2012 Scotty Staff Bag

Pay to play is why SO many play them on tour. That said, people seeing them like you drive a market for ALL of the "special" headcovers, ball markers, divot tools, and any random trinket he puts out as "limited edition". That's genius. He doesn't need to advertise in magazines, its to the point now where the collectors feed the market and he feeds the collectors. He basically prints his own money, that is a marketing genius IMO.
I had forgotten about the headcovers. That is a big part to the selling for sure.

I love some of the HCs he has AM&E make. If I were going to collect anything it would be the headcovers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A lot of if's there, but I'm in the same boat.
Sweet bag
It is such a sweet bag. If I were a club cameron member and didn't mind paying the excessive price to buy it, I'd totally game it.

Ill never disagree that Scotty rips off designs. Hell, when that thread came up, I was in there bashing scotty too. But when he makes something nice, give credit where credit is due. And when bashing is due, do that!

JRod and Jman (and anyone else), I keep hearing that SC is a marketing genius but you never see his putters on commercials or much print media which is typical of someone getting ahead with a marketing idea. I know most of my SC interest came from seeing players on the tour playing with them. I'm just curious about what is it that SC is doing to make him a marketing genius? Word of mouth? Professional players? His own reputation being told by others?

Thanks!

You answered your own question.

I've had the same Scotty Cameron putter since 2002, and I'll probably always have as it's been the best putter I've ever owned. That said, I'm not against any other putter manufacturer, but if it came down to it and I was deciding on 2 putters that performed equally for me, I'd choose the Scotty over the other manufacturer (whoever that may be). And the reason is simply because I know the quality of Scotty putters from my own personal experience.

There are so many great manufacturers out there that I don't see why anybody is upset that Scotty has a huge following. SeeMore is gaining more and more fans, in a few years are people going to be complaining about SeeMore followers being a cult and doing rediculous things?

Honest question here, what is the difference between spending $1k+ on a Limited edition Bettinardi or Lajosi putter versus spending $1k+ on a limited edition Scotty putter?

Honest question here, what is the difference between spending $1k+ on a Limited edition Bettinardi or Lajosi putter versus spending $1k+ on a limited edition Scotty putter?
Simple economics my friend, appreciation and return :)

Simple economics my friend, appreciation and return :)

Was more or less wondering why the Bettinardi's that sell for that amount don't get scoffed at like the Scotty's do. Usually if a Scotty sells for that it's simply because of the "Scotty cult". Is there a Bettinardi cult that I just don't hear about?

Was more or less wondering why the Bettinardi's that sell for that amount don't get scoffed at like the Scotty's do. Usually if a Scotty sells for that it's simply because of the "Scotty cult". Is there a Bettinardi cult that I just don't hear about?

Ding Ding Ding.

Bettinardis dont get the tour usage that Scottys do. Bettinardi isnt connected to Elitist Titleist.

So if there a difference between a $1000 Betty and a $1000 Cameron? I don't see why someone would scoff at a Cameron of that price and not a Betty?

So if there a difference between a $1000 Betty and a $1000 Cameron? I don't see why someone would scoff at a Cameron of that price and not a Betty?

Because people like betti around here more dude, and rightfully so. Betti supports THP.

Some would argue product quality vs cult-like demand in terms of pricing too.

First, Lajosi is no where near 1k, but thats for another thread.

As far as Betti and such, it is a collector group that drives it, like Scotty, but they are no where as outlandish as Scotty users can be. NOW, that is NOT all Scotty users, some roll them because they work the best for them and I love that, others though roll them because the simply are a Scotty and nothing more. Its the cultists that are the ones that give it a bad name to others, the pushers, the ones who will tell you to your face if you aren't rolling a Cameron then you are missing out because nothing out there is better. Every group has those, but with scotty they are louder and more brazen than any other. To me personally that is the ULTIMATE turn off to them.

First, Lajosi is no where near 1k, but thats for another thread.

As far as Betti and such, it is a collector group that drives it, like Scotty, but they are no where as outlandish as Scotty users can be. NOW, that is NOT all Scotty users, some roll them because they work the best for them and I love that, others though roll them because the simply are a Scotty and nothing more. Its the cultists that are the ones that give it a bad name to others, the pushers, the ones who will tell you to your face if you aren't rolling a Cameron then you are missing out because nothing out there is better. Every group has those, but with scotty they are louder and more brazen than any other. To me personally that is the ULTIMATE turn off to them.

Well, I'm probably wrong on the Lajosi pricing as I only go by what I've seen on these forums, which usually seemed to be in the higher end of the pricing scale for putters. I made an assumption that there were some "rare" ones that would go for 1k+. That's my mistake and sorry for that.

Thing I just don't get is what is considered "outlandish"? Isn't it all relative? I mean the bigger the following the more demand there is going to be for certain items. I'm not much of a collector, so I think spending over $500 for any golf club is kind of ridiculous, but at the same time respect that other people have different priorities/interests than me.

And by the way, I'm with you 100% on the subject of people pushing products on you. It's one thing to suggest someone try out a certain product, but to ridicule someone for not doing it is just not acceptable.

Well, I'm probably wrong on the Lajosi pricing as I only go by what I've seen on these forums, which usually seemed to be in the higher end of the pricing scale for putters. I made an assumption that there were some "rare" ones that would go for 1k+. That's my mistake and sorry for that.

Thing I just don't get is what is considered "outlandish"? Isn't it all relative? I mean the bigger the following the more demand there is going to be for certain items. I'm not much of a collector, so I think spending over $500 for any golf club is kind of ridiculous, but at the same time respect that other people have different priorities/interests than me.

And by the way, I'm with you 100% on the subject of people pushing products on you. It's one thing to suggest someone try out a certain product, but to ridicule someone for not doing it is just not acceptable.

We're on the same page dude. I agree on the outlandish remark and that's why I think Scotty IS a marketing genius, if someone is willing to pay it then OF COURSE as a business man you are going to charge it, ya know? Its all in the eye of the beholder in the end.

For me its the pushers as to why I've never owned a Scotty. I could have EASILY rolled a Laguna2, but, its the turn off of all the cultists that drove me away. Hell, I really like the way the GoLo S feels/rolls, but it won't ever happen for the same exact reason as the Laguna.

In the end its buy what ya like and play what is best for your game. To hell with the rest, its just a shame so many aren't willing to do that.

I love this discussion, its a good back and forth up in here!

Because people like betti around here more dude, and rightfully so. Betti supports THP.

Some would argue product quality vs cult-like demand in terms of pricing too.

So if SC supported THP he'd be liked in here? So minus the cult aspect of Cameron and the fact/opinion that everything he does is a ripoff, if you take that away, would you like Cameron.

And what I mean by the ripoff comment is that a majority of the putters out there are imitations/variations of something else out there or the PING Anser.

dy2uva3u.jpg

a2y4yzyd.jpg

These look very similar to me. But I guess Cameron ripped of the Betti look?

We're on the same page dude. I agree on the outlandish remark and that's why I think Scotty IS a marketing genius, if someone is willing to pay it then OF COURSE as a business man you are going to charge it, ya know? Its all in the eye of the beholder in the end.

For me its the pushers as to why I've never owned a Scotty. I could have EASILY rolled a Laguna2, but, its the turn off of all the cultists that drove me away. Hell, I really like the way the GoLo S feels/rolls, but it won't ever happen for the same exact reason as the Laguna.

In the end its buy what ya like and play what is best for your game. To hell with the rest, its just a shame so many aren't willing to do that.

I love this discussion, its a good back and forth up in here!
Jman, do you think it also has to do with the price point of a SC? People think they are getting a better product because it's more than the "average" putter line cost?

So if SC supported THP he'd be liked in here? So minus the cult aspect of Cameron and the fact/opinion that everything he does is a ripoff, if you take that away, would you like Cameron.

And what I mean by the ripoff comment is that a majority of the putters out there are imitations/variations of something else out there or the PING Anser.

dy2uva3u.jpg

a2y4yzyd.jpg

Those look nothing alike. Read back, credit was given for the GoLo, its the FIRST time he's had a successful looking design of his own unlike the Futura/Detour. Besides, its WAY more documented than just the Anser design. But I digress.

You like them, that's good. I don't, that's good too.

Jman, do you think it also has to do with the price point of a SC? People think they are getting a better product because it's more than the "average" putter line cost?
Sadly, I do. And the thing is, the off the shelf models are no better than the Cleveland Classic models IMO. In the end its play with what breeds confidence, but so many don't realize those sticks were NOT handled by Scotty himself. Hell, for right about the price of one of those I can get a full on customer to my spec's and desires. In the end its all on the individual!

First off I wont get into the Cameron argument as a whole, but it is more than "supporting THP" when that is said. People like to try before they buy. Some like to do so in the incredibly unique aspect known as the Ultimate Weekend of Golf. Where almost every putter manufacturer out there has tools out there for people to try out.

One company chooses not to participate in this lineup and because of that, some would rather go elsewhere. It's their choice, just as its yours to decide who you will support and purchase from right?

Why else does someone choose equipment such as putter? We hear because of sound, feel, availability, custom options, etc...Where if those are the "real" reasons, then why not choose the one that you get to test out on the course?

There's so much more that goes into "support" than you're thinking. A la what JB just said.

People hear the word support and think advertising has a role in this. Couldn't be further from the truth. Case in point.
Taylormade and thoughts on their clubs, yet they are an advertiser.
Callaway, Nike & Cobra and thoughts on their clubs, yet they are not an advertiser.

The anti-establishment view by some, is always amusing (not directed at anybody here), because facts can be found if one wants to search rather than throw accusations.

Again, not something directed at anybody here.

dy2uva3u.jpg

a2y4yzyd.jpg

I'm surprised you used the GoLo as an example. That Betti is very similar to the Studio Design #5 that came out in 03...

images

First off I wont get into the Cameron argument as a whole, but it is more than "supporting THP" when that is said. People like to try before they buy. Some like to do so in the incredibly unique aspect known as the Ultimate Weekend of Golf. Where almost every putter manufacturer out there has tools out there for people to try out.

One company chooses not to participate in this lineup and because of that, some would rather go elsewhere. It's their choice, just as its yours to decide who you will support and purchase from right?

Why else does someone choose equipment such as putter? We hear because of sound, feel, availability, custom options, etc...Where if those are the "real" reasons, then why not choose the one that you get to test out on the course?

I hear you when it comes to that JB, I do! That fact that SC doesn't support things like the Demo weekend or the MC really does bother me. I don't see the downside in supporting something like that but should they be excluded from consideration when selecting equipment?

I'm surprised you used the GoLo as an example. That Betti is very similar to the Studio Design #5 that came out in 03...

images

Yea, forgot about that model. No flash on the iPad so I went with the first thing I could compare the Betti to. Good find!

Back