Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Irons & Hybrids Review

They did. I’d like to think my Platinum status helped move them along quicker lol
I may not have Platinum status with an airline but I’ve got it with Callaway.

I had my first round today with the Smoke 4i. It replaced my Apex UT 20*. I have the Smoke 4i bent weak to help with gapping with my Apex Pro CB 5i.

First impression is that the Smoke will do exactly what I need in this spot. I feel like I’m getting all the distance and speed of the UT but added forgiveness. It is not intimidating but it’s not a chunky looking iron. There was an immediate comfort level with the Smoke that I didn’t have with the UT. The UT falls into the more demanding category of clubs to hit.

It’s a club that will be used primarily off the tee. I used it three times off the tee and once off the deck. Conditions were windy and course was still drying out so not getting much if any roll. First thoughts are it’s an easy club to hit and it’s going to take a bad swing to get it going offline, which is perfect for what I need in this spot.
Do you hit iron (excluding par 3’s) off the tee often or is it a wind condition thing to hit it that much?
You must be absolutely loving the sound too!

Do you hit iron (excluding par 3’s) off the tee often or is it a wind condition thing to hit it that much?
You must be absolutely loving the sound too!
Sound is good. Was worried it would be too loud or harsh playing the Apex Pro but it’s not an issue.

It’s really course dependent. I’m hitting 4i off the tee if there is a hazard I’m trying to avoid or there isn’t an advantage to going longer. There’s a few holes at my home course I will use it on.

I managed to convince the family to go to Top Golf after Easter mass. I took my 7i & 9i and here are my thoughts.

Looks - These are different at address than my JPX 921 Forged set. I’m not one to get caught up on topline or offset (unless it’s severe) and the Smoke irons look good at address. Immediately I know they weren’t what the 921’s present at address but I don’t get GI vibes either. The top line presented what seemed like a compact offering

Feel/Sound - this was going to be my biggest concern. If I’m being honest the only hesitation moving on from the 921’s would be the feel and sound. We’ve all heard that “Mizuno irons feel so good” and they do. This was a big ask of the Smoke irons to meet, but they did. I was hitting the balls from Top Golf so I fully expected a harsher experience than my normal gamer ball would offer. I was really shocked/surprised with what I saw. Sound was not “clicky” at all and the impact was not firm or off putting. The word I can use is dense. I won’t go to saying felt as soft/good as the Mizuno’s but they are not far off being a hollow body construction. I fully expected a harsh or less soft feel at impact and I didn’t. Honestly I’m shocked at what I felt/heard at impact

Distance - this one I’m going to put aside until I get on real grass with my gamer golf balls or range balls. I saw some things that were flat out silly from the 7i and if that happened with the limited flight balls at Top Golf I’m encouraged to get real data from playing/practicing outside

Here are the 7i results

IMG_8977.jpeg

I’m happy I made the move because I was thinking I messed up leaving the 921’s bc I’ve been used to known only the feel and sound. But the performance. Hopefully I can get out this week for more feedback

Last edited:
Distance - this one I’m going to put aside until I get on real grease with my gamer golf balls or range balls.

I always knew I was missing something in my game - not enough real grease! 🙃

I always knew I was missing something in my game - not enough real grease! 🙃
Sorry I was on my phone and didn’t spell check correctly. I fixed it

The hybrid in this group is really fun. Its funny how the eye plays tricks on you with 1 degree loft. The 21 set at 23 degree looked strange. At 22 degrees it looks perfect. Anyone else ever experience this with this club or any other adjustable hybrid on 1 degree?

Sorry I was on my phone and didn’t spell check correctly. I fixed it
Well, that saved me from going out and trying to find forged grease. I hear it feels better than cast...

Just finished my first range session with my Ai Smoke HL irons. Really happy with the move. I’ve been playing some older cobra irons for 4 or 5 years. Old gamers were cobra baffler xl with steelfiber i95 shafts. I went with cypher fifty 5.0 shafts in the HL’s

Looks: Ai smoke HL is smaller and looks really clean compared to what I’ve been playing.

Feel: the reduced weight in the shaft and the club head is a game changer for me. Old clubs I could feel a lot of weight out on the end of the club. Ai smoke feels more balanced. I feel like I have much more control over the club head delivery.

Sound/feel: sound is way different. It took about a dozen shots to get use to the new sound. But it grew on me. More of a crisp sound and not the “whack” of my old clubs. And enough of a difference on mishits to notice. Feel is great compared to what I was playing. Also just enough to notice a mishit.

Flight: ball flight is exactly what I was looking for. I love a nice high and penetrating ball flight. My old 7i was averaging between 55 and 60 feet peak height. With the HL’s I’m getting anywhere from 70 to 80 feet. Even the 5i was getting up there. Love it. And I’m actually getting about 5 more yards of carry up and down the set.

Final note: glad I added the set AW at 47 degrees. It’s automatic for me. I feel like I can drop them in a bucket at 110 yards.

Can’t wait to get some rounds in with these clubs.

Second round in the books with the Smoke 4i and it is staying in the bag. It is easy to hit, I feel confident using it off the tee, and fun. I only hit twice yesterday from the tee and found the fairway both times. The second felt a little heely and it turned out to be an absolute bomb. Although it may not be as sexy as the UT, it works better for me. I am using a different shaft than the UT, so that may be partially a factor, but I am a firm believer that the Ai Smart Face tech is real and the difference.

I am finding the Ai Smoke 4i blending well with my Apex CB irons. The blade length is similar and for an iron this forgiving it has a sleek topline. I have also been impressed with the turf interaction and would assume it's the pre-worn edge helping with that.

I hit a comically far 4 iron yesterday with the Ai Smoke. Put a really solid move on the ball, and it just absolutely took off.

As my swing comes back into form, I'm seeing a lot of the benefits I was expecting. Loads of launch, plenty of power, and a profile that promotes confidence.

It was an expensive weekend. First picked up a Ping G430 10k driver and also nabbed a 6-AW, SW, set of Ai Smoke HL irons with Elevate 85 shafts.
Mailroom guy at the office is going to be busy this week with my packages :)

I love new toy time, can't wait to take it to the course!
IMG_3454.JPGIMG_3455.JPGIMG_3456.JPG

Looking good. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.
Just based on looks, as I bought it sight unseen, I love the darker/matte finish on the crown, seems real simple and clean.

And it's exactly what I was looking for in a bit larger head of a hybrid.

Just based on looks, as I bought it sight unseen, I love the darker/matte finish on the crown, seems real simple and clean.

And it's exactly what I was looking for in a bit larger head of a hybrid.
I don't have one in the bag, but I believe the guys from The Grandaddy have really liked theirs.

I don't have one in the bag, but I believe the guys from The Grandaddy have really liked theirs.
I have the 4H and 5H, love them. The 4H isn't getting much play because it's too close to my 9W in terms of gapping, but it may replace the 9W later in the season when the rough starts getting deeper and thicker. Right now the Bermuda rough is dormant so it's thin and easy to hit out of even with a fairway wood, but a hybrid becomes the better play for me as it greens up and gets nasty.

The Ai Smoke 5H is cemented in my bag as the go-to between fairway woods and irons, it's versatile and reliable for me.

Ok went to PGASS and hit the Smoke AI. It’s a nice iron but will keep my Paradyms. I didn’t find the Smoke AI any longer or straighter. Also the Paradyms feel better IMHO.
So will stay put for now.
Ok I went back to hit the Smoke AI's and now I see what everyone is saying. I guess the first time just wasnt in the groove.
Came back home and pulled the specs of my Paradym from my Callaway fitting and ordered a set of Smoke AI's and adjusted to -1/2" on the long irons and - 1/4" in the short irons as the Smoke is a longer iron.
Plus took advantage of the 50% trade-in with Callaway. The new set will be here Thursday!

I know it was talked about a little while ago, but what are people’s bag makeups looking like? I’m thinking D, 3w, 5-PW, AW, 50, 54 and 58. With putter that leaves me one slot where right now I carry a 5w and a 4h. My 5w is like 215-220 and 4h is 200-205. 4h is probably better out of rough situations that 5w and good for punch outs etc.

I know it was talked about a little while ago, but what are people’s bag makeups looking like? I’m thinking D, 3w, 5-PW, AW, 50, 54 and 58. With putter that leaves me one slot where right now I carry a 5w and a 4h. My 5w is like 215-220 and 4h is 200-205. 4h is probably better out of rough situations that 5w and good for punch outs etc.
I went with D, 3HL, 7W, 5H, 5i-AW, 54, 58. I also have the 4H, which will be interchangeable with the 7W as far as gapping goes.

Driver / 3hl / 3h / 5-9, PW, AW, GW / 54 / 58

I love the set GW. I do take some full swings with it, so I elected to stay with the set GW instead of a traditional 50* wedge.

I also have a heavenwood and UW I rotate out for the 3h and 5i if needed

Driver / 3hl / 3h / 5-9, PW, AW, GW / 54 / 58

I love the set GW. I do take some full swings with it, so I elected to stay with the set GW instead of a traditional 50* wedge.

I also have a heavenwood and UW I rotate out for the 3h and 5i if needed
Cool. What do you prefer about the set GW vs a 50* wedge? I have a 50* t24 i like and do tend to use it as a full swing 100-105 club.

I do have a 3h that i'll probably fit in. The 5i in this set is 22*, which is the same as the 4h (though i hit hybrids better). Judging by the testing numbers though, that 5i will probably become my 200 yard club.

Cool. What do you prefer about the set GW vs a 50* wedge? I have a 50* t24 i like and do tend to use it as a full swing 100-105 club.

Same reason in my Apex CB iron set. I went to the 11 iron. If I’m hitting a full swinging club, I want to feel along the same specs as the rest of my iron set. I want that added technology and forgiveness.

I use the gap quite a bit for some bump and run and greenside shots as well, and to me it just sets up a little bit better to my eye for some of those shots

Back