude, just curious

Ed Zackary my friend. When I read the shafts you all had in there, I was thinking these could be part of my wolfpack.

I don't like heavy anymore. I'm definitely follow these threads as close as I can.

These are def lighter than the CG7's if that tells you anything

Reactions: TC
Geez, all this talk of workability. Do people actually try to do this?

That's good to know actually. Going from the CG7's and S300's to what I have now has helped tremendously. These just sound so appealing.

Haha. I just want to make sure my "worked" shots wont be over worked with these if that makes sense. I don't work it on purpose usually.

I think I noted somewhere in one of my initial write ups here that with my previous irons you could blast away and the ball would almost always go straight. these seem to move the ball more than my previous set. bleieve me, it's unintentional workability
Did you feel it would work the ball more than you thought it would?

yes, like I said these seem to not go as straight all the time like my previous irons did so I think there is a certain amount of workabiity to these. these really brought out my fade more and even let me draw the ball a bit where my previous set I couldn't at all. sorry just my thoughts

Like I said up above, it's more unintentional workability than trying to do it myself. just my thoughts though

Appreciate Hanks that makes sense!

I think I noted somewhere in one of my initial write ups here that with my previous irons you could blast away and the ball would almost always go straight. these seem to move the ball more than my previous set. bleieve me, it's unintentional workability

yes, like I said these seem to not go as straight all the time like my previous irons did so I think there is a certain amount of workabiity to these. these really brought out my fade more and even let me draw the ball a bit where my previous set I couldn't at all. sorry just my thoughts

Like I said up above, it's more unintentional workability than trying to do it myself. just my thoughts though

No worries Hanks. I suppose that makes sense.

No need for an apology Hanks, I completely see what you are saying, I guess where I was confused is the way you said it. You used the term workable in the wrong manor IMHO. If it is being done by accident then its not the club being workable, its you mis hitting it and getting a draw or fade. I am also not jumping on you or being rude by stating this. I think as testers we are supposed to report back our honest findings and I do not want people to believe that these are some magical clubs that will make you a ball worker, because quite frankly they are not. Before these irons my typical ball flight was low and a slight draw. Not on purpose, it was what my swing produced.

Since getting these clubs I am hitting the ball straighter than I have ever hit irons. The ball flight is just high and straight, I freaken love it. I have tried to put a little "english" on the ball and it can be done, but its not seemless or easy. You would have to know exactly what you are doing. I have heard the term workable quite a bit in the past week and I guess I just want people to know that these clubs are not going to make you a scratch golfer. What I want to focus on is how they look, feel, sound, and play. thats what I would want to hear/read. Again, sorry if this came across as rude, it was not meant to be.

My miss with irons is a pull hook. Ill occasionally slice it but I'm hardly ever worried about that. Will these clubs exaggerate that miss or really any miss more than another?

My miss with irons is a pull hook. Ill occasionally slice it but I'm hardly ever worried about that. Will these clubs exaggerate that miss or really any miss more than another?

I think these will straighten that up to be very honest with you. I know we have all wondered what that screw in the back is and I really think its helps hit the ball straighter. As I said earlier, I used to hit a low draw on accident and now I am hitting the ball high and straight. so, these may just be the solution for you buddy

That's promising One T. I'm a right hander always worried about the left side of the course and it's disturbing. I can play to a slice if that's what I need to play one day, the pull hook is just too hard to play with sometimes imo (for my game). I can't wait to hit these.

I think these will straighten that up to be very honest with you. I know we have all wondered what that screw in the back is and I really think its helps hit the ball straighter. As I said earlier, I used to hit a low draw on accident and now I am hitting the ball high and straight. so, these may just be the solution for you buddy

only one way to find out Yoccos...hit em up when they come out!
That's promising One T. I'm a right hander always worried about the left side of the course and it's disturbing. I can play to a slice if that's what I need to play one day, the pull hook is just too hard to play with sometimes imo (for my game). I can't wait to hit these.

cool buddy, maybe these will straighten your game out!

Oh I'm eyeballing these to the point TM it's scary. Haha.

cool buddy, maybe these will straighten your game out!

That and getting my swing down a bit more! Its less than it was but having a bit of help is nice. Definitely not my current irons causing the miss haha.

only one way to find out Yoccos...hit em up when they come out!

Lol... Switch the responses to the quotes and itll make sense

I agree this post. Who doesnt want high and straight

Well, I had some range time and my first 2 rounds ever with these irons. It was also the 2nd and 3rd rounds of my season so I was a little rusty. I can tell you that I am already truly happy with these irons. I am seeing a great ball flight and when you hit these on the "screws" (no pun intended) you have to look to make sure you hit the ball, they feel absolutely incredible off the face. Also, when struck well, it makes a sound that just stays with you. Here is a video so you all will be able to hear exactly what I am talking about. I did stumble a little on my speech though. but I hit it well so didnt want a second take

My trajectory with these irons is some of the best I have seen. I am getting a very nice low penetrating ball flight that rises just a bit towards the end, which makes the ball land soft. In my round Sunday my irons really shined. I was struggling a bit off the tee but I was being rescued by my CB's. The topline is smaller than most GI irons so I think this will be very appealing to most golfers. Also, I have yet to notice the "screw" in the back at address. So, if that was a concern then dont let it be. These irons are beautiful, I make sure that when I put them in the back they all face the same way to showcase their beauty (not really) but JB and TC thought I did so much that JB had to take a picture.

One thing I have noticed where these irons truly shine is when you just slow yourself down, get your swing thoughts right that these irons will truly perform for you. You do not need to swing out of your shoes to get the results you are looking for. As far as distance, I am not seeing a gain or a loss with these, they are right on with my previous irons so the transition has been very easy.

Mishits are great with these. we all have them and I must say that these irons let you know you mis hit it but they also give you results you can live with. On a Par 3, I took a 5 iron and hit it out on the toe, I lost some yardage, which is expected, but the ball was just short of the green and a little right of my target. I was more than happy with that result considering I missed it. The feedback you get is not a "harsh" feedback, it is wierd...its just feedback and you can feel where the miss was.

When Pured, these irons really do shine. So far I think Taylor Made has hit a home run with these irons. This is one of the first irons that I have seen that managed to get everything right when it comes down to looks, feel, and performance.

Thx for the videos and your thoughts on these irons. Keep it up man!

Back