SethO

IXOYE
Reaction score
I got dehydrated on the course today. Is there anything special that you guys do to keep this from hapening?

The best thing you can do to keep from getting dehydrated is to drink plenty of water before you tee off. You should need to use the restroom in the clubhouse before you even hit #1... if its warm enough then you shouldn't even need to use a bathroom the rest of the round, you'll be lucky to maintain even water in the heat.

Also, don't drink entirely water. For every 2 bottles of water you drink you need to drink one of gatorade or the like. You need to replenish the sodium/potassium you loose in all the sweat- otherwise you can do more harm than good by continuing to drink plain water.

I got dehydrated on the course today. Is there anything special that you guys do to keep this from hapening?

Keep flavored water packets in my bag so that I can fill up just a cup with water if I need to and get my electrolytes. I would hate to get dizzy and hit one off a launch monitor...HAHA

i hate to sound stupid, but try to stay hydrated. make sure you have enough water for your front 9 and get more at the turn. beer doesn't help at all

Keep drinking water Seth. One ounce for every two pounds of weight a day is a good start. More if it's hot and you're sweating a lot. Don't wait to drink until you need it, keep drinking throughout the day.

No booze. I always have a 44 oz water or iced tea in my cart. Of course i ride, that would be tough to carry while walking. I get ice from the beer cart girls. I drink a ton of water on the golf course. I sweat a lot because I'm a big husky fellow.

Kevin

It amazes me just how health conscious people are today. I'm not and know I should be, but I really applaud all you guy's who really understand whats at stake and do it. About the only thing I do is use sun screen, but then I get my cooler filled with beer and head out there, lol.

I think hydrating the day before and the morning of is just as important as during the round. I usually chug water during the whole round even if im not thirsty and I chug a gatorade at the turn.

i keep a 24 oz bottle on me (i walk with my bag on my back in 95+ weather) and drink 48-72 oz per 9 holes

I bring 2-1 liter bottles of water and 2 poweraide bottles with me to the course.Plus, I bring a sandwich with me.I nibble on the sandwich starting on the 4th hole and finish it by the 16th.Must have plenty of water and something to eat to play.

The worst thing I've found is to get a hot dog at the turn,I always feel sluggish if I do that.

Thanks for the reply guys. I actually laid down on the fairway on the way back while my friend took his shot. I have never ever been so dehydrated. I was drinking some water, but not nearly enough. It was a little scary.

Just glad you are okay setho. I am a big believer in supporting courses via their restaurants and drink girls. Just my opinion, but I dont usually bring my own stuff. To me it is no different than range balls or anything else. But rant over, I am glad you are feeling better.

I just get those Tilt energy drinks and Jooose. That way you get your electrolytes in and beer at the same time. Win win situation. It has taken the place of the Stoli and carrot juice I used to bring to the course to help me see my shots better.

Just glad you are okay setho. I am a big believer in supporting courses via their restaurants and drink girls. Just my opinion, but I dont usually bring my own stuff. To me it is no different than range balls or anything else. But rant over, I am glad you are feeling better.

Thanks JB. My course is a state park course and it doesn't has as many ammenities as some others. I buy my fair share of stuff from them and support their vending machines on the course and their little sandwich/hotdog offerings. I also take lessons from the pro at the course. If they stocked Diet Mt Dew, I would make them rich, but now I am going to buy my Disani from them and use the flavor packs.

Thanks JB. My course is a state park course and it doesn't has as many ammenities as some others. I buy my fair share of stuff from them and support their vending machines on the course and their little sandwich/hotdog offerings. I also take lessons from the pro at the course. If they stocked Diet Mt Dew, I would make them rich, but now I am going to buy my Disani from them and use the flavor packs.

That is exactly what I do. My course does not sell what I like to drink, so I buy my bottles of water from them and use my flavor packets. The water costs the same as their powerade, and I get the flavor I like.

I have yet to play a golf course that carries unsweetened iced tea in their drink carts. What up wit dat?

Kevin

I have yet to play a golf course that carries unsweetened iced tea in their drink carts. What up wit dat?

Kevin

Preecch on Kevin. From one unsweetend man to another. You can get them before the round at the bar at the course I play but its in a 16oz cup. I need at least 32 ounces to be happy.

Nine years at my last club. Every year I would ask. Every year they said they would get some for the carts. They never did. They don't have it in the bar at the new place. I buy plenty of crap there. If they can't have iced tea I bring my Speedway 44 oz cup and have the cart girls replenish the ice. I tip them every time. I buy their water bottles and I usually buy a round for my playing partners. Mrs. Esox and J.L. eat and drink stuff.

If I feel like drinking unsweetened tea, I'm brining a couple. It's very quenching.

Kevin

esox, your passion for your tea is inspiring! i want some now, dammit!

I think hydrating the day before and the morning of is just as important as during the round. I usually chug water during the whole round even if im not thirsty and I chug a gatorade at the turn.

Definitely. I follow the one ounce to two pounds routine every day. Well, almost every day.

I have to agree with what RXGus said hydrate before the round! You mentioned that you had to lay down and were dizzy, that is really not good. Please next time that happens call it a day and get inside the clubhouse, cool down for awhile, and drink water till you force yourself to go to the restroom. Dehydration to the point that you were at is the last step before way more serious issues. I am glad to hear that you are ok!

The best thing you can do to keep from getting dehydrated is to drink plenty of water before you tee off. You should need to use the restroom in the clubhouse before you even hit #1... if its warm enough then you shouldn't even need to use a bathroom the rest of the round, you'll be lucky to maintain even water in the heat.

Also, don't drink entirely water. For every 2 bottles of water you drink you need to drink one of gatorade or the like. You need to replenish the sodium/potassium you loose in all the sweat- otherwise you can do more harm than good by continuing to drink plain water.

I agree with this but diasgree about the Gatorade/Powerade type drinks. They have a lot of sugar and carbs, and IMO if you keep hydrated in the first place you aren't going to lose enough sodium/potassium in a round of golf for that to be an issue. If you were doing hard exercise maybe, but not golfing, especially if you take a cart. Again, just my opinion.

I agree with this but diasgree about the Gatorade/Powerade type drinks. They have a lot of sugar and carbs, and IMO if you keep hydrated in the first place you aren't going to lose enough sodium/potassium in a round of golf for that to be an issue. If you were doing hard exercise maybe, but not golfing, especially if you take a cart. Again, just my opinion.

I'll just counter that and say that that I see a lot of people in my Emergency room who work out and drink only water and not gatorade. Sometimes their sodium (and when it is really scary, their potassium) is very very low. When you drink to much "free water" you body produces urine which contains sodium and potassium and you end up loosing both through sweat and through the urine you produce.

I agree with you that you shouldn't loose that much during a round of golf, but if you are carrying in very hot conditions it is quite possible... hence my 2 bottle to 1 bottle rule. If I have finished 2 bottles of water by the turn (which happens on a semi-regular basis) then I make my third bottle an electrolyte replacing beverage. Otherwise I think you are fine to just drink water as long as you eat a meal sometime later that evening to replace your electrolytes

When you start to see problems is when people get 3-4 L of water (3-4 large bottles) without any electrolytes. At that point, the sugars and the carbs are pretty insignificant when you weigh it against the benefit of replacing some of your lytes. Things in the ER get pretty nasty when you are really dehydrated and continue to drink plain water.

Glad to hear you are ok Seth. I carry water, buy gatorade from the cart girl and on really hot days I drop a wet towel in the cooler on my bag to use every couple of holes. You can also just get a plastic bag with ice from the clubhouse at the start and drop a wet towel inside and just set the bag in the back of the cart. That helped me on some really hot days. Just take the towel off and place it on your neck for a bit between holes. It does wonders.

SMG

Back