The Open Championship Contest & Thread Sponsored by Callaway Golf [SPOILERS]

Well I haven't been following the thread all morning but I did watch so label me a skimmer! I did watch the Open for pretty much the majority of Darren and Dustin's round. DC was very deserving and earned his championship. Seemed meant to be for sure with all the great bounces he got, but again he earned it! It was interesting to see PHil get it going early but couldn't keep it rolling (ala Tiger at the masters sorry for the skim has this been mentioned?).

Just as it WAS meant to be for DC it wasn't for Dustin. He almost made it interesting there but his putter never seemed to heat up. I think I heard that he was the best putter statistically for the week? Rickie seemed to play pretty well all things considered so hopefully he can remember this for future sundays in contention.

All in all it was a great championship! I enjoyed watching a lot of the coverage Saturday and Sunday. Now I have the rest of the day to do... honey do's.

Great win for someone who deserved it!

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Of the 3+ years I have been watching golf this is the first Open Championship that I actually enjoyed watching. Although, I still hate how the weather always seems to be crappy and the cameras are wet from the rain.

Now it all comes down to who had the best guys that "almost" had it...

I don't think that having only Phil and Rory that made it to Sunday will do the trick. Rest of my guys flopped.

+1, that's all I had to make the cut.

Last edited:
For those at the top of the leaderboard, not in the entire tournament.

Ahhhhh. Thanks for the clarification. His putter seemed to be rolling pretty well yesterday, just not so much today.

Great tournament, wish I would have been able to watch more of it. Nice to see Darren Clarke held on and pulled off the win.

Great to see Darren win, but I was really hoping to see DJ finally pull it off. Definitely played better than his previous major rounds when he was in contention, especially considering the weather. I just don't understand why he went for the green in two on 14 when he was 2 strokes back, when a lay-up just short of the green could have left him with an easy chip to get one stroke closer. I guess if he would have pulled it off tho and not went out of bounds I wouldn't be thinking that though. Pretty good for a guy who was sick all weekend. Hopefully it really brings back his confidence, he has been in contention a decent amount this year I think he's got another win up his sleeve soon.

Great tournament. Too bad Phil couldn't close the deal after his hot start.

Although, I still hate how the weather always seems to be crappy and the cameras are wet from the rain.

Wet......heck there are lucky the camera's don't float away.

Well it was in doubt for a couple of holes. Good for Clarke, I can't think there's a single person who's disapointed that he won. He deserved this one...somewhere monty is sweeping :D

Well it was in doubt for a couple of holes. Good for Clarke, I can't think there's a single person who's disapointed that he won. He deserved this one...somewhere monty is eating :D

Had to be done....hehe
FIFY

Nice little picture from the locker room at Royal St. George's to cap the week:

scaled.php

scaled.php

That is an awesome private picture...Congrats to DC who seems like a great guy. Hate to see so many Americans come lose and not win it, but DC is certainly not a guy I could root against.

scaled.php

Great shot of a great champion. His life will never be the same.

Well, What a tournament, what a final day. Obviously the big feel good story is Clarke, everyone's happy for him, the roar's he was getting today gave me goosebumps (the eagle on 7 was a ryder cup roar), i'm sure i'm not the only one. Good for golf all around.

Of course those aren't the only storylines, unfortunately whenever one guys wins, there are a few other guys that lose. Today I think a lot of that media backlash will fall on Phil and Dustin's shoulder's for the way in which they lost their opportunities. I think the best rounds of the day were Clarke and Sergio at -2, so I think that regardless of how it happened, the course today wasn't going to yield anything better (because it didn't), so while dustin and phil had rounds of better than that going, it probably just wasn't going to happen today, regardless of how it happened. However i suspect it won't stop the usual slick haired suit suspects from saying that they choked.

Phil's charge was huge (and dare I say a little reminiscent of eldrick's charge at augusta this year, very similiar also in terms of how their charge's came to a screeching halt.), he was as on fire as on fire gets in that weather. The thing of it is that he was still striking the ball really well and hitting good approach shots for a lot of the back 9, but after the yip his putting completely vanished.
Dustin seemed to be completely out of it early with some bad play (his bad pitch shot on 5, after he over drove the green and settled for par, I thought he was done after that), but he scratched his way back, had a shot, had to take a shot, and hit a bad shot. Is it considered a choke when he never really had the lead at any point (he had it for a hole or two on saturday, and that was it for the week) and had to be aggressive to have a shot?
Like I said above, I think based on the scores that the course wasn't going to allow any better than -2; even though phil and dustin gave away their shots in a choke-style, I think that was just how the course was playing. It was going to get you in some form, it wasn't going to allow 4,5 under or better. It just happened to get them in the manner in which it did.

This week turned out to be a celebration of Darren Clarke, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I think some of the other big winners of the week were Rickie Fowler, he played as well as i've ever seen him play, even on sunday he played well and kept grinding out pars, just couldn't make any putts. I think, much like tom watson, rickie playing in those great plains winds has made him a better links player than any of us ever gave him credit for. I think he'll win won of those claret jugs one day.

Royal St. George. I recall earlier this year where many experts said this was a "meh" track. Well after this week I disagree, the players loved it, the fans enjoyed it, it looks great on tv, it played fair in any weather the north atlantic threw at it. other than Clarke, I think Royal St. George was the biggest winner of the week.

...After consecutive major wins by McIlroy and Clarke, Faherty is now the odds on favorite at the PGA Championship :D

Great tournament. Too bad Phil couldn't close the deal after his hot start.

He played so well in the front 9, I was really pulling for him!! Fell apart on the back... It's really too bad.

I was happy for him.. Nce Victory

A great tournament. Couldn't root against Clarke, though I would have preferred a Glover, Kim, Johnson victory. The main thing, nice to see a major play tough. Despite Rory's domination at the US Open, this is the type of golf I like to see. I want them to grind it out like I have too! Also, great pic above of Clarke.

Somewhat funny remarks by Rory afterward, look out for him at the next clear blue and sunny Open!

I'm really happy to see Darren Clarke winning and it was quite an emotional time given what he's been through over the past few years.

I'm originally from Northern Ireland and it makes me proud that our wee country, with a population of just 1.7 million, has produced 3 different Majors winners over the past 13 months. Great work guys and here's to many more.

Was interesting to see a stat that said of the last 17 Majors, 7 had been won by a European, and 6 of those have been from the island of Ireland (3 wins by Padraig Harrington).

DC on the news this morning, smiling and chatting away.

He still hasn't been to bed yet; partying all night. What a champ!

When was the last time an American didn't win a single major in a year? It's probably going to happen this year.

Back