What really grinds your gears

People who are standing there attending the flag, staring at me while I'm getting ready to hit a flop shot right at their face.....

Because you know.....I'm really so good that I won't accidentally blade this sucker from time to time....

Stupid smokers that drop their cigars and cigarette butts on the ground.
I don't begrudge your right to smoke so pick up your damn butts !!

sunflower seeds on the green.

Those that lack the ability to set a friggin cup! That is my ultimate flip out moment especially when it's a dead on 5 footer and it magically turns off line right in front of the cup...GRRRRR

You know, I have seen so much of this lately that I am beginning to think the courses just don't care.

hitting the absolute shot of your life... for triple bogey

I agree. I smoke (which is stupid) but I NEVER leave a butt on the course. I just place em on my push cart and drop em in the trash at the next tee.

Sunflower seeds. Now, I'm a seeder, but not on the course. There is nothing worse than having a trail of spat sunflower seeds on the green between your ball and the cup. Going along and picking them out of the way with your putter... COMMON!!!!

Sunflower seeds. Now, I'm a seeder, but not on the course. There is nothing worse than having a trail of spat sunflower seeds on the green between your ball and the cup. Going along and picking them out of the way with your putter... COMMON!!!!

Good point! I hate that soooo much. People should chew like I do, lol

no doubt and I wanna kill those a-holes who leave their butts on the greens!

i see wayyy more cigar butts than cigarette butts

people not shouting FORE!!

that oh so wonderful 20yrd teeshot on the first tee

The Golf Troll

The golf troll who places negative energy focused on your shot. A player who stares down your swing/putt. We are all human and can feel the vibe/energy, e.g like that stranger in public staring at you. Women have this radar ability also to protect themselves from harm.
Ok back to golf...a player stands in your peripheral view on putts at 10-11 o clock, or 5-7 o clock, also the back edge of the tee box in your peripheral space...just close enough to to be a presence and oozing attention to what your doing...not looking around at the other 359 degrees, your getting sweated in negativity. You know something wrong when you chip in a long one and their reaction is negative.

I thought golf was to uplift and wish well on a competitor, give them your graces of success, good luck sir, allow them much much space, give your fellow player his space and time (be it 10 seconds to execute).
Is standing on the tee box or edge of it is too close?, when your teeing on that side...IMO they need to back off...do you say something, and if you do its not received well.

This is the un-spoken mind thoughts of others trying to derail the game/bet/wager/nassau by underhanded thinking or negative projection to your game/stroke. They might even cart ride over to your shot slightly when their ball is on the other side of the FW further up.

Have you experienced this or feel it? ...or are guilty of doing such UN-sportsman like conduct?

Golf has a way of showing ones REAL personalities and how they handle things. Its a gentleman's game and it starts in the mind. (remember shells wonderful world of golf?)

How about a buddies rule made before the game/bet that all thoughts on a competitors play has to be positive...(ha like that's their MO to win....not).

Next round with some local hackers who bet and sweat each other to the hilt, I will suggest the bet can only happen if positive energy to the shot / play is put forth. I will report back on the play and 'if' even they want to play that way...lol

Last edited:
Golf is suppose to be fun, enjoyable, a recreation we spend valuable resources of time and money doing. So why not just focus on the good things about it? if I want to be miserable I could just stay at work and make more money from it instead of spending money on it or do chores at home and at least get the satisfaction of getting the needed tasks completed. I mean really, why spend time and money on something you like and then think of the bad things about it? Life is toooo short.

Golf is fun.

But I hate waiting shot after shot hole after hole.

People that talk but never listen, that grinds my gears.

Good listeners, and even more importantly, those that can process what they hear are worth their weight in gold.

Lots of things used to bother me on the golf course that don't anymore, I guess I've mellowed with age. The only thing that really bothers me is slow play but that is pretty much a thing of the past since joining a private club 6 years ago. Yesterday was one of the slowest rounds I've ever had at my home course and it was 3:55. My daughter and I spent time having a chipping contest on each tee box while we were waiting. A buddy joined us for the back nine and it was a very casual, pleasant day to be outside in the sunshine. 10 years ago I would have been annoyed.

Haha, I never usually say anything but it isn't completely like that.

I mainly play with one of my best friends who is just about the same playing ability as me if not better. If he is playing crappy and I'm playing well, it just doesn't feel like a completely good day. The ideal day of golf for me would be both of us shooting really well, then we can both reflect on it. It doesn't seem as fun if you shoot 75 and your buddy can't even hit a ball that day.

I shot 75 yesterday and the 3 guys I was playing with shot in the 90's. Didn't bother me a bit. Still had a great time! It's not about score ... even if one is hitting the ball well and the others are just hacking it up.

But .... there are still some things that "grind my gears" (in no particular order)

1. The guy that duffs it two or three times on a par 5 off the tee box ... but then waits to attempt to hit the green from 250+ out after it took him 3 to get to that point. With that 1/100 off chance that he just might finally catch one. Why can't you just take something a little less and try to get it airborne first. Maybe inside the 150 on your fourth shot.
2. Etiquette ... in more ways than one
3. Unsolicited advice ... I myself will not give advice unless someone asks for it. I would expect the same.
4. Radios on the course ... if I wanted to listen to the radio at 10 decibels I would have stayed home in the Man Cave. I don't want to hear it in my group or from anywhere on the course. If it's so loud that I can hear you from 3 holes away, then we have a problem.
5. People playing from the wrong sets of tees .... there is a reason most courses are set up with multiple sets of tee markers, play to your ability and be honest with yourself for everyone's sake. In the essence of speeding up play, don't play the "back" tees just because you paid your green fee and you want to see the entire course. Especially if there are a lot of forced carries and you are barely making it across some of them to the fairway or you are constantly hitting long irons or fairway woods into Par 4's. Do us all a favor ... move up 1 or maybe even 2 sets of tees. It will be a lot more fun ... believe me.

These are just a few, my top 5 ... but I digress.

Good listeners, and even more importantly, those that can process what they hear are worth their weight in gold.

What?, where, whats going on?, who?, when?, whos talking, what happened?, did I miss something?, whats Today?, is it raining?, when did that get here?, I'm hungry, did you se that?, when is Sunday?, its too hot out, I'm thirsty, will you look at that, who's there?, what happened?.......:D

As has been said before in this thread, but in no particular order: Sunflower seeds on greens, people playing from the wrong tees, people not understanding how to use a golf cart properly, people who use golf as an excuse for a drinking problem, foot draggers on greens, and a special place in hell for those who don't fix pitch marks on greens.

and a special place in hell for those who don't fix pitch marks on greens.

This is funny. Just a million thought about what could be mentioned about a special place in hell.
perhaps he can stand next to Tom brady while the hell population throws hard and "over" inflated footballs and rock hard golf balls at them for eternity.

1) Rangers who don't do their jobs. Specifically:

a) Rangers who let their buddies get away with anything. My son and I referred to one course we used to play as "the home of the 5.5 hour round."

b) Rangers who tell you you can't buy a bottle of Arnold Palmer at the turn because his buddies behind you had to wait to shoot on the front. Despite the fact that you played the front in 2:10, you had to wait almost every shot as well, and the tenth tee is backed up..

2) People who lose it seven times in nine holes. Their tempers, not their golf balls.

Those really frost my buns. Having said that, 99% of the strangers I've met on the golf course are great people.

The old racist golfers I've been paired up with. There is one course I won't play at any more because of the stuff said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back