The Irish Lass Buys Her RoboSwing

ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
Okay, so I had my swing analysis at GolfTec yesterday, and it was ugly. I won't get into that, other than to say that ratios, angles, and drawing lines on computer images appeals to my left-brained self. I have a lot of work to do.

Random observations:
  • Boy, what you feel your body do and what shows up on screen have no relationship to each other.
  • Thank goodness the instructor put the special skinny lens on the camera. That part wasn't humiliating.
  • The video drills on the Golf Tec website are unintentionally hilarious. They may be worth the price of admission.
  • The instructor made a point I hadn't heard before. People who grew up playing sports (which excludes me) develop a sense of timing that allows them more compensation for a fundamentally unsound swing. Those of us who didn't have a much smaller margin of error. That certainly explains why Hubby, who grew up playing tennis and football and who refuses to take a golf lesson, can outplay me (for the moment).
We'll see where this gets me.

Good observations. Keep us in the loop.

"Boy, what you feel your body do and what shows up on screen have no relationship to each other. "

I can vouch for that one. I had Liz tape my swing last year, uuugh!

I would agree that growing up athletic has its perks in some areas.

I didn't know you were Irish. So am I.

Pulled me right in with the "Irish Lass". All that science and math is right up your alley. Like Diane, I bet you improve quickly.

Kevin

"Boy, what you feel your body do and what shows up on screen have no relationship to each other. "

I can vouch for that one. I had Liz tape my swing last year, uuugh!

I had my wife videotape my swing last year in preparation for the City Championships and the disc must have gotten switched because the disjointed, off-balance swing on the video did not resemble at all my Couples-esque swing.:confused2:

I had my wife videotape my swing last year in preparation for the City Championships and the disc must have gotten switched because the disjointed, off-balance swing on the video did not resemble at all my Couples-esque swing.:confused2:

LOL. I'm with you on that one. I fully intended on sending mine to Andy, but after seeing it I was afraid he'd kick me off the site.

I've seen you swing Claire and it's not ugly. Tell the truth.

I've seen you swing Claire and it's not ugly. Tell the truth.

What feels like an athletic stance looks like the Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz.

What looks athletic feels like I'm going to fall on my face.

Seth--the "Clare" part of my username is for the County.

Okay, so I had my swing analysis at GolfTec yesterday, and it was ugly. I won't get into that, other than to say that ratios, angles, and drawing lines on computer images appeals to my left-brained self. I have a lot of work to do.

I went through GolfTec lessons last year and I'm very glad I did. It is quite a shock to the system, in many ways. I'll say this... be prepared to get worse before you get better. As swing changes were first put in, I really struggled on the course. But then as things started to 'click', golf really got fun.

Claire,

Im not sure if this is appropriate on here, and if its not, please dont answer, but what is the pricing like for lessons at golftec? And do you feel they helped, even this early?

Thanks!

Random observations:
  • Boy, what you feel your body do and what shows up on screen have no relationship to each other.

• X's 1000, I knew that I wasn't doing what I thought I was doing but I had no idea how different they actually are!

I can relate to bullet number one. No truer statement has ever been spoken when it comes to golf.

Maybe I should change my user name to SeanfromCarlow? Nah, it doesn't have an nice ring to it.

By the way Claire, you have a very nice golf bag.

I think it's great you are taking this step in order to improve your golf. Thanks for sharing your experience with us up to this point, albeit the first lesson. I'm sure there will be some ups & downs during this transition but it will be well worth it in the end, especially when you're beating the hubby!

PS: actually it doesn't matter what your swing looks like, it's the impact that counts. There have been many professional golfers noted for their "ugly" swings but they all had one thing in common: a great impact position.

Good luck with your lessons. Hopefully by spring you will be able to take down he who must obey.

The key to good golf is to make an even number of errors. If you make one error you are toast. If you make two errors then error #1 can compensate for error #2 and you've got a chance :)

dave

Claire,

Im not sure if this is appropriate on here, and if its not, please dont answer, but what is the pricing like for lessons at golftec? And do you feel they helped, even this early?

Thanks!

Too soon to say if this will help; golf season is a couple of months off yet here.

As for pricing, I received a very generous Christimas present. So I'm not certain. Once it starts being my nickel, I belong to an organizaiton (EWGA) that gives me a disount.

By the way Claire, you have a very nice golf bag.

Thanks--it took some doing.

Claire,

Thanks!

Here's another thread about GolfTec and the prices are listed in it. When I was there today the prices had gone up about $50 on each program.

Back to GolfTec today.

The good news is I nailed my drills.

The bad news is what happened when he put the club in my hands--old habits die hard.

We worked on really separating the upper and lower body during the takeaway--and what that feels like (and looks like, down to degrees of shoulder turn). It's one thing to hear all these terms and think you know what they mean. It's something else to have someone else use your body to show you what they really mean.

For the next two weeks I get to do 50 takeaways a day, trying to pinch my forward shoulder towards my rear knee. This is more tiring than it sounds. 14 days x 50 takeaways/day = 700 takeaways. Maybe the beginning of muscle memory.

One day at a time Claire - one day at a time. I'm so glad you're having fun.

second that
good luck with the drills
it will all pay off in the long run.You'll enjoy the power you'll get .

One day at a time Claire - one day at a time. I'm so glad you're having fun.

"Fun" was not how I felt after 50 slow takeaways in 10 minutes. But I can hope to get there.

Back