WGC - Bridgestone Invitational [spoilers]

It's considered an obstruction from what the announcer said but I don't get why he was allowed a free drop all the way back to the grass.

If I recall correctly, an unplayable lie does not warrant a penalty stroke. He didn't hit it OB, just into an unplayable lie. Therefore, he gets to drop in the designated drop zone without any penalty. That's my understanding at least.

It does involve a penalty stroke. Here's the rule:
if you find your ball outside of a hazard, but cannot play it, add 1 penalty stroke and either a) go back to where you originally hit the ball, b) drop the ball within 2 club lengths of where your ball lies no nearer the hole, or c) drop the ball any distance along a straight line from the hole and the point of the unplayable lie, no closer to the hole.

It does involve a penalty stroke. Here's the rule:
if you find your ball outside of a hazard, but cannot play it, add 1 penalty stroke and either a) go back to where you originally hit the ball, b) drop the ball within 2 club lengths of where your ball lies no nearer the hole, or c) drop the ball any distance along a straight line from the hole and the point of the unplayable lie, no closer to the hole.

Well I'll be danged. At least you learn something new every day! As far as why he got to move it out then, I have no idea.

It's considered an obstruction from what the announcer said but I don't get why he was allowed a free drop all the way back to the grass.

If they meant an obstruction from the stands that were in front of him, I guess I can understand that. However, when he took his drop, he had a straight line from where his ball was to the hole without being obstructed by the stands, which was pretty nice for him.

24-2. Immovable Obstruction
• a. Interference
Interference by an immovable obstruction occurs when a ball lies in or on the obstruction, or when the obstruction interferes with the player’s stance or the area of his intended swing. If the player’s ball lies on the putting green, interference also occurs if an immovable obstruction on the putting green intervenes on his line of putt. Otherwise, intervention on the line of play is not, of itself, interference under this Rule.

• b. Relief
Except when the ball is in a water hazard or a lateral water hazard, a player may take relief from interference by an immovable obstruction as follows:

(i) Through the Green: If the ball lies through the green, the player must lift the ball and drop it without penalty within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. The nearest point of relief must not be in a hazard or on a putting green. When the ball is dropped within one club-length of the nearest point of relief, the ball must first strike a part of the course at a spot that avoids interference by the immovable obstruction and is not in a hazard and not on a putting green.
(ii) In a Bunker: If the ball is in a bunker, the player must lift the ball and drop it either:
(a) Without penalty, in accordance with Clause (i) above, except that the nearest point of relief must be in the bunker and the ball must be dropped in the bunker; or
(b) Under penalty of one stroke, outside the bunker keeping the point where the ball lay directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the bunker the ball may be dropped.
(iii) On the Putting Green: If the ball lies on the putting green, the player must lift the ball and place it without penalty at the nearest point of relief that is not in a hazard. The nearest point of relief may be off the putting green.
(iv) On the Teeing Ground: If the ball lies on the teeing ground, the player must lift the ball and drop it without penalty in accordance with Clause (i) above.

The rose bed was considered the immovable obstruction.

The rose bed was considered the immovable obstruction.

See, that's where I have the problem. I just think it's kind of weird that a plant was deemed an immovable obstruction. When I play, my ball goes into a bush and it's either lost or an unplayable lie, I don't consider it an immovable obstruction. I don't see the big difference.

Maybe I'm just jealous of Mahan. He's got a swing I would kill to have, he's probably going to win this tournament, and he's engaged to a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader! Here's an article about that (wasn't sure if I could post her picture on this thread): http://dudewheresmypar.tumblr.com/post/421915644/like-taking-kandi-from-a-baby

It wasn't the bush, it was the bed. I agree that golf has some goofy rules.

They just showed the highlight of Kenny Perry's shot that just dropped right into the cup. What an awesome shot I could watch that replay over and over again.

They just showed the highlight of Kenny Perry's shot that just dropped right into the cup. What an awesome shot I could watch that replay over and over again.

That was definately amazing. Play that side by side with Furyks!

Congrats to my boy Hunter Mahan (guy in my avatar!)....a great win for a great player!! He has to be on the short list for contenders next week at Whistling Straits!

It's a great win for Mahan today. Ten bucks though says he's not even in the top 20 next week.

Congrats to my boy Hunter Mahan (guy in my avatar!)....a great win for a great player!! He has to be on the short list for contenders next week at Whistling Straits!

Unfortunately for him the record for people who win the week BEFORE a major is pretty poor.

Tell you what, I'll buy you a beer if he is and if he's not you owe me one!

Tell you what, I'll buy you a beer if he is and if he's not you owe me one!

Twist my arm....fine I'll bet you beers instead! I'm thinking winning next week would be tough for him to pull off, but top 20 is looking pretty solid. He has a good game for Whistling Straits.

Congrats Hunter Mahan! Once again he came from behind to win. Alot of great golf this weekend and some horrific golf as well. I can't wait to see how the PGA turns out.

Someone needs to tell Mahan he looks like a total tool with those sunglasses on. Otherwise good win.

nice win Hunter!

Someone needs to tell Mahan he looks like a total tool with those sunglasses on. Otherwise good win.

I love those sunglasses, great win Mahan, way to go out and take it(are you listening Phil?)

Early PGA prediction Tiger makes the cut on the number and fades on the weekend, AK wins out of nowhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be very interested in the pga this year because number 1 is at stake, the whole Ryder Cup situation(congrats Hunter for clinching you way on the team), and how will Tiger play. Plus its glory's last shot

I am super fired up for this PGA for a change, since I played the championship tees back in may and DAYUMMMM, tough mother trucker of a layout from there. I'm a 0.7 hdcp and was even par with two birdies after 6, then the wind got up and I finished in 86, and really didn't play bad, the layout forces you to maneuver almost every tee shot and approach one way or the other, one final thought on it......DIABOLICAL

way to go hunter!!!! i also love your car collection bro!

The Associated Press article about the end of the tournament had this blurb about Mahan on the 16th hole after hitting it into the flowers:
"That's where he went, over the bleachers, over everything, and into a flower bed. Because it was deemed to be part of the cement cart path complex, he was given a free drop in the walkway to the 17th tee. He played it safe, chipping through the green and into the fairway, then putted to 3 feet to save par."

I still think it's a bit fishy that the flowers were deemed part of the cart path complex, but oh well, that makes a little more sense than the flowers being an obstruction.

Back