What Should I Do?

Steel President

Reaction score
Handicap
Alright, so I'm going to have to make a bit of decision in my life soon. Here's the scenario:

I've all but been offered an opportunity to serve as a football graduate assistant at the University of Pittsburgh. Now, for those who are unfamiliar with football GA's, well, they're a highly, highly coveted position (especially at the Division 1 level). I'd be working with a position that I'm comfortable with and it could open up the opportunity to make one heck of a career coaching football. I'm the perfect age to do it - I'm 23 and single. Would I regret passing up on this opportunity?

I'm currently a middle school history teacher and I coach high school football at one of the better programs around. I have a blast and love what I'm doing.

The GA position is a once-in-a-lifetime type of offer but, obviously, I'd go from making really solid money to making a meager stipend (and have my education, meals, clothing, etc. all paid for as well).

What would you do? Pursue the 'dream' of making football my full-time living or stick with the safe, comfortable position that I'm currently enjoying?

Tough call. So, I figured I'd see what advice THP had to offer.

At your age that's a no-brainer to me. Take the opportunity. As long as you can afford to pay your bills of course.

If you can make enough to pay your bills and not starve, do it! You're young and not tied down so this could be your best opportunity to do what you really want to do.

The stipend would be enough to pay my bills - I also have a little stashed away.

I do still live at home with my father but with the hours I'd put in I'd have to find some sort of small apartment.

You're young. I wouldn't pass the opportunity up. You have the rest of your life to work a boring job. But if you pass up the GA position, you will spend the rest of your days wondering "what if?"

I look back at a few opportunities I passed up at your age and really regret them. Things that have really changed the course I took in my career(s) that I skipped for no more reason than being chicken. I vote yes.

Take the opportunity. That really shouldn't even be a question in my mind based on your current scenario.

My best friend is 47 and risking a lot more than that by quitting his six figure a year job with his father in laws company (where he has been since 1985) to open a Maaco franchise. No better time than now to try something with minimal risk.

Yeah, just about everyone has been telling me that it's a no-brainer.

And I tend to think that they're probably right. However, I do teach at a wonderful, wonderful district. It's a tough place to get a job. And our football program has experienced tremendous success.

But, yeah, I don't know that I could live with the 'what-if' forever looming.

As long as you can pay for everything you need, ABSOLUTELY. Unless teaching middle school is your other life's dream besides coaching football, in which case it becomes a tougher decision. But as others have said, you have to think about if you will regret doing it for the rest of your life. I know I would, so I say go for it!

You are 23. Do you really think you are going to stay at your current position for 40 years until retirement? Maybe. But more than likely this is a stop along the way on life's journey.

It is completely normal to fear change. Take the job.

if you do not do it - you will forever wonder what if!!

If coaching football is what you want to do it, I say go for it no doubt. If you decide you want to go back to a high school level I would think having a graduate degree and coaching experience at a major D1 program would really open up doors for you in both teaching and coaching at the HS level, but it also opens up the collegiate and pro career to you. It sounds like a great career move to me.

I would definitely do it. Sounds like a fantastic opportunity at this time in your life, and there will always be other teaching jobs.

Ask yourself this..... If you don't go for it will you regret it in 10 years time? If so there is your answer.

I know very little about big time college sports. Just isn't a thing here. But it seems to me that if you take the position, even if it doesn't work out, that would be a definite resume builder going forward, never mind whatever contacts you might make. I really don't see the downside for you here.

Seriously, guys, thanks for the advice. I almost expected the responses that I'm receiving but it's nice to hear it come from other people. I'm not a person that does 'change' particularly well so it'd be quite a splurge for me.

I don't know jack about football but if it could lead to a position down the road coaching its a no brainer.

Seriously, guys, thanks for the advice. I almost expected the responses that I'm receiving but it's nice to hear it come from other people. I'm not a person that does 'change' particularly well so it'd be quite a splurge for me.

Unless there are other considerations you are leaving out, it seems like a definite "GO" to me. I'm excited for you man.

I was roomates with a kid who was a trainer for our D1 football program. I know the experience opened up a lot of doors for him and while the hours and pay sucked he was able to network and beef up his resume. As long as you know you can do it and you are comfortable with the job itself, the kind of oppertunity and experience you will gain is invaluable. Go for it.

At your age that's a no-brainer to me. Take the opportunity. As long as you can afford to pay your bills of course.

^^^^ this....

Ask yourself this..... If you don't go for it will you regret it in 10 years time? If so there is your answer.

^^^^ and this too...

I would love to have a shot at making my dreams come true rather than looking back 10 years from now and wondering "what if..."

Work hard...learn a lot and GA spots can quickly turn into position coach spots.

Work hard...learn a lot and GA spots can quickly turn into position coach spots.

Exactly. That's my thought..and all of a sudden I'm making six figures to coach football.

exactly what I was going to say...if you can cover your bills then its not even a question....go for it!

Not really much to add here, but yes, at your age and without any wife/family to provide for, this is your shot at doing it. If it's really your dream, then yes, you really need to go for it IMO. I can't tell you how many things I wish I'd done at your age, before marriage and kids. Since you're 23 and haven't been teaching long, I'm assuming you're not tenured and may not have the option of a year's sabbatical, but some districts offer that and it might be worth looking into as an option. If you're on good terms with the school and administration, I'd talk to them openly about your idea, how much it means to you and see if you can't at least leave that door cracked open in case you need it in the future.

Back