Play Safe or Go For It? Hybrid Delima!

There are many things to consider at this distance for me. First am I playing well and making good contact, secondly where is the pin. Thirdly where can I miss it and if there is no place to miss it but short then I lay up.

If you have a club you hit that distance, Duey, you have to go for it. We older fellows can only hit 200 yard approach shots for a limited time. Take 'em when you can get 'em.

Kevin

That makes more sense than most here know, lol. My 19* hybrid was pretty sorry today, but so was most of the bag. I get out there and hook up with some buddies to play scramble, so every shot was going for it, but after a lot of thought I think the time of year plays some roll in it. After all the heat and dry weather towards the end of the season we have some really tough lies. I think I'll be watching that more than anything and NOT going for it unless the lie warents it.

Thanks for all the replys and help guys.

I've seen this several times, but not really seeing it today. On the course I'm playing a lot now, I find myself in that 190 to 200 yard range quite a bit. I feel like I can generally get up and down, but there's the occasional miscue that costs me several shots per round.

Do most of you go for it from that range or lay up? I can hit the 19* around 210, but accuracy is not the best.

For 200 yards all depends on the situation... what sort of trouble is around, how I'm swinging, wind, lie, etc. From 190, I will almost always give it a go. I hit my 25° hybrid (my 185-190 go to club) with more confidence than I do my 22° (200 to a bit more, but not as consistent), so that 185-190 range is one I'm usually comfortable with.

Actually, pin placement for me from 200 isn't even a consideration, lol. From that far out I'm just hoping to hit the green, anywhere. I feel really solid from 80 yards with a full 60* or 95 yards with a sw, I may give that a try tonight and see if my scores improve. Although TC has me thinking on a 5w, lol.

I find it strange that you hit your SW 30 yards farther than I do, but apparently hit your hybrids shorter. My 56° SW is about 60-65 max.... for a 90 yard shot I'm using my 51° GW. And that's at a mile above sea level. :confused2:

For 200 yards all depends on the situation... what sort of trouble is around, how I'm swinging, wind, lie, etc. From 190, I will almost always give it a go. I hit my 25° hybrid (my 185-190 go to club) with more confidence than I do my 22° (200 to a bit more, but not as consistent), so that 185-190 range is one I'm usually comfortable with.

I find it strange that you hit your SW 30 yards farther than I do, but apparently hit your hybrids shorter. My 56° SW is about 60-65 max.... for a 90 yard shot I'm using my 51° GW. And that's at a mile above sea level. :confused2:

I don't really understand it either Rick. I played with a young guy a few days ago who hit everything a mile. 300 was easy off the tee and 5 iron 200 yards like falling off a rock, but when I hit my 60* CG15 75 yards with a high flight and stuck close it blew his mind. It started out a consistant 60 yard club, but much farther now.

My 56* CG14 sw is very consistant at 95 to 100 yards and the 52* CG15 is consistant at 115. I hear a lot of people hitting those distances with the same clubs, but they also hit a driver past me about 40 yards, lol.

all this talk about "belbin-ing" it from 200y with a 7 iron is going to make my head inflate....(200 is a 5i btw)
Duey - in any case on Sunday I was 216 (uphill) out from a par 5, and that is right in between my 4w and 4i. (hence the need for a 3-hybrid), and I decided to play it safe by just easing an 8 iron out there to 50-60y. Well wouldn't you know it the easy swing messed me up and I pretty much shanked it. So my lesson for the day is that I either need a 3-hybrid, or I should just play my game and go for it.

200 yards is a 4h for me so most of the times I will go for it unless there is water or OOB very close to the green.

all this talk about "belbin-ing" it from 200y with a 7 iron is going to make my head inflate....(200 is a 5i btw)
Duey - in any case on Sunday I was 216 (uphill) out from a par 5, and that is right in between my 4w and 4i. (hence the need for a 3-hybrid), and I decided to play it safe by just easing an 8 iron out there to 50-60y. Well wouldn't you know it the easy swing messed me up and I pretty much shanked it. So my lesson for the day is that I either need a 3-hybrid, or I should just play my game and go for it.

Heck, I'd "belbin" it if I could, but not in the cards, lol. Playing yesterday I found myself going for it most of the time, although I did shank a 3w to 100 yards on one hole, then hit a great shot to about 6 feet. I spent the next few holes laying up again, haha

I actually really like the 210- 220 range... I can hit my 21* hybrid better than a lot of my irons right now (thank you transition golf) and when I get to that distance I almost always go for it.

6 months ago it was a pretty different story.

200 to 207 is "Money" for my 4 hybrid.

I actually really like the 210- 220 range... I can hit my 21* hybrid better than a lot of my irons right now (thank you transition golf) and when I get to that distance I almost always go for it.

6 months ago it was a pretty different story.

What is this transition golf?

lol I have been through about 5 sets of irons in the last couple weeks... Transitioning.. I guess I worded poorly.

nice, I have a set I will sell you. haha

.....nnnno!!!! hahaha - I am done done done done done!

For your sake I hope you are done. I saw what happens when a set of clubs gets in your head- not pretty!

On Topic:
Duey- My threshold for going for it is 210 (average 3h shot). Anything beyond that I tend to lay up. If there is no trouble in front of the green I'll sometimes take a hybrid and move it back in my stance trying to roll it up to the green.

I "can" get my 3wood out to 250 if I catch it really good and depending on how my round is going sometimes that comes into play. If I am playing poorly I am far more likely to pull her out and wail away. I am also susceptible to peer pressure. On the Palmer course I was going to lay up and after seeing someone roll one near the front I got talked into going for it. I ended up GIR-1 and putting for eagle.

For your sake I hope you are done. I saw what happens when a set of clubs gets in your head- not pretty!

On Topic:
Duey- My threshold for going for it is 210 (average 3h shot). Anything beyond that I tend to lay up. If there is no trouble in front of the green I'll sometimes take a hybrid and move it back in my stance trying to roll it up to the green.

I "can" get my 3wood out to 250 if I catch it really good and depending on how my round is going sometimes that comes into play. If I am playing poorly I am far more likely to pull her out and wail away. I am also susceptible to peer pressure. On the Palmer course I was going to lay up and after seeing someone roll one near the front I got talked into going for it. I ended up GIR-1 and putting for eagle.

Gus, nothing beats going for it from 200 or better and getting there, lol. Until the second half of the summer I was hitting my 3 wood and hybrids really well, but I just can't count on them right now. Hit a great one yesterday, but that was one of 4, haha.

Back