Parent-Child Golf

.... I need to get him to relax and not get down on himself after a bad shot.

That is my constant struggle. If you think your son gets down after a bad shot. You should see a soon to be 13 girl. Aye Carumba! She's a seething bundle of emotions.

Kevin

Boo Girl and I had our parent-child clinic yesterday. It went great. She had been complaining that Coach Bill didn't teach her anything new, and that she wanted to be given something specific to work on. So he had her focus on her pre-shot routine and on reading breaks on greens. Boo Girl took to it right away; she liked the attention and having a goal. Went really well.

Too bad it's the last clinic for the season.

Claire, you should like, start your own clinic! That would be cool.

Had a nice little session at the local range today with my pumpkin pie. She hasn't had time to practice or play much over the last two to three weeks, and has been getting frustrated very quickly this Spring if things don't go her way. She has been swinging fairly diligently through her driveway markers to cure her inside takeaway. Today the sun was shining, though she was hitting into a stiff breeze. I didn't crowd her, just relaxed on a bench behind her to adjust her alignment and make a few suggestions. All in all she swung the club just beautifully. She was hitting most shots seriously, but also was relaxed and goofing around a bit. For the most part she stayed on plane. Her poorer shots were generally pull hooks, and though she wasn't drastically taking the club back inside on those shots, she did to some extent. I noticed on these shots that she initiates her takeaway by bending/twitching her right elbow just a tiny bit, so her swing gets disconnected. While she's not way inside, the club is still not on plane. I tried to tell her to keep that elbow "tucked in", but she started getting frustrated. I asked her to calm down and talk to me.

Turns out she doesn't always understand exactly what I mean on occasion. Imagine that! I wasn't communicating very well. She sat down on the bench and we talked about communicating for a couple minutes. We agreed I'm a little impatient, and she gets upset too easily.

She then understood that she was bending that elbow to start the swing instead of waiting until it bends naturally during the swing. Bingo!

She stroked four of the nicest iron shots I've seen her hit right in a row. Beautiful high draws right into the wind that were easily going 130 to 140 yards. After that, almost every shot she hit where she didn't do that little hitch was a beauty. She was even hitting some nice 4i's. I can barely hit a 4i. We shot a little video so she'll be able to see it. We've yet to watch it, but we will.

When we got home we had a little talk. I think she's been a little nervous because summer tournaments will be coming up quickly. She and Mrs. Esox were looking through the different junior tournament schedules. She has some trepidation because she did not play well in the two bigger 18 hole events she played in last year. So we talked about how she is not even close to the same little kid who played those events. She's bigger, stronger, putts much better, and hits her driver with great consistency. I told her those four 6i's she hit today were shots she simply did not, and in reality, could not hit last year. I think she's starting to believe.

She enjoyed herself today. She was relaxed and not pressing and had a good time on the range. More importantly I was relaxed. I like to to think I don't push her, yet there's a fine line between encouragement and being overbearing. I'm flying by the seat of my pants, trying to not be one of those dads. I don't ever expect her to be a professional golfer, but I would love to have her be at least a very good good high school golfer, because it's fun to be good at something when you're a kid, and it makes being good at something as an adult easier. I probably don't come off the right way in many instances, but she and I are growing together in this little adventure. We both learned a thing or two today.

It was pretty sweet.

Kevin

way to go JL and good for you proud poppa!

She enjoyed herself today. She was relaxed and not pressing and had a good time on the range. More importantly I was relaxed. I like to to think I don't push her, yet there's a fine line between encouragement and being overbearing. I'm flying by the seat of my pants, trying to not be one of those dads. I don't ever expect her to be a professional golfer, but I would love to have her be at least a very good good high school golfer, because it's fun to be good at something when you're a kid, and it makes being good at something as an adult easier. I probably don't come off the right way in many instances, but she and I are growing together in this little adventure. We both learned a thing or two today.

Kevin

Welcome to the tightrope! We want so hard for our kids to want it. You want them motivated, but you're afraid if you let them lead, you'll get the consummate couch potato. Let me know when you've got it figured out.

have this on another thread, figured I'd move it over here as well.

"yes we did! and we had a great time! he actually did much better then I thought he would for his first time out. (me=proud poppa!) we split a bucket of about 75 balls and I would say he hit about 10-15 pretty nice shots. (50-70 yards) was so neat to hear him say look at how far that one went dad! was also very cool when he would say wow dad you hit that one a mile! I was very patient and he actually listened very well. We are gonna have so much fun this summer."

Last edited:
Make mini competittons with you and your child on the practice green. I always look forward to that when me and my dad go play golf. I also took pleasure in beating him by 5 strokes in our 9 hole putting competition today

It make me happy to see parents that get their kids into golf. Or any adult for that matter. A family friend got me into when i was about 10. My parents dont understand why I love it so much. When they ask why I am practicing at 9 at night in our unlit lawn, I just think, Why not? Best game there is. A non golfer just dosnt get it.

Went to a family reunion this weekend and they had a nice executive course at the resort. I decided it would be a good opportunity to have my 8-year old experience what playing on a real course is like. We only made it through 6 holes before we had to make it to a family breakfast, but she had a blast ... and managed to see 5 woodchucks and 9 rabbits in those 6 holes (and Dad was only +2 after 6 ... grrr).

CIMG0524.jpg

Great news, Grogger!

very cool grooger! junior Sunday and I are hitting thr range again on Thursday! :banana:

At what are should i get my son into golf?, hes 2 but already like to attempt to swing a club

my son and I are going to the range tommorow to try out my new Diablo Edge, well I am he has awhile before I;ll let him borrow it!

hey edwards not sure what the right age is, but my son is 8y and we just started and he loves it. more man time with dad!

At what are should i get my son into golf?, hes 2 but already like to attempt to swing a club

Whenever he shows genuine interest in the game.
I would wait till he is a little older, so you can instill on-course discipline and such.

Junior Lancer had something golf related going on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Last night she and her mother were looking at the State PGA site at the junior tournaments and noticed there was a "Futures Tour" event about an hour from us. This one happened to be conveniently located in close proximity to an outlet mall. The "Futures Tour" events are generally nine hole par three events. She decided to go and play as a walk-up. And then go shopping with her Mom. She was just the third girl in the 12-13 age group, and there were three others 11 and under. There were also 28 boys up to 14 years old.

She shot a three over 30 and won the girls side of the bracket by three shots. She hit 8 greens in regulation and just missed one other. Bogeyed that and three putted two others. Also lipped out three birdies. "Daddy, I think I could have shot 26!" She beat 27 of the 28 boys. I didn't go, but apparently there was a lot of water and bunkers on this course and the greens were fast and rolling. Not one shot found a hazard. She won a plaque and was quite the chatterbox at dinner. And they didn't even go shopping after the round and spend any money!

Perfect little confidence builder for the two full size 18 holers she has coming up next week. Practice rounds tomorrow and Sunday at those venues.

I think I'm more excited than she is. LOL.

Kevin

Congratulations Junior Lancer!

Junior Lancer had something golf related going on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Last night she and her mother were looking at the State PGA site at the junior tournaments and noticed there was a "Futures Tour" event about an hour from us. This one happened to be conveniently located in close proximity to an outlet mall. The "Futures Tour" events are generally nine hole par three events. She decided to go and play as a walk-up. And then go shopping with her Mom. She was just the third girl in the 12-13 age group, and there were three others 11 and under. There were also 28 boys up to 14 years old.

She shot a three over 30 and won the girls side of the bracket by three shots. She hit 8 greens in regulation and just missed one other. Bogeyed that and three putted two others. Also lipped out three birdies. "Daddy, I think I could have shot 26!" She beat 27 of the 28 boys. I didn't go, but apparently there was a lot of water and bunkers on this course and the greens were fast and rolling. Not one shot found a hazard. She won a plaque and was quite the chatterbox at dinner. And they didn't even go shopping after the round and spend any money!

Perfect little confidence builder for the two full size 18 holers she has coming up next week. Practice rounds tomorrow and Sunday at those venues.

Kevin

That is FREAKING AWESOME! I honestly am chearing in my head for her ( I would get up and cheer, but my get stares).

Kevin

Wow. What an awesome round for JL. Congrats to her and to you Esox. All of her had work is really paying off.

that is so awesome Kevin, you must be so proud of her! now I know why you said you had a cool kid in the happy happy joy thread!

congrats JL! :clapp:

Kevin

That's some nice shooting! It sounds like those drills over the cold months are paying off.

Congrats Esox! JL is doing great! Soon enough, she'll be giving you strokes in your family outings!

Junior Lancer and I are off to the club for a serious Father's Day practice session. Lots of chipping and putting, and some ball striking. Three or four hours in preparation of tomorrow's 18 hole event. She shot a 95 in a practice round yesterday and left about four strokes out there on three quirky holes that tomorrow she will know how I to play differently. Left a couple more on the greens, and a couple from lazy short game swings. We were going to go and play a practice round at Thursday's venue, but she decided she would rather practice. I'm proud of her for that.

Can't ask for a better way to spend Father's Day.

I'll be back to watch the leaders play Pebble.

Kevin

Man, a lot of these threads are making me wish I picked up golf when I was younger... especially when I was done baseball. I'm 19 now and I only started playing around 14 on a few 9 hole courses. I actually like playing by myself, but I usually play with my dad. We both suck with our horribly slicing baseball swings, but it's fun nonetheless. Like I told my dad, if I'm making good money once I'm done with college, I'd probably try to introduce my child into golf as their first sport even though I love baseball.

Back