Contest Winners Thread

I have a black Adidas hat with white black camo that matches perfect. Awesome outfit with black pants and white belt.

Nice haul hawk! Love that shirt bro.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Hawk,
Very nice swag! Congrats. See you at the next one.

Sweet looking outfit Hawk!

It'll be a while before I get my THP Outing prize. But, after talking to my local club fitter, who I've played lots of golf with, so he knows my game, he's thinking I'm going to really like these. Hopefully, I be able to find time for a fitting this week. Anybody wanna buy some Ping i5's (2*upright) LOL!

Mizuno JPX-800 Pro

25973-2.jpg

JPX800pro-Pair.jpg_e_dcc837744b945d06feed5b6040f83b19.jpg

JPX800pro-8.jpg_e_adda7e82a581ec94157a5ab7ff33af7b.jpg

JPX800Pro-3.jpg_e_7ec57d9522896b913a812aced8028862.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with, staticline.

The 800 and 800 Pros are sweet staticline. Good luck with the fitting and congrats.

congrats again staticline...let us know how that mizuno fitting process goes for you

Congrats!

Good choice on the clubs too- they felt really nice at the outing!

Stat -Congrats on the prize my friend! You will be hitting those puppies soon and I can see the love in your post :in-love:. You going to let the Mrs. hit those beautiful irons? Naw she might whup your booty with them :D

Stat -Congrats on the prize my friend! You will be hitting those puppies soon and I can see the love in your post :in-love:. You going to let the Mrs. hit those beautiful irons? Naw she might whup your booty with them :D

HAHA! Thank God they'll be stiff shafts, or they may disappear into another bag. I think she'd beat all us even using some old school hickory shafts. She plays the boring golf...fairway, green, 2-putt. How the heck can someone enjoy a golf course if they never leave the short grass????

congrats again staticline...let us know how that mizuno fitting process goes for you

Had my fitting this afternoon. What made it nice is that I'm friends with they guy. So, he didn't charge me for the fitting. Plus, we've played some golf together. So, he knows my game pretty well. Today in North Texas was perfect golf weather. High of about 80, not a cloud in the sky, with a very slight breeze out of the east.

After warming up, Club Fitter (CF) came out with the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer. This algorithmic masterpiece spits out 5 numbers:
Head Speed - Miles Per Hour
Tempo - How quickly the player transitions from the backswing to the downswing. Ex 1=slow 10=fast
Toe Down - A measure of the bowing of the shaft in a downward direction during the downswing.
Kick Angle - The amount of shaft forward bending during the downswing motion.
Release Factor - How and when the clubhead and shaft are releasing during the downswing. Example 1=Sergio Garcia, serious lag. 10=take up flyfishing 'cuz I think you're casting.

It's a 6 iron of which type I have no idea. The bottom of the club head said "shaft optimizer", I think. I hit 3 balls with it. Then we went back inside to his PC and put those numbers into the software.
My averages were:
Headspeed: 89mph
The below are on a 1-10 scale
Tempo: 6 (6,6,6)
Toe Down: 5 (4,5,5)
Kick Angle: 4 (4,4,4)
Release Factor: 5 (5,5,6)

The recommended shafts were:
Dynamic Golf X-100 (soft step) 130gram
Project X 6.0 125 gram
KBS X Flex (Soft Step) 130gram

I learned a new term today....soft step. When you look at a steel shaft, it has "steps", which start about 6-9 inches above the hosel and are every 2-3 inches all the way up the shaft. I don't exactly know how to define it, but here's an example. Put a 3-iron shaft in your 4-iron but cut it to 4-iron length. The first "step" is a little farther from the hosel than a standard 4-iron shaft. This is done to every iron. So, my PW will have a 9-iron shaft but cut to PW length, 9 will have an 8, etc.

My CF is not a fan of the Project X and I tend to go with his recommendations. So, we grabbed the TT Dynamic Gold and the KBS. He also grabbed the M-53 and JPX Pro heads.

Back out at the range: I hit 2-3 balls with each shaft clubhead combination, concentrating on "how the shaft feels". This is a little difficult for me, as I'm not a feel player. If the ball goes where I aim and his a mid trajectory I'm happy. Anyway, I noticed right off the TT seemed to, for lack of a better word, "lag" a little, like it wasn't getting through the impact zone fast enough. The KBS felt good all the way through.

Next, with just the KBS, I rehit the MP-53 and JPX. When comparing them close-up, there was, at the time, what I considered only a slight difference. The JPX has a wider sole and was also a little bit wider on top. I didn't think it was material. Boy was I wrong. I hit 2 balls with the 53's and they were like butter. When I addressed the ball with the JPX Pro's, it looked like a hockey stick, compared to the -53's. I immediately noticed the club head size and couldn't get that out of my mind. I hit 2 balls, gave the JPX back and said "I don't like it. The head size bothers me".

Now, we're down to the MP-53 with KBS X flex. The final step was to determine lie. I hit 2-3 off the strike plate with the impact tape on the face and the bottom of the club. (Man, I wish using the strike plate on the course was legal). 1* upright was the final result. We tried one that was 2* up, like my current i5's. But, my good swings were starting off left. So, 1* it is.

After all that, we went back inside and he pulled out the "Mizuno Custom Club Fitting Order Form" while trumpets played in the background. He wrote down my Shaft Optimizer numbers, checked a bunch of boxes a wrote down the shaft type. For the grips, I wanted what I currently had, the Tour Wrap 2G White. But, that wasn't an option on the form. So, I chose the black. But, tomorrow, when I send the form to JB, I'll ask him to see if the Mizuno guys have some white 2g tour wraps available. If not, I've asked for the black grips to be "loose in box" and then I can swap them with the club fitter for some white ones.

Once I get them in, I take some pics and post 'em for the world to see.

Thanks again to THP and Mizuno for a totally awesome prize.

Spoiler
Had my fitting this afternoon. What made it nice is that I'm friends with they guy. So, he didn't charge me for the fitting. Plus, we've played some golf together. So, he knows my game pretty well. Today in North Texas was perfect golf weather. High of about 80, not a cloud in the sky, with a very slight breeze out of the east.

After warming up, Club Fitter (CF) came out with the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer. This algorithmic masterpiece spits out 5 numbers:
Head Speed - Miles Per Hour
Tempo - How quickly the player transitions from the backswing to the downswing. Ex 1=slow 10=fast
Toe Down - A measure of the bowing of the shaft in a downward direction during the downswing.
Kick Angle - The amount of shaft forward bending during the downswing motion.
Release Factor - How and when the clubhead and shaft are releasing during the downswing. Example 1=Sergio Garcia, serious lag. 10=take up flyfishing 'cuz I think you're casting.

It's a 6 iron of which type I have no idea. The bottom of the club head said "shaft optimizer", I think. I hit 3 balls with it. Then we went back inside to his PC and put those numbers into the software.
My averages were:
Headspeed: 89mph
The below are on a 1-10 scale
Tempo: 6 (6,6,6)
Toe Down: 5 (4,5,5)
Kick Angle: 4 (4,4,4)
Release Factor: 5 (5,5,6)

The recommended shafts were:
Dynamic Golf X-100 (soft step) 130gram
Project X 6.0 125 gram
KBS X Flex (Soft Step) 130gram

I learned a new term today....soft step. When you look at a steel shaft, it has "steps", which start about 6-9 inches above the hosel and are every 2-3 inches all the way up the shaft. I don't exactly know how to define it, but here's an example. Put a 3-iron shaft in your 4-iron but cut it to 4-iron length. The first "step" is a little farther from the hosel than a standard 4-iron shaft. This is done to every iron. So, my PW will have a 9-iron shaft but cut to PW length, 9 will have an 8, etc.

My CF is not a fan of the Project X and I tend to go with his recommendations. So, we grabbed the TT Dynamic Gold and the KBS. He also grabbed the M-53 and JPX Pro heads.

Back out at the range: I hit 2-3 balls with each shaft clubhead combination, concentrating on "how the shaft feels". This is a little difficult for me, as I'm not a feel player. If the ball goes where I aim and his a mid trajectory I'm happy. Anyway, I noticed right off the TT seemed to, for lack of a better word, "lag" a little, like it wasn't getting through the impact zone fast enough. The KBS felt good all the way through.

Next, with just the KBS, I rehit the MP-53 and JPX. When comparing them close-up, there was, at the time, what I considered only a slight difference. The JPX has a wider sole and was also a little bit wider on top. I didn't think it was material. Boy was I wrong. I hit 2 balls with the 53's and they were like butter. When I addressed the ball with the JPX Pro's, it looked like a hockey stick, compared to the -53's. I immediately noticed the club head size and couldn't get that out of my mind. I hit 2 balls, gave the JPX back and said "I don't like it. The head size bothers me".

Now, we're down to the MP-53 with KBS X flex. The final step was to determine lie. I hit 2-3 off the strike plate with the impact tape on the face and the bottom of the club. (Man, I wish using the strike plate on the course was legal). 1* upright was the final result. We tried one that was 2* up, like my current i5's. But, my good swings were starting off left. So, 1* it is.

After all that, we went back inside and he pulled out the "Mizuno Custom Club Fitting Order Form" while trumpets played in the background. He wrote down my Shaft Optimizer numbers, checked a bunch of boxes a wrote down the shaft type. For the grips, I wanted what I currently had, the Tour Wrap 2G White. But, that wasn't an option on the form. So, I chose the black. But, tomorrow, when I send the form to JB, I'll ask him to see if the Mizuno guys have some white 2g tour wraps available. If not, I've asked for the black grips to be "loose in box" and then I can swap them with the club fitter for some white ones.

Once I get them in, I take some pics and post 'em for the world to see.

Thanks again to THP and Mizuno for a totally awesome prize.

Awesome post Staticline- you enjoy those puppies for me. Sounds like you are getting a perfect set of clubs for you!

fantastic post static! thanks for sharing the process with us and enjoy those sticks when you get them. your write up makes me want to do the shaft optimizer, lol

Congrats again, Static! Glad that you had such a good experience.

nice write up of the process Staticline. Sounds like a hell of a process to go through. Can't wait to see pictures of those MP-53's when they arrive. Hope you can get the grips on them that you want, but if not...free mizuno's with different grips aren't a bad way to go right? haha Enjoy the MP-53

Awesome. I really liked the MP 53s I tried at the demo day. Very forgiving for a cavity back iron in my opinion, and they do feel like butter. Good choice.

Great write-up static. You have to feel like a kid in a candy store. Congrats, can't wait to see the final results.

My MACHINE putter

My MACHINE putter

Hey All,
Sorry for coming so late to the game, but a 7 yr old, his grandparents, his aunt, and a needy wife with a honey do list a mile long have been keeping me busy for the past 2 weeks.

As most of you know, I won the RH MACHINE putter at the THP outing...While some people said I should put it on the wall and adore it from afar, I am an engineer... Function always before Form. (besides, I was putting so badly LH at the outing that I switched to using the RH putter with a Left Hand low grip.) As a lot of people can attest, I started putting much better. I shaved 7 putts off my Sunday and Monday rounds compared to my LH putting on Friday and Saturday. I have played 3 rounds with this club, so on to the review..

Looks - This is a thing of beauty. While it does not have sleek lines and paint fill everywhere, it has a raw beauty that I found very appealing. The weld on the back half, done by the owner himself, lends a certain primitive flair that a lot of people have found appealing. The color of the metal at first looks "brassy" but on closer inspection gives off a beautiful purple/bluish hue.

Feel - I have forever used a permiter weighted or mallet putter..(usually with an insert). I had my reservations before I hit the MACHINE for the first time as it was anser style...(nothing I have ever gamed before) This thing was like butter. The weight was perfect and the slight offset is working out very well. I am not really a fan of super smooth grips so the jury is still out in that department.

Performance - What can I say..The score speaks for itself. i realize i changed 3 variables at one time (putter, grip style and going RH), but the planets must have aligned. I get over the ball and it is like I can see a line all the way to the hole....I know it sounds sort of "Caddyshack'ish" (nanananananana) but I swear that is how it feels. I needed to take one day to practice lag putting, but that was because of my switch...not the putter.

All in All, I could not be happier...and I want to thank THP for acquiring this putter....Worry not as it has found a good home...

Bama

IMG_9361_DCE.jpg

IMG_9363_DCE.jpg

bama that putter is beautiful. I love that you are putting right handed and seeing some results.

I dont remember, who won the SeeMore and have we seen the pictures yet?

I dont remember, who won the SeeMore and have we seen the pictures yet?

whoever was after me. When I spun the wheel it was between the SeeMore and the Scratch Wedge. Here is my scratch wedge with THP stamp.

f16a0427.jpg

I need to post my vibrant wedge. Ill do that tomorrow. Seeing the shaft in the glorious AZ sun really brings out the awesomeness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back