Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

Thanks to all for the come back replies....that's what I was hoping to hear from you about these irons.
I guess I will have to try them out, and if they don't work out look for a cheap ebay item in the near future.
I know they will be much easier to swing/hit the ball, but I am worried about the accuray of these irons.
I will report back once I have a chance to give them some time....need some help from the weather.

:golf:

BB

birdie bob, first off welcome and secondly, i thoroughly enjoyed reading your first post. it was well thought out and you brought up some interesting points, most of which never even crossed my mind. i have little accuracy problems with these irons and when i do miss, it's usually due to poor alignment. i'm currently playing off of a 4.8 and i'd say that ball striking with irons is my strongest assett as a golfer. the 2.0's are hands down some of the finest irons i've hit. i'd say forget the thin face and worrying about accuracy and worry more about how to adjust to the actual length of the club as well as the new found distances. i'm still not dialed in but i'm getting there.

good luck in your pursuit for some new sticks and i do hope you hang out here with us.

Hi all, a great site and forum. I'm happy to declare that a set of burner 2.0 reside in my bag. Only been there 2 weeks but enjoyed them so far and lots too talk about and get feedback on. I agree with all the comments about the fantastic looks, the feel and these are long. I’m finding I can work these left and right which is needed on my course and I was worried about this aspect.

I enjoyed birdie Bob’s comments about consistency of swing and accuracy. I'm guessing he means length accuracy as much as left/right. I do find a bit of variance in length. I'm not convinced it is thin face and where I strike the club - but it’s food for thought. One thing about these clubs is a desire to see how far these will go and give it a bit extra, and then a bit more, especially while getting use to them.

I've hit some bombs that made me smile ear to ear (e.g poor tee shot in the rough and had to make sure I got over trees - the plan was 8i to layup 40yds short and still be 30 yds closer than my old 8 iron, gave it everything and nicely on the green!!

I know it’s weak minded but these clubs will temp you to have a go and often reward you when you do (just so much fun easily making greens with 6i when a week back it was 4i - but then wondering if you can do it with the 7i is not so good)........ I suspect it will make dialing in these clubs slightly more difficult. Even when distances are down on paper I think there will be an ongoing need to fight the urge to ‘go at it’ with one club less. These clubs will temp that behavior and I suspect that aspect may likely be my biggest accuracy variable.

Just some thoughts that I would share about the iron accuracy issue... please note that I do not game these, nor have I spent any amount of time with them.

If the clubs are "longer" I would expect a decrease in accuracy relative to the length. Think of it this way- if you are 5 degrees off line at 150 yard (7 iron) and then change to the B2.0 (new 7 iron distance 165?) you will see a wider dispersion. Adding distance magnifies the "mistake" of an offline shot which is one of the reason (there are many others too) that a driver can be soooo tough to hit. All of the above makes sense and certainly fits the idea of "Longer at the cost of accuracy"

Now with the Burner 2.0 (remember I haven't played them) it seems like people are saying they are just as accurate as anything else out there. How can this be? While the Burner 2.0 7i may be less accurate than whatever 7i you are currently playing because of the distance factor mentioned above... the irons are just as accurate when compared to the same distance (150 yards compared to 150 yards).

People who are playing these- does the above explanation match what you see on the course? Does it make sense to anyone other than me?

There nothing wrong with the basic math, but a couple of factors to take into consideration.

The key one is forgiveness. A good comparison is a modern hybrid with an older 2i. Both are designed for approximately the same distance but hybrid sales show us which one is more accurate for amateurs. Most tours players now carry hybrids (the 1i, 2i are all but gone). The modern clubs ( not just these) are just better at helping us get the club back to square, or close to it , which lowers the inaccuracy of a poor swing. These feel good, progressive offsets... which all helps get the club to the right position. Other readers may have better feeback on things like off centre hits...

Then if a player can stand on the tee with a 7i that goes the same distance as a 5i but with a higher launch angles and more back spin it should equal less sideway movement. While the lofts on these irons could be seen as stronger and the shafts longer than some other club sets, the fact is that for a given distance I’m now hitting a shorter and more lofted club.

Less scientific is the factor that also comes from having a club that gives you confidence with when standing over the ball. It may not be the burners 2.0 for everyone but they do look great, cover the above considerations and worth a test drive...

There nothing wrong with the basic math, but a couple of factors to take into consideration.

The key one is forgiveness. A good comparison is a modern hybrid with an older 2i. Both are designed for approximately the same distance but hybrid sales show us which one is more accurate for amateurs. Most tours players now carry hybrids (the 1i, 2i are all but gone). The modern clubs ( not just these) are just better at helping us get the club back to square, or close to it , which lowers the inaccuracy of a poor swing. These feel good, progressive offsets... which all helps get the club to the right position. Other readers may have better feeback on things like off centre hits...

Then if a player can stand on the tee with a 7i that goes the same distance as a 5i but with a higher launch angles and more back spin it should equal less sideway movement. While the lofts on these irons could be seen as stronger and the shafts longer than some other club sets, the fact is that for a given distance I'm now hitting a shorter and more lofted club.

Less scientific is the factor that also comes from having a club that gives you confidence with when standing over the ball. It may not be the burners 2.0 for everyone but they do look great, cover the above considerations and worth a test drive...

i thought the bolded part is key and i've said it plenty. i would much rather be hitting a 9 iron from 150-155 than what use to be an 8 iron. it just helps increase confidence in your clubs and in your shots.

i kind of see what RxGus is saying but i'm just not finding those results at all. i find that with the 2.0's, they pretty much go where i'm aimed and my accuracy issues typically result from poor alignment rather than b/c of the length/thin face of the irons.

i also believe that more tour pros are putting hybrids in the bag over 1i, 2i's b/c the courses they play are set up so that they need more height on shots and hybrids assist them in that.

Hi all, a great site and forum. I'm happy to declare that a set of burner 2.0 reside in my bag. Only been there 2 weeks but enjoyed them so far and lots too talk about and get feedback on. I agree with all the comments about the fantastic looks, the feel and these are long. I’m finding I can work these left and right which is needed on my course and I was worried about this aspect.

I enjoyed birdie Bob’s comments about consistency of swing and accuracy. I'm guessing he means length accuracy as much as left/right. I do find a bit of variance in length. I'm not convinced it is thin face and where I strike the club - but it’s food for thought. One thing about these clubs is a desire to see how far these will go and give it a bit extra, and then a bit more, especially while getting use to them.

I've hit some bombs that made me smile ear to ear (e.g poor tee shot in the rough and had to make sure I got over trees - the plan was 8i to layup 40yds short and still be 30 yds closer than my old 8 iron, gave it everything and nicely on the green!!

I know it’s weak minded but these clubs will temp you to have a go and often reward you when you do (just so much fun easily making greens with 6i when a week back it was 4i - but then wondering if you can do it with the 7i is not so good)........ I suspect it will make dialing in these clubs slightly more difficult. Even when distances are down on paper I think there will be an ongoing need to fight the urge to ‘go at it’ with one club less. These clubs will temp that behavior and I suspect that aspect may likely be my biggest accuracy variable.

Welcome to THP and good luck with the Burners. Been very happy with mine and look forward to your thoughts as you hit them.

random question for OEM: Have you thought about going back to the x24's at all or are you 100% sold on these
Spoiler
till spring?

random question for OEM: Have you thought about going back to the x24's at all or are you 100% sold on these
Spoiler
till spring?

lol @ the spoiler. The 24's are all cleaned up and ready to be off'ed. I havent hit them in quite a while and now that theyre all cleaned up I wont.

lol @ the spoiler. The 24's are all cleaned up and ready to be off'ed. I havent hit them in quite a while and now that theyre all cleaned up I wont.

sweet dude, you gonna put them on here?

Lol. They are slick and if I wasn't super DUPER liking the big hits with my sticks they'd be on the list.

These 2.0's are cool too. I really like the set to be honest. I don't hit many shots with them because I don't want to buy them if that makes sense. Such good irons.

Lol. They are slick and if I wasn't super DUPER liking the big hits with my sticks they'd be on the list.

These 2.0's are cool too. I really like the set to be honest. I don't hit many shots with them because I don't want to buy them if that makes sense. Such good irons.

you were hitting the machspeeds great...

I have not been following this thread as close as I could of been, I see from the original 4 testers, Kevin and TC like their 2.0s so much they are making signifcant changes to their set-ups in recent days (TC getting rid of his hybrid and Kevin selling the X24s. What about Hanks and P4, how are you guys feeling about the 2.0s???

It finally dawned on me to take a look at the loft specs for the Burner 2.0s compared to the X-22s I had (as I was sitting here contemplating Mashie hybrid lofts). The lofts are are all 2 to 3 degrees stronger than the X-22s which may be part of the reason I am seeing longer distances. With that in mind thought, I am surprised that I see higher trajectories. That must be a function of the stock shafts on the Burner 2.0s versus the uniflex offering of the X-22s.

Iron........Burner 2.0 Loft.......X-22 Loft
PW.........45.........................45

had difficulty with the longer shafts, personally not for me
I have not been following this thread as close as I could of been, I see from the original 4 testers, Kevin and TC like their 2.0s so much they are making signifcant changes to their set-ups in recent days (TC getting rid of his hybrid and Kevin selling the X24s. What about Hanks and P4, how are you guys feeling about the 2.0s???

AD- don't forget the 2.0 shafts are tipped softer as well which is designed to mix nicely with the stronger lofts as well
It finally dawned on me to take a look at the loft specs for the Burner 2.0s compared to the X-22s I had (as I was sitting here contemplating Mashie hybrid lofts). The lofts are are all 2 to 3 degrees stronger than the X-22s which may be part of the reason I am seeing longer distances. With that in mind thought, I am surprised that I see higher trajectories. That must be a function of the stock shafts on the Burner 2.0s versus the uniflex offering of the X-22s.

Iron........Burner 2.0 Loft.......X-22 Loft
PW.........45.........................45

had difficulty with the longer shafts, personally not for me

I can understand that Hanks...I have not hit them as well in the most recent two rounds where most of my misses have been fat. I'm not sure if that is a function of the longer shaft, or the effect of the end of golf season lack of range/course time.

i think that the actual physical length of the 2.0's has been the hardest thing to adjust to myself. i've found that i need to back off the ball a couple of inches more than i was use to in order to see good ball striking.

Back