Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

+1 The two tone finish really hides the wear yet somehow lets you know where you're striking the ball.

I failed to mention that in my thoughts as well. The two toned topline hides the thickness and makes it appear as though at setup that the club is actually far thinner than it is. Great quality.

Performance wise, I am not seeing a huge difference. Distance for me is similar to that of the 09s (which is incredibly long), ball flight is slightly more penetrating, but the big difference for me is feel. They just feel different to me. Better in my opinion.

I guess I will wait to get my hands on the 2.0 Burners to see how they look and feel. As far as performance, it seems that there is not a significant difference between the new 2.0 Burners and 2009 Burners based on what you guys have tested. Thanks for the info!!

Great review guys!! I recently bought the 2009 Burner irons and I really love them. Because it was so recent, I have a chance to return them for the new 2.0 Burners. Are the new Burner 2.0 that much better than the old 2009 for me to take the time to get a upgrade? I have a dilemma and was wondering if anyone could shed light on what I need to do....Thanks

For me, if I buy something and the new version of that something comes out within exchange time, Im always going to check out the new one. Ive hit both these sets and currently have the 2.0's for testing as youve probably already read. Like JB has said the performance is very close but the feel is much better on the newere Burners. I guess if I were you Id go hit the new ones and see what feels better to you. And then see if you can justift the cost of upgrading if you so choose. Looks wise, I love the new Burners look. They just look awesome.

Obviously, I haven't hit the 2.0s but I went and bought a stock, stiff, steel 2009 Burner demo 6i ($25) and took it to the range twice. I'm not sure how I feel. Coming from the MP-52s, the difference in feel is ... well ... noticeable. The Burner is harder and a bit clicky. It certainly performs, I was hitting high, baby fades about 175 and had no problem with punch shots and knockdowns. I did notice difficulty in hitting the same, or near same shot, several times in dispersion. While the club was at least 15 yards of carry longer than my MP-52, the dispersion was 2, or more, times greater. I don't really work the ball, other than high-low, and my stock shot is either straight or a bit of a fade. My misses are either fat or pulls (OTP issue). Since I tend to hit high/low on the face or fat rather than thin or on the toe, the additional "forgiveness" wasn't that critical to me.

Jury is out. I don't play enough to score low(ish) and keep the -52s and I could certainly use the extra distance but I'd need to see if the Burner 2.0 feels "better" and has more consistency than its predecessor. It's nice to go 10-15 yards further but not if it's offline! I'll give this 6i a couple more range sessions and slip it in my bag for a round this weekend to give it a better test.

Thanks to the THP testers for this thread and giving me something to think about, TM irons and especially the Burner weren't really on my radar screen before.

I am a little shocked that the using the MP-52s you saw more tight of a shot dispersion than that of the Burners. But I believe it is more to do with not being used to the shaft length yet. When I am reviewing irons, and I review blades, GE, GI, & SGI, I have rarely found a GE iron that has a tighter shot dispersion for a mid-high handicap.

But that is what is great about this game. If you are seeing that, I would definitely not switch.

Any idea of how these will perform for somebody who is more of sweeper. Currently play mizuno mx-25 and hit them fairly well (occasional skull once in great while), but I almost take no divot most of times if any.

Any idea of how these will perform for somebody who is more of sweeper. Currently play mizuno mx-25 and hit them fairly well (occasional skull once in great while), but I almost take no divot most of times if any.

I'm a sweeper myself and also use to play the mx 25's. As soon as I get my set I will chime in for you.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

I can't say for sure because I'm not much of a sweeper but I can say that my divots are deeper with the 2.0s than they were with my MP-57s. I don't know for sure if that is just my getting used to the longer and/or bigger iron or what.

Speaking of longer, I haven't even noticed the increase in the actual length of the iron, maybe a little bit if I really think about it but it allows me to choke up just a little bit since my normal iron grip is way at the end where part of my top (left) hand is actually over the top of the grip. So far I really like the feel of the length of the irons.

All in all I'm really liking these a lot more each time I use them. Today before my round I was hitting PW working on hitting some controlled distances to about 20 to 30 yards short of my normal PW distance, that went great. Then afterwards I had some balls left so I thought I'd just see how the PW reacted when I tried to kill it to see if I could get it to go 150, well once I did but every other shot was so unpredictable and usually poor that I was definitely left knowing that a good smooth swing with the appropriate club (in this case 9i) is MUCH smarter than trying to muscle something. Then we get out to the course and we're on our 17th hole, dead into a fairly stiff breeze and junior tees tonight so we were 140 yds to the pin. Well I'm an idiot and didn't learn a dang thing from the range, I should have took an easy swing with an 8i but I thought I'd HAMMER a 9...well same bag miss hit and I ended up short and right. Lesson to be learned here kids....take more club and swing smooth!

I'm playing Friday and again Saturday, after Saturday's round I'm going to post up new pics of the entire set to show how they're holding up in the wear department.

Remember, if you have any questions please ask and if there's any kind of shot you're wondering how the 2.0 will perform let me know and I'll be happy to get out and give it a try. Even the 256 yd 4 iron stinger if you're wondering. YEAH, that's not gonna happen! I wish!

I'll be honest, I was kind of avoiding this thread, but after spending a bit of time going through some pages, I am really quite shocked that their stock shafts are THAT much longer than standard iron shafts from other companies..

Doesn't this kind of take the whole concept of getting fit away from the equation? Are the clubs more flat because of the longer shafts?

I'll be honest, I was kind of avoiding this thread, but after spending a bit of time going through some pages, I am really quite shocked that their stock shafts are THAT much longer than standard iron shafts from other companies..

Doesn't this kind of take the whole concept of getting fit away from the equation? Are the clubs more flat because of the longer shafts?

That is what they said about driver shafts 5 years ago too. Now look around. Irons are going the same way, look at the X-24. Everybody should get fit for irons. No question about it. But as a company, they also know that over 80% of all iron sets are still sold OTR. Its a shame really but true. Its the same thing when someone says I play a Stiff shaft in my driver and then assumes that they play a stiff in all makes and models.

TM knows their market well and plays for that. In the end, I see it as no different from any other OTR purchase. Some irons will be too short and some will be too long when purchasing OTR. Ideally everybody should get fit for their irons.

dude, your 4 iron is money with that set. seeing it in use by you first hand is believing

I can't say for sure because I'm not much of a sweeper but I can say that my divots are deeper with the 2.0s than they were with my MP-57s. I don't know for sure if that is just my getting used to the longer and/or bigger iron or what.

Speaking of longer, I haven't even noticed the increase in the actual length of the iron, maybe a little bit if I really think about it but it allows me to choke up just a little bit since my normal iron grip is way at the end where part of my top (left) hand is actually over the top of the grip. So far I really like the feel of the length of the irons.

All in all I'm really liking these a lot more each time I use them. Today before my round I was hitting PW working on hitting some controlled distances to about 20 to 30 yards short of my normal PW distance, that went great. Then afterwards I had some balls left so I thought I'd just see how the PW reacted when I tried to kill it to see if I could get it to go 150, well once I did but every other shot was so unpredictable and usually poor that I was definitely left knowing that a good smooth swing with the appropriate club (in this case 9i) is MUCH smarter than trying to muscle something. Then we get out to the course and we're on our 17th hole, dead into a fairly stiff breeze and junior tees tonight so we were 140 yds to the pin. Well I'm an idiot and didn't learn a dang thing from the range, I should have took an easy swing with an 8i but I thought I'd HAMMER a 9...well same bag miss hit and I ended up short and right. Lesson to be learned here kids....take more club and swing smooth!

I'm playing Friday and again Saturday, after Saturday's round I'm going to post up new pics of the entire set to show how they're holding up in the wear department.

Remember, if you have any questions please ask and if there's any kind of shot you're wondering how the 2.0 will perform let me know and I'll be happy to get out and give it a try. Even the 256 yd 4 iron stinger if you're wondering. YEAH, that's not gonna happen! I wish!

dan, i have a couple of questions for you:

1. why were you avoiding this thread?
2. i think that most OEM's stock shaft lengths are different, so what if TM's are a longer?

dude, your 4 iron is money with that set. seeing it in use by you first hand is believing
I've hit the 2.0 4 iron so much more than I've ever hit a 4 iron in my life. I've really been loving it too which is why I had no worries about stepping up to a 220 yd hole (wind behind us mind you) with water all along the right. I just missed it, the last few weeks my miss has been short and right and wouldn't you know it, the short and right crept in on me at a horrible time. With the Burners my short and right miss has all but vanished too, which is nice.

dan, i have a couple of questions for you:

1. why were you avoiding this thread?
2. i think that most OEM's stock shaft lengths are different, so what if TM's are a longer?

haha...

Me and TM are not on speaking terms at the moment (please laugh, I'm not being serious!)

Just checked a few that were relevant to me....

TaylorMade Burner 2.0
3 - 39.5
6 - 37.625
9 - 36

TaylorMade R9
3 - 39
6 - 37.5
9 - 36

Mizuno mp-63
3 - 38.75
6 - 37.25
9 - 35.75

Bridgestone j38 Cavity Backs
3 - 38.75
6 - 37.25
9 - 35.75

Oddly enough, "they" isn't a very good way of putting it, as it seems like the shorter the irons, the closer they get to being identical. I was just surprised because I don't think I have EVER been fitted for more than just the 6 iron. This is a great bit of information for me, as I'll definitely consider this the next time I get fitted for a club.

You are comparing GI irons to GE brands and irons. Compare to Nike, Callaway, etc... and see what you come up with.

Im sure this has been said in the 28 pages, but how is the head size and offset of the 2.0's to the r9s?

well, i got word tonight that my 2.0's should be here tomorrow. i'm very excited and look forward to putting these irons through the ringer. Taylormade has been very generous in this and i want to thank them for choosing me to test and report on their newest iron offering. it took a little longer than all parties anticipated but in the end, it's not a big deal, i'm just glad that i have the opportunity.

i'll take and post some pics when i get them.

I just ordered today the new burner 2.0's. After all the things that have been said in this thread I just couldn't wait anymore to order them. I have been looking for new irons for about two months now and have hit every iron that Golf Town carries. I was going to wait until they hit the shelves to demo them and then order them but that would just take way too long. I did my fitting today and ordered 4-PW stiff and now just have to wait 15 days...this is going to be tough.

I just ordered today the new burner 2.0's. After all the things that have been said in this thread I just couldn't wait anymore to order them. I have been looking for new irons for about two months now and have hit every iron that Golf Town carries. I was going to wait until they hit the shelves to demo them and then order them but that would just take way too long. I did my fitting today and ordered 4-PW stiff and now just have to wait 15 days...this is going to be tough.
You will not be disappointed cb! Be sure to stop back here and tell us all about your thoughts, I'm loving them! I'm going to play 18 tomorrow and got another 18 on Saturday, great weekend coming up!!!

well, i got word tonight that my 2.0's should be here tomorrow. i'm very excited and look forward to putting these irons through the ringer. Taylormade has been very generous in this and i want to thank them for choosing me to test and report on their newest iron offering. it took a little longer than all parties anticipated but in the end, it's not a big deal, i'm just glad that i have the opportunity.

Congratulations, TC. I'm looking forward to details on how they compare to your X22s particularly. I've been looking at the X22 (prices are super) for my next set.

It will be well worth the wait. The Burners are really looking to be a very good set. If it ever stops raining Im hoping to get out on the course this weekend with mine. Look forward to reading your thoughts when you finally get your set.

Congratulations, TC. I'm looking forward to details on how they compare to your X22s particularly. I've been looking at the X22 (prices are super) for my next set.

thanks! i'll be sure to do some serious head to head with both sets. i see you currently have the mx23's? i use to have the mx 25's before i made the switch to the x22's. i love them, and i can't wait to pit the 2.0's against them.

hope you don't have a Wider moment and you get RH clubs sent to you after all this time

Back