Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

It depends on whether or not he had CFS shafts :bulgy-eyes:

Good point. Next time I'll grab one and check out his shaft :beat-up:

My CFS shafts are still awesome. I need to put a new write-up soon with some pics of the clubs. Right now I am in the process of making a pro combo type set with my i20's and SCOR wedges.

Getting home, I see that my new i20s and Tour S irons have arrived. These are yellow dots, stiff steel CFS shafts, mid size multicompound new decade grips. Tour S are Blue Dots. I purchased the blue dots because my I already own a 58 blue dot Tour S wedge which saved me a number of times around the green.

I headed over to the range and get a feel for these irons and distance. It's hot and very humid here in Atlanta around 6:30 pm. I brought 2 gloves. I decided to hit 10 balls per club (3i - PW, 50 & 54 Tour S). Striking the ball felt smooth and doesn't require much effort. I had a few mishits but the ball seems more controlled and more forgiving. I like the look at address and the finishing of these irons. The shafts are thicker than my Ping Zings and seems more controlled with less flex. My swing form still require some work in which I am taking lessons for. It is going to take some time dialing in the distances but I can tell you that I'm seeing about 15 to 20 yards more on my irons. My 8i distance was an eye opener avg around 160 yards on landing. The 3i and 4i are so easy to hit both tee and off the deck. With the humidity, I had to go thru 2 gloves. Maybe next time I should wear wrist bands so the sweat doesn't go down into the hands. I look forward to dialing in these babies and improve my accuracy. I am very happy to have these irons.

Without THP review, I don't know if I would have pulled the trigger on these irons. Thank you PING for giving THP the opportunity.

Congrats, fireant, and welcome to the i20 Hall of Game - good point on the long irons, I agree they are among the easiest I've ever hit which is why I have 4i back in my bag for the first time in many years

Getting home, I see that my new i20s and Tour S irons have arrived. These are yellow dots, stiff steel CFS shafts, mid size multicompound new decade grips. Tour S are Blue Dots. I purchased the blue dots because my I already own a 58 blue dot Tour S wedge which saved me a number of times around the green.

I headed over to the range and get a feel for these irons and distance. It's hot and very humid here in Atlanta around 6:30 pm. I brought 2 gloves. I decided to hit 10 balls per club (3i - PW, 50 & 54 Tour S). Striking the ball felt smooth and doesn't require much effort. I had a few mishits but the ball seems more controlled and more forgiving. I like the look at address and the finishing of these irons. The shafts are thicker than my Ping Zings and seems more controlled with less flex. My swing form still require some work in which I am taking lessons for. It is going to take some time dialing in the distances but I can tell you that I'm seeing about 15 to 20 yards more on my irons. My 8i distance was an eye opener avg around 160 yards on landing. The 3i and 4i are so easy to hit both tee and off the deck. With the humidity, I had to go thru 2 gloves. Maybe next time I should wear wrist bands so the sweat doesn't go down into the hands. I look forward to dialing in these babies and improve my accuracy. I am very happy to have these irons.

Without THP review, I don't know if I would have pulled the trigger on these irons. Thank you PING for giving THP the opportunity.

Last edited:
Wow that's a long 8 iron. I only hit mine 125-130!

Wow that's a long 8 iron. I only hit mine 125-130!

Thanks Perkins, I still have work to do on my swing. Hopefully with some more lessons, I can eliminate some bad habits and become more accurate. My main problem is keeping the front flat wrist at impact and longer lag on the down swing.

What did you think of the CFS shafts? You mentioned they feel more controlled with less flex, could you elaborate on that a bit.

Glad you got them out, it sounds like you saw some nice success out of the gates with them.

TC - I think the CFS shafts are fantastic!! The i20 CFS shafts are a little thicker but lighter than what I have on my old irons. I feel I have more control with the iron starting the downswing and not have that whippy feel or twisting. I have confirm via the homemade videos in slow motion. The less pressure I have on my hands to control the club increases club speed. The i20 seems to flow smoother thru the swing plane which gives me more confidence in the club. Misshits do not feel harsh on the arms/hands and shots were more forgiving. I did have a few fat shots but the shaft dampen the blow better than old irons. Also I feel I didn't have to put much effort into the swing which in turn should help me work on accuracy and not have to worry about distance. I believe the i20s will benefit those who like to creative with their shots. I look forward to use my higher irons more for my approach shots vs my old irons 1 or 2 clubs longer.

Based on the range results, I am confident enough to play these clubs in a small tourney this weekend. I do not have my distances dialed in but the accuracy is an improvement over my old irons. I'll take the accuracy over distance and will play a one club less when I determine my shots.

Well, i20s have helped me achieve one of my goals today. Broke 80 for the first time in 15+ years. Interesting to note that my kids are 15 years old. Last time I broke 80 we were living in Los Angeles and I was playing consistently. Today the illusive was captured again. While I'd like to give full credit to the i20s, it was tee play that was central. Hit every fairway (apart from two par 3s) on the front side and 4 of 7 on the back. 11 GIR and at least 3 3 putts, one double bogey. Missed a handful of makeable birdie putts. Sticking the 6i thru 9i today and hit a 200 yard shot to a green with the 4i that shocked me. The Tour wedges are starting to make more sense and on full swings they're deadly. If I can keep this tee play consistent, the i20s will definitely help me keep threatening scores in the 70s. Awesome feeling. Now I'm headed over to the SeeMore thread to see what I can do about my uninspired putting.

Hope all you i20 fans are having similar experiences.

Congrats and great shooting there JPaul. I hope the SeeMore works for you as well. They are great putters.

TapAhoy!

Well, i20s have helped me achieve one of my goals today. Broke 80 for the first time in 15+ years. Interesting to note that my kids are 15 years old. Last time I broke 80 we were living in Los Angeles and I was playing consistently. Today the illusive was captured again. While I'd like to give full credit to the i20s, it was tee play that was central. Hit every fairway (apart from two par 3s) on the front side and 4 of 7 on the back. 11 GIR and at least 3 3 putts, one double bogey. Missed a handful of makeable birdie putts. Sticking the 6i thru 9i today and hit a 200 yard shot to a green with the 4i that shocked me. The Tour wedges are starting to make more sense and on full swings they're deadly. If I can keep this tee play consistent, the i20s will definitely help me keep threatening scores in the 70s. Awesome feeling. Now I'm headed over to the SeeMore thread to see what I can do about my uninspired putting.

Hope all you i20 fans are having similar experiences.

Way to go JPaul.. Impressive GIR stat. Soon enough you will be in the 70s. Keep it up. I agree with you about the Tour S wedges. The full swings are deadly. I purchased a 58 Tour S about 2 months before I recieved my i20s. This wedge saved me a number of times and my buddies are quite impressed how much better I'm doing around the green. This is why I went ahead and purchased the 50 and 54 Tour S with my i20 set. If anyone is interested in the Tour S, PING has them now at discount. A steal if you ask me.

Everytime I venture in to this thread it makes me a little sad I didn't end up getting these sweet sticks. I can only wonder what could have been

Everytime I venture in to this thread it makes me a little sad I didn't end up getting these sweet sticks. I can only wonder what could have been

It's your lucky day, they're still for sale!

First post on the forum, though I've been lurking for some time. Figured this was the place to put this one.

As background, I used to be a fairly serious player, and about 6 years ago had my index down to a 1.2. Couldn't get any lower, though I was giving it a good try. Then some life happened, a move, a new job requiring a lot of travel, different set of friends who didn't play, etc, and I ended up playing much, much less. Like four times a year. At that point the Ping i3 Blades I was playing weren't getting it done for me anymore, so I sold them and picked up a friend's used set of Callaway Steelhead x16s. (Yes, it was as ridiculous as it sounds, though the forgiveness was needed).

Over the last 5 years or so my handicap hovered around 15. Then this year I've been able to get back into golf in a good way, and I've started playing pretty well again. Not all the way back, but my index is down to 6.2 and headed a good direction. Even put a 69 on the card yesterday, though it was on a goat track with a 66 rating. Anyway, long way around to saying I've had the itch for the last month or two to upgrade. I added the Callaway Razr Fit Tour driver to my bag a month ago, and now is iron time.

So I've hit lots of irons, looking for that perfect combo between a game improvement and a players club. I still need some forgiveness, but I'm ready for something fit for me and with some workability options. All my research and range testing was pointing me toward the i20s, and then I read this thread. It was a no-brainer.

So, I got fitted the other day for my i20s, 3-PW, Yellow Dot (1.5 upright), +.5 inches, with Dynamic Gold X100 shafts. Went with the DGs as I've loved them in the past and I'm a high-ball hitter. The stock Xs seemed to give me a little bit of a higher than wanted flight, so the X100s it is.

Can't wait. They think I'll have them by next weekend. I sure hope so. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, and to the forum in general. It's been a great resource!

First post on the forum, though I've been lurking for some time. Figured this was the place to put this one.

As background, I used to be a fairly serious player, and about 6 years ago had my index down to a 1.2. Couldn't get any lower, though I was giving it a good try. Then some life happened, a move, a new job requiring a lot of travel, different set of friends who didn't play, etc, and I ended up playing much, much less. Like four times a year. At that point the Ping i3 Blades I was playing weren't getting it done for me anymore, so I sold them and picked up a friend's used set of Callaway Steelhead x16s. (Yes, it was as ridiculous as it sounds, though the forgiveness was needed).

Over the last 5 years or so my handicap hovered around 15. Then this year I've been able to get back into golf in a good way, and I've started playing pretty well again. Not all the way back, but my index is down to 6.2 and headed a good direction. Even put a 69 on the card yesterday, though it was on a goat track with a 66 rating. Anyway, long way around to saying I've had the itch for the last month or two to upgrade. I added the Callaway Razr Fit Tour driver to my bag a month ago, and now is iron time.

So I've hit lots of irons, looking for that perfect combo between a game improvement and a players club. I still need some forgiveness, but I'm ready for something fit for me and with some workability options. All my research and range testing was pointing me toward the i20s, and then I read this thread. It was a no-brainer.

So, I got fitted the other day for my i20s, 3-PW, Yellow Dot (1.5 upright), +.5 inches, with Dynamic Gold X100 shafts. Went with the DGs as I've loved them in the past and I'm a high-ball hitter. The stock Xs seemed to give me a little bit of a higher than wanted flight, so the X100s it is.

Can't wait. They think I'll have them by next weekend. I sure hope so. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, and to the forum in general. It's been a great resource!

Congrats. And you were fitted into the EXACT same setup as I was. I went PXi 6.0 instead though.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Congrats TheWoo, I hope you enjoy your new clubs and blow past your old HC index.

Congrats. And you were fitted into the EXACT same setup as I was. I went PXi 6.0 instead though.

PXi 6.0 was the other recommendation, but my fitter swore by the DGs and I was familiar with them, so I went that way. Had to finally pull the trigger!

Biggest question for me now is what I'll see for distances. I've got some concern that if I hit them any further than the Callaways I'm currently playing I'll have a huge gap between my PW and 50* Cleveland. May be a good excuse to order up the i20 UW!

Welcome and congrats on the purchase!

Welcome to THP and congrats on the i20 pickup, Woo.

If I can ingrain the timing of my swing back to perfection, these i20's are going to be simply phenomenal for me. I am to the point where basically 95% of the time I am making pure, flush contact...it feels so good off the face. At this point, I am blocking some right here and there, and hooking a few when I try to play catch up with my hands. Both of these misses, however, feel great off the face so I know the contact is there. When I time everything up consistently, look out.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome.

I'm a whole stick longer with my new i20's (i8 is 160-165 now) and I ended up with the big gap at the bottom when I went to calculating my gaps as you mentioned. I know lots of people have raved about the 3 iron but for me I like hitting full shot with my wedges didn't want to have gap from PW (140) to my 54 (120). So the UW went in the bag and I'm very glad I did. There have been a bunch of write-ups on the wedges within these 217 pages but wouldn't want to take the UW out now. I also have your same specs but my fitter liked the Dynamic Gold XPS 300 shafts.

Enjoy those new i20's and please post your thoughts.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome.

I'm a whole stick longer with my new i20's (i8 is 160-165 now) and I ended up with the big gap at the bottom when I went to calculating my gaps as you mentioned. I know lots of people have raved about the 3 iron but for me I like hitting full shot with my wedges didn't want to have gap from PW (140) to my 54 (120). So the UW went in the bag and I'm very glad I did. There have been a bunch of write-ups on the wedges within these 217 pages but wouldn't want to take the UW out now. I also have your same specs but my fitter liked the Dynamic Gold XPS 300 shafts. .

Out of curiosity, what sticks were you hitting before?

Tapped (probably poorly) on my Transformer Prime

I was playing stock Hogan Apex Edges, which means I was WAY behind on the technology side.

I was playing stock Hogan Apex Edges, which means I was WAY behind on the technology side.

That's crazy. I was playing Hogan Apex irons before going to the i20s. I'm also seeing more distance as well, which is partially explained by the stronger lofts. I had a huge gap even with my Hogans and went with a UW as well and I couldn't be happier with it. I find it's very versatile and easy to hit.

Placed my order for a new set of i20 irons last week and can't wait to be them in. They are supposed to arrive Tuesday according to UPS.

The specs are blue dot with KBS C-taper shaft stiff flex. I ordered 4-UW with the PW and UW both 1 degree stronger.

Im excited to see how these perform on the course especially the shaft. I have currently been playing macgregor VIP vfoil 1025m with rifle 6.0 shafts. I don't play enou now to use blades so I wanted something a little more forgiving.

If anyone is familiar with how these stiff ctaper shafts will compare to the 6.0 rifle shafts I currently use I'd appreciate your feedback.

I know I may be crazy but I wasn't able to actually hit this combination before ordering. The fitter noticed I balloon the ball and have a very high launch angle on the rifle shafts and even hire with the stock ping shaft and KBS tour stiff. He suggested project x or c-taper and everything I have read about the two I went with c-taper stiff.

Again, I'm pumped and will report back next week after playing them but in the meantime I'd love to hear some feedback on this combination and the difference in my current rifle and c-taper, mainly the stiffness and how they play and feel.

It may be somewhere in the 217 pages but I couldn't find it, haha.

Thanks.

Placed my order for a new set of i20 irons last week and can't wait to be them in. They are supposed to arrive Tuesday according to UPS.

The specs are blue dot with KBS C-taper shaft stiff flex. I ordered 4-UW with the PW and UW both 1 degree stronger.

Im excited to see how these perform on the course especially the shaft. I have currently been playing macgregor VIP vfoil 1025m with rifle 6.0 shafts. I don't play enou now to use blades so I wanted something a little more forgiving.

If anyone is familiar with how these stiff ctaper shafts will compare to the 6.0 rifle shafts I currently use I'd appreciate your feedback.

I know I may be crazy but I wasn't able to actually hit this combination before ordering. The fitter noticed I balloon the ball and have a very high launch angle on the rifle shafts and even hire with the stock ping shaft and KBS tour stiff. He suggested project x or c-taper and everything I have read about the two I went with c-taper stiff.

Again, I'm pumped and will report back next week after playing them but in the meantime I'd love to hear some feedback on this combination and the difference in my current rifle and c-taper, mainly the stiffness and how they play and feel.

It may be somewhere in the 217 pages but I couldn't find it, haha.

Thanks.

First, WELCOME TO THP!

Second, CONGRATS on the i20's!

Third, CT's to many tend to play a bit stiffer than the stated flex. Alot of people say the S's in the CT's actually play about a 6.3 compared to the PX's 6.0. Don't know if that helps or not though.

I think you'll love them, its one heck of a combo if your a player who fits the CT's in my humble opinion (and it sounds like your fitter thinks you are).

Again, WELCOME! Be sure to keep us updated!

Back