Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

Hey everybody I just got back from the course and it was another very windy day, instead of 40-50mph like it was yesterday it was 20-30 today and it was a big struggle for me today with the Heavy Wood. I had a brain fart or something and for some odd reason I didnt hit the Heavy Wood on the range like I usually do, its normally the first club I hit to get warmed up. I struggled with my swing all morning, just couldnt get in a good rhythm. I ended up using the Heavy Wood 2 times today and both shots were very bad.

Shot 1- Par 4 295 yard dogleg left with tons of trees left and right, all I wanted to do is find the fairway on this hole, I really didnt care how far out it was. The wind was howling from right to left and I ended up hitting a low snap hook that left me in a mess of trees, took 2 shots to get back out into the fairway from there and I ended up having a tripple bogey on this hole! EPIC FAIL!

Shot 2- Par 3 200 yards with trees and OB left and trees right with a frontside bunker, the wind was directly in my face on this hole which didnt bother me to much since I am usually a little long on this hole anyway with the Heavy Wood, I aimed for the middle of the green and hit a chunky monkey right and took a penalty stroke from not being able to find my ball in the thousands of leaves. I ended up makey a bogey which wasnt to bad from the spot I was in. Another EPIC FAIL lol.

Overall it just wasnt my day out there, ended up with a +10 45 which is the worst I have shot in awhile. Could this be from not hitting the Heavy Wood on the range like I usually do? I think it is IMO. I wasnt able to get into that good rhythm and my tempo was just horrible, I attribute that to not warming up with the Heavy Wood.

Owch! We've all been there 10Y. I'm hoping to play Tuesday or Wednesday and get rid of the last bad mojo-round I had.

Used the Boccieri twice yesterday off of the tee and took 2 penalty strokes for balls in the water.

Obviously wasnt the clubs fault lol, I was slicing everything off of the tee as evident by the 8 penalty strokes that I took in the PM round. Wasnt able to use it out of the rough at all, mainly cause I managed to find myself in the deep stuff all day long, and I know thanks to my stupidity when I try to do that, I just pop it straight up.

A fellow THPer (will remain un-named) hit the 3W on 1 occasion. While his shot was a mid trajectory straight ball, he did not care for the "feel" that it offered. I believe his words were "It felt like I was hitting a rock".

Will report back after a mid-week range session or possibly a late year lesson to try and get this tee game under control.

OK who stole my Boccieri 5 Wood and how much will it cost me to get it back? I went and played 18 today and warmed up with my 5 wood and my first two were ripped right down the middle, then it went south. After that I couldn't hit nuttin with it. I still tried to put it in play on the course and still couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with it.
So once again whoever took it you can return it with no questions asked otherwise...
I am a trained Hostage Negotiator and will talk your ear off till i get it back.

OK my Boccieri is back and safe and sound. I went to the range yesterday and once I warmed up with a wedge the 5 wood came back out and once again straight right down the middle of the fairway. I am really enjoying this club and glad to have it in my bag.

Used the Boccieri twice yesterday off of the tee and took 2 penalty strokes for balls in the water.

Obviously wasnt the clubs fault lol, I was slicing everything off of the tee as evident by the 8 penalty strokes that I took in the PM round. Wasnt able to use it out of the rough at all, mainly cause I managed to find myself in the deep stuff all day long, and I know thanks to my stupidity when I try to do that, I just pop it straight up.

A fellow THPer (will remain un-named) hit the 3W on 1 occasion. While his shot was a mid trajectory straight ball, he did not care for the "feel" that it offered. I believe his words were "It felt like I was hitting a rock".

Will report back after a mid-week range session or possibly a late year lesson to try and get this tee game under control.

Hmm...that's one I havent heard from anyone. The only time I havent liked the feel of the HW is when I have caught one too thin, and it just feels bad.

You said the shot was decent, is it possible there was mis-hit?

Hmm...that's one I havent heard from anyone. The only time I havent liked the feel of the HW is when I have caught one too thin, and it just feels bad.

You said the shot was decent, is it possible there was mis-hit?

just quoting what he said after he hit it, might just be a case where it feels different than what he is used to playing

just quoting what he said after he hit it, might just be a case where it feels different than what he is used to playing

Good point. There is an adjustment for it.

Good point. There is an adjustment for it.

oh without a doubt, I notice a huge different in feel and the sound when hitting this and then hitting my burner 3W

FYI.... I was the unnamed THPer that hit the Boccieri. I have a Burner 2.0 3W. I only hit the Boccieri once and it was a decent swing. Didn't think I mis-hit it or anything. Had a mid flight and couldn't tell the distance cuz I just hit a ball into woods while we were waiting on the tee box to tee off. But man when I hit the ball it was hard feeling. Like I hit a rock or was swinging a hammer. The shot wasn't bad, so I'm not sure if I did mis-hit and the forgiveness helped or what. But man it felt hard. Next time, I will hit it a few more times. Maybe hit a small bucket with it to get more of a feeling. It definitely has a harder feel than the Burner 2.0 3W.

Last edited:
FYI.... I was the unnamed THPer that hit the Boccieri. I have a Burner 2.0 3W. I only hit the Boccieri once and it was a decent swing. Didn't think I mis-hit it or anything. Had a mid flight and couldn't tell the distance cuz I just hit a ball into woods while we were waiting on the tee box to tee off. But man when I hit the ball it was hard feeling. Like I hit a rock or was swinging a hammer. The shot wasn't bad, so I'm not sure if I did mis-hit and the forgiveness helped or what. But man it felt hard. Next time, I will hit it a few more times. Baby hit a small bucket with it to get more of a feeling. It definitely has a harder feel than the Burner 2.0 3W.

way to give up your secret identity

FYI.... I was the unnamed THPer that hit the Boccieri. I have a Burner 2.0 3W. I only hit the Boccieri once and it was a decent swing. Didn't think I mis-hit it or anything. Had a mid flight and couldn't tell the distance cuz I just hit a ball into woods while we were waiting on the tee box to tee off. But man when I hit the ball it was hard feeling. Like I hit a rock or was swinging a hammer. The shot wasn't bad, so I'm not sure if I did mis-hit and the forgiveness helped or what. But man it felt hard. Next time, I will hit it a few more times. Baby hit a small bucket with it to get more of a feeling. It definitely has a harder feel than the Burner 2.0 3W.

I have a Burner Superfast 3W, and I know exactly what you are saying. I described it differently though, as I felt with my Burner, it had an almost hollow feel at impact. With the Heavy Wood it has a much, much more solid feel to it for me. I can see what you are saying by saying it feels like a hammer, the club is solid.

Got out to the range this past Saturday and hit a bunch with the BGH3w.
Was working hard on getting my weight through fully to my left side and wound up hitting mostly draws with the BGH3w, which I have never been able to do before. Was quite different to see that ball starting right and drawing left.
I did hit a few push rights as well so that was unfortunate.
Also concentrated on finishing my backswing by trying to pause at the top. Felt weird doing this but definitely helped my tempo, although I started getting the fats after a while of trying it. Still hanging back on my right I'm guessing. So hard to tell without video or someone watching me....

I dont think it feels hard at all, def solid feeling but not hard. I like the solid feel to be honest

way to give up your secret identity

It's koo that people know it was me that said that. It's just my honest opinion. Granted it was one swing but that's what I felt.

Amphibians can Tapatalk.

It's koo that people know it was me that said that. It's just my honest opinion. Granted it was one swing but that's what I felt.

Amphibians can Tapatalk.

at least you were honest BF, better than saying you loved it when you didnt

I've put my honest opinion in all my testing. Even the testing I chose to do on my own. Why fib about it. It's just my opinion. Does my opinion really matter? :laughing:

Amphibians can Tapatalk.

I do have to say I took a couple practice swings before hitting the ball. It felt good swinging it. Shaft felt good. Up until I made contact. But it was one ball.

Amphibians can Tapatalk.

BF, thanks for chiming in. I'd love to hear your take on the BGHW with a little range time. When I hear "like hitting a rock" I translate that to not getting any compression on the ball. Although having hit a SF 2.0 3w a while ago, it isn't even close to the same feel.

Alright, my tripod and smartphone adapter kit should arrive today, so I hope to get some videos posted soon!

Its been raining all day here and isnt letting up anytime soon, calling for more rain tomorrow as well which blows! Hopefully I can get out before my Saturday and Sunday rounds, I will be awful rusty if I dont. I am also hoping to wind isnt bad this weekend like it was over last weekend, I want to get some new videos recored.

Alright, my tripod and smartphone adapter kit should arrive today, so I hope to get some videos posted soon!

Yes! It is here! I found a cool flex tripod and smartphone adapter mount for my phone - specifically make my smartphone a multitasker. UPS didn't get here until after 6pm, so I'll be doing some first time videos on with the BGHW on the range tomorrow. I've got final round interview for a new gig Thursday (2nd in a week!) so I won't get out to the course until Friday at best.

Here's a stock picture with an iPhone, but it works great with my Galaxy S 4G. Sorry for being a bit off-topic.
Spoiler
dscf0413.jpg

Its been raining all day here and isnt letting up anytime soon, calling for more rain tomorrow as well which blows! Hopefully I can get out before my Saturday and Sunday rounds, I will be awful rusty if I dont. I am also hoping to wind isnt bad this weekend like it was over last weekend, I want to get some new videos recored.

Yep, lately it's been either schedule or weather keeping me off the course. They will be closing soon, so times running out. I guess I'll have to rely on the sutt'na boys in this thread for updates.

Yep, lately it's been either schedule or weather keeping me off the course. They will be closing soon, so times running out. I guess I'll have to rely on the sutt'na boys in this thread for updates.

Its been non stop rain here all day today as well. I have to work late tomorrow so even if it is done raining I wont be able to play. Looks like its gonna have to wait until my Saturday and Sunday rounds. Playing a new course Saturday so it should be fun.

Alright, got some video to edit of my latest range session and I should get some course time tomorrow. Hopefully it will be slow enough to video. Now need to fireup iMovie or WMM2.0.

As for my range session...

10/19/11 - Boccieri Golf Heavy Wood (15* 3 wood)
Weather: 62*, Sunny-to-Overcast-to-Sunny-back-to-Overcast, soft ocean breeze
Place: Home, Home on the Range Mat
Changes: Getting used to new oversize WinnXL Grip

As I mentioned in my last update, I had the grip changed to match the rest of my set. During my previous session I didn't think it affected the feel of the club. After another bucket of balls, I'm sure of it.

I got into a good rhythm right after a little warm up. First with half swings (mediocre), then three quarters (good) and finally full-swings (on FIYAH!). I sincerely hope I can replicate this on the course next time I play. (tomorrow, fingers crossed) With the XL grip, my misses are pulls or unexpected draws and the occasional pull-draw. Any miss right was a baby fade. Otherwise, crush crushity crush. I was so happy.

Switching to my driver and hybrids were good, although my trusty Cobra Baffler no longer seems to suit me. Irons were good and my wedges were spot on.

A veeeeery good range session.

I also picked up some alignment sticks on the way back from an interview today so I'm looking forward to using them as well.

Back