Shot Scope X5 Watch

@deepakvrao The watch contains the GPS chip, not the tags. The tags use NFC technology. When a tag is sensed, the GPS location is recorded by the watch.

Another likely stupid question but I have managed to go thru at least 50 pages of this thread and for the life of me could not figure out what the 'pin collect' is needed for?

Also, my home course has 5 sets of tees, but the mapped course has only 2. Does it really make any difference? I guess the measurement is GPS so it will start from whichever tee box I use?

Ugh I left my Shot Scope watch in my Grandaddy bag and have been counting the days until I have it back. My last round a few days ago left me feeling lost on the course. I was required to use a range finder which isn’t very helpful as I don’t aim directly at the pin each shot into the green.
It’s something I never knew I needed and now I have a hard time living without it on the course. At least it’s on its way soon

It’s something I never knew I needed and now I have a hard time living without it on the course. At least it’s on its way soon
I know right…I don’t know what to do on the course without it.

Another likely stupid question but I have managed to go thru at least 50 pages of this thread and for the life of me could not figure out what the 'pin collect' is needed for?

Also, my home course has 5 sets of tees, but the mapped course has only 2. Does it really make any difference? I guess the measurement is GPS so it will start from whichever tee box I use?
The Pin Collect screen is where you record the use of the putter. If using the Manual putting mode, you mark the location each time you use the putter, even from off the green. Then you mark the hole's location while standing over it. If you are using Auto putting mode with a putter tag installed, you don't have to interface with the watch until you stand over the hole and mark the number of times you used the putter, including from off the green. That process then marks the location of the hole.

As long as the area you are teeing off from has been mapped as a teeing area, the actual location you tee off from will be used. If, for some reason it hasn't been mapped as such, the tee shot will typically be placed on the back tee. The choice of tees on the watch itself does not matter, as long as the par for each hole is correct.

Last edited:
The Pin Collect screen is where you record the use of the putter. If using the Manual putting mode, you mark the location each time you use the putter, even from off the green. Then you mark the hole's location while standing over it. If you are using Auto putting mode with a putter tag installed, you don't have to interface with the watch until you stand over the hole and mark the number of times you used the putter, including from off the green. That process then marks the location of the hole.

As long as the area you are teeing off from has been mapped as a teeing area, the actual location you tee off from will be used. If, for some reason it hasn't been mapped as such, the tee shot will typically be placed on the back tee. The choice of tees on the watch itself does not matter, as long as the par for each hole is correct.

Thanks, but shouldn't the tee shot be placed from where you actually hit the ball even if it is not mapped as a tee box?

Thanks, but shouldn't the tee shot be placed from where you actually hit the ball even if it is not mapped as a tee box?
Typically has been that way for me.

Guys, if you try to get a GPS lock when you are not near a course what does your watch say? Does it say no course within a km? Because the support guy asked me whether my watch says this. Well, it doesn't, and just 'appears' to be looking for a GPS lock. Seems to locate a course when I am at a course though. Not sure if it's a GPS hardware issue or a software glitch.

Guys, if you try to get a GPS lock when you are not near a course what does your watch say? Does it say no course within a km? Because the support guy asked me whether my watch says this. Well, it doesn't, and just 'appears' to be looking for a GPS lock. Seems to locate a course when I am at a course though. Not sure if it's a GPS hardware issue or a software glitch.
Honestly can’t quite remember. Pretty sure it just defaults back to the start round screen.

Mine says No course within 1 km.

Anytime I have teed off from an area not mapped as a teeing area, the tee shot has been placed on a tee box elsewhere, typically at the back tee. That has been my experience. During editing, I then move it to where I teed off from and change the "lie" to "Tee".

You cannot edit course mapping yourself. Send that image to Shot Scope support and ask them to map that tee box. That area you circled hasn't been mapped as a tee box, and, personally, were I doing the mapping I wouldn't have thought to map that area as such either. The system is putting your drive at the nearest area that has been mapped as a teeing area.

Is this still the way it is? It will not show you where you actually teed off from if that area has not been mapped as a tee box?

Also, been thru 78 pages of this thread and see mor unhappy than happy users. Hope things have changed by now? Yet to try mine though.

Has anyone found the connection between the charger cable head and the watch has become looser over time? It use to click in quite solidly but now there is no click sensation anymore and it’s become tricky to keep the charger in the port on the watch - it’s still possibly to charge it but it’s become very fiddly and worried it will get to point where the charger won’t sit in the port

Has anyone found the connection between the charger cable head and the watch has become looser over time? It use to click in quite solidly but now there is no click sensation anymore and it’s become tricky to keep the charger in the port on the watch - it’s still possibly to charge it but it’s become very fiddly and worried it will get to point where the charger won’t sit in the port
Haven’t had that issue when charging. Be curious to see if it’s the watch or cable that the issue is with.

Is this still the way it is? It will not show you where you actually teed off from if that area has not been mapped as a tee box?
I believe so. During renovations this summer, a new tee box was created for our 5th hole. We teed off from that tee box twice in the month of December, and both times my tee shot shows taking place from a nearby tee box that is normally used. I do not recall moving the location of that shot on those two occasions during editing. Also, on our 18th hole, the tee box was expanded forward and most times the tees are set in that new area. For every one of those tee shots, the location has been moved back to the original tee box. It may no longer place the tee shot at "the tips", but apparently still moves the location to a nearby area that has been mapped as a tee box.

Unmapped teeing areas are not that common to begin with. During editing, it is a simple thing to move the location of the shot. If an area has not been mapped correctly, an email to Shot Scope Support with the necessary details will quickly get it mapped for future rounds. I can't do that yet for my course, as the Google imagery hasn't been updated yet.

Edited to add: Another little idiosyncrasy to the system is the fact that you cannot mark a tee shot as "positional" to keep it from being included in your stats, regardless of that or any reason other you might want to do so.

Last edited:
Sorry but I know I'm being really dumb here. What does 'positional' mean?

Also, my home course has all 5 tee boxes mapped by Garmin, but SS has only 2 of them. Have sent them a mail. Hope they re map the tee boxes.

Also, if the tee off area is marked wrongly, I presume that the driving distance would also be wrong? Would it be wrong only on the app after downloading the round or also on your watch when you reach your ball for the next shot?

Sorry but I know I'm being really dumb here. What does 'positional' mean?

Also, my home course has all 5 tee boxes mapped by Garmin, but SS has only 2 of them. Have sent them a mail. Hope they re map the tee boxes.

Also, if the tee off area is marked wrongly, I presume that the driving distance would also be wrong? Would it be wrong only on the app after downloading the round or also on your watch when you reach your ball for the next shot?
Positional: https://x5support.shotscope.com/hc/en-us/articles/13567079022737-What-is-a-positional-shot-

Tee boxes. If you are referring to what is shown on the watch, since tee shots are recorded from where the shot takes place (except for teeing off from an area not mapped as a teeing area), all that matters when selecting a tee on the watch before teeing off is if the par for each hole is correct. Otherwise, it does not matter. They had to add a tee box selection as you can now keep score on the watch should you so desire, but, like I just said, as long as the par for each hole is correct that is all that matters. This becomes much more of an issue for the women, as many times the par for women on a given hole is different.

The driving distance will be wrong on the Dashboard/app when editing, as the shot has been moved and placed on a tee box. I don't know if the distance on the watch during the round would be correct or not, since a "Last Shot Distance" is not saved on the watch and I can't remember a specific "Last Shot Distance" and don't write it down to compare it to what is shown in editing. You would have to contact Shot Scope support by email ([email protected]) and ask them.

First tee shot sliced into the woods, second one also. How do I add two penalty shots?

Not sure the best place to put this, but Shotscope customer service is awesome! Last year I was, we will call it seeking, off the tee early in the year, rotating drivers and testing various second drivers. Needless to say my "bag" in the system got embarrassingly cluttered.

I reached out to the team and they were great in consolidation some of the past clubs for me as I no longer needed or wanted those various clubs broken out.

First tee shot sliced into the woods, second one also. How do I add two penalty shots?

I’d strongly advise to hit straight drives. Although the majority seems to favour slices..(everybody is doing it so it must be good), there are some benefits to straight drives: less walking, easier to locate the ball…etc etc

Of course, like in all sports, we want out scores as high as possible which might be a benefit of the slice, but then the struggle of adding the shots in the watch remains.

Difficult question, I have to say.

Fairways & Greens

I believe you add the first one on the shot and then add one separate of the shot. The only shortfall I believe is that it skews the strokes gained as it doesn't pick up the second one in the woods.

I'm not sure how to best do it live, but would think the functionality would work.

If nothing else, during the round sign off it should be fairly painless to edit as needed.

So, my first 9 hole round with the x5, and the watch was flawless. The only issues I had was when I made some practice swings with my driver at a green before walking to the next tee box. 2 hours for the 9 holes and I was left with 70% battery.

I’d strongly advise to hit straight drives. Although the majority seems to favour slices..(everybody is doing it so it must be good), there are some benefits to straight drives: less walking, easier to locate the ball…etc etc

Of course, like in all sports, we want out scores as high as possible which might be a benefit of the slice, but then the struggle of adding the shots in the watch remains.

Difficult question, I have to say.

Fairways & Greens
The two drives were on a par 5 slight dogleg right. I usually hit a nice fade that leaves me with a 5i into the green. Probably should just hit it straight and then have an easy two shots to the green. But getting an opportunity to hit the green in two is too tempting. :D

Last edited:
So, my first 9 hole round with the x5, and the watch was flawless. The only issues I had was when I made some practice swings with my driver at a green before walking to the next tee box. 2 hours for the 9 holes and I was left with 70% battery.
Assume those were just a couple of quick deletes in post round editing. Post round editing on the computer is just so easy.

Back