Good Reason Not To Golf

provisional

Could Care Less
Reaction score
Handicap
10+/-
I found myself in a difficult situation yesterday. Early this week, I golf at a course "Desert Rose" where the greens are absolutely terrible. Little sprouts of grass causing a bumpy surface, and other areas that appear to be infected with fungus. What ever is wrong the putting surface is next to impossible to putt on, and expect the ball to hold it's line.

I was at the driving range working on a few things, tuning up my swing so to speak. Some golfing buddies showed up unexpectedly, and ask if I was going out. I told them no, not today. It was an "oh well, too bad, see you next time" type of thing.

I have a short golf road trip coming up next week where I will be playing on some very well cared for greens. The word "immaculate" comes to mind when describing these out of town greens. This close to that trip my thought process was to stay off the poor greens, so as not pick up any bad habits that might/would carry over to those well manicured greens I will be playing on next week. Even the fairways are in much better condition. Next week's 4 rounds is under actual tournament play conditions, and for the $500 entry fee, I want to play well all 4 rounds.

So have you ever not played a round of golf due to course conditions? :bananadance:

I haven't not played because of the conditions but I've sworn to never go back to a couple of courses. Oh and I bitched about the conditions the entire round and told them at the clubhouse what a dump I thought it was. If I hear some good things about the course I'll eventually go back but it will take awhile.

Yuppp! Bad fairways don't bother me all that much. The greens though...

Some of the muni's here have greens that are one third dead/one third alive/one third mix of dirt & weeds. I've played those courses once, and NEVER plan on going back. According to older reviews of the guilty courses, the conditions have been the same for the past 10+ years.

No I haven't not played because of conditions.I'll even go back to one that's terrible because of the deal to be had.It's all good to me.After all I'm golfing and not doing chores.

There's a little 9 hole course here that reminds me of what you were describing. The greens are awful and probably do more harm than good. However, the father in law got back into golf last year after a 21 year hiatus so we would meet at this goat track every tuesday after work and walk the 9 holes. It was good b/c there wasn't anyone else out there so he could hit multiple balls. I hit off the tee and hit approach shots but didn't putt at all. I would chip and pitch and just work on stuff. It was a great way to spend some time with him, not hold anyone up, and go through the routine of keeping the ball in play off of the tee and out of the fairways.

I could see why you didn't want to play though. I'm sure if you weren't about to indulge in some tour quality courses you probably would've joined up with your buddies.

I still played when the course was bad, I've just never played that course again!!

No I haven't, but I've never been in your position (you lucky guy)!

But, I think you did the right thing. It sounds like that course could really mess up your putting stroke especially with regard to speed. You would be better off practicing you putting at home. :)

Good luck and have fun!

Sounds like you need to find another home course Prov.

I would have played the course,just not putt.You would have gotten some good practice in by just playing the course.Chipping,pitching,hitting GIR's and FWY's would have done you some good.

I would have played the course,just not putt.You would have gotten some good practice in by just playing the course.Chipping,pitching,hitting GIR's and FWY's would have done you some good.
That's what I do on the crap course with $15 green fees.

So have you ever not played a round of golf due to course conditions? :bananadance:

Never have. I believe in the principle that you play the course as you find it. However, such a poorly maintained course would never be my home course. I have played courses that I wouldn't normally choose to play. One was an after work league that was organized by someone else. The course was chosen as being more or less centrally located. I've also played that course in the dead of winter when it was the only one open.

That may go far in explaining why it tends to be in poor shape. When you plow the snow off the fairways and shovel off the greens, it can't be good on the turf. :rolleyes:

I play all over town. DR is just close to my home, and has a convienient practice area. Part of their green problem is one that was left over by American Golf. But I am also beginning to believe that Billy Casper group who now has it, is also getting a little lax in their up keep. I play more rounds at Las Vegas National than I do DR. LVN is in good shape. Funny thing is DR is one of the busiest courses in the valley due their less expensive green fees. Lot's of senior golfers play there.
Sounds like you need to find another home course Prov.

I won't play a course that's so bad anymore. Life's too short to let things like that upset me (and they do) My other peeve is summers here, when the fairway is hard as concrete, I won't play those courses anymore either.

Higher green fees to play better courses means less golf for me, but an overall more enjoyable experience.

Prov, you have to consider that today I sit here with a good 2 feet of snow covering every inch of my home course so with all due respect, I'm finding it hard to have much sympathy for you and your bumpy greens!

I do know what you mean though, our courses are brutal in the early spring after they first open, it really makes you wonder why you bother until the grass is steadily growing and the mowers have been out. But usually just hitting the shots and not paying too much attention to putting performance is how I get thru it. In your situation I can see how you wouldn't want to putt that garbage then go to the immaculate greens to come, you could just putt once and pick it up (obviously not really keeping a legit score).

Keep us posted on the trip!!! I want details and pics, I'm dying here man!

I suppose I should also add that Desert Rose is not the only course in town that has poor green surfaces. I have probably golfed on 10 different courses in town since the beginning of October, and very few of those were 90% or better. All the courses fairways are in great shape I have been on. We had some pretty rough weather during the over seeding time frame that really took it's toll. That said, I still believe all the courses in the valley i have played could do a better job on greens up keep.

As I've mentioned, I have two home courses. Last summer both courses aerated thier greens, but fortunately at different times so I could avoid playing on that surface.

The real reason I will skip a round of golf is that oftentimes in the summer here in the high desert, we get real nasty winds. I'm talking constant 40+ mph winds, with gusts over 60. I've tried playing a few times in this, but I usually end up losing a ton of balls. Usually only happens a few times a season.

So have you ever not played a round of golf due to course conditions?

My friends and I like to take field trips to try different courses - usually courses with much higher greens fees than what we play on a weekly basis. We have learned to call in advance - if they've recently aerated or anything is under repair - we find another course for that field trip. Playing my local aerated muni is one thing - traveling and paying $$$ to play one is another.

I have played on courses in awful conditions, but I usually don't go back. I have a pet peeve about not being told about aeration/repairs when I am the phone with them for the tee time. I have had that happen a couple of times and even though they offered reduced rates, I did not drive 2 hours to play a course like that.

I have stayed away when I knew that my always wet course was going to be too wet.

I have stayed away when I knew that my always wet course was going to be too wet.

Me too. Cart path only sucks.

I can handle that. Losing a ball under the fairway is what bothers me!

I had that happen this year at golf league, came up short on an approach and nearly had to take a lost ball penalty.:confused2:

I can never understand why people don't just walk when it's cart path only.

Because lugging a bunch of beer around is easier in a cart, besides as long as you keep your shots to the cart side of the fairway it's not bad.

Because lugging a bunch of beer around is easier in a cart, besides as long as you keep your shots to the cart side of the fairway it's not bad.

Winter seems to have addled more than a few brains around here. Seriously, I think cart path golf slows play.

Back