sherwoodnatl

Reaction score
Handicap
As you can see i have 13 clubs in the bag. The gaps in my wedges are fine (short game is my strongest part and i am totally comfortable with 1/2 swings etc.)
Has anyone had a Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood set? Was the 5 wood useful at all? Or should i leave it at 13 clubs?

I think it would depend on what your gaps are for your woods and long irons as to whether you need a 5 wood. What is the distance gap between your 3 wood and your 3 hybrid? i think that any more than about 15 yards you might want to look at a 5 wood. but that is just my personal opion.I carry one and it has become my go to club on many holes on my home course.

I use that setup, and it does help my game. My #4 utility wood plays like a standard 5 wood, was having a hard time finding the matching 5 wood for the 4DX set.

For me it bridges the gap between my #3 hybrid and 3 wood nicely.

I carry a 5w, as I don't carry a 3i or 3h, so it fits in pretty good between my 3w and 4h.

I use a 5w all the time as I dont even use my driver most of the time(have yet to find one i really like) the 3w and 5w come in handy alot.

I have my 5w set up to play a bit more like an iron though with the stiffest shaft you can probably get....the BiMatrix Rocket by true temper. I also really like to use it out of the sand on fairway traps that have a very low lip.

I use my extra hybrid as a 5 wood it seems to work for me and it was free :)

I would think it depends on the course that you are playing,on some an extra wedge comes in handy,in others a 5 or a 7 wood could be in the bag.

As you can see i have 13 clubs in the bag. The gaps in my wedges are fine (short game is my strongest part and i am totally comfortable with 1/2 swings etc.)
Has anyone had a Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood set? Was the 5 wood useful at all? Or should i leave it at 13 clubs?

You are allowed to carry 14 so why not carry as many as you can? For me it depends on where I am playing. I use a 5w for shots that will stop and stay on the green in the 230 -240 range and there aren't many times I need it except for a course with a couple of really long par 3s or 5s or when there are a lot of short and narrow par 4s. My normal bag includes driver and 3w along with a 19* hybrid that is about 10 yards short of my 5w, 4 - PW and usually 3 other wedges, 52, 56 and 60 - sometimes I will drop the 52 and 56 and carry just a 54 which gives me a wider gap but is not really a big problem. I use my 60 for 90 percent of the shots I hit from inside 100 yards anyway.

Driver-265
3 wood- 240+ (like 242)
3 Hyb- 220
4 Hyb- 200

Need 5 wood for 230?

It would really depend on what courses you are playing. It would also depend on what kind of gap you have between your 50* wedge and your 58* wedge. As scoring clubs, I would rather go with a 54* wedge, but that is just for my personal game. I stopped carrying a 3 wood and went straight from driver to 5 wood.

I honestly dont need a 14th club. I could play any course and be comfortable with what i have and really wouldnt miss a particular club.
If i was looking to fill out my bag, it would probably be a 5 wood though.

There's really not a big gap between your hybrid and 3 wood. You should be able to choke down an inch or 2 and take a normal swing and hit it 230.

I guess the question you should ask is what part of your game do you think you could improve with an addition of a club. Would a niblick help your consistently with chipping? Maybe a "goto" club off the tee... shortened driver, strong 3 wood, lower lofted hybrid... Maybe a 64* wedge for around the greens to help get up and down if you short side yourself.

You could do what Mickelson did and carry two drivers.

Or get a long putter for dropping purposes.

What degree is your 3 hybrid? I've not looked at a lot of them, but seems like a lot of them range from 18* to 21*. I get about the same or a few yards more out of my #3 TM Rescue hybrid and am more consistant with it. It seem's to have a much more penetrating flight, so I was able to add my 42* niblick. Now if I get rid of the 9 iron I can add something else. (No wonder my game jumps around so much, lol).

I honestly dont need a 14th club. I could play any course and be comfortable with what i have and really wouldnt miss a particular club.
If i was looking to fill out my bag, it would probably be a 5 wood though.

Well, you do have that huge 202* gap between your CG12 and your Vokey:

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 50.10 w/ S200 shaft - Titleist Vokey 258.12 w/ Dynamic Gold .

:D

there's no need to carry 14 just for the sake of having 14 in the bag if some of the clubs are basically duplicates of each other

(in all honesty though, I have a 19 hybrid and 3 iron that go about the same distance, but the trajectories are very different, I love that 19 hybrid for bombing at greens from distance, as long as it's not into the wind)

since you already have a 3 hybrid, I think that would take the place of a 5w pretty well

Hahaha.
Your like the 3rd person to comment on that
Its because its a Vokey 200 series...it is pretty confusing

http://www.golfhq.com/catalog/images/Tour%20Chrome%20256-10%20Spring%202005.jpg

Ask yourself this; How many times have you needed a club for 230 yards? What is the yardage of your 3W when you grip it 1 or 2 inches farther down the shaft?That would tell you if you need the 5 wood or not. I carry one, and use it maybe once or twice a round. A lot of times I don't use it at all. I use my 3W, and 7W many more times than my 5W. Just the way my game plays out on most of the courses I play on.
Driver-265
3 wood- 240+ (like 242)
3 Hyb- 220
4 Hyb- 200

Need 5 wood for 230?

Im not sure ill even get a 14th club. For me the 45 50 58 wedges work fine and i really dont need any bigger clubs. Looks like 13 is my lucky number

Im not sure ill even get a 14th club. For me the 45 50 58 wedges work fine and i really dont need any bigger clubs. Looks like 13 is my lucky number

How about a specialty club like a TM Raylor?

If it works for you, leave it a 13.

The 5 wood is very useful. Helps in the ranges of 220-230. I find myself using on the course more than my 3 wood.

I carry driver, 3w and 5w. I started to lose all confidence with my 3w and the 5w became a great club off the tee for me. I get similar distance with the 5w as I do my hybrid but I use the hybrid when lies get dicey (rough, fairway bunker) I'm thinking of not carrying a 3w and adding another wedge as my short game is definitely stronger for me

choke down 3 wood about and inch and the distance wise will like a 3 wood with flatter flight. It works for me. Any thoughts?

Back