Trying to Break 80 Club

well i guess i can finally post here. Posted an 85 (37 + 48). next step is breaking 80! need to be more patient, feel like as the round gets longer, i lose my focus. Felt like i had some ugly 3 putts on the back 9. But +2 after the front...ridiculous.

well i guess i can finally post here. Posted an 85 (37 + 48). next step is breaking 80! need to be more patient, feel like as the round gets longer, i lose my focus. Felt like i had some ugly 3 putts on the back 9. But +2 after the front...ridiculous.

First off bring some good old PB&J sandwiches. Have half a sandwich about every 4 holes. That will help with energy and focus. Watch the pros - that's what a lot of them are eating on the course. Maybe something like Nuun for electrolytes and hydration too.

Next - don't look at your scorecard except to write in scores. The more I ignore it the better I play. I never looked at it Sunday until I entered it for handicap. Really honestly. I drove the cart with the scorecard attached to the wheel but I never looked at it added up anything until after the round.

Thanks! Usually i just go gummy bears and water for my round (i know, not very good). But had Gatorade, granola bar, and felt a lot better than i usually do. I'll step it up to PBJ on Friday's round.

First off bring some good old PB&J sandwiches. Have half a sandwich about every 4 holes. That will help with energy and focus. Watch the pros - that's what a lot of them are eating on the course. Maybe something like Nuun for electrolytes and hydration too.

Next - don't look at your scorecard except to write in scores. The more I ignore it the better I play. I never looked at it Sunday until I entered it for handicap. Really honestly. I drove the cart with the scorecard attached to the wheel but I never looked at it added up anything until after the round.

I've been really close a few times this year. Shot 81 twice (once in Myrtle Beach, once on a local muni). Definitely left some putts out there, which has kind of been my Achilles heel this year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Keep at it jtb, you will get the job done.

My wife broke 80 for the first time today! She has a better low score than I do, by two shots!

anyvuru3.jpg

My wife broke 80 for the first time today! She has a better low score than I do, by two shots!

anyvuru3.jpg

Wow! How awesome, I think. She gonna be rubbing that in your face??

I had to wait until after the coverage aired but I was only 5 or 6 over par after 15 Sunday at the Morgan Cup. I am almost certain I would have had a PB and broke 80 for the first time. My only goal for the rest of the year is now to break 80.

Shot a 78 tonight! My game is just clicking right now and I hope it never ends.

Congrats, AG! I hope I can just sniff about an 80 on Sunday or Monday.

Shot 80 yesterday after a bogey coming in on the last hole, lol. It's a tough track, but started so strong I thought I could get it done. 39/41

Nice work AG!

Last two rounds were in the 70s, but at an easier course than I'm playing today. Hoping to keep it in the low 80s.

Congrats, AG and drp3434!

I played for the first time in three weeks and it showed. Took six holes before my swing showed up. While my driving was good today, I kept pushing my irons to the right. Played in a three person best ball and was paired with a 20Hcp and my sister who is a 30+Hcp. We shot even par which I thought was pretty good considering the way I started. My sister was shocked we got paired together. They just did a lottery to pick teams. I told her " Who knew I could have this much fun with my sister".

Thanks Golfever! Yesterday was brutal for me. Sounds like you had a good time and that's all that matters. Par in best ball is pretty good with some higher handicappers.

Hi! This year I graduated from the breaking 90 club to the staying under 90 club and now in the chasing the seventies!

being a high nineties guys for the time being, I now have shot a few rounds in arow in the 80s, one as low as 84, I feel like my game is getting there, mostly because of the things I learned on THP, and I feel I'm not done getting better and i've never had that much fun playing golf!

Congrats to your wife. I don't think I could handle my wife beating me at golf! Although she has been earning more than me each year for the last decade or so....

Well, I didn't break 80, but think I might could have managed it, had it not been basically black dark when I finished my 9th hole.
For 9 holes, I shot -1.
It wasn't pretty golf by any means, but it was effective.
I only hit 3 greens, but also only had 10 putts for the 9 holes. Only two of the putts were longer than 5' and I made one of them.
Basically, I managed to keep it in play and let my chipping do all of the work.

Third time under 80 and second time this season. Tied my all time best with a 79 from the whites today! 40/39 with a 7 (three off the tee) on a par 4 on the back nine. Parred the last 4 holes of the back (including Amen Corner) and was 1-under on the first three holes on the back. So my best ever stretch of 7 holes. Ended with a three putt from 15 feet on the par 3 13th. Then parred the 14th. So, also my best ever 9 hole stretch (even par). Also brought my handicap down to 14.0.

Third time under 80 and second time this season. Tied my all time best with a 79 from the whites today! 40/39 with a 7 (three off the tee) on a par 4 on the back nine. Parred the last 4 holes of the back (including Amen Corner) and was 1-under on the first three holes on the back. So my best ever stretch of 7 holes. Ended with a three putt from 15 feet on the par 3 13th. Then parred the 14th. So, also my best ever 9 hole stretch (even par). Also brought my handicap down to 14.0.

Was this at painted?

Was this at painted?

Yep. I even got a par on 14 from the sand on the left at about 130 out. My three off the tee was on 15. Hit it in the craparee way right. Didn't even bother looking for it.

Way to go Smally, nice round!

Hey Smalls - congrats buddy. Just curious, but now that you have broken through the 80 barrier a few times what do you think is holding your HC from dropping towards 10. I can't seem to crack 80 but I have played my last several rounds between 81-86 and seen the HC drop little by little.

Hey Smalls - congrats buddy. Just curious, but now that you have broken through the 80 barrier a few times what do you think is holding your HC from dropping towards 10. I can't seem to crack 80 but I have played my last several rounds between 81-86 and seen the HC drop little by little.

A 79 from the blues at my course is a 10.7 differential. 81 is a 12.6 and 83 is 14.4. To get to a 10 I am going to need to have a lot more rounds sub 80.

Not the hardest course in the area as the slope from the blues is 119. But I can't beat the price, which is free.

Back