Parent-Child Golf

Pass on congrats from me and Boo Girl!

Pass on congrats from me and Boo Girl!

Will do Claire, thanks. It was pretty cool to see her making mostly pars and bogeys. I especially enjoyed the 93 as a direct follow up to the 90. It showed her it's there underneath the tough days. It's the consistency that's been missing.

I think mid 80's is possible before the snow flies. The nicest thing is, the better she plays, the more she wants to practice. We're not pushing her at all.

Kevin

We went to the heated bubble today so my punkin could hit some balls. We last went on Monday and she had a tough day. She had had a lesson a couple days before, and things were just not working for her. We also went right after school, and though she had a snack she was hungry, tired, and miserable.

Today we went later after filling her little belly with her favorite food, what we call Gandma's Mac 'n' cheese.

What a difference a a full stomach and a couple days makes. She was really swinging the club nicely. The most compact and connected her swing has been yet. She was doing a nice little forward hip bump to start her transition to the downswing, and was swinging the club on plane maybe better than she ever has. She worked up a sweat, was dissecting her own swing on mis-hits, and most importantly, she was having fun. I know because after she crushed four five irons in a row with good height and a little draw, she turned around with a big smile and said "This is really fun."

It's a little touchy because I'm trying to not be a pushy Dad, yet she does need to be prodded a bit because she's twelve. Once she gets working things usually go well, but we're learning if she's having a bad day it's sometimes best to just cut it short and head home. She's been hitting balls three times a week.

I have one piece of advice to parents of junior golfers. Make sure they have food in their belly before practicing after school. From now on we plan to do homework first, eat dinner, then go to the dome. No more after school snack and then try to hit when homework is waiting for us. Doesn't work.

It's a growing process for all of us. I might post here some over the Winter after practice sessions just to help myself think things out. It's a little stressful. I so want her to be good and enjoy the game, and I think she has great potential, but I do not want to be one of those dads. So far I think we've done a great job, but I'm biased. When her coach agreed to work with her, he required we provide two things, encouragement and opportunity. Providing pressure to succeed and pressure to practice was not a requirement. He thinks she is driven, and will respond on her own when given E & O.

Kevin

Sounds great, Kevin. I wish we had something similar here for Boo (and me).

Today my Daughter had her last lesson, from a professional, for the next two and a half months. Her coach, a retired high school teacher, golf coach, and PGA teaching pro, heads to sunnier climes until the first week in April. She has two things to work on until he gets back. She usually sees him once every two to three weeks.

The first is to work on eliminating an inside takeaway and keeping herself on plane, back and through to the target line.

The second is to work on the hip bump that initiates the down swing, and starts the transition to the left side. This can't be done truly well without accomplishing the first.

She has drills she will do over and over until the Spring sun shines. Hopefully by then she'll defeat the looseness of hands and over the top swing she battles, and have a compact, connected, and powerful swing for when the balls can start flying around outside. This stuff is not that fun, and not that easy, but she keeps working with no complaints. Okay, she's twelve, of course there are complaints. She would rather swing away than myelinate for 80 days, but she knows how important this will be in a year or so. She is not a complete natural, and needs to work, and wants to work.

I'm so proud of her. Tonight she noticed the 2010 schedule for the State PGA Jr. Tour has been posted. She's already planning an ambitious schedule of Pepsi Par Three Challenges, State PGA Future Tour events (nine hole tournaments on generally smaller courses), and State PGA Jr. Tour events (18 holers played on full size tracks). Sounds like she has a nice mix in mind that will build her confidence, as well as expose her to more experienced competitors on some fairly difficult golf courses.

She has some fire in her belly. Today her coach had another lesson scheduled after hers. Turns out it was with a girl a year older she had edged by one stroke for a second place finish in a nine hole tournament last year. She watched her swing and whispered to me as were walking out, "Daddy, I know I could beat her again."

It doesn't hurt to be confident. I'm waiting for the day she whispers, "I know I can beat you, Daddy."

Kevin

That is so cool, Kevin! Can't wait to hear how her season develops.

I haven't been able to hook my son who's 13 on golf. I got him a couple of kids sets when he was in the 6-8 year range and we hit the range a couple times but it never stuck.

I really wish he'd take it up since that'd give us a good father/son thing to do. So far none of our interests coincide.

What I'm hoping is that I can talk him into taking some lessons with the pro I see. The pro is a coach on the HS team and I have had good luck with my lessons with him. Also the local course put in a set of tee markers for kids this year.

I definately don't force it on him.

Any other ideas on how to maybe get him to give it a shot later this year? Maybe I took the wrong approach at first. Though to this day he still talks about the time he hit the 100 yard marker on the range.

Bortass - Do any of his friends play? When my brother and I were your son's age - we played with a lot of other kids at the club. There were only two girls - the other girl was and still is a close friend. My brother had at least a dozen friends to play with though. I think your son may enjoy it more if it's something he can do with both you and his friends. My father also brought us to hit balls, but he made it fun - not instructional.

I haven't been able to hook my son who's 13 on golf. I got him a couple of kids sets when he was in the 6-8 year range and we hit the range a couple times but it never stuck.

I really wish he'd take it up since that'd give us a good father/son thing to do. So far none of our interests coincide.

What I'm hoping is that I can talk him into taking some lessons with the pro I see. The pro is a coach on the HS team and I have had good luck with my lessons with him. Also the local course put in a set of tee markers for kids this year.

I definately don't force it on him.

Any other ideas on how to maybe get him to give it a shot later this year? Maybe I took the wrong approach at first. Though to this day he still talks about the time he hit the 100 yard marker on the range.

The Pro/HS coach is a great combination. My daughter's coach is a retired PGA pro and high school coach, and was my HS coach in the '70s. I think lessons are a great idea, especially with that type of pro. Because of the coaching background, he should be really good with kids, and may even know some junior golfers with which your son could hook up. Diane is right, it's a lot of fun when kids can play or practice together. We'll be playing a new course this year because there will be more juniors with which my daughter can interact.

Golf can be a grind and kind of lonely for a kid that wants to take the game seriously. We're hoping it becomes really fun for ours this year. Get your son out there if you can, you'll love playing with him. Once he hits a few good shots, he'll be hooked.

No solution here--we're in the same boat. The Kid is obsessed with football and wants nothing to do with golf. It's a shame, because we'd really like to play as an entire family.

No solution here--we're in the same boat. The Kid is obsessed with football and wants nothing to do with golf. It's a shame, because we'd really like to play as an entire family.

I was the same way as a youngster, I wanted nothing to do with golf. I played football, basketball and baseball. My mom stuck me in a bowling league one year, what a disaster, every Sat. I had to go bowl and leave from there to my football game.

I have two sons, 8 and 11 both have been playing since last summer.

My oldest is hooked and is playing with the local Jr club. He'll soon be kicking my butt around the course as he is improving at an incredible rate. His first time out he shot a 112 from the reds, I wouldn't be surprised to see him break 100.

My youngest at first just wanted to hit the ball and was stubborn about learning any sort of form. He's come around and has spent a session or two with me at the range working. He now wants to play 18 with Dad.

Now I just need my wife to take an interest then we can play as a family. I truly enjoy the time together with my boys.

i've got two boys at home 2 and 3 years old that want to play golf with daddy. right now, however, they would rather whack each other with the plastic clubs. at the local golf galaxy there is a set for kids, and i was wondering what the right age would be to start them. my 3 year old has pretty get coordination, and he knows how to swing the club.

i've got two boys at home 2 and 3 years old that want to play golf with daddy. right now, however, they would rather whack each other with the plastic clubs. at the local golf galaxy there is a set for kids, and i was wondering what the right age would be to start them. my 3 year old has pretty get coordination, and he knows how to swing the club.

Just let them play for awhile. Besides, golf is one of those activities (like skiing and driving) best taught by a non-relative. Formal lessons rarely begin for kids youger than 6. There's a reason.

The time will pass quickly, and soon they'll be outdriving you!

I've got a 3 year old boy and a 5 year old girl. This past summer I took her out for her first par 3 course on vacation. We made it through 5 holes before she wanted to call it quits. I think her little brother might be better that she is, currently we do the putt with Daddy in our living room floor on Saturday mornings. We make it a big deal when someone makes one "In the hole!"

I got my 2.5 year old that set in GG. Nothing serious though but it's nice to bring him to the range and he messes around the chipping/putting green with his new toy. He likes to smack the ball around though inside the house with the plastic set I got him at WalMart. He's not too shabby with the faux iron. He's got a little draw. :D

do you know if those clubs are available in a left handed set? its seems most kids sets are for righties. he absolutely loves those clubs and always takes the putter out to the practice green

do you know if those clubs are available in a left handed set? its seems most kids sets are for righties. he absolutely loves those clubs and always takes the putter out to the practice green

I've only seen them in righties. Then only lefty ones I think are the ones they sell by the club. I think I saw them one time in Sports Authority.

Today was outstanding, the entire family walked and played 9 today. First time out for the wife, she had fun until she felt rushed by the pair behind us.

She is willing to play more if she can have a "cute" bag and use a cart.

Today was outstanding, the entire family walked and played 9 today. First time out for the wife, she had fun until she felt rushed by the pair behind us.

She is willing to play more if she can have a "cute" bag and use a cart.

There are scads of cute bags out there. Check out Kerri Golf.

do you know if those clubs are available in a left handed set? its seems most kids sets are for righties. he absolutely loves those clubs and always takes the putter out to the practice green?

My son is a lefty. He's 3 and I got his Hagen clubs at GG.

sounds very interesting, my son is 8y and I cant wait till he is 10-11 to take him to the range and introduce him to the game

some tips from Padraig Harrington.

Take away your child's driver and lob wedge...and give them blades!

USE A 2-WOOD, NOT A DRIVER
Most kids under 15 are not physically capable of hitting a driver with enough speed to impart the backspin that gets the ball in the air. So what they do is help it, by moving their weight back, which is detrimental to their swing. What they need is a 2-wood.

THE BENEFIT OF BLADES
You could argue that a kid should use a blade for the long-term benefit to their game, because it teaches you to swing correctly. A blade is good for practising, but if you want consistent scoring then you should be making use of the technology that's there. I do.

PRACTISE WITH A PITCHING WEDGE
Young kids shouldn't carry a lob wedge or a sand wedge. If you want to be a good chipper, you don't want the club to do the job for you, you want to do it yourself. Seve didn't learn to chip with a lob wedge and neither did I. If you want to be good, practise chipping over a bunker with a pitching wedge. You'll learn to be more imaginative. You'll learn to hit it higher and softer, or lower and skiddier. With a pitching wedge over a bunker you can't just punch it in and expect it to stop, you have to be more skilful. But here's the catch. While that would make you a better player, if you wanted to win tomorrow, you should carry a lob wedge because it's easier to play.

Hope this helps,

Padraig.

I remember also, that if he was to teach kids putting, he would teach them to use the cross hand grip that he uses.

Back