What's for Dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was ambitious tonight and made chicken asiago over penne.

chicken alfredo... thank god for shake n bake

How do you shake-n-bake a cream sauce? :confused2:

Something chicken-based tonight, but I'm not sure what. The Kid has a baseball dinner, so I only need to please one child.

Ribeyes tonight. They were supposed to be for last night, but it was raining.

Shrimp Scampi tonight. I almost never cook seafood so I hope I don't overcook the shrimp.

It cooks quick. High heat, as soon as it turns pink take it off. If it starts wrinkling you overcooked it.

It cooks quick. High heat, as soon as it turns pink take it off. If it starts wrinkling you overcooked it.

Thanks for the tip...I am crossing my fingers I cook it properly. That's the problem I have with fish I never know when it's done and then I end up over cooking.

Thanks for the tip...I am crossing my fingers I cook it properly. That's the problem I have with fish I never know when it's done and then I end up over cooking.

For regular fish if you have an instant read thermometer, I would use that to measure when it's done. I would then touch it to feel the heat as a reference for future cooking. When you cook the shrimp touch it and see how firm it is when it's cooked and as an experiment overcook a few and feel how rubbery it is. I still use an instant read but in time I started touching and on somethings I can cook without it. Eventually you will too.

For regular fish if you have an instant read thermometer, I would use that to measure when it's done. I would then touch it to feel the heat as a reference for future cooking. When you cook the shrimp touch it and see how firm it is when it's cooked and as an experiment overcook a few and feel how rubbery it is. I still use an instant read but in time I started touching and on somethings I can cook without it. Eventually you will too.

I have become pretty good at touching meat like burgers, steak and chicken and knowing when it's done but fish is something I almost never cook. It is still something I am growing to like.

With shrimp just look up the middle where the vein is. When its opaque your shrimp is done. You can also cut one in half.

With shrimp just look up the middle where the vein is. When its opaque your shrimp is done. You can also cut one in half.

Thank you! I really appreciate all the help everyone is providing. Now that we are cooking at home more I am trying to go out of my comfort zone and start cooking new things. I know JB loves fish so it's something I want to start cooking more but I just always have trouble telling when it's done. Fish is something I almost never order unless I am at the beach and then I just get a grouper sandwich so I am trying to broaden my horizons and try more seafood.

I absolutely LOVE that we are cooking at home more I wish this is something we did from the beginning.

Thank you! I really appreciate all the help everyone is providing. Now that we are cooking at home more I am trying to go out of my comfort zone and start cooking new things. I know JB loves fish so it's something I want to start cooking more but I just always have trouble telling when it's done. Fish is something I almost never order unless I am at the beach and then I just get a grouper sandwich so I am trying to broaden my horizons and try more seafood.

I absolutely LOVE that we are cooking at home more I wish this is something we did from the beginning.

I might be a little off and someone can correct me. If I was cooking a normal 6-8 oz filet of salmon on a skillet. I would set it over medium and generally cook it for 4 minutes a side, give or take a minute. On the grill is about the same time but I put it on high heat because my grill doesnt get that hot.
Really fish is all about trial and error, Ive been cooking it since I was a teenager. I learned with fish tacos because its easy to mask if you over cook it.

I might be a little off and someone can correct me. If I was cooking a normal 6-8 oz filet of salmon on a skillet. I would set it over medium and generally cook it for 4 minutes a side, give or take a minute. On the grill is about the same time but I put it on high heat because my grill doesnt get that hot.
Really fish is all about trial and error, Ive been cooking it since I was a teenager. I learned with fish tacos because its easy to mask if you over cook it.

Fish tacos is a great idea we both love those and you are right it can be covered up with sauces and toppings. I wish JB liked cooked Salmon but he only likes it smoked like Lox or raw in Sushi he won't eat it cooked. But we have so many options for fresh fish being so close to the gulf that it makes sense to cook it more. We are only a few miles from the water seems silly not to take advantage.

Thanks for all the help! :smile:

Fish tacos is a great idea we both love those and you are right it can be covered up with sauces and toppings. I wish JB liked cooked Salmon but he only likes it smoked like Lox or raw in Sushi he won't eat it cooked. But we have so many options for fresh fish being so close to the gulf that it makes sense to cook it more. We are only a few miles from the water seems silly not to take advantage.

You should put cooked salmon on your menu twice a week. He can only veto it once! hehehe

That's why if I'm uncomfortable with a certain fish I use that thermometer. It takes the guessing game out of it.

Sushi is easy if you can get fresh fish. I should show you while i'm there. Here's the secret... it's all in the rice. :D

I like to cook fish in parchment paper with veggies, water, citrus juice and/or wine and herbs or spices. It keeps it moist so even if you end up cooking a bit too long - it doesn't dry the fish.

That's why if I'm uncomfortable with a certain fish I use that thermometer. It takes the guessing game out of it.
:D

I use a thermometer for everything else but fish. Growing up with a deep freezer filled with fish Im able to just wing it now.

I like to cook fish in parchment paper with veggies, water, citrus juice and/or wine and herbs or spices. It keeps it moist so even if you end up cooking a bit too long - it doesn't dry the fish.

Ahh,papillote. It always turns out great but im not a big fan of baking stuff.

GG - I have a wonderful book that you should buy. It's called Timing Is Everything: The Complete Guide To Cooking. It tells you how long to cook every kind of food by every method. It also gives you the shelf life of food as well as how long you can keep something in the refrigerator or freezer. I refer to it often. I bought it years ago after reading about it in the NY Times.

Sushi is easy if you can get fresh fish.

As long as it's not blowfish :bulgy-eyes:

going out to Outback tonight....bloomin' onion!!!

I LOVE the Bloomin' Onion! Also the brown bread they bring out. Too bad that the ones around me can't cook meat worth eating. We quit going. At least one of them closed since our last great experience there.

Mmm. Blooming Onions are awesome - but so many calories. They're close to 1600 calories each! :bulgy-eyes: You could have two of their 9-ounce filets and still save 100 calories.

Frozen, leftover homemade lasagna and a Zia’s salad (Zia’s is a local Italian restaurant that sells their dressing).

Well Shrimp Scampi is not a dish I should cook it was TERRIBLE and that is an understatement. JB was nice and ate it but I really am worried he might get sick later it was so bad. Everything went wrong. I will have to try it again sometime (maybe) to redeem myself.

Sorry it didn't work out well GG. I say try again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back