The 60 and over Thread

My Uncle was a "country club pro" before WWII. I have no idea if he was a member of the PGA of America or not, but I know he played in Monday qualifiers and played in some pro tournaments like the old Hershey Open, Pittsurgh Open and Pennsyvania Open back in his day. He was my main source of instruction when I started learning the game, and one of his admonitions for me was that if I was going to copy a swing, to copy a lady pro! He felt that their swings were more textbook, while many men's swings were idiosyncratic.

We used to have an LPGA tournament in this area and would always go out to watch. These days I go to watch the YSU Ladie's Invitational in September and an AJGA tournament both held at a local course. I've seen some of these college women hit the ball as far as I could when I was their age and playing the best gol of my life!

Glad the lessons are working out for you, and you and the instructor have synced up.
I agree and watching the LPGA players have great tempo and solid swing mechanics.

Was there reason for you to think about making the change?
No specific reason for making the grip change. Like I said, I am always tinkering, whether it be with weights, adapter settings, swapping out different wedges, irons or even putters almost on a round-to-round basis looking for that magic.

Played 18 with the wife today at Lake Tansi GC. $76 with carts for 2 was a pretty good deal. I played it at 5600 yards, but I could have backed up a set of tees. Bluegrass fairways, poaanna greens. The greens ran really true, but they were really firm. Holding greens was a problem. I hit a lot of shots that ended up over. I thought the course played shorter than the yardage. However, it a good track and I’d play it again. 7 fairways, 7 GIR, 29 putts 38-43 81.

After a discussion with a golf buddy on my enjoyment of blades over these new fangled GI/SGI clubs, he gives me a set of Walter Hagen 70s vintage (2-PW). This should be fun. Take them to the sim.

The flush shots, oh yes, just as I remember, pure, soft and perfect trajectory. The not flush shot, oh yes, just as I remember, like swinging a club into a tree trunk. But I couldn’t stop smiling. Oh I love that feel (The good shots that is). Distances were crap. Until I got home and found the lofts online. Loft for loft, they went virtually the same distance as my 0211s, but with better trajectory and spin. The 8 iron, by the way, went 105 yards.

Took the 8 on the course with me the next day. Two opportunities to hit the old dinged up, rusted shaft, worn out grip club. First shot, right over the stick, stopped dead. Second shot, par 3, to two feet. Couldn’t slap the smile off my face. Absolutely pure.

Could I play these day in and day out? Oh heck no. I’m intellectually challenged, but not stupid. LOL. They are sure fun to hit though. And on a warm day, I’ll put them in the bag and play a round just for nostalgia sake and see how I shoot.

After a discussion with a golf buddy on my enjoyment of blades over these new fangled GI/SGI clubs, he gives me a set of Walter Hagen 70s vintage (2-PW). This should be fun. Take them to the sim.

The flush shots, oh yes, just as I remember, pure, soft and perfect trajectory. The not flush shot, oh yes, just as I remember, like swinging a club into a tree trunk. But I couldn’t stop smiling. Oh I love that feel (The good shots that is). Distances were crap. Until I got home and found the lofts online. Loft for loft, they went virtually the same distance as my 0211s, but with better trajectory and spin. The 8 iron, by the way, went 105 yards.

Took the 8 on the course with me the next day. Two opportunities to hit the old dinged up, rusted shaft, worn out grip club. First shot, right over the stick, stopped dead. Second shot, par 3, to two feet. Couldn’t slap the smile off my face. Absolutely pure.

Could I play these day in and day out? Oh heck no. I’m intellectually challenged, but not stupid. LOL. They are sure fun to hit though. And on a warm day, I’ll put them in the bag and play a round just for nostalgia sake and see how I shoot.
I never could hit a blade iron, probably because the sweet spot is very narrow. Always played cavity back irons.

Somewhere around 40 years ago, I demoed the Mizuno Pro IIs and Mizuno True blades. Found little to no difference. Bought the Trues. Took one to the range each day till could hit it with a modicum of consistency. Then to the next club. Eventually I could hit them pretty fair. They felt so sweet and pure.

To this day, when doing a fitting I seem to generally hit the players club equally as well as GI clubs. Only go GI because in my elder state, I have no distance.

77 with 5 birds today. 28 putts with one a 3 putt🙄
That's a very fine round, but could we have some more details? I shoot 77 often, but I have never had 5 birdies or 28 putts. I average about 1 birdie and 34 putts per 18.
I suppose you had some penalties, doubles, etc?

That's a very fine round, but could we have some more details? I shoot 77 often, but I have never had 5 birdies or 28 putts. I average about 1 birdie and 34 putts per 18.
I suppose you had some penalties, doubles, etc?
6 bogies plus 2 doubles…..dunked a par 3 in the water….shade over 5800 in length from the white tees.

Last edited:
I too prefer a less "clunkier" club. That said, today's blade/MB's would be considered GI irons back in the day. Here is what everyone played at one time, regardless of skill level:

View attachment 9250662
For sure. And if you ever saw one, you’d have to hit it. At least once. Last week, we found a 221 6 iron on the driving range. Of course we turned it in to the pro shop. But couldn’t resist hitting a shot or two on the driving range before turning it in. Very easy to hit. Definitely felt easier to hit than the Hagen 6 iron.

I absolutely enjoy this thread most on here. Can relate with most every post whether it be progressive lenses (can’t wear them for golf), iron shaft weight (my MMT 60A are also too light), ailments (yes I have too many), and 7iron distance (135 tops).

Reading the reviews and comments on other threads pertaining to various clubs is enjoyable, but little to no value to me. Someone talking about the characteristics of a driver, in which they hit 280+, means nothing to me.

Someone on here describing a drivers characteristics with an 80 mph swing and pumping it out there 200+ yards, my ears perk up. I can relate. I’ll definitely pay attention.

And there’s no shortage of input. I miss this thread for a few days and it take me an hour or two to catch up. Even longer if I misplaced my bi-focals. LOL. Most posts it seems my mind goes yep, that’s me; been there done that; reminder to make doc appointment.

I don’t think there was much of a point to this post, other than to say, this thread is very enjoyable and relatable.

Dropped from 100-gram KBS steel to 65-gram Recoil in my irons and my aging my body is loving it. I thought it would screw with my already too-quick transition but if anything it promoted a more controlled and smooth transition with effortless follow-through.

The first intelligent thing I did about golf in a while.

Played lake Tansi again today. I played the gold tees again, which work out to 5400 yards. I should have played the green tees at 5650. Turns out the elevation here is 2000’ and the ball goes 1/2 a club farther. Took me a while to figure it out. 10 fairways, 7 GIR, 31 putts 38-42 80

Nice house. Signature hole.

Attachments

• IMG_1538.jpeg
    IMG_1538.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1539.jpeg
    IMG_1539.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 10
I don’t know how many of you have this business in your area, but I signed up for a three month program at my local Stretch Zone. I am about a month and a half into it and it is making a world of difference. I can bend over from my waist and put most of my hand on the floor, without bending my knees. I am seeing some increased club speed. I have to figure out a way to maintain this after my program ends.

I don’t know how many of you have this business in your area, but I signed up for a three month program at my local Stretch Zone. I am about a month and a half into it and it is making a world of difference. I can bend over from my waist and put most of my hand on the floor, without bending my knees. I am seeing some increased club speed. I have to figure out a way to maintain this after my program ends.
I'm not familiar with SZ, but can't you just keep doing whatever it is you're doing now?

We don’t have one of those in my area, but I’ve had a couple PT sessions this month and am actively trying to strengthen my lower back. I believe a proactive approach is the best way to avoid injury. If it helps my golf game even a little… even better.

I'm not familiar with SZ, but can't you just keep doing whatever it is you're doing now?
No. At this place called “Stretch Zone,” you get on a table and this “therapist” (or whatever you call them) works on you. The table has belts and they belt in a leg or your waist, which holds it in place, so that they can bend various parts of your anatomy, really stretching it to maximum stretch. It is not really a pleasant experience while doing it, but the difference is obvious. My thought is that when it ends, because it is not inexpensive to go through this program, I will need to dedicate myself to regular yoga or something that I can do on my own.

I absolutely enjoy this thread most on here. Can relate with most every post whether it be progressive lenses (can’t wear them for golf), iron shaft weight (my MMT 60A are also too light), ailments (yes I have too many), and 7iron distance (135 tops).

Reading the reviews and comments on other threads pertaining to various clubs is enjoyable, but little to no value to me. Someone talking about the characteristics of a driver, in which they hit 280+, means nothing to me.

Someone on here describing a drivers characteristics with an 80 mph swing and pumping it out there 200+ yards, my ears perk up. I can relate. I’ll definitely pay attention.

And there’s no shortage of input. I miss this thread for a few days and it take me an hour or two to catch up. Even longer if I misplaced my bi-focals. LOL. Most posts it seems my mind goes yep, that’s me; been there done that; reminder to make doc appointment.

I don’t think there was much of a point to this post, other than to say, this thread is very enjoyable and relatable.

Same here.

Great points!

it is not inexpensive to go through this program
Just how expensive is it? They are offering a free, 30-minute stretch. Do they pressure you to sign up for a lengthier "program" if you take advantage of the free offer?

Just how expensive is it? They are offering a free, 30-minute stretch. Do they pressure you to sign up for a lengthier "program" if you take advantage of the free offer?
I didn’t feel pressured. They have been really professional at the one I attend. It is not inexpensive. I think that I am paying around $40 per session for the program I am on. I knew it was an investment, but I felt that I really needed a jumpstart because I was feeling so stiff and sore all the time. It has paid dividends in general. I feel so much better when I wake up in the mornings, so the benefit has not been solely golf related, although, admittedly, that was the primary motivation when I signed up.

No. At this place called “Stretch Zone,” you get on a table and this “therapist” (or whatever you call them) works on you. The table has belts and they belt in a leg or your waist, which holds it in place, so that they can bend various parts of your anatomy, really stretching it to maximum stretch. It is not really a pleasant experience while doing it, but the difference is obvious. My thought is that when it ends, because it is not inexpensive to go through this program, I will need to dedicate myself to regular yoga or something that I can do on my own.
It hurts to read this. :LOL: Thoughts of painful stretching of tight, old muscles.

I’m trying to incorporate some yoga in to my overall fitness routine.

A golfing friend of mine goes to SZ, and has had the same experience as you: it is painful, but it helps his golf game.

He gave them my name and number for the free session, but I haven't done it yet, mainly because I have to watch my budget. However, they call about once a week to see if I am ready to come in for my "freebie!" :ROFLMAO:

Back