Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
Mrs. Esox just brought home a MacBook for Junior Lancer. She needed a new computer as the crappy Toshiba she had was barely working. As she really likes making little movies/videos she had her heart set on a Mac. Since she's been working so hard on her game, and did so well in school last year, we decided to get her one. We got a $50 discount and a free iPod Touch since a teacher friend of Mrs. E's purchased it. We already have an iPod Touch so we'll sell that on Ebay and then the computer price is pretty reasonable. I hope it turns out to be everything she hopes it will be.

She's pretty excited to say the least. Me? I don't like apples. The skin gets in my teeth.

Kevin

Good luck! I'm a tried and true Windows user, I've used every version since Windows 3.1 and never really touched a Mac but I have to say they are very intriguing but I think I'd be completely lost on that thing!

Good luck! I'm a tried and true Windows user, I've used every version since Windows 3.1 and never really touched a Mac but I have to say they are very intriguing but I think I'd be completely lost on that thing!

I'd never switch, but she's 13, so I'm sure it will be a breeze.

Kevin

Im an idiot when it comes to computers which is why I stick with Macbooks. They are pretty simple.

My only wish was that I could use a Mac for work. Switched the home PC to a Mac a couple of years ago and it was the best thing I ever did (other than have my second kid).

congrats and welcome to the Mac family i love mine

I love my mac as well. Great Choice!

We have both and I use both. I prefer Macs for some things and PCs for other things. My Mac Mini barely made it 2 years and it is a dog at this point. So I just upgraded myself as well. Decided to go with a Macbook Pro 17" that we found a great deal on.

I have a PC and Mac Mini on my desk at work. I'm still used to PC more, but am getting used to Mac's.

We have an iMac, iPhones, and an iPod... have to get a Macbook at some point to fill out the family. :) Love our Mac, though. Very easy to use once you get used to the differences between OS# and Windows. I still use a PC at work, and I have VMWare Fushion to run Windows in parallel on the Mac so I can use both at once on the same screen if there is something I absolutely have to use that only runs on Windows (such as my office remote login software) but otherwise we stay on the Mac side 100% of the time. So clean and simple and useful.

also got to test an ipad for the last week at work. Cool device, but not an office laptop replacement. If I was traveling as much as I used to I would have killed for one.

as far as laptops go... macs rule

but when it comes to desktops... ill pick a pc everytime... cuz i love building them

the simplicity of the mac is incredible, as is the fact that they are viral proof but i have had some quality issues in the past. i'm sure that it's not the case with newer stuff, but i'll stick with my pc's. i mean, when you have one button that turns everything on and off and that button takes a dump, it's not a lot of fun. i find most mac stuff (laptops/ipods) to be very cool but they certainly haven't been built to last.

The wife and I just started looking at a replacement of our 4-5 year old Dell for her home business. I really wanted to switch to an iPad with a keyboard, but Apple's word processor for it is so lacking (among other "content creation" apps), it makes it impossible to justify use for a business. Neither of us are a fan of MacBooks, so most likely we will be buying another dell. I think the problem with us is the lack of motivation or time to learn a completely different operating system.

Apples are good for you, Mac Minis and big Macs are not...

as far as laptops go... macs rule

but when it comes to desktops... ill pick a pc everytime... cuz i love building them

Have you tried building a hackintosh, installing Mac OSX on an unsupported computer.?

I've played around a little with Ubuntu, the interface is pretty nice. Really easy to install too.

Have you tried building a hackintosh, installing Mac OSX on an unsupported computer.?

I've played around a little with Ubuntu, the interface is pretty nice. Really easy to install too.

yup ive done it
screwed around with ubuntu, red hat, etc etc and i really wish open source stuff exploded onto the mainstream... but lets face it... your avg joe has a tough time loggin into facebook let alone messing around with diff os's
but i am a hardware junkie... gimme teras and zetas baby! i cant wait

Don't know how I missed this post yesterday, I'm one of the biggest pro-mac guys you'll find around here. 
I'm going on my fourth year with my little 13 inch white MacBook, never had any problems whatsoever. I do graphic design, so I usually have Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign running all the time in addition to Firefox and iTunes, and whatever else I may be running at the time (often Excel, Word, Flash, Final Cut, etc.). Even with all that going on, she runs like a dream every time.
In addition, everything has gotten even smoother once I upgraded to Snow Leopard. I've yet to hear a convincing argument for Windows, at least in my field.
I'm confident you'll be very happy with this purchase.

Don't know how I missed this post yesterday, I'm one of the biggest pro-mac guys you'll find around here. 
I'm going on my fourth year with my little 13 inch white MacBook, never had any problems whatsoever. I do graphic design, so I usually have Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign running all the time in addition to Firefox and iTunes, and whatever else I may be running at the time (often Excel, Word, Flash, Final Cut, etc.). Even with all that going on, she runs like a dream every time.
In addition, everything has gotten even smoother once I upgraded to Snow Leopard. I've yet to hear a convincing argument for Windows, at least in my field.
I'm confident you'll be very happy with this purchase.

Here is one. I am running that same stuff and I get a constant spinning wheel of death. Had to leave my White Macbook because it was too slow and get a faster machine. Still too slow. Now Im upgrading to a MBP because they were all too slow and I hate that stupid spinning wheel.

Its funny, so many people always say "I use it for design and the graphic design side". The ironic part is every single person we have dealt with in the graphic design side of fashion or the golf business uses a PC.

On a PC never had an issue. Im still a Mac user for the most part (have both actually). But the Pro Mac crowd makes it hard.

Has anybody ever noticed that saying something negative about a Mac is like insulting someones mother? They get so defensive and up in arms. The Cupertino crew are marketing geniuses.

Here is one. I am running that same stuff and I get a constant spinning wheel of death. Had to leave my White Macbook because it was too slow and get a faster machine. Still too slow. Now Im upgrading to a MBP because they were all too slow and I hate that stupid spinning wheel.

Its funny, so many people always say "I use it for design and the graphic design side". The ironic part is every single person we have dealt with in the graphic design side of fashion or the golf business uses a PC.

On a PC never had an issue. Im still a Mac user for the most part (have both actually). But the Pro Mac crowd makes it hard.

Has anybody ever noticed that saying something negative about a Mac is like insulting someones mother? They get so defensive and up in arms. The Cupertino crew are marketing geniuses.
I guess I just got lucky? Idk, my wheel hardly ever spins...
And I completely agree about the marketing thing. As far as tech companies go, it doesn't get any better (the ads and such).

I guess I just got lucky? Idk, my wheel hardly ever spins...
And I completely agree about the marketing thing. As far as tech companies go, it doesn't get any better (the ads and such).

That is great that it is working for you. Anytime I work on magazine, or video, I get the spinning wheel with any other program running.

That is great that it is working for you. Anytime I work on magazine, or video, I get the spinning wheel with any other program running.
Well that completely sucks, since those things are kind of what they're supposed to be best at. :/

One question, JB - Are you running Snow Leopard? Everything got faster for me when I upgraded.

Back