How to Attend a Golf Tournament

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Good article.

I've been to about every kind of pro sporting event there is. Playoff games, record crowds, etc etc.

A golf tournament would have to be my most favorite sporting event to attend above all others.

Nice write up Claire!

I pretty much agree with everything that was pointed out. I always like to go either on Thursday or Friday as the crowds are smaller and you get to see every player in the field versus the weekend when it is crowded and many players have been cut.

Claire did a great job on this. I've always wanted to make it to a tour event, now I know how to do it right. Thanks Claire!

Love the port-o-potty story.

I'm just gonna start handing TP to every pro I see now.

Whether they want it or not.

on the street.

Love the port-o-potty story.

I'm just gonna start handing TP to every pro I see now.

Whether they want it or not.

on the street.

Can we get the new THP logo on it? Just like in Spaceballs? "THP TP....Wiping away your worries one sheet at a time"

I usually prefer to camp at one hole and watch the majority of the field roll through.... especially at the Tour Championship at East Lake... easy to do with a field of 30 ...

Can we get the new THP logo on it? Just like in Spaceballs? "THP TP....Wiping away your worries one sheet at a time"

Don't forget THP the flamethrower... the kids love that one.

Great read Claire... I've always wanted to go to an event. I think you are absolutely right on the volunteering. They do have the best seats in the house. One question... how does one volunteer and/or obtain tickets to these tour stops?

Congrats and great job!!!

I've been to one (btw great read Claire!!) and will probably go to a few more around here, but we like to camp at a hole where you can see them approaching the green on one hole and then teeing off on another hole! So you get 2 holes in 1 :)

Very nice Claire...I carefully read the part about dressing properly! :alien2:

Good , well thought out article. I usually make it to the PGA, and Seniors Vegas tour stops, and the article pretty well hits on all the topics involved in a day long event.

Thanks, everyone. I'd been noodling with it in my head and finally put it on paper. If it's not stepping on JB's toes, I'm sure he'd appreciate articles from other members, so he gets an easy day.

Great read Claire... I've always wanted to go to an event. I think you are absolutely right on the volunteering. They do have the best seats in the house. One question... how does one volunteer and/or obtain tickets to these tour stops?

Every tour stop has its own website, with ticket and volunteer info. You can get there from the LPGA or PGA Tour websites--the schedule has links.

I'm already signed up as a walking scorer for the Sybase Matchplay in June. I want to write about that as well.

Great job Claire. Nice write up. I'd like to read a Fan Diary from your experience at the Sybase too. Hope you get a great group for your walking scorer.

That would make a great follow up to this article Claire. Can't wait.

Hvaen't been to a tournament yet but am planning on hitting Whistling Straits for the major this year.

Re: How to Attend a Golf Tournament

I'm going to attend my second tournament this weekend. The champions your in newport beach, ca. Will use some of your tips on this one

I am probably the only one here that doesn't like to attend tournaments. Let's see - when I was about 10, I got sick at the GHO (now The Travelers) and my parents dumped me at a friend's house - they lived on the course and went back to watch. I also spent a few birthdays at tournaments - what fun for a 12 year old girl. I keep trying though - last year I got completely drenched at the US Open at Bethpage and rained on again at the Barclays. I've been to the Buick when it was at Westchester and whatever one was at Winged Foot a few years ago - goodness it was hot. Now that I'm done with my rant - I will say the tournaments in the 70's were more fun than they are today. They were much more open and fewer people attended. Miller, Palmer, Trevino and Nicklaus were accessible.

I am probably the only one here that doesn't like to attend tournaments. Let's see - when I was about 10, I got sick at the GHO (now The Travelers) and my parents dumped me at a friend's house - they lived on the course and went back to watch. I also spent a few birthdays at tournaments - what fun for a 12 year old girl. I keep trying though - last year I got completely drenched at the US Open at Bethpage and rained on again at the Barclays. I've been to the Buick when it was at Westchester and whatever one was at Winged Foot a few years ago - goodness it was hot. Now that I'm done with my rant - I will say the tournaments in the 70's were more fun than they are today. They were much more open and fewer people attended. Miller, Palmer, Trevino and Nicklaus were accessible.

Diane, you know I love you dearly, but I will remind you of the cup half full. You have been there for me and I hope this helps you. Focus youngster, focus.

Just my opinion, but Nicklaus was NOT accessible to fans when we saw him. With the exception of maybe Woods, he was the least accessible I have seen. I love how most the guys are with the fans now.

Yes, but only for the practice rounds. For us as media it's better because we can get better pictures of the players. Watching golf live is fun but I actually prefer it on TV.

Awesome!! So we'll get some great pictures :) Can you get signatures too? :D I'll send you a picture of me on a popsicle stick and that way I'll "be" in the pictures as well :clapp:

Back