The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is Vero Beach? Nice? Might have an opportunity there.

TTing

I have spent zero amount of time away from the beach there, but I certainly think you could do alot worse. Lakeland is an easy shot across the state from there, I could see alot of golf being played.

Vero Beach as an actual city is very small. About 15,000 residents. It has some nice parts and some average parts. Older area in my opinion but certainly not a bad area.

We are fortunate that in the "big" cities here, these policies are not in place. Although we also lack any real form of public transportation so that is a weakness of course.

Fortunately, we have high parking AND substandard public transportation.

The money could potentially be there to expand public transit and put ATL on par with other cities (SF, Bos, NY, Chi). But those living in the suburbs are scared that criminals will take public transit to the suburbs, rob them blind, and then take public transit back to the inner city. (Because all criminals (1) live in the inner city and (2) don't drive.)

This is what people actually think, while driving 60+min for their normal commute. Amazing stuff here.

When I would visit my parents who lived near Atlanta in Duluth, I had no problem. This weekend driving around Suwanee and Alpharetta, I wanted to murder people. I couldn't live in that part of Atlanta.

Professors who assign 'Pre-Semester Assignments'.

I'm not doing anything until the semester starts. Get out of here with that mess...

I'm not doing anything until the semester starts. Get out of here with that mess...

Things like this make me not miss college.

Hey, this is the rant thread, not the "I guess things aren't so bad where I live" thread. You guys need to find something to complain about.

That could be the dumbest thing I've heard.

My favorite course here at home is having a 2 man scotch tournament in September and all my guys keep turning me down!!! I wish the THPers I met in Atlanta lived in Knoxville. Finding a teammate would be no problemo!

#golfprobz

You guys with your transport issues. My city of 50,000 people takes 10 minutes to drive from end to end. Public transport is a bus or a cab. The cab is expensive, and the bus takes 2 hours.

Our main transport issue is when it rains and hails like crazy for an hour (like yesterday), and the streets are literally full of water.

Memo's to be at a district wide meeting at a certain time only to find out the person in charge was off by 30 minutes in the memo. Nice.

Memo's to be at a district wide meeting at a certain time only to find out the person in charge was off by 30 minutes in the memo. Nice.

Didn't you get the memo? I'll make sure you get a copy of the memo.

Do we have any "big" cities in Fl?

And no I don't consider Miami part of FL.
Taking Miami out, which is larger than Atlanta (I think one spot higher in the "market") which deems them based on census size, Tampa is top 20. 18th last I saw right ahead of St. Louis.
For Television market ranks it's a bit different. They are based on the census, but often include other cities and surrounding areas. Lots of large markets in FL.

#14 Tampa - St. Pete
#16 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale
#19 Orlando-Daytona-Melbourne
#38 West Palm
#50 Jacksonville

Atlanta is #9; St. Louis #21.

My favorite course here at home is having a 2 man scotch tournament in September and all my guys keep turning me down!!! I wish the THPers I met in Atlanta lived in Knoxville. Finding a teammate would be no problemo!

#golfprobz

Quoted cause I just got shot down by another guy.

Geez

For Television market ranks it's a bit different. They are based on the census, but often include other cities and surrounding areas. Lots of large markets in FL.

#14 Tampa - St. Pete
#16 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale
#19 Orlando-Daytona-Melbourne
#38 West Palm
#50 Jacksonville

Atlanta is #9; St. Louis #21.

But that is exactly what i'm talking about, those "markets" are huge. Daytona and Melboure are not even remotely close to being one "city" with Orlando. I bet Sarasota and Lakeland are included in the Tampa tv market.

Quoted cause I just got shot down by another guy.

Geez

But that is exactly what i'm talking about, those "markets" are huge. Daytona and Melboure are not even remotely close to being one "city" with Orlando. I bet Sarasota and Lakeland are included in the Tampa tv market.

Not completely but some. Sarasota does have its own channels.

THat is why the TV market is not used most of the time. However to be fair, Sarasota is barely 20 minutes from St Pete and 45 from Tampa. So if you did the same thing in every other market, you would see the same results.

Not completely but some. Sarasota does have its own channels.

THat is why the TV market is not used most of the time. However to be fair, Sarasota is barely 20 minutes from St Pete and 45 from Tampa. So if you did the same thing in every other market, you would see the same results.

But the difference to me is in the actual "big cities" the suburbs are just outside the city, and seem to grow for miles and miles from the city, in places like DC and Atlanta.

If you drive from Tampa to Brandon or Wesley Chapel, those places feel like they are still part of the same community. Sarasota, while not all that far, doesn't at all feel like an extention of Tampa, you pass miles of emptyness before getting to Bradenton.

I don't know what the point of this discussion is anymore. But I still feel like the bay area, when you encompass everything, is large. But Tampa is not a big city in any way.

Bought a club I was looking for on ebay from the US, fairly large Ebay prescence.

$67 for the club, $40 for shipping because I am in Canada. Now FedEx is squeezing me for another 20 in taxes... WTF.

For $130 I could have had one from Canada, with a headcover..... bunch of money hungry pigs !

But Tampa is not a big city in any way.

Im not sure how many big cities you have spent considerable time in, but Tampa is definitely a big city. As for the other stuff, I dont disagree, but again, its the same in almost every major market I have ever been in. Its not stacked onto each other like most believe. There is a ton of empty space.

EDIT: Using LA and Boston as an example. Both have tons of areas of nothing that are still considered part of the market as they move towards the next "section". Check out Cape Cod counting as part of the Boston TV market.

http://www.city-data.com/top1.html

According to this list #56 in the US.

Cities that are bigger include places like Sacremento, Fresno, Witchita, El Paso, Nashville.

Maybe we just have different standards of "big" but I think of places like Miami, ATL, DC, Chicago, Houston, Dallas (although granted I'm considering the metro area there) all of which I've spent considerable time in.

Yep, it's tied to where the stations are broadcasting from, or did a some point. Florida is a unique area with several medium to large cities that relatively close to each other. Some markets cover entire states!

http://www.city-data.com/top1.html

According to this list #56 in the US.

Cities that are bigger include places like Sacremento, Fresno, Witchita, El Paso, Nashville.

Maybe we just have different standards of "big" but I think of places like Miami, ATL, DC, Chicago, Houston, Dallas (although granted I'm considering the metro area there) all of which I've spent considerable time in.

Are you going by sheer size? It seems that two different things are being discussed.

Then add in the idea of major markets for TV and media. I edited my last post as an example. Take a look at Boston as the prime example. While you consider Sarasota (which is not entirely) too far to be part of the market and then see how far they spread out for that market. Cape Cod is considered part of the Boston market. Do you know how far and how much "nothingness" you pass between Boston and Cape Cod? The same is in every market.

Are you going by sheer size? It seems that two different things are being discussed.

Then add in the idea of major markets for TV and media. I edited my last post as an example. Take a look at Boston as the prime example. While you consider Sarasota (which is not entirely) too far to be part of the market and then see how far they spread out for that market. Cape Cod is considered part of the Boston market. Do you know how far and how much "nothingness" you pass between Boston and Cape Cod? The same is in every market.

That was my original point, while as a market and an "area" the tampa bay area is large, I don't think of life in Tampa as "big city life". Granted I've never lived "in" Tampa. Tampa by size is not a big city, and I don't think it resembles the "big" cities. I haven't spent any time in Boston, so maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think of life in Boston as being very similar to life in Tampa. Same applies to life in ATL or life in DC. And the populations of those cities aren't similar either.

Bought a club I was looking for on ebay from the US, fairly large Ebay prescence.

$67 for the club, $40 for shipping because I am in Canada. Now FedEx is squeezing me for another 20 in taxes... WTF.

For $130 I could have had one from Canada, with a headcover..... bunch of money hungry pigs !

I've been there man. What did you buy

But Tampa is not a big city in any way.
Big enough to have Pro Football, Baseball, and Hockey teams. That's why you can't just look at the city limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back