Going to Disneyworld in early June...

Flintstone

Reaction score
Handicap
Like the title says I'm going to Disneyworld with the family in June. I'm probably only going to get to play1 round for the week. Which course is the best to play. Keep in mind I'm going to be using rental clubs so I don't want to play something stupid difficult without my own sticks.

Grand Cypress
Reunion
Orange County National

those are some of my favorites in the orlando area.

you could also try:
ChampionsGate
Legends at Orange Lake
Mystic Dunes
Shingle Creek
Hawks Landing
Celebration

If you are playing one round, play disney.

Grand Cypress, Disney, Bay Hill IMHO are the best in Orlando

If you're already at Disney (staying there?) then you should really just play Disney, great courses and you can't beat the convenience. I played Disney's Magnolia course a couple years back, it was great. Not terribly difficult and there's a PGA Tour event there every year so that added to it for me.

Disney's Osprey Ridge is nice as is Celebration. Shingle Creek and Falcon's Fire are options as well.

If you are staying in a Disney hotel you get free taxi transportation to and from the course if you play a Disney course, too. Nice little perk if you don't have a rental car. I'd just do that and play the Magnolia.

If you are staying offsite anyway and are already closer to a non-Disney course, the options are almost limitless.

I agree with the comments about playing a Disney course if you're staying on site. If that's the case, I also suggest The Magnolia. If an off-site course is an option, Orange County National is a great choice. It's not far from the Disney property and the courses are both fantastically fun. Grande Pines is a favorite of mine, too. It's near Sea World, so maybe the family can see Shamu while you hit the links.

Yeah we're staying at animal kingdom. Looks like I'll be playing magnolia for sure and if i can sneak in another round I'll try one of the other courses at the resort.

edit: The greens fee's are surprisingly low for it being a course used in the tour...

I played the Palm 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. It wasn't horribly difficult and everyone breaks their backs to get you what you need (typically Disney anything). The only issue was they were having troubles with racoons raiding carts on the back 9. We were warned to everything of value secured in our bags. Have a great trip. KCM

Yeah we're staying at animal kingdom. Looks like I'll be playing magnolia for sure and if i can sneak in another round I'll try one of the other courses at the resort.

edit: The greens fee's are surprisingly low for it being a course used in the tour...

You are going in the offseason, so you can expect lower greens fees. Many dont realize that the golf season is completely the opposite here in FL.

We've stayed at the Animal Kingdom resort. Very nice. Kids loved looking out at wildlife first thing in the morning and last thing at night. If you've never been CALL TODAY about lunch with Cinderalla (assuming you have a girl under 10). Pricey. But, worth every penny.

Do I typically need to call ahead for a tee time or should I be ok to set one up when I get to Florida?

In June you really shouldnt have any problem getting a time. Play in the AM to somewhat beat the heat and the afternoon rains.

wow, just realized they charge $45.00 to rent clubs... nothing like almost doubling the price of the greens fees. It might be worth it to fly my own clubs down for 50.00

Played Disney's Magnolia and Osprey Ridge in November. Magnolia is worth it just for the Mickey Bunker, but I enjoyed playing Osprey Ridge more. Plus Disney is transferring Osprey Ridge to the Four Seasons Resort some time in 2014. So Disney guests may not have access to the course in the near future.

Ive played both Grand Cypress and Orange County National - Crooked Cat. Both great courses. I would say Grand Cypress if i was renting clubs though. But also either way they were both great courses.

You can't go wrong with any of the Disney courses. I was down there in Dec. and played 36 holes at Palm, Magnolia and LBV. I really enjoy LBV. You will see more wildlife on Palm and Magnolia.

wow, just realized they charge $45.00 to rent clubs... nothing like almost doubling the price of the greens fees. It might be worth it to fly my own clubs down for 50.00

IMO, if your clubs are standard loft/lie, leave them home and use the rentals. You'll have enough on your plate hauling around your families luggage and whatever it is ya'll buy there and bring home with you.

Disney rental clubs are high-end OEM's. I think they were Titleist's when I played there 3 years ago.

Of the Disney courses, I enjoyed Osprey Ridge the most by quite a large margin. Magnolia is the tour course, but I found it a little bland compared to Osprey Ridge, which is a Tom Fazio design and probably isn't the tour course because there's no room for spectators as it winds through the wilderness back away from all the hubub of Disney.

FYI - Disney often runs specials where rental clubs are free for resort guests. Check and see - it will be on the main Disney website under special offers, usually. If you do fly your clubs down the concierge will hold them for you in their storage until you need them and then you can use that free taxi ride to get them to the clubhouse for your round. You may also want to check Golfnow as their rate is often cheaper than the Disney rate (even for passholders, which I thought was stupid - cheaper for me to book through the Golfnow site than to use my annual pass discount!) They probably wouldn't do the free rentals (if available) if you don't book through Disney, however.

The rentals at Disney courses are Titleist stiff shafted steel (stiff graphite for woods/hybirds) and Cobra regular flex graphite. They are will kept and new models (when I played last year one of the guys in my group was using rentals and they were AP2s and 910s, for instance).

The Animal Kingdom lodge is fantastic. Amazing resort. The lobby is spectacular, the animals are a lot of fun to see, there's all sorts of activities going on for adults and kids (ask for the schedule - they do all sorts of stuff every day your kid might love), and the main restaurant, Jiko, is fantastic. We love Jiko. Boma, the buffet, is pretty good, too. Another fun option is to get room service delivered and eat on your balcony looking out over the animals on the savannah (if you have a savannah view room).

Let me know if you have any questions about the resort or Disney in general. We've spent far more time and money at Disney than is probably healthy for a 32 year old man... :)

Back