Niblick Unboxing & Thread

Buddyjay -- I also love the 42*. This weekend, on two occassions I jumped out of the cart with my 49* Niblick to pitch onto the green, and only after my partner drove away did I realize that a low running shot would be the higher percentage shot. Both times, I went for it anyway, and regretted it. The 42* is just so easy to use when you have room to run it.

btw - I agree about being on the range v. being on the fairway. For a while I carried both my GW and the 49* Niblick to see which I liked better, but when playing I found myself reaching for the Niblick like a security blanket. So I decided to bench my GW.

went to a par 3 course yesterday to teach my friend some golf, to have some fun and try out my new 56* niblick.

well, i thought my mate so well, that i had to stop giving him 2 shots per hole, and gave him 1 shot only for the last 6 holes :p

So, the Niblick first impressions are very good. I brought a Niblick, 9i and putter, and the Niblick was used on 95% of shots, so plenty of time to bed it in. The fairways were soft / wet, and the greens were tiny. Most shots were about 80 - 100 yards, and most holes i hit the green or fringe from the tee. the bal stopped dead in every occasion, i played a beat up pro v1 on the last 2 holes, and on full shots the ball would spin easily 12 yards backwards (playing off a mat), so defo a lot of spin generated.

This course was built into the side of a hill, so there were a few elevated lob shots needed to get the ball up and onto the tiny green, Niblick again came up trumps here, was just so easy to float it up over the crest of the green and stop it quickly using any average golf ball. little delicate pitch shots from the fringe were nice too, i even shipped in one handed.. :D

So, my first impressions are very good. Im looking at replacing my lop & gap wedge with the 56*, but ill need to do some further testing and some practice rounds, i dont know yet the distance this club will hit my balls, so ill weigh up the options soon.

I certainly like this club, and it certainly is a club i am confident can contribute knocking 3-4 shots off my game.

ok, im seriously considering getting one of these but i just have a cpl questions (not sure if this is the correct place for them though)...
On a full shot, I can hit my 56º wedge 80-90 yards (Im not a big hitter). Will I be able to hit the Niblick a little longer? Also, Im sometimes inconsistent with my wedges. Will the Niblick help with accuracy?

I have the 37* and 49* niblick. The 37* according to Cleveland is equivalent to a 9i. I use it for low running chip shots, and for me, it is much more accurate. It has taken a few strokes off my score because of getting up and down much more easily.Also, it is great off tight lies. I hit it about 5 yd. less on a full swing than my 9i. But its accuracy is the trade off for distance.
I liked the 37* so much I bought the 49* to take the place of my 52* gap wedge.

ok, im seriously considering getting one of these but i just have a cpl questions (not sure if this is the correct place for them though)...
On a full shot, I can hit my 56º wedge 80-90 yards (Im not a big hitter). Will I be able to hit the Niblick a little longer? Also, Im sometimes inconsistent with my wedges. Will the Niblick help with accuracy?

I havent measured my distance yet, but it is much more consistantly accurate than any wedge ive played before. The club kind of swings itself, so simple.

The 56* i was hitting was easily going about 90yards id say, perhaps a tad less than my lob wedge. dont quote me on that, as i have yet to compare the distances properly. but the accuracy is great, and simplicity.

One of the reasons i got my 56* niblick is because I was having trouble with my regular wedges and gave this a try. The weight of the niblick itself is a lot heavier so for me, it helps me to swing thru the shot in turn helping the ball get up and down without a problem....the yardages I get from my 56* is about 50-60 yards, my 51* AW is what i use for 100 yards, but it looks like our yardages are way different so it may be different for you......Good luck!

I agree. The niblicks are so easy to swing and so accurate. I think it's the shorter shaft and the heavier club head. Also, the zip grooves really put spin on the ball. I play in high desert courses with tight lies and the niblicks just pick it clean.

I have the 42- which is supposed to be like a PW. It is shorter, for me by about 10 yards, but MUCH more accurate and MUCH easier to hit with a full swing.

thanks for the replies guys. it sounds like the 56º Niblick will be a tad shorter than a regular 56º wedge, correct? Im looking for one I can use for 70-100 yard shots. so im just curious if i should get a 42º, 49º, or 56º Niblick? Probably the 49º, right?

Just call me Mr. Niblick, I have gone out and bought all 4 and I am currently experimenting with carrying all of them in my bag together. I have played a couple of rounds like this and this is what I can say from the experiences. The 42* still remains my absolute favorite of the group, I use it for full swings from about 115-125 yards out as well as come shots around the green. The 56* I use as a sand wedge and find it easy to lift the ball out of the sand with the heavy bottom of the club. I also use it when I am about 40-50 yds out and it lift the ball nice and high and lands very softly. My last round I tried to use the 49* a bit more had a few hicups, but I think those will smooth out in time. I am hoping it will work for the shots 60-100 yards out. Last time it seemed to pop up a bit too much but I plan more work with it and will keep everyone informed.

. . . it sounds like the 56º Niblick will be a tad shorter than a regular 56º wedge, correct? Im looking for one I can use for 70-100 yard shots. so im just curious if i should get a 42º, 49º, or 56º Niblick? Probably the 49º, right?

If your 56* wedge is going 80-90, my guess is the 49* Niblick might go around 100+ and can be dialed down to 70 with control.

thanks for the replies guys. it sounds like the 56º Niblick will be a tad shorter than a regular 56º wedge, correct? Im looking for one I can use for 70-100 yard shots. so im just curious if i should get a 42º, 49º, or 56º Niblick? Probably the 49º, right?

I would think the 49* would work.

I hit my 37* niblick with a full swing about 125 yd. Before I bought my 49* I was using the 37* not just for chipping but for 40-50 yd. pitch shots. I just shorten the backswing. Thats how easy they are to hit.
Since I bought the 49* I now use it for those pitch shots but I can hit it up to 90 yds. with a full swing. The 49* has since taken the place of my 52* gap wedge.

thanks guys. i think ill start looking for the 49º Niblick

Here's an update to my post #450.
As I mentioned before, I bought the 42* for short pitches to long chips. The 42* gets more loft than I would have thought and can get even more if played off my left foot. You really can't open the face but you can manipulate the trajectory with your stance.
But I decided to try it from 100 yards, this is something I had no intention doing when I bought it since my PW/GW is pretty good from that distance.
WOW! The first try was 105 yards and it went straight as an arrow to the center of the green. Had the same results with the next two tries! It was so easy to hit. I am now going to use this from 110 and in and it will probably replace my PW in the bag. I am also going to look into getting the 49* & 56*.

The long chips does require some practice to get the distances down, but the 100 yard shots are almost a no-brainer.

Here's an update to my post #450.
But I decided to try it from 100 yards...
WOW! The first try was 105 yards and it went straight as an arrow to the center of the green. Had the same results with the next two tries... the 100 yard shots are almost a no-brainer.
+1...the 42* replaces both my PW and my GW.

I had a brief fling with puttiing those clubs back in the bag, as my regular 56* and 60* have smoothed themselves out so nicely greenside, but quickly found myself without a reliable 50-100 yard club. So the 42* is back.

As for my 56* Niblick...she's on the bench now, but I do think she's at least partially responsible for the dramatic improvement in my other wedge play. Not quite sure how it happened--maybe she just fulfilled her destiny as a training club--but give me anything greenside now, and I'm going to do some damage with my Mizuno's.

I had a brief fling with puttiing those clubs back in the bag, as my regular 56* and 60* have smoothed themselves out so nicely greenside, but quickly found myself without a reliable 50-100 yard club. So the 42* is back.

As for my 56* Niblick...she's on the bench now, but I do think she's at least partially responsible for the dramatic improvement in my other wedge play. Not quite sure how it happened--maybe she just fulfilled her destiny as a training club--but give me anything greenside now, and I'm going to do some damage with my Mizuno's.

+1.....my 56* Mizzie is my fave wedge...automatic from 75-100yds

I was just thinking about how the Niblicks are improving my wedge play. I think the weight of the club encourages me to slow down my swing and widen my arc. With a short wedge, there is often a tendency to rush things. Also, the long squared off head makes me very aware of squaring up the face at impact. Maybe most important is the boost in confidence. Since so much in sports is mental, being able to stand over a ball with the only thought being "how close can I get it?" instead of the dozen things that can go wrong, is huge.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about how the Niblicks are improving my wedge play. I think the weight of the club encourages me to slow down my swing and widen my arc. With a short wedge, there is often a tendency to rush things. Also, the long squared off head makes me very aware of squaring up the face at impact. Maybe most important is the boost in confidence. Since so much in sports is mental, being able to stand over a ball with the only thought being "how close can I get it?" instead of the dozen things that can go wrong, is huge.

I agree with the mental part. Thats why I look like a pro at the range or practice green, especially with my 60* Vokey. Rarley mis-hit anything. But then go to the course and have ONE shot with the 60* and chunk! The Niblicks instill some confidence since they are hard to mis-hit.

I'm a lemming. I just went out and bought a 56* niblick this morning after reading this thread. Hopefully i see some of the same good things. if so, I'll add more to the bag.

Re: Niblick Unboxing & Thread

I'm a lemming. I just went out and bought a 56* niblick this morning after reading this thread. Hopefully i see some of the same good things. if so, I'll add more to the bag.

Welcome to the club! Ive found the 56* to be very easy to hit on the range and in the back yard. Ive only been out one this year and maybe had two shots with it. I think the 42 and the 56 go nicely with a 58 or 60* wedge.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

The 56* niblick is a mixed bag, definately not a magic club for me yet. Here's the scoop:
I went to the baseball field across the street. So I'm hitting everything from the rough ad it's dropped 3 - 5 inches of rain the last few days. So that's the turf conditions.

I chip Utley style, ball forward, deloft the club, rotate through. I was hittng everything thin. I couldn't hit pitches either. I was starting to wonder if the niblick doesn't work well with his technique.

I did seem to do ok using a putting stroke.

Now it was getting to dark so I was starting to pack it in when I stood closer to the ball and bingo a solid chip. I repeated a few times with same results.

I'll keep working on it to see how it goes. I did see some good stuff, so I think I'll be able to work things out.

The 56* niblick is a mixed bag, definately not a magic club for me yet. Here's the scoop:
I went to the baseball field across the street. So I'm hitting everything from the rough ad it's dropped 3 - 5 inches of rain the last few days. So that's the turf conditions.

I chip Utley style, ball forward, deloft the club, rotate through. I was hittng everything thin. I couldn't hit pitches either. I was starting to wonder if the niblick doesn't work well with his technique.

I did seem to do ok using a putting stroke.

Now it was getting to dark so I was starting to pack it in when I stood closer to the ball and bingo a solid chip. I repeated a few times with same results.

I'll keep working on it to see how it goes. I did see some good stuff, so I think I'll be able to work things out.

the niblick shaft is noticebly shorter than all of my other wedges so maybe your "normal" wedge technique won't work with this club....practice practice practice!

the niblick shaft is noticebly shorter than all of my other wedges so maybe your "normal" wedge technique won't work with this club....practice practice practice!

You may want to try opening your stance a bit and playing the ball back in your stance instead of forward. That allows a steeper angle of approach to get the ball up quickly from the rough with spin. In fact this setup is particularly key for shots from the rough. The technique to use is called the "hinge and hold" technique in that you hinge your wrists for a very short and upright backswing and hold off any release of the club through impact. This technique also works well from tight lies. You can hit it fairly hard and low with the 56* which imparts a lot spin to make the ball stop very quickly. You just make the hinge of the wrists a little less upright to keep the ball lower off the face. Chances are you have seen this "2-bounce and stop" chip shot if you follow the PGA Tour on TV. The "Hinge and Hold" technique gets it done.

Conversely, if you want the ball to come out with very little spin and roll a lot more, then use a dead-wristed motion with the ball more in the middle of the stance...That action is more like a long putting stroke. Obviously it won't work from the rough however. The stroke is on a more level plane rather than steeply down on the ball.

Chances are you will love your 56* Niblick after a bit of practice...

Last edited:
Back