Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Fairway Wood Review

How is the TD off the deck or is mostly a tee club?
I’ve found it to be easy to hit off the deck. I don’t use it often, but have been impressed with it. No issues getting it elevated and I’ve been able to work it left to right if needed.

Not TD, but my 3 HL has been smooth and easy off the deck and super easy off the tee. I've got the same shaft in it as I have in my driver (Ventus Blue R), so it's a seamless transition. Sometimes it takes me a bit more effort to strike it cleanly off the deck as it's longer in length than the hybrids, but when I focus and take that length into account I can really put a move on the ball!

I played nine this morning. Hit the TD twice off the tee and once off the deck. If you end up reading through all my posts, it may start to sound like a broken record, but I have been so impressed with this club from the first time I hit it. I recognized this was an improvement for my game from the Paradym TD, which is a fairway I loved.

The sound/feel with the Smoke is as good as any fairway I've hit. You know where on the face you hit it and know where the ball is going based on the contact. It's the first fairway I've had that gives me a flatter trajectory when I need it. Everything else I hit super high. The two tee balls I hit today I was able to flight down below tree level and the off the deck I was able to elevate above the trees because as I was intending.

It's low spin like the Paradym TD, but more forgiving in my opinion.

Something is arriving today!

IMG_0259.pngSo glad that the fitter had me go with 5W MaxD instead of 3W. I just feel more confident that the 5W will be straight and better overall if I hit fat/thin. I am more likely to hit this consistently 215 than the 3W 230.

But boy, I hit a couple of perfect ones today and this thing launches high. Love it!

Arccos doesn’t have my MaxD head in there yet: I am not playing triple diamond

This sets up to the ball so well, sounds and feels great too.

The difference is discussed in the article. 😜

Sole of TD is steel, not forged carbon.

I played nine this morning. Hit the TD twice off the tee and once off the deck. If you end up reading through all my posts, it may start to sound like a broken record, but I have been so impressed with this club from the first time I hit it. I recognized this was an improvement for my game from the Paradym TD, which is a fairway I loved.

The sound/feel with the Smoke is as good as any fairway I've hit. You know where on the face you hit it and know where the ball is going based on the contact. It's the first fairway I've had that gives me a flatter trajectory when I need it. Everything else I hit super high. The two tee balls I hit today I was able to flight down below tree level and the off the deck I was able to elevate above the trees because as I was intending.

It's low spin like the Paradym TD, but more forgiving in my opinion.
Hi.

Wondering if you have hit the Cobra Darkspeed X 3 wood?

Just received my 3HL. It's currently raining and supposed to continue thru Sunday morning. I am going to try it out on a simulator later tonight and hope to be able to play Sunday afternoon if its not too soggy.

Well. Today i saw the Smoke Ai 3 woods for the first time.

Unfortunately, I couldn't hit with any of them as there were a lot of people there.

Purely in terms of appearance, the TD appealed to me more. Let's see which one I will buy.
Since I will only be using 3 wood off the deck, TD feels like a better option.

And I'm usually pretty safe from the tee with 3 wood. Unfortunately, the exact opposite when I have a driver in my hand.

Not TD, but my 3 HL has been smooth and easy off the deck and super easy off the tee. I've got the same shaft in it as I have in my driver (Ventus Blue R), so it's a seamless transition. Sometimes it takes me a bit more effort to strike it cleanly off the deck as it's longer in length than the hybrids, but when I focus and take that length into account I can really put a move on the ball!
Same for me with the 3HL Max D - it's great off the tee and off the deck for me. I won't hesitate even a second to pull it for a shot from the fairway when I need it, it's easy to launch and I usually get tons of roll from my shots.

Smoke Max 5w came yesterday and this thing is gorgeous! Weather prevented me from getting out today. Might get to get some swings at the range next week, but navy schedule might prevent it.

Sooooo, anyone bagging a 7w or 9w?? If so thoughts? Why that over something else?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Sooooo, anyone bagging a 7w or 9w?? If so thoughts? Why that over something else?

I had a ton of thoughts and expected a 5W (what I previously used), but the 3HL was so good we put it into the bag for gapping. The 5W was giving me the same distance as a 3Hybrid and I wanted the hybrid as I’m often more comfortable with that club profile.

All that to be said - you may not need to go 7 or 9 if your concern is playability- my 3HL is easier to hit than the Rogue 5W that was my gamer!

I like sim golf because I get a chance to play shots I normally wouldn't play,

I've been putting a lot of good swings on this 3w. On the sim, 260 off the deck is "in range"

So my son who is heading into the final weekend of college qualifying called this morning with the problem below. Has been a trusty weapon that he can carry 275 off the deck. Got lucky - Callaway rep was in the local Edwin Watts in Memphis and he walked out with a new AI Smoke 3TD 15 with Denali X. He plans to get to the range early to hit it outdoors, but off GCQUad he said it was so easy - like hitting a pitching wedge. We will see but I am somewhat curious myself.

Attachments

• Callaway.jpeg
    Callaway.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 13
So my son who is heading into the final weekend of college qualifying called this morning with the problem below. Has been a trusty weapon that he can carry 275 off the deck. Got lucky - Callaway rep was in the local Edwin Watts in Memphis and he walked out with a new AI Smoke 3TD 15 with Denali X. He plans to get to the range early to hit it outdoors, but off GCQUad he said it was so easy - like hitting a pitching wedge. We will see but I am somewhat curious myself.
Love hearing stories like this! (Not that it cracked, but that Callaway takes care of its customers)

Make no mistake, he paid full frieght (his coach is a Callaway fitter with a discount) - it was that good that he was willing to put it in the bag and will test outside tomorrow morning prior to his qualifying round. He is excited which speaks to how good this release must be!

i have a Max Heavenwood and Max D 3HL unfortunately it storms every weekend that i can play, got to hit it in a Sim today, witholdfng judgment until i can hit it outdoors

Yes. I have the Max 7W.
At the fitting we tried a 4hybrid to ho with the 5 and 6HL hybrid, but it just wouldn’t come off the ground very much.
The 7 wood just worked so easily for my short steep swing. The ball height was just that much better to cover the long gap to the top of the bag.

It has been amazing. Love it from the rough and the fairway. Such an easy to use club that I can actually land on a green from afar compared to a long iron or hybrid.

IMG_3432.jpeg

The profile is perfect looking behind the ball too. Here is is side by side with the max D 3HL wood. 7 woods can be a bit fussy mentally for me (too fat or skinny behind the ball). This isn’t jarring in either direction.

I hadn't played one in many years, but my fitter at ECPC last December put me into an Ai Smoke Max 7W. It's easier to elevate than a lower-lofted hybrid at my (admittedly moderate) swing speed. He gave me both the 7W and 4H, saying they'd be pretty close in distance and I should play around with them and figure out which one I like better - and/or what situations I'd rather swap one out of the bag for the other.

The 7W is almost a cheat code, it's so forgiving and easy to hit.

Carrying the Heavenwood (7w head, 4w length, some other changes).

Why? I previously played a Heavenwood and liked it. Typically terrible with hybrids, and in brief fitting time the superhybrid wasn't good swing/contact wise, so I stayed with the Heavenwood.

Why Heavenwood, preference, and more the ability to hit a higher lofted wood more consistently than a hybrid.

When I was at a Callaway demo day two weeks ago, the rep suggested a Max D 7w. I have played a 7w for years. My limited experience with the Max D was very positive. I only needed a couple of swings to realize it was good. I have a 7w currently but I think the Max D is a better club for me.

So went out and hit both heads tonight. The max was too spinny and didn’t sound or feel solid. Love the TD but didn’t like the ab blue shaft I tried in it or the blue tr. Need suggestions

Back