Feedback about my Wedge Setup?

jwalker497

Reaction score
Handicap
2 Quick Questions about my Wedge options.

1. Do you prefer your GW to match your Irons or your Wedges? I have both a GW for my irons @ 50* and also a Vokey GW @ 50* but I go back and forth all the time as to which to play as they each have their pros and cons. I hit the GW about 80-90yds, I probably hit the iron GW a tad further than the vokey. PS I am not a long hitter a 7i is about 140 for me and my PW is 105ish.

One one hand, I like my Iron GW for hitting full shots becuase it seems to be more forgiving. On the other, I prefer the Vokey 50* Gap wedge becuase its more versatile around the green for chips and pitches.

Which do you think I should go with and why?

2. I'm also curious as to what lofts I should use for my wedges after the 50*? I have several vokeys so I can play all sports of combos but just curious which you think would better suited. I can go 50, 54, 58 or 50, 55, 60, or even 50, 54, 58, 62 (which I would have to remove a longer club). Right now, I currently use the 55/60 but have thought about going to maybe 54 and 58. My PW has 45* and my GWs are 50*

So which setup do you think I should go with?

That's it, I would appreciate any advice or insight you have.

When I bought my Ping G15s, I also bought the gap wedge, sand wedge, and lob wedge. Their setup was 45,50,54,58. I've since replaced my gap, sand and lob wedges with the same lofts but am using Cleveland wedges now. The G15s were a bit chunky. I'm wondering the same thing about the gap wedge. I have only had the new wedges for a few days now.

I think its just personal preference. My current setup goes thru PW then I have a 52, 56, 60 which all match, they are all blade style forged wedges which I prefer for accuracy. I have never liked a SW or AW that comes with the set, they look odd to me.

I game a 50* iron wedge and a 52* wedge, I set up for them differently. The iron for a full swing which gives me about 130 and the 52* I use with an open stance 3/4 swing which gives me between 110 and 120.

I go from a 3 wood to 4 hybrid because my 4 hybrid is good for about 220 and anything over that I probably shouldn't be going for the green anyway. IMO I'd rather have a gap in the long clubs than the short clubs.

As for your lofts, I'd go with whichever gives you the best gaps. My 52* is 110-125yds, 56* 90-105yds and 60* 70-85yds.

Good luck!

I have never used a gap wedge that was included in an iron set. Currently I have a 50* TaylorMade XFT as my gap wedge.

I like the 50-55-60 setup because it is even gaps, but depending on how far you hit each club, your setup could be different. Just try to find equal yardage gaps between your wedges.

I currently use 41,45,50,54 and 58 degree scoring clubs from SCOR. Custom fit and great performing clubs.

I like the 50, 55, 60 set up, although right now I have 50, 56, 60. I am able to do some things with my wedges with half swings and such that seem to compensate pretty easily, so it does somewhat depend on what you are comfortable doing IMO.

I use the pw and aw that came with my set. Then 54 and 60 degree cleveland wedges. I have thought about replacing my aw with another cleveland wedge, but I kind of like the matching aw wedge.

I like the 50°, 54°, 58° myself. And I prefer to have my wedges from a wedge specialized company like Vokey. That's all he does and focuses on. Its all personal preference though. I would find your yardage gaps & fill them appropriately with whatever clubs fill them regardless of what they say.

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

I currently use 41,45,50,54 and 58 degree scoring clubs from SCOR. Custom fit and great performing clubs.

Jealous! I like the idea of matching 9-LW with the same style clubs. I have a 48,52,56,60 Eidolons which I love. I swapped in and out my MP-30 PW(47) with my 48 a few times, but like the versatility of the 48 more. I think it is all personal preference and how you play the game.

I assume the 41* has replaced your 9iron, if so, how does the Scor 41* compare to your Iron club? Is it less forgiviging, more versatile, etc?

I will carry a 52, 56, 60 probably 95% of the time. If I am going to play the back tees or a track that is longer for whatever reason I will change out the 52 and 56 for a 54 and add in a 5 wood to give me one more long club in the bag.

Irons seem to have an avg of 4* difference of loft + approx .5 in change in shaft length. Together, these factors generally produce 10-12yd gaps in distance. However, when it comes to wedges, they are usually all the same length and just the loft changes.

So, I can't help but think having greater gaps in lofts of 5* or even 6* with wedges should translate to the 10-12yd gapping that irons produce because there is no change in Wedge shaft length. This is why I currently am going with the 50,55,60.

Thoughts?

Can you share your thoughts about your SCOR clubs? I'm very interested in the system and looking for some thoughts on the clubs!!

I would love to hear your thoughs on the SCOR clubs. Care to share?

I'm with you on wanting all the info on the Scor system. This looks like a no brainer way to go IMHO.

I'm with you on wanting all the info on the Scor system. This looks like a no brainer way to go IMHO.

Am I the only one who isn't seeing the point of the Scor? By that I mean how is it any different than using 4 wedges of the same brand ie vokeys or clevelands?

Can you share your thoughts about your SCOR clubs? I'm very interested in the system and looking for some thoughts on the clubs!!

I was playing with the Callaway Diablo Forged 4-pw and x forged wedges. Was introduced to SCOR and went through their fitting system and picked-up their 5 club system 41,45,50,54 and 58 (41 is about my nine iron) with their KBS shafts. While I love the forgiveness of the Callaway's in the longer irons I immediately put the SCOR clubs in the bag and they have not left. Great looking traditional looking sticks (even with the Hoganesque black and red ferrules) but really have a tremendous ammount of playability. So for me it was the best of both worlds-old school looking clubs with modern technology. The V-Sole technology really performs from all types of turf and sand conditions. Great spin that don't chew up the balls-like my older Volkeys did. In terms of feel going from my Callaway 8 iron to my SCOR 41 degree-no problem at all. Clubs are great for all touch and feel shots, chips, pitches ,bunkers and gives a great ball flight-no ballooning at all for the full swing. Even the little things like their grips are well thought out. FIrm on the top and soft on the bottom-for the feel shots. For refernce I play to a 1.6 index and hit my 41 degree about 135 yards (not a big bomber). Bottom line is that the clubs really perform, customer service was outstanding a well. I actually called them to see if they would make me clubs to replace my mid-irons-not yet.

Seems like everyone has a 50 except me! I play 45 then a 54 and 60. If I'm between pitching wedge and sand wedge I prefer a 3/4 swing. I think it's more accurate then full shots with 3/4 swings. However I probally should put one in the bag to not even think of 3/4 9 or pw, but I love my 2 hybrid

Seems like everyone has a 50 except me! I play 45 then a 54 and 60. If I'm between pitching wedge and sand wedge I prefer a 3/4 swing. I think it's more accurate then full shots with 3/4 swings. However I probally should put one in the bag to not even think of 3/4 9 or pw, but I love my 2 hybrid

Play whatever fits your game or your gaps man. No worries

---
- ^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Im 52, 56, 60 with my wedges but going to try a 50, 54, 60 setup. My pw is a 46, so I figure it'll be more consistent gaps than what I have now. Keeping the 60 as I use it for cutesy shots trying to pop the ball up over/put of trouble and am comfortable with it.

2 Quick Questions about my Wedge options.

1. Do you prefer your GW to match your Irons or your Wedges? I have both a GW for my irons @ 50* and also a Vokey GW @ 50* but I go back and forth all the time as to which to play as they each have their pros and cons. I hit the GW about 80-90yds, I probably hit the iron GW a tad further than the vokey. PS I am not a long hitter a 7i is about 140 for me and my PW is 105ish.

One one hand, I like my Iron GW for hitting full shots becuase it seems to be more forgiving. On the other, I prefer the Vokey 50* Gap wedge becuase its more versatile around the green for chips and pitches.

Which do you think I should go with and why?
Id go with the Vokey. Wedges have short enough shafts that forgivness of the clubhead should matter as much as the versaility of the Vokey is.

2. I'm also curious as to what lofts I should use for my wedges after the 50*? I have several vokeys so I can play all sports of combos but just curious which you think would better suited. I can go 50, 54, 58 or 50, 55, 60, or even 50, 54, 58, 62 (which I would have to remove a longer club). Right now, I currently use the 55/60 but have thought about going to maybe 54 and 58. My PW has 45* and my GWs are 50*

So which setup do you think I should go with?

That's it, I would appreciate any advice or insight you have.
Its really a matter of person preference but I prefer to have fairly even gaps from my PW, GW, SW and LW. Personally, I carry a 43* PW, 48* gap wedge, 54* sand wedge and a 60* lob wedge. That gives me a fairly even set of yardage gaps and gives me a lot of versatilty in terms of shots around the green.

I think I am goona go with the 50* vokey wedge instead of the GW form my irons. That answers Question 1. thanks for the feedback.

Question 2 - I have not decided what lofts to go with. If Irons have an avg of 4* difference of loft + approx .5 in change in shaft length, these factors produce 10-12yd gaps in distance. However, when it comes to wedges, they are usually all the same length and just the loft changes. So, I can't help but think having greater gaps in lofts of 5* or even 6* with wedges should translate to the 10-12yd gapping that irons produce because there is no change in Wedge shaft length. This is why I currently am going with the 50,55,60.

Thoughts?

Id just leave it the way your signature is now.
I think I am goona go with the 50* vokey wedge instead of the GW form my irons. That answers Question 1. thanks for the feedback.

Question 2 - I have not decided what lofts to go with. If Irons have an avg of 4* difference of loft + approx .5 in change in shaft length, these factors produce 10-12yd gaps in distance. However, when it comes to wedges, they are usually all the same length and just the loft changes. So, I can't help but think having greater gaps in lofts of 5* or even 6* with wedges should translate to the 10-12yd gapping that irons produce because there is no change in Wedge shaft length. This is why I currently am going with the 50,55,60.

Thoughts?

Am I the only one who isn't seeing the point of the Scor? By that I mean how is it any different than using 4 wedges of the same brand ie vokeys or clevelands?

To me its bringing all of your scoreing irons closer together in feel and function. I myself have Nickent 4DX Pro 9i and PW, then a CG15 GW, CG14 SW and back to a CG15 LW. Theres a huge difference in feel and weight between the Nickents and the CG's, then there's a big difference between the CG15's and the CG14. At this point I actually feel like I hit my CG14 much better and a little farther than the GW, lol. A ballanced approach with a system just seems like it would take a lot of elements out of the mix that harm my game. Hope that helps.

Back