Social Levels of Forums

One thing that bothers me with any internet forum, this one included to a very small extent, (although not nearly as bad as some others) is that a new person's opinion is not valued very high just because they only have a certain amount of posts. Conversely, someone who has been a member for 5 years might not know as much about a subject as a new person, but their opinion holds more value. I have never been able to figure that out.

Bob Knight (incognito of course) could join a basketball coaches forum and he probably wouldn't get any respect until he had a certain amount of posts and time. Even though he probably has more knowledge and experience that anyone on the board.

Just because a person didn't know about forums, or didn't have a computer, or didn't have any interest in looking before, that doesn't mean they don't know anything about the topic at hand.

I agree with you. I think that is part of life though in general. When the new guys joins any group, there is that "trial period". its not fair, but it happens unfortunately.

You gotta earn your props in this life, no matter what. As a manager who has been moved to take over failing stores more than once, I have been viewed with scepticism at first. Time usually brings a different perspective, just like it will here.

Part of it for me is that there's only so many new people I can assimilate at once, particularly without the normal, in person social cues. When we were teeny and knew everyone from other fori or met them one at a time, I could keep everyone straight (no jokes at that word, please). Now, someone has to post for awhile or do something to differentiate him/herself from the stream of newcomers. That's just my poor little brain.

For me the newcomer thing is more that I am not sure they will stick around. I have posted numerous times to someone's question or comment and then realize that they never came back to the forum or never posted again. It isn't that I don't value their opinion, but I don't like starting a conversation that I can't finish. I don't think, at least here, that people look down on the newbies, we just want to know if they will be part of the family or not first.

Yeah, I hate it when people vanish for 3 months...hehe

Just kidding Soxy, good to have you back and I agree with you.

Yeah, I hate it when people vanish for 3 months...hehe

Just kidding Soxy, good to have you back and I agree with you.

Touche! But you know I will be back!!

I have enjoyed my short time here at THP. It is more of a friendly 'gathering' of people. Some of the other site I visit have a different feel. Some of the sites are great sources of information/pictures. Not always friendly but, I do have friends there. I come here to joke and chat. This site has such a friendly spirit. And the reviews here are second to none.

I will never forget the 3 night "Let's make a Deal". That showed how friendly and fun the members of THP are.

I come here to joke and chat. This site has such a friendly spirit. And the reviews here are second to none.

+1

This is one of only a few forums I belong to. I think just the info and the mods on here make this a site worth revisiting. It could seem cliquish but I think that's just a part of the virtual world. People tend to stick to who they are comfortable with and that normally takes time. The short couple of months that I have been on here have been informative and positive. It's my hope that I can relay the same informative and positive attitude that the rest of the members here have exuded through their posts.

My $.02

THP certainly is very welcoming, I still browse FGI, and find it amusing that when a noob posts a question there, no one responds. Yet when one of the annointed ones posts, everyone flocks to their thread.

On THP I am quickly becoming a reader more than a poster. I find that when we used to have a smaller amount of members almost everyones posts would be read. Now with the large volume of members we have. I find most threads are getting up to the 4th and 5th pages of the thread, and when you are a first reading that thread, are you honestly going to read all 6 pages of it? Usually I would read the last page and then post something. Between the little conversations going on completely off topic in a thread between 2 members, and all the other posts within the thread. I feel as if a true strong opinion can get mangled up within all the other posts in there. I have posted some useful information and feel that it can easily get missed with some posts in there that really veer off topic.

I also find if a person states an opinion or advice that is really good, and someone with less posts has posted just as equal value of advice, the person with more posts or who frequents the forum more will get acknowledged first, or quoted on their post.

It is bound to happen when a forum gets really big. I usually find when so many replies have been posted in a thread I just don't feel encouraged to post my views anymore. Usually I find it's the first few replies of a thread that actually get read because the viewers have to view the original topic first.

The one thing I hate most is when I take the time to compose a thoughtful post, and it ends up as the last post on a page. About half the time it never gets read because most people just click on the the "Last Page" button and never see the final post on the previous page. I don't see that there is any way to resolve it, just happens to be a peeve of mine. :confused2:

The one thing I hate most is when I take the time to compose a thoughtful post, and it ends up as the last post on a page. About half the time it never gets read because most people just click on the the "Last Page" button and never see the final post on the previous page. I don't see that there is any way to resolve it, just happens to be a peeve of mine. :confused2:

I just hit the tab that takes me to the last post I read. That way I never miss one.

I just hit the tab that takes me to the last post I read. That way I never miss one.

I do that too, but it's obvious that many don't, because you can often tell by subsequent responses that the comments you wrote were never seen by those posters. I know that some never look at anything but the last page... can't be bothered by actually reading the entire thread. They then waste time by writing irrelevant comments which are either redundant or have little to do with the current direction of the thread.

Even on long threads, I will at least try to skim through each page and get the gist of what direction the conversation has taken. Around here that can be quite far off from the OP's intent. :eek:fftopic:

Even on long threads, I will at least try to skim through each page and get the gist of what direction the conversation has taken. Around here that can be quite far off from the OP's intent. :eek:fftopic:

What are you saying, Fourputt? hehehe

What I find funny is that as THP has grown, I will be compose a post and when I hit the post button, I am 4th in line. That has got to be a good thing as traffic and members are important.

I said this to someone, but sometimes the comments and new members make me feel like Lucy running that chocolate conveyer belt--there's just no way to keep up and do it justice.

I said this to someone, but sometimes the comments and new members make me feel like Lucy running that chocolate conveyer belt--there's just no way to keep up and do it justice.
You knew I'd have to find it, didn't you Claire? hehehe

There wasn't much on her shows that wasn't very very funny.

[YOUTUBEHD]f6r2G2fmPNM[/YOUTUBEHD]

I agree and hope that can change at some point. I think it definitely scares new members away sometimes.

Sorry for the old topic reply but this is something that's been on my mind, as of late. I wouldn't say that it 'scares' new members... I think it just kind of makes us walk away out of frustration. And I am not sure how bad this was back then but it still appears to be happening. I actually took a small absence recently, somewhat due to this, but thought I would give it another shot. I do like what this place is about and hope to stay around.

Sorry for the old topic reply but this is something that's been on my mind, as of late. I wouldn't say that it 'scares' new members... I think it just kind of makes us walk away out of frustration. And I am not sure how bad this was back then but it still appears to be happening. I actually took a small absence recently, somewhat due to this, but thought I would give it another shot. I do like what this place is about and hope to stay around.

If there is specific offensive behavior, you should definitely reach out to a mod and let them know.

However, I think a lot of times the bonds people have developed on THP can come off as Cliq-y to a new comer. I really suggest trying to make it to a THP event or get together with a group of THPers in your area and see what it is all about. I think once you get that perspective, you will understand that THP really isn't all that cliq-y, it's just a group of awesome people that have developed good relationships through the site.

If there is specific offensive behavior, you should definitely reach out to a mod and let them know.

However, I think a lot of times the bonds people have developed on THP can come off as Cliq-y to a new comer. I really suggest trying to make it to a THP event or get together with a group of THPers in your area and see what it is all about. I think once you get that perspective, you will understand that THP really isn't all that cliq-y, it's just a group of awesome people that have developed good relationships through the site.

I agree with all of this...

The THP community grows every year, and new folks join and jump right in...but yeah, just like in society, at this point a lot of THP members have met and formed real friendships with other THP members. I think it is better than it used to be with inside jokes and such, and I haven't seen any specific cases of "veteran" members treating "newer" members in any exclusionary way (nor would mods allow that to go on unchecked).

I get it. I still think there are some cliques within THP. The forum has grown exponentially since this thread was originally started but at times the same feelings still exist. Having been around since before the OP was started I can tell you that while I think there are still some cliques, that it's better than it has been in years.

I remember being new, it's tough. Sometimes you feel you get lost in the shuffle. I went to my first outing and I never felt that way again. For those who can make it to THP events, I highly encourage it. You will see the forum in a completely different way after it. For those that haven't had the opportunity yet, the best thing to do is to stay active. Talk golf, get to know some of the members here. I know it may not be easy, but it's definitely worth it.

As for things that may bother you on the site. Never hesitate to talk to a member of the staff. I know all our inboxes are open to hear from people.

Many of us have met each other. Been to events and competitions together. There has been a lot of bonding. I know there are cliques on THP. But I can say, those cliques always want new members. As much fun as shiny new equipment is, new friends are much more awesome.

Social Levels of Forums

Having just attended my first event I & can say that this place is as welcoming as all get out. First day warming up on the range and Jank, #Cookie & JMan were all around me. The banter and conversation was like we were long time friends. Really cool to see that bc I was wondering how events are and how new guys get on.

All I can say is jump in, be genuine & friends will be made.

Having recently attended my first event, I will say that I noticed people are better friends with some people than others, but that is to be expected. As an example, I noticed cookie and jman talking to each other a lot because they are good friends, but whenever some (myself included) came to talk to them, they always welcomed the new person into the conversation and were very including. For me, I had to get out of my comfort zone and approach new people, but to expect everyone to come start a conversation with me is unreasonable.

I will also say that meeting people in person makes me a lot more comfortable talking to them on the forums because the connection is another level deeper now. I don't think I ever had a meaningful back and forth with Mike G before the adams event, but sharing a dinner with him and getting to know him, I find myself paying even more attention to his posts and wanting to respond. Same thing with a lot of the guys who were in Dallas.

Simple fact is the more you know someone the more likely you are to talk to them, and if you want to get to know people, you have to make an effort and put yourself out there, can't expect people to come to you.

This may be a little bit of a controversial topic and I hope this doesn't turn into something nasty, but this is The Paradise and I think we are a higher bunch than the typical forum has.

It seems to me that most people here are genuinely here to have a civil discussion about golf and whatever else they find interesting. I have seen a few on here who seemed to have other intentions, but people still seemed to treat them with more respect than I usually see in forum goers. I have been trying to figure this out. Is it because golf is a game that is held to higher standards (only in golf and ultimate frisbee have I seen such integrity in the sportsmanship)? Is it because this family is still relatively small (1500 something members is fantastic for just a little over a year, but still not giant)? Is it because the forum owners are so active and take great pride in their ownership therefore setting a culture of tolerance and politeness? What makes this place so special? What is amazing is that I think I have only seen about 6 or 7 people ever banned from this place. In my old forums it seemed that 6-7 were banned every hour.

I think it all comes down to those that started the site and still run it today. I've been a member at other golf forums before coming here and people were getting banned left and right. Here there is very little need to drop the ban hammer, but it has to be done from time to time. It all comes down to the people running the site and what we as members come to expect of others.

Attack the subject, but never the person. Very plain basic rule. To those that don't like that very basic thought, let me know and I can recommend a couple of other golf forums for ya!

Back