Driver Adjustability Weight - Tech Talk w/ T.O.

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP TV with another Tech Talk with T.O. segment and this one gives an inside look at the internal structure of adjustable drivers.

[video=youtube;m-PCtbhGcUA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-PCtbhGcUA[/video]

Very cool to see. Love these little segments.

As always, simple, and easy to understand.

Another great video and pretty easy to drive home with the way he explains it plus having the props for us to see

Pretty awesome inside look. Cool to see a little bit of how club design has progressed.

• Admin
This was a video segment that I personally requested. The reason is because I have studied the internal structure for a while and have seen the differences between company releases. Some companies simply do this better than others.

Its a good reminder for people, they fight for grams and half grams in club design, it can make all of the difference.

This was a video segment that I personally requested. The reason is because I have studied the internal structure for a while and have seen the differences between company releases. Some companies simply do this better than others.

Will the 2015 releases for Cobra be the first T.O. has been involved with from start to finish?

pretty neat. i wonder how many different ideas they test before getting the "right" one.

Will the 2015 releases for Cobra be the first T.O. has been involved with from start to finish?

Hard to say. Products are worked on for large periods and when we talked to him about this, he said that 2015 had his involvement. I do not think based on timing he could have been on it from the beginning.

I'll also add, here on the forum there was some crap given by some for Cobra changing their adapter again with the Bio release but this explains visually what we have been saying as to why, its all about weight, and if they can save it in the hosel area of a club, it can make a WORLD of difference.

The beauty of engineering! Aerospace meets golf again. Structural integrity for a fraction the weight in order to make the added weight more beneficial to the golfer. Totally awesome. I could listen to T.O for hours

I'll also add, here on the forum there was some crap given by some for Cobra changing their adapter again with the Bio release but this explains visually what we have been saying as to why, its all about weight, and if they can save it in the hosel area of a club, it can make a WORLD of difference.
True, but it also comes back to their SmartPad technology, that allows them to create a ton of adjustments without altering the lie angle. They saw a chance to make still more adjustments from the same head by creating a different adapter. I would gladly take the simplicity of adjustments in the Cobra MyFly platform over a greater number of options that simply require more work. 8 settings via one simple adjustable neck, and an increasingly lightweight design that allows more weight to be put to better use, is a great combination, and easier to keep track of and put to use than many other companies' offerings, IMO.

Very cool. Love seeing the details in the cutaway of the club. So neat to see it and not just have it talked about. Love these little interviews.

Fighting for every little bit of weight to put where Cobra believes it needs to go, low and back, is such an interesting topic. When I think heel weight I think draw bias, but the fight for grams is huge for everyone. Like James said, the change in adaptor did draw some ire, but they aren't the only one to change recently and now I see why they did it. Cobra is doing some good things right now and TO is great at simplifying such complicated topics.

Very well explained. However, I agree with tyler here Low and back is interesting because I too associated weight towards the hosel as draw bias.

Low and back is however referring to the back of the club, in terms of depth rather than heel to toe

Great little segment. It is impressive how they are looking at moving grams in the head from one location to another.

True, but it also comes back to their SmartPad technology, that allows them to create a ton of adjustments without altering the lie angle. They saw a chance to make still more adjustments from the same head by creating a different adapter. I would gladly take the simplicity of adjustments in the Cobra MyFly platform over a greater number of options that simply require more work. 8 settings via one simple adjustable neck, and an increasingly lightweight design that allows more weight to be put to better use, is a great combination, and easier to keep track of and put to use than many other companies' offerings, IMO.
This. I shouldn't need a manual to adjust the loft.

Love this video and I really enjoy the insight and knowledge T.O. brings. I really could listen to him talk about golf clubs all day and not be bored once. Such a fascinating subject and something I hope to keep learning about.

I asked him how many other companies are saving hosel weight this way and surprisingly it was not many. He did say that one companies tour use club was hollowed out and frankly completely different weight wise.

Not saying it was inferior just completely different.

This is something I never really thought about with adjustable hosel clubs, but it does make sense. It is amazing how purposeful club makers have to be with the smallest amount of weight.

Great video. I love seeing cutaways.

Hopefully its OK, but this morning I realized we had taken a pic when we were out at Cobra for the MyFly event that could help give people a little more visual to what he's talking about with the hosel section.

i-B8t37Rh-L.jpg

Just an additional visual aid for the hosel section so you can see better what he's talking about with the fight for weight in that section to use elsewhere in the heads.

I asked him how many other companies are saving hosel weight this way and surprisingly it was not many. He did say that one companies tour use club was hollowed out and frankly completely different weight wise.

Not saying it was inferior just completely different.

This is something I hoped you would ask. Because honestly, there are some hefty and beefy adapters out there and it always makes me wonder who is being adjustable to be adjustable and who is trying to maximize the weight/performance/adjustability factor.

Back