Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice score after taking a long break!

it's always tough to get back in the swing with a lay off like that. Nice job GG!

Thanks! It's funny the last time I played golf was at this course and I played 9 by myself and I think I shot a 60 ro a 62 and that was after practicing all week so I was actually pretty happy with the 53. And that is with no pars. Normally I get a par and a bunch of triple bogeys but I only had 1 major blow up hole so that was pretty good.

Thats awesome Rhino!!! Congrats buddy!!! I know you were so excited.

GG, a 53 is not that bad, you see the small mistakes you made and you know what to improve on, 3 1/2 strokes can be made up....You can break 100

Thats awesome Rhino!!! Congrats buddy!!! I know you were so excited.

GG, a 53 is not that bad, you see the small mistakes you made and you know what to improve on, 3 1/2 strokes can be made up....You can break 100

I really need to work on that sneaky slice that keeps coming back. I know exactly what I am doing wrong too, but when I try to fix it sometimes I over compensate and make it worse. I do know what I did wrong and that is definitely the first step in getting better. Thanks for the great words of encouragement!! :smile:

congrats Wr on a great round...to break 100 by such a margin shows how well you can really do.

Keep working at it GG with such a long break and the penalty strokes you did really well!

Congrats WR! Great round indeed.

I've also been seeing some progress. Don't really count strokes very often, as we normally play stableford and just pick up if there's no points to be had. I did however clock a 96 the other day on a so-so round, so I'm quite sure I've broken 100 on quite a few occasions by now. Participated in the Club Championships this weekend. (the stableford part, the good guys played strokeplay ofc) Had no expectations whatsoever, but managed 35 points on Saturday which was enough for 1st. Followed that with a 36 on Sunday, which was enough for 2nd overall. Not bad for my first tournament, if I dare say so myself. Got a trophy and everything! :victory:

Thanks to my awful putting, I keep going backwards :( I was 10 over on my putts yesterday, way too much and blew up a chance for birdie with a triple bogey :angry: My approach shots seem to be getting better (esp. in the fairways) and my chipping is great. My driving lacks distance :nono: and my putting is THE WORST part of my game!!

I'd like to join the 100 club as well!
I'm in my first season of taking the game seriously. Prior to this year I would play in a couple of scramble events each year and was more concerned with consumption of adult beverages and networking than performing well on the course. Late last year I played several times with some coworkers and got hooked which led me to dedicated myself to becoming a competent player this year.

I've taken several lessons so far from an outstanding teaching pro (Jason Manke from Kalahari Golf Academy at Trapper's Turn) in hopes of developing a 'real' swing and have had some really good successes along the way in improving my ball striking (he's got me using a modified S&T which is a complete departure from the disaster I called a swing before), although I still slide back into bad habits when I lose focus which usually spell disaster. I'm a competent putter (thankfully) and am having more, quicker, success in developing a consistent short game when compared to my long irons and driver.

On average I'm playing twice a week right now and on the range a few times as well. I'm confident that I am on track to break 100 before the season ends here (really just started scoring rounds a few weeks ago) which would be a great feat that would make me VERY happy. Already planning on spending the off-season working on the mental game as well as keeping sharp with putting at home and hitting a heated range at least once a week.
Proud to be a member of the 100 club and hope to have good things to report soon!

I am officially signing up for the club as well. My main issue seems to be the short game, I have zero confidence with my wedges and get nervous and tight just thinking about using them. I am hitting about a 105 right now on average so a little improvement should do the trick. I have read the THP reviews of the Niblicks and thought maybe they could help me regain some of the positive thoughts and outlook I need.

To cpbadger and ripper44: Pull up a chair and welcome to our little club. Hopefully your stay here will be short-lived.

It's comforting to know there are many other THP'ers and golfers in general, that are having the same issues that I am.

I feel better just knowing a thread like this even exists.

Thanks a lot Ken! How long have you been playing? I have been at it for about a year or so, started hitting about in the 130s, and now range between 105 and 112 or so.... I am able to play maybe 2 or 3 times a month on a course and try to take a lesson once a week if work permits.

Thanks a lot Ken! How long have you been playing? I have been at it for about a year or so, started hitting about in the 130s, and now range between 105 and 112 or so.... I am able to play maybe 2 or 3 times a month on a course and try to take a lesson once a week if work permits.

My progress has been pretty parallel to yours. I too started playing about a year ago, started sometime mid-August least year and have improved from playing in the 130s to currently in the low 100s (I did, however, shoot a 94 about a month ago on a shorter par 68 course).

Starting off late in the golf season, toward the end of last year, I set 2 goals for myself by the end of this season: Break 100 and get my first birdie. Almost there- came about 2" away from my first birdie last week. Next years goal: Stay below 100 regularly.

Glad to see some new blood in the thread although, like everyone else, I hope your stay here is short and sweet. Ken, I pretty much have the same goal as you and that's to break 100 before the end of the calendar year. I have some of those dreadful days and some glorious days as well. Happy ballstriking everyone and remember that it's all for fun.

I am going to throw my name in the pot here. I have been playing golf for, well, longer than I would like to admit. Let's just say I've been married 10 years, and, I've been playing longer than that. I have broken 100 once. I shot a 95 the weekend before my 30th birthday, 5 years ago. That was an odd day, as I didn't play anything other than half shots all day.

My biggest problem is that I can't find the fairway. My short game is actually the 2nd best part of my game, after my putting. My putting has kept me from many a 10, or more. For some reason, I can find the fairway, and then can't find a green to save my life. If I cant' find the fairway, then, it's painful the rest of the hole until i find the green.

I took lessons for 6 weeks that same year that i broke 100, but they were group beginner lessons at a range. They helped, I wouldn't say alot, but they did help a little. Unfortunately, I also now have 2 young children, and, between them and my wife's schedule, being opposite of mine, I barely have the time to play, let alone practice. I'm not really a lesson guy anyway, more of a figure it out on your own. I've had a few pros tell me I've built a pretty good homemade swing, I just need to practice more.

Thinking about getting my first training aid to see if that helps any. Looking at the tour Striker. I know one of my biggest problems with my irons is that I have a tendency to hit them fat. I have a flat swing, short dude here, and that can lead to many a thick shot, or, the skulls, which i have played entire rounds with. Glad to be here among kindred spirits, in hopes that I may glean a little something from someone that may just jumpstart my game.

So here's my story on trying to break 100.
Started swinging sticks again this past March after a 25 year absence due to other time consuming interests. Bought a cheapo set of Slazengers from Dick's, (they look like older Big Bertha's) and was playing in the 115-125 range. It didn't take more than 5 or 10 rounds to figure out 'ol 3 putt Condor here could slash some strokes off my game by improving my putting. Off to Dick's I went and after numerous visits trying out different putters settled on an Odyssey White Hot 2 ball SRT putter. Kissed about 10 strokes goodbye! Started playing 100-112! Broke 100 once with a 98 on a tight tough course.

So I said to myself, technology works, gotta go buy me better sticks all the way around.

Yesterday while reading the book "The Best Golf Tips Ever" by Nick Wright, page 32, Grip Club at a 45 degree angle (when addressing the ball) "Because your hands turn inward when your arms hang by your sides it's easier to grip the club correctly if you hold the club at a 45 degree angle to the right rather than straight in front of you". In other words, when you address the ball in front of your stance, place your stick on the ground at a 45 degree angle before you grip the club. Low and behold my hands were now aligned with both V's pointing to my right shoulder! Off to the driving range I went and I found that a 45-60 degree angle worked best for me and my shots were flying straighter and longer! While I was at it, I decided to find the "sweet spot" on these cheapo Irons and hello! The sweet spot was not directly centered in the iron face but rather 1/2" or so off center towards the toe! BAMM! Instant Distance! Yes Sir!

Can't wait to play another round now...maybe, just maybe, under 100.....

Cheers!

Good luck to the new additions.

I came close last week.A 105 but if I could have eliminated two blowup holes an 8 and a 9 along with a 6 on a par 3 I could have made it.Shucky darn.

Came back to reality with a 100 earlier this week. I am ok with it as my ball striking was good just my putter let me down. I was also very windy on the course that day. I decided to take this weekend off and rest up for the outing. FOur rounds of golf and 2 demo days are gonna work me out real good in Florida.

I haven't had time for 18 in quite a while now that the light is beginning to fade earlier and earlier. (sigh!)

But judging from my 9 hole scores I'm definitely on the right path. Had a miracle round of 43 for nine the other day with just 15 puts!

Finally broke 100

til I rechecked my scorecard on my golfshot app and realized I missed a par 3 that I got a 4 on lol and scored 102.I did sore a 91 once but couldn't finish the 18th hole due to darkness but with my luck I would have scored a 10 on a par 3

due to starting a new job and working ridiculous hours has left zero time for golf or much of anything else. Finally got out this weekend after about 2 weeks of not playing and shot yet another 100. Thats makes 5-6 this year. Worst score in golf as far as I'm concerned. If I would have made just one of those missed short putts :banghead:

due to starting a new job and working ridiculous hours has left zero time for golf or much of anything else. Finally got out this weekend after about 2 weeks of not playing and shot yet another 100. Thats makes 5-6 this year. Worst score in golf as far as I'm concerned. If I would have made just one of those missed short putts :banghead:

You have been MIA lately, good to see you back, 100 is better than the 109 I shot two weeks ago.

You have been MIA lately, good to see you back, 100 is better than the 109 I shot two weeks ago.
thanks. yeah been working 12-14 hour days...not much time for forum banter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back