Golf: Science or Art?

Golf: Science or Art?

• Total voters
Great question.

I chose art, because I think a certain person can pick up a club and be good. Just naturally good. Has there even been a naturally gifted scientist, without the learning process?

On the course, I think it can be science up to a certain point. I think of Tiger to describe the science part. Sure he's naturally gifted, but look at how many times he has re-learned and re-applied the mechanics of a golf swing effectively.
Then, on the other side, I would have someone like Seve. Sure, in the swing, all the parts are in the right places at the right time, but if you ask him to describe the science behind hitting a 60 yard chip up to the hole, off the slope behind the pin and stiff....he would struggle to give you a scientific answer.

it has to art all the way. if it was science and science is supposed to logical, then whats logical about wanting to play in the rain, snow and any other kind of weather out there ha ha ha

I'm a massive science person...and take a similar approach to my play (yes, I'm the guy that likes to know exactly how far the pin is and what clubs hit the exact distances etc...). But at the end of the day, the better I've got, the more I've realised you have to have that "feel" of a shot. Judge the lie, slope, elevation changes, wind speed/direction, ball flight, and because of all this I'd have to lean on Art.

I think it's a science of some sort. Otherwise there'd be no need for fittings (shafts flex/length, grips, lofts, lie angles, etc). Otherwise everyone would have the same sort of equipment.

I think the equipment is science and the swing is art

This is basically what I was going to say. There's a ton of physics and pure science involved in making a club and getting a ball to fly and how to optimize that flight at impact, but the swing itself - and especially scoring - are more of an art.

I tend to lean more toward the science side of the game. Only becasue these players all have the same imapct zone from hip to hip. Meaning they are in the slot from the right hip to the left hip for right handed golfer and vis versa for lefties. What happens at the top of the swing and finish making their swings unique. but were is counts, they are all the same. Now, some guys hold on for the fade and other release for the draw but all in the slot.

This seems to be a very good argument for science. And I know that whenever I'm struggling the only way for me to correct my problems while on the course is to go back to basics and be very scientific about my approach in order to eliminate my mistakes. After fixing my errors I start hitting great shots, shots that could be interpreted as art when in reality it's a result of science.

This is basically what I was going to say. There's a ton of physics and pure science involved in making a club and getting a ball to fly and how to optimize that flight at impact, but the swing itself - and especially scoring - are more of an art.

Awesome point about scoring! Your game can be going strong but you still might not be able to score. You could be hitting good approach shots and rolling good putts but they just might not be going in. I'm definitely still trying to perfect the art of scoring.

It is definitely art. You see many different golf swings out there and they all work well. My best example is Jim Furyk, who else can swing like that and still hit the ball as good as him? Great golf is an art form and there can be many interpretations of a great swing.

It is definitely art. You see many different golf swings out there and they all work well. My best example is Jim Furyk, who else can swing like that and still hit the ball as good as him? Great golf is an art form and there can be many interpretations of a great swing.

Tommy Gainey. There is another example.. except since it's an art his painting is really awful..

Back