Stubbornness--Why didn't I change?

yoopergolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Last summer was my first real summer to dedicate to becoming a decent golfer. So this past winter and I went and bought Mizuno blades, thinking this is what I needed to have. I used them all summer long and didn't even think about my old set of irons. This past weekend was the club championship. I had high expectations--ended up shooting back to back 83s, not exactly what I was aiming for.

My biggest weakness all weekend was my irons, just wasn't making good contact. So I switched my bag out yesterday and put the Callaway Razr X blacks back in the bag. What a difference. Can't work the ball all that well, but it's the straight shot I have been missing! Ball traveled higher and further and the mishits---man, much more forgiving. Ego got in the way. Sometimes you just have to tell yourself you don't need what tour players would use to be an effective golfer. Disappointed it took me so long to even get the old irons out of the garage.

Ego does funny things. The key though it overcoming it, which it looks like you have!

My biggest weakness all weekend was my irons, just wasn't making good contact. So I switched my bag out yesterday and put the Callaway Razr X blacks back in the bag. What a difference. Can't work the ball all that well, but it's the straight shot I have been missing! Ball traveled higher and further and the mishits---man, much more forgiving. Ego got in the way. Sometimes you just have to tell yourself you don't need what tour players would use to be an effective golfer. Disappointed it took me so long to even get the old irons out of the garage.

Look at what Colin Montgomery did with his Razr XF irons this year. Two majors on the Champions Tour is pretty spiffy. If he can play with the game improvement irons it speaks volumes for those that want to have a bag that looks like a tour pros bag.

I do believe in playing what you want to play, but those who discount forgiveness are selling themselves short. It's a real thing and there are some huge benefits there for the average golfer. Some drawbacks as well, mostly in non-tanglible or aesthetic ways, but I do acknowledge they exist.

Good luck going forward.

I put my Adams CMB's back in the bag for a practice session yesterday, since I will be gaming them again next week while my dad borrows my much more forgiving CB3's while he's in town. Man, the difference is painful. I can make it work, but I am looking forward to getting the forgiveness back.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Sometimes the simplest things are right before our eyes. Glad you realized the difference and made the change. Those blades will be waiting for their time to shine!

I know a guy who did a similar thing. He started playing Titleist blades thinking that he ll learn to strike the ball better. I told him that he was nuts for doing that and that they wouldn't help him at all. I saw him the other day and he said he switched back to his AP2's and golf got fun again.

I don't beef anyone who decides to play blades but I don't think there's any reason to make the game harder than it already is. Sounds like you made a great decision for yourself.

The first time around, when I broke 85, I bought a cavity blade Mizuno Grad MP, then when I broke 80 I got me a shinny set of MP-14, that's what good player use right? Then I saw the Nike tour guys play and the clubs they play, Big Bertha irons, what?? Then it hit me you don't need to work the ball, you just need to consistently make clean contact and distance. I demoed one and could not mishit the 6i to safe my life, bought a set 6 months later I was a 4 handicap, then I quit playing:)

Now 10 years later, my main set is Razx XF( I have both in steel and graphite), but I also have the Razr X forged set I play a round a week with to keep me humble. I still don't work the ball and probably won't til I'm in my + handicap. Though it does not show on my index yet, but for the last few weeks going on a month I have had more under par rounds than over par. There's no need for me to ever play pro type shots when I don't have the pro type practice discipline.

When I'm required to record what club I hit I'll stick with the one that gives me the widest margin of errors.

The way I see it is, Game improvement clubs would only allow you to hit 8 out of 10 consistently on your max shot potential where player's clubs would get you 9-10 max potential shots. Game improvement clubs' forgiveness would score just as high VS Blades which is the opposite.

I'm a happy medium player with happy medium game getting the most out of the happy medium clubs and get MAX happy.:banana:

The first time around, when I broke 85, I bought a cavity blade Mizuno Grad MP, then when I broke 80 I got me a shinny set of MP-14, that's what good player use right? Then I saw the Nike tour guys play and the clubs they play, Big Bertha irons, what?? Then it hit me you don't need to work the ball, you just need to consistently make clean contact and distance. I demoed one and could not mishit the 6i to safe my life, bought a set 6 months later I was a 4 handicap, then I quit playing:)

Now 10 years later, my main set is Razx XF( I have both in steel and graphite), but I also have the Razr X forged set I play a round a week with to keep me humble. I still don't work the ball and probably won't til I'm in my + handicap. Though it does not show on my index yet, but for the last few weeks going on a month I have had more under par rounds than over par. There's no need for me to ever play pro type shots when I don't have the pro type practice.

When I'm required to record what club I hit I'll stick with the one that gives me the widest margin of errors.

The Razr XF are sweet irons to say the least! :bomb:

The Razr XF are sweet irons to say the least! :bomb:

Oh, yes! Forged so I could bend it any way I wanted (well only 2* flat), and forgiving, not as big as the Razr HL. Love it. Picked up additional the steel set for less than $200 brand new when Rockbottomgolf had it on sale a few months ago. I heard that this club original MSRP was over 1K.

Ego does funny things. The key though it overcoming it, which it looks like you have!

Agree. Ego has made the game harder for millions of players, but at the same time it has made the OEM's a ton of money.......

Oh, yes! Forged so I could bend it any way I wanted (well only 2* flat), and forgiving, not as big as the Razr HL. Love it. Picked up additional the steel set for less than $200 brand new when Rockbottomgolf had it on sale a few months ago. I heard that this club original MSRP was over 1K.

Gawd that's an awesome deal!!!! Yea I had a set in graphite, traded them in, and then bought another set with the light weight GS95 regular steel shafts. These are my all time favorite set of irons bar none. They did cost above $1000.00 when the first came out. Like $1400.00 for graphite.

Working to ball is overrated, forgiveness is not!

Good to hear about the positive switch

With all that I've read, and I've read a lot, I've come to the conclusion that you need to have a set of GI or SGI irons, AND a set of blades. Chances are you'll play the GI or SGI irons 90-95% of the time, and the blades 5-10% of the time whenever you get the itch (lose your mind). Let's face it, the itch comes and goes, then comes back, then goes, then comes back again, and so on. Blades are just too damn sexy and when your swinging well and playing well, you start to think "I can do this" (NOT). Then after a few rounds or so, you come back to your senses...until the next time.

With all that I've read, and I've read a lot, I've come to the conclusion that you need to have a set of GI or SGI irons, AND a set of blades. Chances are you'll play the GI or SGI irons 90-95% of the time, and the blades 5-10% of the time whenever you get the itch (lose your mind). Let's face it, the itch comes and goes, then comes back, then goes, then comes back again, and so on. Blades are just too damn sexy and when your swinging well and playing well, you start to think "I can do this" (NOT). Then after a few rounds or so, you come back to your senses...until the next time.

Yep, that's what I'm doing. It works for me because I play 4-5 rounds a week so one round can be with the humble pie blade set, thinking about matching that set with the Honma persimmon driver and woods.

Yep, that's what I'm doing. It works for me because I play 4-5 rounds a week so one round can be with the humble pie blade set, thinking about matching that set with the Honma persimmon driver and woods.

Funny because I'm thinking about building something similar. Every once and awhile I visit the Louisville Golf site and look at their Classic 50s Driver and Niblick fairway woods. Combine them with a nice set of blades and my bullseye putter, and I'll have my vintage golf bag that I can take out for a walk from time to time.

I was comparing my old DPC's to my new AP1's on the range yesterday and I'm miffed at some of the results.
I hit the DPC 9i and PW better (consistent yardages, straighter) than my AP1 PW and W1 for some reason. I know its all wrong and that shouldn't be the case but it just is. From the 8i down to the 4i there's no contest, the AP1s are longer, straighter, and higher.

All in all I'm glad I made the switch. Being 180 out with an AP1 7i in hand is freaking sweet and hitting the green is a legit possibility, whereas being 180 out with a DPC 5i in hand all I can do is spray and pray...and then go find my ball. That is game changing right there. Eventually I'll tinker with those higher lofted AP1's and get some clubs in the bag that work best for me.

I was comparing my old DPC's to my new AP1's on the range yesterday and I'm miffed at some of the results.
I hit the DPC 9i and PW better (consistent yardages, straighter) than my AP1 PW and W1 for some reason. I know its all wrong and that shouldn't be the case but it just is. From the 8i down to the 4i there's no contest, the AP1s are longer, straighter, and higher.

All in all I'm glad I made the switch. Being 180 out with an AP1 7i in hand is freaking sweet and hitting the green is a legit possibility, whereas being 180 out with a DPC 5i in hand all I can do is spray and pray...and then go find my ball. That is game changing right there. Eventually I'll tinker with those higher lofted AP1's and get some clubs in the bag that work best for me.

No not at all, I'm finding it the same way. I like the Razr x Forged 9i, PW and AW too. How much can you miss hit those high lofted irons but the shots are straighter with less draw bias and I love heavier swing weight on shorts irons.

This isn't contributing to the thread BUT it contributed to lining me out on a thought, I Thought I had.

Back