anyone else a runner on here?

I did 16.5 miles over the weekend (with about 2700 feet of elevation gain)

training for the next marathon!!!!

I typically do late night "body-weight" excercises. No weights, no stretch-bands; nothing but my own body to provide the resistance. Obviously this includes a lot of push-up type excercies and numerous stretches. I used to do a significant amount of cardio in my younger days (NCAA soccer through college), but these days I am a bit more lazy and hardly ever leave the comfort of my home for my excercise routines.

We are in the process of relocating a bunch of our office employees offsite & once they have vacated the premises our company president has stated we could install gym equipment. So today we were looking on craiglist & found some killer weight lifting gear owned by a Golds gym employee. Used the truck & my enclosed trailer to pick it all up. Almost 900 lbs worth of dumbbells, 370 lbs in free weights, etc.

Here is a list of the stuff we got & I think for the $2500 it was well worth it. We will be picking up a nice ellipitcal as well as stationary bike too. One of the guys wants a heavy bag & those can be picked up dirt cheap. No more going to Anytime Fitness. Hell I might even unload all the gear I have here at home now.

All free weights are Hoist

- Plate Tree
- Plates:
45's x 4
35's x 2
25's x 2
10's x 4
5's x 6
- Standard 45# Olympic Bar
- Standard 35# Cambered Bar
- 2 Sets of bar clamps
- 3 Tier Dumbbell Rack
- Dumbbells
10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90#
- Multi purpose Squat Rack / Bench Press or Shoulder Press Station
- Multi angle Bench (Flat/Incline/Decline) with slot for attachments
- Attachments:
Preacher Curl
Leg Curl
Leg Extension
- Foldup Incline/Flat Bench
- Treadmill
- Pull up and Dip Station
- Multi purpose Cable Station (Lat Pull Downs/Upright Rows/Seated Rows/Cable Pushdowns/Cable Curls ect...) with rope, large Pull Down bar and short bar attachments. Plate loaded
- 6 large mirrors 3x5
- 2 large rubber gym mats 4x5

But think of those poor employees, being displaced by actual dumbbells!

Unloaded the trailer today & used a fokrtruck to haul it all upstairs. Reassembled everything & it's some damn fine gear. Very heavy duty commercial style stuff. I highly doubt any of us will very use the 70 lb & up dumbbells though.

And Claire, just replacing the dumbbells with more useful ones:D

Unloaded the trailer today & used a fokrtruck to haul it all upstairs. Reassembled everything & it's some damn fine gear. Very heavy duty commercial style stuff. I highly doubt any of us will very use the 70 lb & up dumbbells though.

Sounds like a nice deal. I wish I could be so lucky and relocate my co-worker I share office space with.

I guess for an office gym the 70+ lb dumbbells won't be used much, but for they gym I'm at I wish they'd invest in heavier than 100 lb ones. I get bored after so many reps.

I got below 170 (169.4) again today for the first time since the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year's weight gain. Actually got up to 179.9 about a month ago, even though we've been using WiiFit since 1/23. It's been harder to lose since starting that since muscle weighs more than fat does. I got down to 165 about 6 months ago, but it looks like the WiiFit scale and my old home scale are consistently about 2 pounds off each other. The goal is still 165 with 155 being the ultimate, if possible. That stupid game still says I should weigh 140 which ain't gonna happen!

Currently doing the P90 system and will be moving on the the P90x soon. I recommend both. If you're kind of out of shape and want to start slow with less soreness do P90 then P90x. If you want to go for it go right to P90x. Good stuff.

Ive been doing spin classes with the lady for the last month and a half trying to get my cardio up for the new hockey season that starts Tuesday. I actually have enjoyed it. I would like to start lifting weights again but im not really supposed to with my bum wrist.

Currently doing the P90 system and will be moving on the the P90x soon. I recommend both. If you're kind of out of shape and want to start slow with less soreness do P90 then P90x. If you want to go for it go right to P90x. Good stuff.

What's that? Never heard of it.

With a bum shoulder, there's no point in doing weights. I can't do the upper body stuff, and I do plenty of elliptical (plus situps and stretches), which takes care of the rest of it. Grrr.

p90 and p90x ... as well as other exercise routines are now vogue on muscle fatigue ... same with the insanity workout ... and even more traditional aerobics workouts that want to keep with what's hip ... they're variations of circuit training with varying levels of muscle fatigue ...

you can also google the '300 workout' which is absolute murder (and in my opinion the best around if you want to really go all out) ... caveat ... unless you're in excellent shape, you will not be able to complete it in its entirety the first few weeks ...

also if you want a decent hour exercise to lose weight or tone up or just stay in good shape ... (but these routines are much nicer to your joints if those give you trouble) ... try fit tv's bodies in motion with gilad ... it's usually on 6 am to 7 am, and then again at 6 pm to 7pm (with some afternoon shows as well for those who stay at home during the day) ...

the first 30 minute show is called bodies in motion ... the following 30 minute show is called total body sculpt ... do it a few months ... and you'll feel and see a difference ... it's mostly aerobics with a little stretching at the end (which of course you can just extend as you want or need) ... and then for those who want to ... if you want to take it up a notch ... throw in some aspects of the 300 workout or try the p90x or other similar workout ...

i think though whatever you do, you can create your own fitness routine to meet your goals and with enough variation from one week to the next to benefit from the muscle fatigue and interval training with most of these exercises ...

i exercise 1 hour every morning during the week and am a pretty fit 190 pounds just by mixing some gilad with some 300 and some of my own routines ... and believe it or not ... one of the best exercises to stay fit it just to jump rope ... but you have to do it without resting ...

Yeah, I've been pretty serious about my exercise for a couple of decades. The only two things I've ever been naturally good at are running and weight lifiting. I just hate being on the injured reserve.

so today's lesson was

don't run a marathon two weeks after a hard half marathon:beat-up:

slow and in a bit of mild pain, but that'll fade, 3 weeks between a half and a full works much better, 2 weeks is not enough time to recover fully (for me anyways)

also, Oakland CA puts on a heck of a nice marathon, I had a great time out there

Since I started this thread a few months ago I though I give update on my exercise and overall health. Went last month for one of my six month check-ups for my diabetes they did a very intensive blood work this time around drew six vials of blood (thought for a minute they were going to completely drain me LOL). Got the report a few weeks ago 4 pages worth of results and all were in the good to excellent category, not bad for a guy pushing 63. The other thing the doctor has been hammering me is to have a colon cancer screening, I have come up with every excuse in the book finally ran out of excuses had it done yesterday. The results came back all clear the doctor said I was in great shape.

2 1/2 years ago when I started my exercise program I had a serious weight problem that was only getting worse (weighed 232 pounds), diabetes was getting out of control blood sugar was at times well over 300 and my A1C test were in the 8 to 9 range (normal is 4-5.5) cholesterol was 236. Doctor told me I had to do something or else I might not be around much longer. So I started the exercise program out rather slowly at first just walking 3 or four times a week and few things at home. Then joined a gym and got serious about it today my weight is holding steady at 173 (wish I could get down more but I guess not bad for being almost six feet tall) cholesterol is 95, blood pressure is 116/63, blood sugar 14 day average is 97, my A1C test run around 4.8-5. All this by exercise and taking two pills a day for my diabetes, I'm quite proud of success in my exercise routine and getting to be a healthy old guy.

Way to go Halk! :thumb:

Good report, halk!

Great work halk! It is always nice to see the results from all the work you put into something (especially your health)!

I see a few people on here have mentioned the p90 and p90x. I have always wondered about them, would you recommend them?

At the gym I go to there was a guy there that was using the p90x it seemed to work for him. I set up my own routine that I felt would give me the best workout. My basic routine consists of the following 17 minutes on the treadmill running at 6.8 to 7.0 mph 15 minutes of running at this speed and two minutes of cool down. 17 minutes on the elliptical machine with the resistance set at 20 (max. on machine I use) 15 minutes at the max with a 2 minute cool down. then I do the 5 sets of 25 reps each on the resistance weight machine, leg presses at 120 pounds etc. I also do work on my chest, stomach, arms and etc. with resistance set at 100 pounds all these I have worked up to over time all this takes me about hour four nights week. I split my time up Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday Friday this way I have some rest time and do not over work any of the muscle groups. I have seen guys come in the gym and try and do 220 pound resistance weights and do two or three maybe four at the most and think they are really doing something. I have found for me the 5-6 sets of 25 reps and the tread mill and elliptical machine work out is just right for me. I think to do you have to find a routine that works for you and then you do not dread to go I look forward to my hour work out it helps to relieve the stress of work and a long day.

I hope my rambling made a little senses and if helps someone to get into a routine like I have great.

At the gym I go to there was a guy there that was using the p90x it seemed to work for him. I set up my own routine that I felt would give me the best workout. My basic routine consists of the following 17 minutes on the treadmill running at 6.8 to 7.0 mph 15 minutes of running at this speed and two minutes of cool down. 17 minutes on the elliptical machine with the resistance set at 20 (max. on machine I use) 15 minutes at the max with a 2 minute cool down. then I do the 5 sets of 25 reps each on the resistance weight machine, leg presses at 120 pounds etc. I also do work on my chest, stomach, arms and etc. with resistance set at 100 pounds all these I have worked up to over time all this takes me about hour four nights week. I split my time up Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday Friday this way I have some rest time and do not over work any of the muscle groups. I have seen guys come in the gym and try and do 220 pound resistance weights and do two or three maybe four at the most and think they are really doing something. I have found for me the 5-6 sets of 25 reps and the tread mill and elliptical machine work out is just right for me. I think to do you have to find a routine that works for you and then you do not dread to go I look forward to my hour work out it helps to relieve the stress of work and a long day.

I hope my rambling made a little senses and if helps someone to get into a routine like I have great.

It made total sense. Before we moved I used to do crossfit and that was awesome I had such a great time with that. I used to work out at the gym all the time and had a great routine going but now we are at least 20 mintues from the nearest gym. I would love to join it but I am afraid I won't go because it's so far and it's $45/month. I would love to so some of the classes and stuff I just worry about my motivation due to the distance. That's why i was asking about the p90 and p90x I am curious if it's motivating and fun to do at home and of course if it's effective. I know I have to motivate myself but if the workouts are interesting enough I would be motivated to do it at home.

GG, I agree that crossfit is great! I love how it is a different challenge every day. As for the p90/p90x stuff, it works if you put the time in and constantly challenge yourself. Following his plan will get results, but pushing it even further by trying to do more than him (in a controlled motion of course) in each stage of the circuit. If you just want to follow along with someone telling you what to do and for how long, it works.

After a week, I got tired of listening to Tony Horton talk because he's so cheesy (and we all know you're not a fan of extra cheese :D) so I put him on mute and played my own background music. Eventually it got too repetitive for me and I went on to other tactics that work so much better for me.

GG, I agree that crossfit is great! I love how it is a different challenge every day. As for the p90/p90x stuff, it works if you put the time in and constantly challenge yourself. Following his plan will get results, but pushing it even further by trying to do more than him (in a controlled motion of course) in each stage of the circuit. If you just want to follow along with someone telling you what to do and for how long, it works.

After a week, I got tired of listening to Tony Horton talk because he's so cheesy (and we all know you're not a fan of extra cheese :D) so I put him on mute and played my own background music. Eventually it got too repetitive for me and I went on to other tactics that work so much better for me.

I have to find a way to fight my laziness. Working out was so much easier when I had a gym partner now I just keep starting things and then stopping because I get bored. I wish there was a gym closer to my house I would sign up for different classes to keep things fresh. How long did it take to start seeing results from the power 90? Also, if I am pretty out of shape now but used to be in really good shape should I go to power 90 first or skip over to power 90x. Do I need to buy extra things to make it work, I saw some people using a pull up bar. Sorry if I have too many questions.

Back