The Sounds Of Putters

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I just took out 8 putters and hit each one to hear the different sounds and try and relate that. More on that coming soon in a separate thread because we are going to mic some stuff up for recording and get you some info.

But for this my question is, do you notice the sound conciously, or get it more through feel? And taking that further, do you have a preference in sound? Meaning low, high pitched, etc.

I can hear a more clicky sound with some of my putters but that also has to do with the ball. I actually prefer just a smooth roll off the face as Im zoned in on feeling the ball off the face and tempo that I pretty much ignore any sound.

It's definitely something that I notice, and it does seems to correlate with the feel. A softer, deeper milled putter is going to have a lower tone, where as a putter with little to no milling, as well as a harder material, is going to make more of a harsh click.

All my feel is through sound, I like a soft muted sound. I always feel like I'm going to pound it and blow everything past the hole when the sound is more high pitched.

I don't know that I have a sound preference for a putter, and I'd have to consciously listen to even notice I think.

I do notice the sound and could almost do a blind identication test on the 6 different metal composition and/or face millings of my various SeeMores. The only 3 that give off comparable sounds are mFGP, mFGP2 and ONEcs as they are all carbon with the same face milling.

For me with a putter, it has nothing to do with sound it's all feel. Truthfully I don't even know what my putter sounds like

I prefer a dull sound in a putter and feel is in my hands sound is in the ears lol, I know when I miss and hit the mark by both though.

I prefer a softer sound at impact, it gives me the perception that the putter has a softer feel. I think it is why the ProType ix beat put the MXM Versa as my gamer.

For me it was feel. The true roll of the ball off impact compared to my starter set putter was incredible.

Until recently I never really paid attention. I have 2 SeeMore and a Cleveland. I will be giving this a go but I don't think i have equated sound to feel with a putter.

Sound has a lot to do with feel IMO.

This past Sunday, I rolled my smoke diamond m2c all day. Then on 17, Fupresti let me roll his z3c for the lulz. Talk about two completely different sounding/feeling putters. My smoke diamond m2c felt soft and sounded muted. His z3c sounded clicky and felt pretty harsh. It was the first time I actually heard/felt two putters completely different. And there is no doubt in my mind which one I prefer.

This past Sunday, I rolled my smoke diamond m2c all day. Then on 17, Fupresti let me roll his z3c for the lulz. Talk about two completely different sounding/feeling putters. My smoke diamond m2c felt soft and sounded muted. His z3c sounded clicky and felt pretty harsh. It was the first time I actually heard/felt two putters completely different. And there is no doubt in my mind which one I prefer.

Was his platinum, black gunmetal or smoke diamond? My smoke diamond (carbon steel) of that model is probably the most muted in my collection.

I would really have to focus on the sound to really tell a difference in most putters. Most feel is sound I do like to have a feel that is a little dense (for lack of better term). I tend not to hit it a mile past the hole. I also think that the swing weight and overall weight plays a lot into feel.

But for this my question is, do you notice the sound conciously, or get it more through feel? And taking that further, do you have a preference in sound? Meaning low, high pitched, etc.

I think it is more through feel than actual noise that I notice. To be honest, it doesn't really matter what the sound/feel is like as long as I can tell where on the face I hit the ball.

Was his platinum, black gunmetal or smoke diamond? My smoke diamond (carbon steel) of that model is probably the most muted in my collection.
Total guess, but going with black gunmetal. It had some fertilizer damage to the finish.

Total guess, but going with black gunmetal. It had some fertilizer damage to the finish.

Probably was. That one is carbon also. Weird that my black gunmetal z2c actually has a louder clicking sound than my smoke diamond z3c. Both are carbon heads with the same face milling. Sounds like that was the case with his z3c also.

I've heard a particular sound at home while carpet putting in an enclosed room and then gotten to the course and had it sound completely different out in the open

I get it more through feel unless it's just really obvious.

Plus the ball can have a very noticeable impact IMO.

I think for me most of the time I get the sound from feel. I don't consciously listen for sound on a normal basis. A nice low click is what I am looking for in a putter. That's why I stayed away from a lot of inserts for awhile. It felt and sounded soft, if that makes sense, but not that I have found the new WHP insert I am more inclined to putt with one. Still love my MXM though.

In a putter more than any other club, sound is feel IMO.

Milling, cavity pockets, sole slots, inserts, material...they all impact how vibrations at impact are "filtered" and relayed if you will. More dampening means lower sound means softer feel.

For me, its a very much a conscious thing, and they first thing I notice with any putter use or review. The interesting thing about it all though, put earplugs in, and they all blend together, IMO the impact of sound is very very real, unless you can't hear it.

Deep click, a plush sound if you will, that is my sweet spot with a putter.

Back