Cleveland Black Driver - Everything You Wanted to Know

I think that is part because Nate is THE guy that produces it. He probably needs a proper introduction next time he is on the show, but what many dont realize is that Nate is one of the brightest minds in the golf business.
As I was listening to him just rattle off model numbers and swing weights and everything I was very impressed with the level of knowledge he has. Makes a little sense knowing that he's not just a PR guy or a guy who works in sales or something, but he's really involved in the actual production of the equipment. Great stuff!

As I was listening to him just rattle off model numbers and swing weights and everything I was very impressed with the level of knowledge he has. Makes a little sense knowing that he's not just a PR guy or a guy who works in sales or something, but he's really involved in the actual production of the equipment. Great stuff!

Yeah Nate is one of the best R&D people in the business. So many around the other OEMs have come from working with Nate. His background is incredible and his knowledge is clearly that dynamic.

Wow! That was a great show! It's nice to know that the Black driver isn't just a better looking alternative to the XL270, but a different club altogether. Now I want to hit this club all the more to see if it might be even better for me than the 270 has been, and the 270 has been fantastic.

great show and lots of useful information.

Really enjoyed the show today. I think my favorite part was understanding the difference between the ultralite series and the black series. Being that I have never had anyone talk about my tempo or really analyze my swing it makes me wonder which driver would really be the best for me. I love my XL 270 but I am definitely open to giving the black a whirl.

I think that is part because Nate is THE guy that produces it. He probably needs a proper introduction next time he is on the show, but what many dont realize is that Nate is one of the brightest minds in the golf business.

That is a great idea, JB. I'd love to hear a few minutes about Nate's background and theories from the man himself next time you have a THP Radio opportunity with him! He seems like one of those engineers or techies that has that extra gift of explaining complex topics in clear non-technical terms. (Which as an IT guy, I value immensely.)

This seems like the first driver to admittedly be made to target a specific golfer. Other drivers are put on the market touting the usual "goes farther, goes straighter" ads, leaving it up to the consumer to figure it out. Still need a fitting and all, but at least higher swing speed golfers "need not apply."

Listening to this now....I could listen to Nate and JB talk clubs all day

Being a player with a slow swing speed, the new Cleveland line really interests me. The only concern I have about this new driver is the higher spin rate which helps get the ball up and supposedly makes it go further. I used to play the R9 and hit it well but the ball did not roll out well for me at all because of the higher spin. The SL290 that I now play has a great roll out in comparison. I'm wondering how the Black Driver will work out for me in that respect. I should get a chance to compare these two on the launch monitor next month. Really interested to see the findings.

Enjoyed the radio show. Interesting about irons vs hybrids vs fairway woods depending on player. No wonder I prefer fairway woods over hybrids when you get to the lower lofts!

I think that is a valid concern Kelly. I think the length of the shaft is what concerns me the most. I fear big nasty slices.

I think that is a valid concern Kelly. I think the length of the shaft is what concerns me the most. I fear big nasty slices.

Normally I would share the same concern kev. But After playing the 46 inch shaft in the RH for the last few months I'm not too worried.

I can slice a Driver with the best of them, I dont recall having a single slice when I was hitting the Black driver. My miss with the Black driver was to the left.

I can slice a Driver with the best of them, I dont recall having a single slice when I was hitting the Black driver. My miss with the Black driver was to the left.

I think that is where the weighting in the rear of the head helping to square up the club face really comes into play. The longer shaft is a concern for me as well given that I cut my current driver shaft to 44 or 45 inches (can't remember offhand) but less of a concern now after hearing some early feedback and the weighting of the head.

Damn I keep trying to talk myself out of this purchase and then you guys shoot my reasons to not buy all up. wtc! lol

Damn I keep trying to talk myself out of this purchase and then you guys shoot my reasons to not buy all up. wtc! lol

Who are you trying to kid? You know you're going to be all over this Driver. It works, it looks good, and has a sweet headcover.

Even if we told you not to buy it, you'd still flirt with it and eventually bring it home. Why fight it? Haha

Who are you trying to kid? You know you're going to be all over this Driver. It works, it looks good, and has a sweet headcover.

Two out of three is usually god enough.

Just listened. Very interesting show. Really want to hit this beast.

Might have to give this driver a look now when it becomes available. Will be interesting to see if it performs as well as it looks.

Have to say again how much I enjoy having industry experts on ITR. Nothing like a little pondering fuel in addition to having a chance to increase my knowledge.

This driver seems tailor made for me: smooth tempo, low 90s SS and I prefer a high, straight trajectory but so did the SL270/SL290 and the length and light weight wreaked all kinds of havoc for me when I demo'd them. Sounds like the same issue would exist with the Black as well. I understand that length and weight are offset by "balance" and maintaining equivalent swing weighting but the swing path at 46+ inches is not the same as the swing path at 44.5 from my personal experience. This is one very bad looking piece of equipment however! Thanks Nate for taking the time to elaborate at THP.

For all the talk of the driver being too long, if someone feels that way, why not have it cut down?

I mean I guess I would say this about every single driver on the market right now since most are getting towards these lengths or passed them.

For all the talk of the driver being too long, if someone feels that way, why not have it cut down?

I mean I guess I would say this about every single driver on the market right now since most are getting towards these lengths or passed them.

I thought about that when I posted a little bit earlier. What I did not know offhand was that for those that had tried this so far with very good success was that if their existing shaft length was shorter than this and that is one of the reasons they were seeing the distance gains.

I thought about that when I posted a little bit earlier. What I did not know offhand was that for those that had tried this so far with very good success was that if their existing shaft length was shorter than this and that is one of the reasons they were seeing the distance gains.

The Superfast is a little bit longer.

Back