Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Phil Mickelson

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Lee Westwood

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 15 33.3%

• Total voters
It was a joke for him acting the way he did 2 weeks ago.

Not a more consistent player huh? what about Ernie? both have 6 top 10s and 10 top 25 finishes BUT Ernie has a win to jeff's no win, id say ernie is ahead there.

We could argue semantics but Ernie didn't have a 63 and 59 fired on him in final rounds either.

Tiger had 6 wins last year and none so far this year. Phil won 3 times last year and only 1 so far this year. So over the same time period Tiger has 6 with Phil having 4. How is Phil the clear number 1? Yes Tiger is playing like crap the last few weeks. I don't say all year because 4th spot in two majors isn't playing like crap. It's funny how short of a memory some people seem to have, you would think Tiger had been washed up for years now instead of 4 months.

ya but when your classified as a world number 1 your expected to win at least once before August..

What about mid-august for a major win?

*Shameful sarcastic post in hopes tiger makes an exciting run at the PGA*
ya but when your classified as a world number 1 your expected to win at least once before August..

Really? So you throw out everything that was done before? So thats our criteria for world number 1, you must win before August? Sounds a touch flaky to me.

I voted Phil. wish he would grab it and run with it but it is what it is. thank you ddec for doing the research

I was just briefly looking over some quick numbers from Tiger,Phil, Westwood for the last 18 months. These include the 09 and 10 majors

Tiger - 6 wins, 0 majors. Major Finishes. Masters T6, T4 US OPEN T6,T4 Open Championship MC, T23 PGA Champ 2 (Won FedEx Cup)

Phil - 4 wins, 1 Major. Major Finishes Masters 5, 1 US OPEN T2, T4 Open Championship DNP, T48, PGA 73

Lee - 3 wins(2 on Euro Tour) Major Finishes Masters 43, 2 US OPEN 23, T16 Open Championship T3, 2 PGA Champ T3

the 1 Major for Phil Stands out. Tiger has had a top 10 in 5 of the 7 Majors in that span, Mick with 4, and Lee with 4 as well.

We could argue semantics but Ernie didn't have a 63 and 59 fired on him in final rounds either.

I never said i didnt like the dude, just dont agree with his attitude, and dont see him quite being a top guy right now. But its just my opinion.

Really? So you throw out everything that was done before? So thats our criteria for world number 1, you must win before August? Sounds a touch flaky to me.

Chill out man!

I think its pretty clear that if your a world number one you need to atleast win and contend in more than just 2 tournaments.

What about mid-august for a major win?

*Shameful sarcastic post in hopes tiger makes an exciting run at the PGA*

I hope he does good, im ready to see him play good golf again, but no way is he a world number 1 right now. If he was to win that major i still dont think he is the world number one until he proves he can consistently play each week.

Chill out man!

I think its pretty clear that if your a world number one you need to atleast win and contend in more than just 2 tournaments.

If the world ranking only took into account what you have done in the current year I would agree but it doesn't. It goes by the previous 18 months. I agree that Tiger deserves to lose the number 1 spot, I just don't get the idea as to why Phil is the CLEAR number 1. I'd say they are equally deserving of it right now at best.

I hope he does good, im ready to see him play good golf again, but no way is he a world number 1 right now. If he was to win that major i still dont think he is the world number one until he proves he can consistently play each week.

You may want to go back and check all of the past world number 1's. There have only been a handfull that were truly dominant and none near as much as Tiger and Jack.

I never said phil was a clear number 1, not at all. In fact i did not even vote because i really dont know who to vote for, id almost say Els, but then there is phil, westwood, stricker, and many others, just no clear number 1 to me right now. And its a shame.

You may want to go back and check all of the past world number 1's. There have only been a handfull that were truly dominant and none near as much as Tiger and Jack.

ok im not sure I understand what we are arguing about? I just said i think if your a number one 1 you should atleast win once in a year and be consistent. Thats all, nothing about dominating week in and week out, just consistent and a couple of wins in a year.

I never said phil was a clear number 1, not at all. In fact i did not even vote because i really dont know who to vote for, id almost say Els, but then there is phil, westwood, stricker, and many others, just no clear number 1 to me right now. And its a shame.

But see, that's normal. We have been spoiled by Tiger. The years before Tiger it was like it is now. Heck with the record Phil has right now the past two years nobody else would have been close to him in the standings. What we have right now is exactly what some in the tour fear. When Tiger is done the fun of dominance will be gone. If Tiger is truly washed up we won't have a clear and dominant number 1, it will bounce around back and forth and I hate to see it come.

agree 100%

ok im not sure I understand what we are arguing about? I just said i think if your a number one 1 you should atleast win once in a year and be consistent. Thats all, nothing about dominating week in and week out, just consistent and a couple of wins in a year.

Who said it was an argument?

But see, that's normal. We have been spoiled by Tiger. The years before Tiger it was like it is now. Heck with the record Phil has right now the past two years nobody else would have been close to him in the standings. What we have right now is exactly what some in the tour fear. When Tiger is done the fun of dominance will be gone. If Tiger is truly washed up we won't have a clear and dominant number 1, it will bounce around back and forth and I hate to see it come.

There is no way Tiger is washed up, not right now, no way in hell. I'm not even the biggest Tiger fan in the world, I can appreciate what he does on the course but I couldn't call myself a Tiger fanatic by any means. There is just no possible way he's washed up, he has way too much talent, determination, focus, you name it to be washed up.

I agree with the no clear number 1 opinions that have been offered. The ranking system is what it is and I guess the ranking system itself isn’t really the question here.

I also agree that nobody including Phil has really taken the bull by the horns and even made a serious run at it let alone taken the number 1 ranking away. I am not sure that Westwood will ever make it to world number 1. He just does not seem to have enough game around the greens to get it done and I just don’t see him improving much in that regard. He seems so stiff and uncomfortable around the greens at least in my opinion. Phil…….maybe he will get it done but this is a tough time for him to have the kind of focus it takes.

Other would be the choice for now and I guess I would not be surprised if Strick were to emerge as world number 1. However I would not expect Strick to be a dominant world number 1 if he got there.

Even team sports benefit when there is a clear, dominant number 1. Surely Tour Golf has enjoyed a real period of financial prosperity while Tiger has been as dominant as he has been. I even wonder how well Tour Golf would have done without Tiger. I have often heard commentators and Golf journalists muse that Tiger has been responsible for a quantum leap in the fortunes of all of the touring players and that does make me wonder what kind of shape Tour Professional Golf would be in had the Tiger phenomenon not happened. Also makes me wonder what will happen in this day and age if there is no dominant player to draw attention to the game.

Tiger had 6 wins last year and none so far this year. Phil won 3 times last year and only 1 so far this year. So over the same time period Tiger has 6 with Phil having 4. How is Phil the clear number 1? Yes Tiger is playing like crap the last few weeks. I don't say all year because 4th spot in two majors isn't playing like crap. It's funny how short of a memory some people seem to have, you would think Tiger had been washed up for years now instead of 4 months.

People expect their number 1 to play well and win in a calendar year. TW CHOSE to take time off, play very few events and has not won. Phil has won during that time and it was a Major. He has also played in more events and performed in more events. As for being washed up for just 4 months. Its August, not April. Its not the rest of the tours fault that he got caught in the lies he did and hung it up for the first four.

There is no way Tiger is washed up, not right now, no way in hell. I'm not even the biggest Tiger fan in the world, I can appreciate what he does on the course but I couldn't call myself a Tiger fanatic by any means. There is just no possible way he's washed up, he has way too much talent, determination, focus, you name it to be washed up.

I agree. I have said it before, he will be back. Lets not forget that this is not a guy that got injured or had surgery and there was a chance his body was not going to perform. He got caught cheating and lying and his wife left him. Sure its a pain to deal with and hard on the head and heart, but he will be fine.

Back