Poll: Fan of Mr. Woods?

Poll: Fan of Mr. Woods?

• Yes - Always was

Votes: 44 54.3%
  • Yes - I wasn't before, but this whole womanizing thing showed me he's a pretty cool dude

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • No - I was before, or I didn't mind him, but now, I don't care for him

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • No - Never was

Votes: 24 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
if fans in the gallery at a golf tournament acted like fans at the black hole at a raiders game, they'd be tossed out in a second.

Better behavior is demanded to be a spectator of golf when compared to other sports, and better behavior should be expected of the athletes as well

Apparently you've never seen the fans on the 16th at the FBR Open. It's coming up in a couple of weeks. Personally, it's one of my favorite tournaments, one where the fans have a great time not only watching great players, but get involved by booing, hissing, cheering, etc.

while I agree that most of the real top level guys do have a passion for their sport, yell at teammates and whatnot

this is golf, not basketball, not football

if fans in the gallery at a golf tournament acted like fans at the black hole at a raiders game, they'd be tossed out in a second.

Better behavior is demanded to be a spectator of golf when compared to other sports, and better behavior should be expected of the athletes as well

the behavior tiger exhibits both after great shots and even more so after poor shots is over the line in many cases to me, which is why I've never been a tiger fan.

Just because Jordan or Kobe or T.O. or whoever act up on the field is irrelevant because behavior that's acceptable other places is not acceptable on a golf course.

exactly.

Golf is a sport of Gentlemen, well it is supposed to be anyway.
Its supposed to be fair and just, and each player is supposed to be respectful to the gallery, sport and each other, as seen by the actions of Paul McGinley during the Ryder cup 2006:

McGinley famously offered a handshake to J. J. Henry as Henry lined up a long putt to half their 2006 Ryder Cup match at the K Club, an action prompted by the incursion of a streaker on the final green.

Golfers playing with Tiger not only have up their game to play amongst a huge walking gallery, but also need to block out Tigers petulant behiavour (cursing, throwing clubs, and general selfishness).

I've never been able to play with people that continually bark and complain after a bad shot, how can these guys do it playin with him??

I have always admired Tiger, I love the Euphoria he brings to the game. He has made an idiot of himself off the course, but that will not change my mind regarding the greatness of this man on the course.
But as someone said earlier, The one thing that annoys me is the "Get in the Hole" shouts when he hits a ball, even sometimes when he Driving off a Par 4.

Not a Fan

Not a Fan

Great player with super skills. I have never been a fan of Mr. Woods and don't plan to be. I am a fan favorite of the older generation players and love the Senior tour. Turning 60 this year might have something to do with this :D I do hope he can get his life back together. We all make mistakes and need forgiveness.

I've always been a Tiger fan and I always will be.

I grew up with Jack as my hero, but when the torch was passed to Tiger, I hitched myself to his wagon and I've been there ever since. Tiger is the best golfer I've ever seen and I hope he goes on to break Jack's records and beyond (sorry Jack).

Despite what's happened in Tiger's life recently and despite all of the hoopla that has followed, he's still the best and all any of this proves is that he's just as capable of making the same dumb mistakes that the rest of us make. In many ways, that makes him even more likable than before because it shows that he's as human as the rest of us and that has a sort of reassuring feel to it.

-JP

while I agree that most of the real top level guys do have a passion for their sport, yell at teammates and whatnot

this is golf, not basketball, not football

the behavior tiger exhibits both after great shots and even more so after poor shots is over the line in many cases to me, which is why I've never been a tiger fan.

Just because Jordan or Kobe or T.O. or whoever act up on the field is irrelevant because behavior that's acceptable other places is not acceptable on a golf course.

For the most part, I agree. I understand that we're talking golf, and how different it is. However, I would rather put up w/ a few instances of a Tiger tantrum and know that he cares than watch guys like Stricker, Singh, Furyk, and Goosen all day. I would still watch golf, but if I had to watch those guys all day long I know I'll be getting my Saturday afternoon nap in.

I'm working from home today so I'm watching DVR'd coverage of Sunday's singles matches at the 2009 Presidents Cup....it sure is weird knowing what I now know about Tiger and watching him play then when none of us were on to him in the least.

Re: Poll: Fan of Mr. Woods?

Tiger is the man. Big fan here.

I've always been a fan of Tiger as a golfer. He is simply amazing to watch. No one can deny what he has done for the game. As a role model or person, unfortunately I think he needs improvement.

Tiger is the reason I enjoy watching golf. He may be a little intense, but I appreciate how he likes to compete.

I would prefer to watch a guy grind and be upset about a bad shot, than cheer for a nice guy who seems content to just finish in the top 20. I guess he just makes the game interesting for me.

I think people who have associated his golf performance with what they expect his personal life to be will almost always be disappointed. Golf is an important part of my life, but it is still just a game. I enjoy golf because of the challenges it provides me, which are unlike any other game I have played. I enjoy watching Tiger because he has great skill and a massive drive to succeed. What he does off the course has never been much concern for me, although I worry what impact the scandal will have on his children.

I have always been a fan of his pure talent in golf. I have never cared fro the club throwing and swearing on the course which I dont understand. Perhaps if I was close to his talent level I might. The incident of his infidelities initially cause me to not like him as a golfer but after giving it some rational reflection, I came to realize that it was his sheer talent which caused me watch. When he returns I will again watch just as intently as before. His personal persona has been diminished in my eyes and I hope he can pull his private life together...for his sake, not mine.

Tiger is the reason I enjoy watching golf. He may be a little intense, but I appreciate how he likes to compete.

I would prefer to watch a guy grind and be upset about a bad shot, than cheer for a nice guy who seems content to just finish in the top 20. I guess he just makes the game interesting for me.

I think people who have associated his golf performance with what they expect his personal life to be will almost always be disappointed. Golf is an important part of my life, but it is still just a game. I enjoy golf because of the challenges it provides me, which are unlike any other game I have played. I enjoy watching Tiger because he has great skill and a massive drive to succeed. What he does off the course has never been much concern for me, although I worry what impact the scandal will have on his children.

I agree with a lot of this.. Tiger brought a hell of a lot to the game, but at the same time, he started to take what he had for granted (fans, wife, family, clubs even!).

What is quite evident now though, is the new breed of players coming through, they are cut of the same competitive cloth as Tiger in many respects. Im an avid follower of the European Tour (as im from Europe), Players like McIlroy, Molinary(s), Quiros, Kaymer, etc... they all show a real desire to win, and a distaste of 2nd place.

Although his personal life should not be of concern to anyone else than himself, the reality is that he's in a position where people look up to him either he likes it or not. What he does with it is of course up to him, which is indeed for his own sake, not mine.
That being said, he remains IMO the greatest golfer alive. I wish him the best on his comeback.

Back